nikkikole Tapering from 10mg Celexa & 75mg Bupropion

nikkikole

I'm taking the following:

10mg celexa for 2 years

75mg Bupropion for 1 year

I want to taper off of both and am so pleased to have this forum for reference! Thank You!

My dosages are low so please advise if I can do it faster or differently:

Celexa - going to do the liquid solution of 20ml and take half each day for 1st month, take 1 quarter each day 2nd month.  I know you don't suggest alternating days so what shall I do after the 2nd month?

My concern is the solution going bad as it will take 4 days to get through 1 10mg pill by the 2nd month.

Bupropion - Going to cut into quarters, reducing 1 quarter every 3 weeks until completely off

Thank you for your help!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nikkikole,

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.  What you are suggesting does not sound like a safe tapering plan.  Please would you start a topic for yourself in our introductions and updates section here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/3-introductions-and-updates/

We will be able to answer your questions and provide better ongoing support if you have your own thread.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi,  I'm very happy to have found this support group! Thank you for providing it!

I would like to taper from celexa and Bupropion and would appreciate any help.

10mg celexa - 2 yrs for deression

75mg Bupropion - 1 yr. to balance sexual side effects from celexa - increase energy

Thank you for your time and help!

• Administrator

Welcome, nikkikole.

I agree, your tapering plan seems too fast.

Why was the bupropion added to Celexa?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

We recommend using the risk reduction method of tapering by 10% per month, and only one drug at a time, this way, you minimize withdrawal symptoms and there is less disruption to your life as you safely taper and become medication free.

We usually suggest tapering the most activating drug first, in your case, that would be the buproprion (wellbutrin), but because of the reason it was added - for sexual side effects and to increase energy, I'm not sure, perhaps it would be better to start decreasing the celexa first to get the dose lower to decrease the side effects and then switch to tapering off the buproprion.

Are you experiencing any anxiety or sleep problems?

Here are our threads with tips for safely tapering from celexa and wellbutrin:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/877-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-buproprion/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

@Altostrata:  75mg Bupropion - 1 yr. to balance sexual side effects from celexa - increase energy

@ Petu: I agree to lower the celexa if I can not do both at the same time.   No anxiety.  No sleep problems...in fact...sleepy quite a bit but I'm pretty sure it's due to stress.  I do bookkeeping for our business that is run with my husband and recently took on position as department head with a gym fitness program which I also instruct.  I go to class in the morning...come home and try to focus and work...most often times end of taking a 3 hour nap.  I've also started taking Product B from Isagenix because those I know have been able to stop taking their depressions meds while on it.

I wouldn't normally venture into such a scheme but am hopeful.

Also I've cycled through a lot of baggage in counseling and feel I am in a much better place!   : )

So if I maintain my dosage of 75mg Bupropion and decrease my dosage of celexa by 10% each month...until completely off would that be sufficient?  Next I could concentrate on decreasing the Bupropion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Nikki, your plan for reducing Celexa would work, but alternatively you could also reduce the Celexa for a while, say to 5 mg or so, and then reduce the bupropion for a while in order to minimize the problems of overactivation that it can produce. I personally am a fan of taking meds down this way rather than one all the way while still on full doses of another one.

I found the side effects of Celexa really began to noticeably improve for me at around 3 mg (I came down from 10 also).

Please put a brief description of your drug history into your sig line, like this: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I'd recommend next reading through the topics in the Tapering section, if you haven't already, and following the links provided there.

Welcome to the forum. You can get the information and support here that you need to reduce your meds or come off them, safely.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.