Drugstore Sleep Aids

Littleredhead

Good morning all.  Checking in with some news about my inability to sleep.  I live in Texas, and have found a sleep aid from a pharmacy called CVS.  It is called Somnapure PM. It is made by a company in Boston, MA.  Their website is www.peaklife.com   The ingredients are Bromelain, a natural extract derived from the stems of pinneapples, which help with aches and pains that keep some of us up at night.  Bromelain is 400 mg. of the supplement.  There is also Malatonin, 4 mg. and 600 mg. of what they call the complete tranquility blend, which includes, Valerian extract, hops extract (humulus lupulus) (flower) and Lavendar (lavandula angustifolia) (flower).  The directions state that you take two capsules 30 to 60 mins. before bedtime.  I have used this supplement for 5 nights now and am amazed at how much better I have slept.  Instead of waking every couple of hours all night long, I have only awakened once each night because I needed to go to the bathroom.  I have actually gotten some good sleep these past 5 nights, which has made my life during the day, so much easier.  I wanted to share this news with others on this site, as I have received so much good info and help here.  Peace to all. Littleredhead.

Cymbalta 2006-2008

Pristiq Dec. 2008 to present

Starting Effexor this week to wean from Pristiq

11-14-2013 Started Effexor, 50mg in morning, 25mg. in evening.

12-4-2013 cut 25 mg. evening tab in half will stay at two 25 mg. in morning and 1/2  25 mg. tab in evening for 4 weeks.

Goal:  Off all Anti-Depressants in 2014

Off Effexor January 30, 2014.  NEVER AGAIN will I allow a doctor to talk me into any medication!

• Administrator

Good to hear this helps.

Other than the melatonin, which is kind of high, it sounds like a pretty good "alternative" aid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Alto, can you tell me more about the melatonin being kind of high?  How much is to much melatonin?  I don't want to go down a road taking something that might bring about more problems.  I'm trying not to use it every night, as I am always afraid of getting hooked on something that will end up hurting me after everything I've gone thru getting off the Pristiq and Effexor.  Can you please give me more information about why you wrote that the melatonin is kind of high?

Many thanks, Littleredhead

Cymbalta 2006-2008

Pristiq Dec. 2008 to present

Starting Effexor this week to wean from Pristiq

11-14-2013 Started Effexor, 50mg in morning, 25mg. in evening.

12-4-2013 cut 25 mg. evening tab in half will stay at two 25 mg. in morning and 1/2  25 mg. tab in evening for 4 weeks.

Goal:  Off all Anti-Depressants in 2014

Off Effexor January 30, 2014.  NEVER AGAIN will I allow a doctor to talk me into any medication!

• Moderator Emeritus

If it works for you LRH then it's fine. Some people need only a tiny amount where others do

better with a higher dose.  I'm glad it works for you and that you are getting some good sleep.

If it works, it works!  Here is the topic on melatonin,  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/189-melatonin-for-sleep/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

See the melatonin topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/189-melatonin-for-sleep/

You may be able to get by with a half-tablet of Somnapure PM, or even just melatonin on its own.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Drugstore Sleep Aids

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy