TXoilman: Reinstate or not?

TXOilman

Thanks for that clarification, Rhi. You (and the other mods) are so knowledgable - the information I've gleaned on SA  has been a God-send. I'm pretty sure it was here that I learned that lorazepam/ativan is considerably stronger than valium. If that's true, no wonder splitting a tiny .5 mg tab into separate doses makes a difference for me.

As I look more closely at TX's wife's history, it reminds me of my (and many others) situation - skipping doses (to taper Wellbutrin) because I didn't know any better.

I'm also learning the critical importance of keeping a symptom log - with AD w/d the devil is definitely in the details.

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

• 3 weeks later...

All,

My wife stopped the 0.05mg reinstatement after 17 days. Her last dose was 3 weeks ago today. The first week wasn't terrible, and some of the symptoms she was suffering from while on the drug diminished, but the last two weeks have been pure hell!!! She is fighting hard, but has many symptoms of Akathisia, severe pain in her joints and leg muscles, agitation/anxiety, very bad shaking all over, and she can't stop dwelling on why she decided to RI and all the reasons she should not have. She obviously had a serious adverse reaction and should have stopped immediately, but she didn't and now feels her life is ebbing away. She has no confidence that even the best ER in the Dallas area could help her if she went there. After 2 weeks of extremely severe symptoms, any ideas on how long before they began to diminish?

2006    Ativan, Ambien as needed to cope with breast cancer treatment - very small doses

2008    Lexapro 5mg "to control hot flashes"

2012    Lexapro 2.5mg - no problems noted with that drop

2014    Feb. Lexapro 1.25mg

2014    Mar-Apr Lexapro 0.625mg, eventually dropping frequency to twice weekly

2014    Apr 29 Final Dose of Lexapro

6/2014     Lexapro 0.2mg single dose

7/15/14    Lexapro 0.05mg reinstatement

• Moderator Emeritus

Its unlikely that a brief reinstatement of 0.05mg of lexapro has had any long term effect on the course of her withdrawal, that's if it had any effect at all.  It sounds like she is going through the normal windows and waves pattern of withdrawal, which is how most people experience withdrawal and recovery.

The windows and waves pattern of recovery

Its impossible to say how long it will take for you wife to recover from tapering too fast off 6 years of lexapro use.

She has always taken incredibly tiny amounts of the Ativan because she has always felt that her system didn't need much to "take the edge off". Wouldn't it be bizarre if some of these symptoms we have thought were totally related to Lexapro WD was actually related to Ativan "withdrawal".

Is your wife still using Ativan and Ambien on an irregular basis?  Irregular use of a benzo, no matter how small the amount, while in withdrawal can cause rebound anxiety once the drug wears off.  More regular use causes dependance and withdrawal if stopped, that would also need to be carefully tapered.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, she may find some useful non-drug ideas to help manage symptoms as she recovers.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes