High oxalate levels

Zoe

HI All-

I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with high oxalate levels causing some problems. I had eaten very high oxalate foods (broccoli, spinach & kale smoothies,nuts) all foods that I thought were healthy. Well, I recently found a new nurse practitioner who told me that I was eating way too many of these. So, I stopped them & B vitamins (she told me I was taking too many of them too). Anyway, I did ok for about a week, but then really started having more acute symptoms. Nausea, anxiety, hot flashes, sand colored stools, (sorry) I was reading up on oxalate dumping. Just checking here to see if anyone else had any similar reactions.

Thanks so much,

Zoe

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

• Administrator

How did you find out you had high oxalate levels?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ok- now I am embarrassed - I don't know for sure. I do know that there are blood tests for it that I am going to ask my nurse about tomorrow. She just mentioned that I was eating way too many of these things.For the past 3 years I would make green smoothies with a whole bag of spinach & a lot of kale about 4 x a week. I also had a large amount of broccoli & carrots every day, plus green supplements. Plus more green stuff. I started looking up oxalates & what I was reading really started to make sense that that could be part of my issues.You are so knowledgeable I was hoping that you knew something about them. Thanks Alto..

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

• Administrator

Well, I guess you can overdo anything. If you stop them and your symptoms stop, you'll know the oxalates were the cause.

I had the blood test for oxalates and I believe it showed mine were high, too. My doctor was concerned because she said this indicated I was at risk for kidney stones. But I looked into this and found there was no connection between high blood oxalate and kidney stones (I forget why).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto- as always I appreciate you!!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

After reading your post, I did a little looking. The article I read said if the oxalate in food leads to high levels, it is a symptom of an unhealthy gut. Sometimes people called my old workplace who were exquisitely sensitive to oxalates, but it seemed to be downstream from a different problem, not the primary problem.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 7 years later...
On 7/13/2014 at 11:55 AM, Zoe said:

HI All-

I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with high oxalate levels causing some problems. I had eaten very high oxalate foods (broccoli, spinach & kale smoothies,nuts) all foods that I thought were healthy. Well, I recently found a new nurse practitioner who told me that I was eating way too many of these. So, I stopped them & B vitamins (she told me I was taking too many of them too). Anyway, I did ok for about a week, but then really started having more acute symptoms. Nausea, anxiety, hot flashes, sand colored stools, (sorry) I was reading up on oxalate dumping. Just checking here to see if anyone else had any similar reactions.

Thanks so much,

Zoe

Hi @Zoe

I'm experiencing oxalate issues as well and currently going through the dumping process. I was wondering how your experience went, did it help you heal your gut, and did it impact your WD symptoms due to the stress it may cause the body? Thanks!

-2014: Lexapro/escitalopram 10 mg, 2015-2021: Lexapro/escitalopram 20 mg

-10/2020-3/2021: decreased 20 mg to 15 mg, 1 mg a month

-4/2021: decreased to 10 mg, held for 11 days, 4/2021: decreased to 5 mg, held for 8 days

-4/2021: 3-6 days cold turkey lexapro, withdrawal symptoms so reinstated 2.5 mg 

-omeprazole taper: 9/2021 cut 25%, 10/20/21 25% cut, 12/1/21 25%, 12/28/21 25% cut, (9/36 beads of 40 mg)

-11/2020 omeprazole 20 mg, 3/2021: omeprazole 40 mg,

-Nordic Naturals Ultimate omega 3 fish pill: 1280 mg

-montelukast: 10 mg dailyzyrtec: 10 mg daily 

-3/20/2021-7/25: mesalamine 1.2 GM, 3 times a day - dropped

-birth control: Trilinyah 2014- 2/1/2021 quit cold turkey middle of pack 

7/16/2021-8/1/2021 Quicksilver Liposomal multivitamin liquid: biotin, zinc, Vitamins A, C, D E, K, Niacin,, Thiomine, Riboflavin,Vitamin B6, B12, 7/16/2021- 8/25/2021 - boswelia complex (tumeric. ginger, celery) - 2 a day - dropped

7/16/2021 - probiophage probiotic - dropped 

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2021 at 6:01 AM, Sicksagittarius said:

Hi @Zoe

I'm experiencing oxalate issues as well and currently going through the dumping process. I was wondering how your experience went, did it help you heal your gut, and did it impact your WD symptoms due to the stress it may cause the body? Thanks!

Hi! I know this thread is OLD however wanted to make contact. I am currently doing an elimination diet for histamine, salicylates as well as oxalates. Been having issues with globus and allergy-type symptoms since starting back on a healthy diet (for me this means high protein, high fat, certain veg and things that are generally high in oxalates like sweet potato (small amounts daily), dark chocolate, avo, almonds - turns out really everything I was eating was high oxalate).

As I understand, high oxalates can cause allergy-type symptoms and make reactions to other natural food-chemicals (like salicylates and amines) worse. I've been on the diet for 4 days and will see what happens. I currently feel better (certain symptoms have improved a lot, like the globus feeling and excessive mucus) but I am struggling to keep my blood sugar stable, since I've been eating very low carb for some time. I would be interested if you had continued with the diet and what your outcomes were?

43yo woman. Cipralex/Lexapro (10mg active ingredient Escitalopram) treatment started March 2007 (28yo at the time). Two unsuccessful tapers (2008 and 2013). Two psychiatric hospital stays (2007 and 2014). Other psychiatric drugs were prescribed and taken from Apr 2014 until June 2016. Tapered off all of the below by June 2016 and from then on have been on Cipralex/Lexapro only.

List of drugs that I had tapered off of so far:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Esperide (Sulperide), Dormonoct (Loprazolam), Rivotril (Clonazepam, Klonopin), Prozac (Fluoxetine), Cipramil (Citalopram, Celexa), Stilnox (Zolpidem), Urbanol (Clobazam), Olexar (Olanzapine) and Seroquel (Quetiapine). 

Taking Cipralex (Lexapro) only since June 2016.

Currently on extended Cipralex (Lexapro) taper since Nov 2016.

Started compounded liquid suspension on 01Nov 2022 (1.3mgai/2.5ml). Had problems with flavourant in compounded liquid. June 23: Started to make own liquid from commercial saline then had eye blinking. July 23: Making own liquid using home-made isotonic saline and adding this liquid to gelatine capsules so the liquid will not irritate my esophagus.

Okt23: Current dosage 1.15mg Escitalopram. Jan 2024: 1.12mg Escitalopram. 

• 6 months later...
On 3/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, Lenaf said:

Hi! I know this thread is OLD however wanted to make contact. I am currently doing an elimination diet for histamine, salicylates as well as oxalates. Been having issues with globus and allergy-type symptoms since starting back on a healthy diet (for me this means high protein, high fat, certain veg and things that are generally high in oxalates like sweet potato (small amounts daily), dark chocolate, avo, almonds - turns out really everything I was eating was high oxalate).

As I understand, high oxalates can cause allergy-type symptoms and make reactions to other natural food-chemicals (like salicylates and amines) worse. I've been on the diet for 4 days and will see what happens. I currently feel better (certain symptoms have improved a lot, like the globus feeling and excessive mucus) but I am struggling to keep my blood sugar stable, since I've been eating very low carb for some time. I would be interested if you had continued with the diet and what your outcomes were?

Hi, how are you doing in regards to your diet? I'm also having issues with histamine, oxalates and salicylates. I've been told I need to gradually reduce my oxalate diet so I don't dump to fast. 

Citalopram 10mg sep14-nov14,

cit 20mg nov14-jan15,

cit 40mg jan15 -jan22,

tapered cit 40mg-0mg in 10 days.

mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg jan22-Mar22,

tapered in 1 week.

citalopram 20mg apr22- may22( had a reaction this time, hives everywhere),

no taper cold turkey 

sertraline 50mg then 100mg may22-nov22, tapered in 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Tigz91

On 9/2/2023 at 9:13 AM, Tigz91 said:

Hi, how are you doing in regards to your diet? I'm also having issues with histamine, oxalates and salicylates. I've been told I need to gradually reduce my oxalate diet so I don't dump to fast. 

The past few months have been a rollercoaster. I have identified my food sensitivities and identified the globus as being due to reflux. I have given up the low chemical diet for now and have been focusing on eating intuitively since I need a break from focusing so much on food, diet etc. I now concentrate on not restricting types of foods, and while still being mindful of how certain foods make me feel, I am not especially focusing on satiety and eating things I like. My overall aim is to not have reflux and so I am also begin mindful of figuring out ways to reduce that. 

If you're interested to learn more about Oxalates, the book by Sally K Norton is good, and there is also a facebook group calles TLO-Trying low oxalates. They have very comprehensive and accurate lists with the oxalate content of foods that cannot be found anywhere else. As you rightly said, the aim is not zero oxalates, but a gradual lower level while watching your symptoms and nourishing yourself well. 

For the histamines and salicylates, you can look at the website www.fedup.com.au or the book Fed Up by Sue Dengate to start figuring out your sensitivities. 

Best of luck to you!

43yo woman. Cipralex/Lexapro (10mg active ingredient Escitalopram) treatment started March 2007 (28yo at the time). Two unsuccessful tapers (2008 and 2013). Two psychiatric hospital stays (2007 and 2014). Other psychiatric drugs were prescribed and taken from Apr 2014 until June 2016. Tapered off all of the below by June 2016 and from then on have been on Cipralex/Lexapro only.

List of drugs that I had tapered off of so far:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Esperide (Sulperide), Dormonoct (Loprazolam), Rivotril (Clonazepam, Klonopin), Prozac (Fluoxetine), Cipramil (Citalopram, Celexa), Stilnox (Zolpidem), Urbanol (Clobazam), Olexar (Olanzapine) and Seroquel (Quetiapine). 

Taking Cipralex (Lexapro) only since June 2016.

Currently on extended Cipralex (Lexapro) taper since Nov 2016.

Started compounded liquid suspension on 01Nov 2022 (1.3mgai/2.5ml). Had problems with flavourant in compounded liquid. June 23: Started to make own liquid from commercial saline then had eye blinking. July 23: Making own liquid using home-made isotonic saline and adding this liquid to gelatine capsules so the liquid will not irritate my esophagus.

Okt23: Current dosage 1.15mg Escitalopram. Jan 2024: 1.12mg Escitalopram. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy