SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ schizor: can the brain recover from antipsychotics?

schizor

Hi schizor, i got the same from an AD and i lost my bf. I told him this is not me and i had to go off the pills. He didnt wait for me to recover and now im in hell from withdrawal and losing him. The only thing that gives me power is that if he really loved me he would still be with me. U dont leave someone u love in a dark hour. Anyway, im trying to say for thr last almosy half year i lost my self too. I hope i ll find it back.

1 year and 2 months on Venlafaxine, started 15o now 75

1 year and 1 month olanzapine /zyprexa/

off zyprexa 2 weeks ago

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schizor

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• dalsaan

update:started taking some fish oil but  I have no improvement at all, I cant focus, cant read even long posts and sometimes I hit myself in the ******* head just to feel something

9/2013 to 1/2014 on zyprexa,

1/2014 to 3/2014 months on zoloft

cold turkeyd all meds but still suffering from anhedonia

01/2015 recovered, my old self is back

06/2015  better and stronger person 

manic episode and total relapse

update:started taking some fish oil but I have no improvement at all, I cant focus, cant read even long posts and sometimes I hit myself in the ******* head just to feel something

Exactly the same for me. Do you have sex side effects too? If not at least consider yourself lucky for that.

I dont know celexahell, what girl will ever find interest in a retard with an amputated spirit even if such a girl exist i dont think I will be attracted to her even if she was the most beautiful model there is, I wouldnt even notice her. I lack desire for relationships, I lack empathy,I dont care about anything anymore, there a freaking ants crawling on the floor,because I dont clean my room anymore, I just dont care.  

I dont know celexahell, what girl will ever find interest in a retard with an amputated spirit even if such a girl exist i dont think I will be attracted to her even if she was the most beautiful model there is, I wouldnt even notice her. I lack desire for relationships, I lack empathy,I dont care about anything anymore, there a freaking ants crawling on the floor,because I dont clean my room anymore, I just dont care.  

Trust me, I completely understand. I feel like my life is completely over. Everything seems completely pointless.   But if you still can get horny though like a normal person, consider yourself very lucky for that.   Sexuality was a huge part of my life and it's been stolen from me.  I can still perform but it feels robotic.  

I can totally relate....

Hope it gets better

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• Administrator

The two of you are doing a great job of making each other feel terrible.

This is the way I look at it: You can't tell the future. Either you recover or you don't. Since there are only 2 outcomes, each is 50% probable. (In reality, far, far more people recover than don't.)

So you can sink yourself into contemplation of the worst outcome or you can strengthen your recovery by thinking about a good outcome. Either way, you're right. In fact, the more you brood, the more you create obstacles to your recovery -- but that's your choice and you can make it if you wish.

celexahell, since you're having windows and are clearly gradually improving despite yourself, the negative support you're giving schizor seems kind of mean to me.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

OliviaS you are 2 years off and you still feel like this? No improvement at all?

EDIT: sorry I forgot we talked before, my memory is really poor

• Moderator Emeritus

Schizor

The fish oil not a quick fix, you have only just started it. Give it time

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Schizor,

You've only been off the drugs completely for four or so months. You are now going through the very worst part of withdrawal.

Please don't compare yourself to others. Everyone's experience with antidepressant withdrawal is different, although with a lot of symptoms in common. Some people will have an easier time than you, some worse, and some will simply complain more than others even though their experience may not be as painful. Antidepressant withdrawal is truly a new frontier where only a few people have knowledge, and even that isn't extensive enough to say how quickly any individual will recover.

As Alto said above, it's best for you to assume that you'll recover completely and to focus on the positive things that happen.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Ok, keep looking and feeding yourself with negative scary stuff.

You are becoming the worst enemy and biggest obstacle for you recovery.....

Me, on the other hand I am doing much better.I sang in front of a large audience today.It was a huge success

But in order to do this I've been struggling and fighting for 2 years now.

But as Alto says, it is your choice to be on the loosers side or on the winners side.

Good news is though, thay your resilient body will keep healing no matter what.

Even if you don't help much... :(

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Ok, keep looking and feeding yourself with negative scary stuff.

You are becoming the worst enemy and biggest obstacle for your recovery.....

Me, on the other hand I am doing much better.I sang in front of a large audience today.It was a huge success

But in order to do this I've been struggling and fighting for 2 years now.

But as Alto says, it is your choice to be on the loosers side or on the winners side.

Good news is thay your resilient body will keep healing no matter what.

Even if you don't help much... :(

"Each thought that you have, creates your future.Think positive"

• Administrator

Adam Lanza taking Fanapt may be an unfounded rumor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Schizor

How are you going?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I have no improvement dalsaan no emotions and I feel pleasusre only when I eat.

• Moderator Emeritus

Actually the fact that you feel pleasure when you eat is a good sign, believe it or not.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Actually the fact that you feel pleasure when you eat is a good sign, believe it or not.

ABSOLUTELY.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I also agree with this.  Being able to experience pleasure associated with something is evidence that you are still capable of experiencing pleasure.  I'm not able to feel pleasure regularly from anything yet.

Perhaps you could use this to increase the quality and enjoyment in your life.  I don't mean by eating all the time, because that will cause more problems, but by allowing yourself to have small amounts of your favorite foods on a regular basis and really letting yourself enjoy them.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I agree too. Yes i am 2 years off with almost 0 improvements, but there is no way you can compare to me.

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

I agree too. Yes i am 2 years off with almost 0 improvements, but there is no way you can compare to me.

Why is there no way I can compare to you? I mean I was loaded with big amounts off an antipsychotic and then doctors told me to quit them cold-turkey which I believe causes big damage to the frontal lobe of the brain

Firstly - I didn't take anti psychotics. I took SSRI's for 4 years - No ways is this comparable to you

Secondly - I had a severe adverse reaction - You didn't

Thirdly - I was on birth control pills for a long time and stopped 7 months ago - Not comparable to you

Fourthly - I have been emotionally abused by my boyfriend for 2.5 years - I doubt you can compare to that

Fifthly - I have taken a lot of antibiotics over the coarse of 2 years, because withdrawal caused my immune system to crash and have had various infections ever since

So there is really no reason to compare to me. I've said this to you before. There is no reason for you not to recover. You will get better, really!

well there are many antidepressant recovery stories but i dare you to find one antipsychotic recovery story, because there isnt any eapecially zyprexabecause this ia the drug that messes with the most receptors.

well there are many antidepressant recovery stories but i dare you to find one antipsychotic recovery story, because there isnt any eapecially zyprexabecause this ia the drug that messes with the most receptors.

Actually schizor I'm doing very well coming of it ,I'm now down to 2.5 mg and my sleep etc is getting back to normal.After a month if I'm ok I will reduce again,to get through this journey you have to remain positive

Good luck

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Administrator

schizor, you are incorrect. But only you can convince yourself of this.

How can I convince myself the oposite when I dont even remember what emotions are.I used to care about people around me, now all I care is to eat.

How can I convince myself the oposite when I dont even remember what emotions are.I used to care about people around me, now all I care is to eat.

are you having any counselling or cbt therpay ?

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

I would probably disagree and say Mirtazipine effects the most receptors. My doctor used the lowest dose of zyprexa to bridge me off of Mirtazipine. I was suicidal on Mirtz and had to be hospitalized. I have come off anti-psychotics before so you can't say there are no success stories. Most people who have no or litttle problems  never post to boards like this, only the ones with the most problems. So, that is one of the reasons that it appears to be no success stories. I had anhedonia while on Mirtz but my emotions came back when I was off of it. I do believe you will get your emotions back, but it may take some time. Everyone is different so please don't give up.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

I would probably disagree and say Mirtazipine effects the most receptors. My doctor used the lowest dose of zyprexa to bridge me off of Mirtazipine. I was suicidal on Mirtz and had to be hospitalized. I have come off anti-psychotics before so you can't say there are no success stories. Most people who have no or litttle problems  never post to boards like this, only the ones with the most problems. So, that is one of the reasons that it appears to be no success stories. I had anhedonia while on Mirtz but my emotions came back when I was off of it. I do believe you will get your emotions back, but it may take some time. Everyone is different so please don't give up.

chicken good to hear you came off zyprexa ok,im now down to 2.5mg and doing well

chicken good to hear you came off zyprexa ok,im now down to 2.5mg and doing well

Andy,

Actually I was just put on zyprexa as a bridge to taper from Mirtizapine while in the hospital. I've been on it less than a month. So far no problems.

The antipsychotic I've been on in the past was Seroquel. I've come off it twice with no problems. I don't really expect any problems from the xprexa, but only time will tell.

As for schizor, I believe his anhedonia is probably from the ssri not the antipsychotic. That's just my opinion though.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Andy,

Actually I was just put on zyprexa as a bridge to taper from Mirtizapine while in the hospital. I've been on it less than a month. So far no problems.

The antipsychotic I've been on in the past was Seroquel. I've come off it twice with no problems. I don't really expect any problems from the xprexa, but only time will tell.

As for schizor, I believe his anhedonia is probably from the ssri not the antipsychotic. That's just my opinion though.

im not a doctor but been on a few different medications and i think thats quite a clever bridge,zyprexa is very calming just watch the weight gain !

good luck with your recovery

Andy I am not having any theraphy, just dont see a point in it.I just feel something very strange in my forehead and the problem is chemical imbalance which these drug created .Every morning when I wake up it feels like i have been raped in my sleep.

I cant stand these nightmares anymore

• Administrator

schizor, what do you mean? When you wake up, what are your symptoms?

Every night I have strange nightmares that I remember which are like real and are very horrible.When I wake up I  feel as I was raped in the night because the nightmares are always some bad event or situation which I can not evade.And when I wake up there is a strange sensation in my frontal lobe.

How many hours are you able to sleep schizor? Are you able to get a decent amount of hours?

Did you ever have these dreams before the meds.?

Years ago, even before I took meds I would have a lot of the same recurring dreams over every week, especially plane crashes since I had a horrible fear of flying. Sometimes I would have these every week for long periods of time.

Are the dreams about the same bad events or are they just random?

March 2017 DRUG FREE