SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LesPaul1959: Sertraline withdrawal failling

LesPaul1959

Hi Everyone.

I've just joined this site as I really am at a loss. Here's a brief history of what has happened so far.

In 2009 my son was born. I found it very difficult at the time. I'll admit I didn't bond with him as I should have and it took me sometime to feel comfortable with being a father. My wife was diagnosed with postnatal depression shortly after that. I supported her as best I could, being understanding as much as I could understand something I wasn't going through. 

At the start of 2010 my Mum fell ill and was taken into hospital. She had an operation and all seemed fine. It was around this time that I started to find things difficult. My wife took a week to take our son down to see her parents who live some distance away. I stayed home at work. It was during this time on my own I experienced my first panic attack. I was lying in bed, trying to sleep. Every time I started to relax I got this rush of what felt like adrenaline. The best way to describe it is that moment on a roller coaster where you start to go over the first dip after slowly climbing up and up. My wife suggested I go to the Doctor who put me on Sertraline. My Mum then took ill on holiday, my Dad was great and keeping me updated but obviously I was worried. She came back home after a few weeks and was discharged from hospital. She went back in shortly after my 30th birthday and died from Cancer few weeks later. I was numb from the tablets and coped as best I could. I still to this day don't think I ever grieved like I should have. Shortly after this we rented out our flat and bought a house, again another huge stress.

The next year (2011) I tried coming off them. I was on 100mg then tried to go cold turkey. That didn't work and really stopping like that was stupid. So after some real hard and emotional times I went back to the Doctor who said to go back on them. I also had 6 weeks on an hour a week therapy or counseling to get to the bottom of it. The result was she thought I was upset by my Mums passing. Which is a given but to me I didn't feel that but listened to what she said as she was feeding of my reactions and perhaps there was something there I didn't realise. 

I tried coming of the tablets in 2012, this time by gradually reducing the dose. I ca't remember the exact time but it may have been about October. Certainly by the start of November I was in a state. My wife was great and my rock. I didn't enjoy anything and she helped me through it. I think we've both been great for each other, without her I don't think I'd have made it through.  A trip to the Doctors and we decided to go back on them again, gradually building up to 150mg. I started to tapper in the summer going from 150mg to 100mg for a month, then down to 50mg for a month than a month of 50mg every other day. I've been on that solidly until 6 weeks ago when I stopped. 

I felt fine on these tablets the whole time except for one blip. I never drink, I mean I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been drunk or had a drink in the last 3 years. I was playing with my band and decided to have a drink, then I ended up getting drunk. It felt kind of like old times with my band when I was single, but obviously I'm not. It's hard to put into words but for a moment I felt like that would be a good thing and what I wanted. Nothing happened but just that the thought had entered my mind disturbed me. I felt bad the next day not just from the alcohol but from how I had thought the night before. Me and my wife have a very honest relationship, we can talk about pretty much anything. So I told her. Her response was, "Do you still find me attractive?". I answered with, not as much as I used to. I know that sounds bad but I had to tell her how I honestly felt, as terrible as it was I can't lie to her. We talked and she asked what it was about her I wasn't as attracted to. Again I was honest and said she'd put on weight, her depression can make it hard to connect with her at times there was other stuff but that was the main thing. I told her I know I've changed and I understand if she felt the same about me. This all happened about a month before I came off my tablets altogether. I put it down to the alcohol being a depressant.

Now that I'm off them these feelings have returned. It's as if I'm attracted to other women and don't find my wife attractive anymore. We're on holiday just now and staying at her parents for a couple of days. She knows something is wrong but I can't bring myself to say it to her again. I don't feel I have any enjoyment out of anything anymore at all. Things irritate my so quickly and I lose my temper fast. I went to see my favourite singer play for the first time ever and I felt anxious and barely able to enjoy any of it. I should enjoy that type of thing. I'm on the brink of tears nearly all the time and just feel as though I can't go on. I'm having panic attacks again and constantly feel on edge. My Doctor has suggested going back on sertraline at 50mg for 6 months then moving to something that's not an SSRI?

I feel like such a bad person for having these feelings and thoughts and also such a failure for not managing to come off these tablets successfully. I should be enjoying this time off with my wife and son but I'm just in hell with the both of them around. i don't want to feel like this or think these things, I just want to be back as I was. I never felt like this when I tried to come of them before, In fact I was drawn more to her. She was the one that got me through it all. 

Has anyone else had feelings like this? Any help or suggestions? I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. 

2013: Nov 50mg Sertraline, Dec 100mg Sertraline

2014: Jan 150mg Sertraline, Mar 100mg Sertraline, April 50mg Sertraline, May 50mg Sertraline every other day, Jun stopped, Mid July 50mg Sertraline, End July 30mg Duloxetine, Dec 60mg Duloxetine

2015: Jan 30mg mirtazapine

The more I think about what I've written, the more I want to add as they're somethings I have missed out.

I never felt depressed or down before I took Sertraline. Since coming off it I feel the anxiety coming back but feel down, depressed and just want to crawl into a hole and be by myself. 

Since coming off the tablets I worry about everything. My job, relationships with my friends and family, money, social situations, even the simplest of tasks can be full of dread. 

I don't know why this time I feel like this about my relationship with my wife. It's not like me, I love her. Every other time I've just wanted to cuddle up to her, tell her everything and just talk. These thoughts are bringing me so much anguish. It isn't just her but I'm fixating on it for some reason.

Does any one know what alternative medicines the Doctor might have been referring to when he said none SSRI? I think he mentioned that they were sometimes used to treat epilepsy.  

The things that used to bring me joy that aren't associated with people like music, guitar collecting just bring me more stress and I have no enjoyment from them. 

2014: Jan 150mg Sertraline, Mar 100mg Sertraline, April 50mg Sertraline, May 50mg Sertraline every other day, Jun stopped, Mid July 50mg Sertraline, End July 30mg Duloxetine, Dec 60mg Duloxetine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LesPaul. Welcome to SA.

I'm just another member, but wanted to welcome you. An administrator or moderator will be along shortly with questions and guidance. From reading about your tappering schedule, it sounds like you may have tapered too quickly... With the alternating days thing maybe exacerbating things. But like I said, I'm only a member and the admins and/or mods will weigh-in with you on all that.

I will say, that from my own experience and hearing the experience of others, what your going through, whether it be side effects of the Sertraline or withdrawal symptoms, are not uncommon when it comes to these drugs. Prior to taking Prozac (another ssri) depression and anxiety were not an issue... They only popped up when I would attempt to stop taking Prozac. So back on I would go. It's a cycle you'll read a lot about that here. It's what keeps a lot of people on these meds and what makes it so difficult to stop taking them.

Myself, while taking Prozac and in the early stages of withdrawal my feelings toward people, even the ones I love, were very blunted at times. Even in my longterm romantic relationship it felt... I don't know... Blah, I guess. Uninspired? I'm not sure what I'd call it.

Anyway, I suggest you poke around this site. Glad you found this site when you did.

Again, welcome!

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello & welcome from another member as well. Just from reading your story I can tell you that what you describe..the flatness, lack of enjoyment, wanting to be alone, having difficulty tolerating social situations are all classic withdrawal symptoms from coming off of an AD too fast. You are not alone in this… and you will get lots of support and educated advice here. I'm very glad that you found this forum and there is lots of hope that you can reinstate at a low dose and taper off very, very slowly.

The people with the most expertise in these situations will want to know more precisely how you last tapered. It sounds like you tapered recently from 150 mg.. correct? The rule of thumb here is no more than 10 % per month & from what you described you tapered much faster than that so its no wonder that you are suffering. You can read more about reinstating here.

Also.. please complete a "signature " for yourself. The instructions for that are here.

In the mean time, please be gentle with yourself, realize that the feelings that you are experiencing are from tapering too fast and that by reinstating a small amount ( someone else will have to advise you on this) you should begin to feel better soon & in more control.

Deep breaths, gentle walks, soothing music, anything that you know will make you feel calm & ride out the storm for now until one of the mods comes along hopefully will help.

Do some reading, work on your signature and hold on. It DOES get better!!!

Welcome again. You'll do great.

RU :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LesPaul,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story.  I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult time at the moment and I'm glad you found us.

The first thing I want to say is please stop giving yourself a hard time about something you thought about one night when you were drunk.  Thoughts and feelings are much less important than what we actually do.  Having feelings of attraction sometimes to people other than our partner is normal.  You didn't act on those feelings and that's what's important.

I agree with the previous posts in that what you have described sounds like you are experiencing withdrawal from sertraline.  You tapered much too fast and the method you used of alternating days is discouraged as it tends to unbalance the nervous system.  We recommend tapering by reducing by no more than 10% every month and keeping everything routine and stable.

It sounds like its been 6 weeks since you last took any sertraline, you may be able to reinstate a small amount, stabilize and then continue with a slow, safe taper.  At 6 weeks, there is a good chance this will work to stop or minimize withdrawal symptoms, so you can start functioning in your life again.

Please read the link areyouthere provided about reinstatement, also, it would be helpful if you added dosages and tapering method to details in your signature.

Here is a link with lots of information explaining withdrawal syndrome:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

If you decide to try reinstatement, you will need some information specific to sertraline, you can find that here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

Please carefully read through the links and ask questions if anything isn't clear.  If I were in your situation, I would try reinstating a small amount, as little as 20mg might be enough to reduce symptoms and make you feel better.

You have experienced a lot of difficult life changes over the last few years, but I'm fairly certain that stopping your antidepressant too fast is causing withdrawal symptoms.

What you are experiencing is not unusual, try to relax and know that it will get better, you will find a lot of help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree, from reading over your history, that you would do best by reinstating a small amount now then waiting a while to stabilize on that low dose, then tapering off very slowly.

The points that stand out to me are the multiple attempts to come off, all too fast, all unsuccessful, and then going back on and up and down on doses quite a bit in only a couple of years; and then "tapering" both too fast and by having days off the med and days on it, which we find produces a bad withdrawal result.

The fact that it was not easy even the first time indicates that you need to do a slow, stable taper. The other experiences are all destabilizing to the nervous system and make your odds of being successful now, feeling better any time soon, pretty slim, in my experience. In fact given your history and the way you tapered, I expect you will continue to get worse, although the symptoms will come and go and change. But the emotional symptoms are not likely to improve substantially and will probably get worse, just based on what I've seen with hundreds of other people.

Not saying this to bum you out, just to let you know why I'm advising that you reinstate on a low dose.  So often people come on here and question our advice and expertise, and they end up just hurting themselves worse. 

It's up to you if you want to stay on these meds the rest of your life, but in our experience, what's happening to you is pretty typical for people who are sensitive to withdrawal effects and don't taper properly.  We find that people in your situation can usually stabilize on a lower dose of the med. It takes a while to feel better, in your case I would expect it to take a few months, but once you're feeling pretty good you're on a lower dose so you'll have fewer of the negative effects of the drug. And then you can taper off at a very slow rate (given your history, the 10% that we usually recommend will probably be too fast at first).

Read over the information in our Tapering section, the topics pinned at the top and the links offered in those topics, to get a sense of how we approach things here. Read the piece on the "three KIs" at the top of this page. And I highly recommend also reading the book Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker, and checking out the website "cepuk.org."

Good luck to you.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi all.

Thanks for all the kind words. I don't feel like a complete idiot now  :)

As of last night I'm back on 50mg of Sertraline. I tend to not feel too well for about 24hrs when I start taking them. So I'm up at 4am.

I couldn't use the link to the signature as it didn't work for me, but I did find a thread. Used what info was in there and made the below. I;m sure someone will tell me if it's wrong. 

Some good news. My wife and I went out for a quiet drink (though the barmaid made fun of me for ordering J20, lol) and she understands how I feel. I told her how I was feeling about her, everything and she was fine with it. We talked through it.

I read up on the 10% rule. That's sounds a lot more gradual and easier on the system than what I've previously be led to believe to do. Until today I wasn't even aware you could get sertraline in anything other then 50mg tablets. After some time back on the 50mg I'll start to try it but I will speak to my doctor about it. 

Thanks again for not beating me down for being honest. 

So yeah, back on 50mg and see ho wit goes.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello LesPaul and welcome from me too.

I'm glad you took the advice and found this site. And thank you for being honest. It benefits us all. I'm very glad about the conversation you had with your wife.

I just wanted to warn you that there is a reason we advise reinstating a smaller dose after you have been off medication for 6 weeks. Your CNS might have already made some adjustments and might take the full dose too much to cope now. It  might be teh erason why you are waking up early...

So monitor your symptoms carefully and then we can act accordingly. 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Think I gotcha Bubble, thanks. So far it's been one dose of 50mg. How long should I progress before I seek advise on symptoms? 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not so knowledgeable about reinstating so would wait for our friends on the other side of the Atlantic to wake up.

It would be good to keep a note of your symptoms because thsi is the way in which your body communicates with you telling you what works and what doesn't. And your body, that is CNS is the main expert here.

Changing doses is something that should be avoided  so we'll see what others have to say. 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

20mg may have been enough as I wrote in my previous post, but now you have taken 50mg, I don't know what to suggest, constantly changing dose is not good, perhaps stay with that for now and see how you feel.

Please read through the links provided, they contain answers to a lot of questions, explain what is actually happening and give reasons why we suggest the things we do.

It generally takes 4 -7 days to find out if reinstatement is helpful.

It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition of a neuroactive drug. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction, observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the reinstatement is helping. If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.

About reinstating here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Moderator Emeritus

Meanwhile you might take a read through of our Tapering section--the pinned topics at top and the links in those topics. There should be a thread on tapering sertraline and it will tell you if it's possible to get it in a liquid form. If not, you can probably make your own liquid, but I don't know that for sure. The info is in there.

Keep a journal noting what time you take your dose and what time you have symptoms. I agree, after three months off, you are probably over sensitized and would be better off on a lower dose.  But your body is the real expert, see what it tells you.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi guys.

Just an update. I've still not decided about the Sertraline, in that should I go back on or not. I'm scared that if I do I'll be on it for the rest of my life. I've been pushing through without it (only having had that one dose) and I can say mentally I'm in agony. Everything bothers me, my temper flares too quickly, I'm upset by everything and nothing. 

I've read through the threads on withdrawing and I'm a little confused. People mention physical symptoms brain zaps, dizziness etc... but from the replies here you suggest my mental state may be from withdrawl too. In other posts people have said that the physical symptoms may be avoided or greatly reduced by slow tapering but that the feeling (like how I feel) would come back. So I guess what I'm asking is if I do go back on the tablets and slow taper am I likely to be in this situation again or could it be avoided by slow tapering? Just when the people above have said my current state is from coming off too fast and it's normal, that going back on them and slow tapering is the right thing to do to get how I'm feeling now in check and for it not to come back? Hope that makes sense.

I'd also like to say thank you to everyone  :) I don't feel so alone.

• Administrator

The emotional symptoms can also be due to withdrawal syndrome and a "do over" of the last leg of the taper might help.

Or, you can manage your symptoms with non-drug therapies, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/ These are skills you will be able to use for the rest of your life.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

and other topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone.

Sorry for not being on here in sometime. As you can see from my signature I was put on Duloxetine at a 30mg dose. I felt like me to a point. Things bothered me but I coped, I got stressed but I coped. I never felt great but I was ok I guess. In the middle of December things just started feeling like they did back in July. I directed all my feelings towards my wife. Feeling like I didn't love her anymore, not being attracted to her, wanting to escape from everything and just start my life over. 

I went to my Doctor who put my dose up to 60mg. 2 weeks later I still felt the same. So I went back and saw another doctor who took me off Duloxetine and said in 4 days to go back on 50mg of Sertraline. On the 4th day (yesterday) I got an apt to see my Doc and she advised against the Sertraline and gave me 30mg mirtazapine. She said this would help me sleep too. 

I personally am in hell right now. I feel like I've lost out on so much feeling like this over the Christmas period. I didn't enjoy Christmas, the time off I've had or New Years eve. We have a 5 year old little boy who is great and at most points he's helped to ground me. I told my Doctor I need more than just tablets, that I need to learn to cope. She had said that if the Duloxetine didn't work I'd be referred to someone. When I asked I waa told I had to try mirtazapine for a month before she'd consider referring me.

I just feel I'm getting nowhere and am at a loss. I want to enjoy the time I have off with my family, I don't want to feel all this resentment towards my wife for how she looks and behaves. I just want to be me again. I don't want these thoughts and feelings to be real. 

Has anyone else felt like this and got through it? What are your experiences of mirtazapine? Can anyone offer advice?

Sorry for being so heavy on New years day.

• Administrator

Hello, LesPaul.

I'm sorry you've been having these difficulties. Do I understand that your doctors have been medicating you because of your feelings towards your wife?

One of the things these drugs can do, particularly if you've been on and off them, is make you irritable. Is that what's been going on?

About mirtazapine -- I suggest you use search in the Introductions forum to find others who have been taking it.

It's just another psychiatric drug, not a miracle pill.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LesPaul,

It might actually be the drugs which is making you feel the way you do about your wife.  Have a look through this thread:

Marriages Destroyed by SSRI SNRI - Topix

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hello, LesPaul.

I'm sorry you've been having these difficulties. Do I understand that your doctors have been medicating you because of your feelings towards your wife?

One of the things these drugs can do, particularly if you've been on and off them, is make you irritable. Is that what's been going on?

About mirtazapine -- I suggest you use search in the Introductions forum to find others who have been taking it.

It's just another psychiatric drug, not a miracle pill.

Hi LesPaul,

It might actually be the drugs which is making you feel the way you do about your wife.  Have a look through this thread:

Marriages Destroyed by SSRI SNRI - Topix

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies. I am irritable since I started taking the Mirtazapine but have been assured that it should pass within 4 weeks. 

I read the link and it has been helpful. I posted a response in there detailing what has brought me to this point. It is interesting others have had similar thoughts but not comforting. When you have these feelings they certainly seem real. I still do not know if they are real or not. I guess only time will tell. 

Even with my wife, son and Dad here who all know what I'm going through it's been hard and still is. I'm in hell right now. I don;t know if these new meds are gonna work or if meds are what's causing these feelings. 

At the moment I feel hot and light headed. Have done a lot since I started taking these tablets. My wife has been great, I've been honest and told her everything and she has still wanted to be here for me. 

LP1959,

I was looking at some of your posts and happened to read your signature: are the last 2 entries for 2014 and 2015 respectively? That might cause some confusion if the years are not stated and will be very important as time goes by.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I hope your ok... I just wanted to say I made a reply to your post on this thread 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6714-marriages-destroyed-by-ssri-snri-topix/page-3

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)