SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

CrazyCanuck (CC) - Hello and Intro

crazycanuck1976

Hi All,

CC (Crazy Canuck) here.

A bit about myself.

First experience with psych meds was about 7 years ago during a very stressful time in my life.  Stress seems to exacerbate my "conditions" which seems to be a combination of mild to moderate (ADD, OCD, GAD and likely a few others).

When I was first put on an SSRI (Celexa) 7 years ago my world got turned upside-down and I have been on this merry-go round ever since.  I had a complete paradoxical reaction to the SSRI - went from being moderately depressed and anxious to a complete and utter basket case.  My GP at the time didn't put 2 and 2 together and simply upped the dose.

Finally after trial and error, Cipralex and klonopin seemed to take the edge off, but then a host of other things popped up, so more meds were added (Sound familiar)?

Looking back - I am convinced most of my problems are due to polypharmacy.

Finally met a pdoc a few years back who agreed and we've been working together ever since.

Life has been pretty good I must admit - I have now decided its time to get back to basics and rid myself of these meds one by one.

I have managed to get off Klonipin, but it took a long time - 2 years.  I probably could have done it much more quickly, but I just followed a schedule that my body/mind could deal with - with minimal interference in my life (Work family etc).

I am on relatively low doses of everything (see signature below).  But I am very sensitive to these meds, so I want to do it systematically and properly.  This is why I am here.

Best,

CC

Successfully eliminated:

1.0mg-.075mg of Klonopin (Clonazepam) over a two year period using milk dilution method.  Had some intermittent withdrawal, but adjustments and holds as necessary made the overall process relatively smooth.

Currently taking:

25mg lamictal ---> This is one my PDoc wants to tackle next.

10mg Cipralex (Escitalopram)

25-37.5mg Seroquel

Plan is to reduce all of the above to zero.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CC, welcome to SA. Sadly your story is not uncommon here, many people end up 

being on several meds at once when doctors just throw one after the other into the mix!

Well done on tapering the klonopin, and doing it slowly, sounds like you might have a gem of a 

doctor there!  Here at SA we usually advise tapering the anti depressant first , you can read why

here.. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

We recommend tapering one drug at a time, with cuts of no more than 10% of the current dose. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The best way is the 3 KIS's  

Keep it slow

Keep it simple

Keep it stable.   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks mammaP.

I was a passive member of BDR (Benzo Detox Recovery) for a few years prior to and during my benzo withdrawal.  They do indeed hold the opposite philosophy that the benzo should be eliminated first.  I'm no expert on the subject, but there are legitimate reasons for it - I think mostly because of the physical addiction properties of the drug.

From the experiences of others on the BDR site, it appears that Gaba is the slowest of the neurotransmitters to be able to recover naturally to normal regulation levels.  I can also say that there were numerous people on that site who benefited greatly with the addition of an SSRI to ease their benzo withdrawal.

I can't speak from personal experience, as I was on an SSRI prior to, during and after my benzo withdrawal.

One thing is for sure - we are all different.

Hi CC, welcome to SA. Sadly your story is not uncommon here, many people end up 

being on several meds at once when doctors just throw one after the other into the mix!

Well done on tapering the klonopin, and doing it slowly, sounds like you might have a gem of a 

doctor there!  Here at SA we usually advise tapering the anti depressant first , you can read why

here.. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

We recommend tapering one drug at a time, with cuts of no more than 10% of the current dose. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The best way is the 3 KIS's  

Keep it slow

Keep it simple

Keep it stable.   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Successfully eliminated:

1.0mg-.075mg of Klonopin (Clonazepam) over a two year period using milk dilution method.  Had some intermittent withdrawal, but adjustments and holds as necessary made the overall process relatively smooth.

Currently taking:

25mg lamictal ---> This is one my PDoc wants to tackle next.

10mg Cipralex (Escitalopram)

25-37.5mg Seroquel

Plan is to reduce all of the above to zero.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am not experienced with benzos but I believe the reason for tapering the anti depressant first

is because it is the most activating and SSRIs can be very difficult to taper with horrendous 

withdrawal symptoms which the benzo helps with. This is only when the benzo has been taken 

regularly for a period so addiction is probably already there. We don't recommend the addition 

of benzos if one isn't already taking them. 

It is tragic that psychiatric drugs are even more difficult to get off than heroin! 

You seem very knowledgeable and I hope your taper goes well for you.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cc

Welcome to the site. I think you have everything you need. Listening to your mind and body and letting them drive the process is very important. With that philosophy I'm sure you will be ok. How long since you last took klonopin?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on successfully getting off of Klonopin!  You did the taper exactly right, listening to your body and going as slowly as necessary.

I'm curious as to why your doctor wants you to get off of Lamictal next?  That also is a soothing sort of med that can help take the edge off antidepressant withdrawal. I'm sure he or she has good reasons and I would be interested in knowing them.

Welcome to the forum, CC.  You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, CC.

Yes, what is the reasoning to reduce the lamotrigine next? Seroquel is a far more harmful drug.

We do generally recommend reducing the antidepressant first -- please read the topic at the link mammaP gave.

However, if the drug combination is making you dopey, I can see a good reason for tapering another "brake" first.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.