SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nic3190605: Going off of Paxil and Abilify

Nic3190605

Hello everyone. I just had a bad 8 month withdrawl run and had to go back on my paxil and abilify because I became extremely angry. Looking to wean myself off of it.

Back on paxil after 8 month withdrawl. Before withdrawl I was on 10mg Abilify, 37.5 twice a day Paxil, 300mg Lithium, 1mg Ativan a day as needed and I took up to 4 a day. After withdrawl I went back on 5mg Abilify and 37.5 mg once a day Paxil. August 2014 stopped Abilify completely. On Paxil 40 mg. Little to no withdraw symptoms from abilify other than some dizziness. August 21st 2014 started on respiradone 2mg once at night and continue Paxil 40mg.Symptoms from respiradone including incontinence , weight gain and low energy. September 14th choosing to withdraw from respiradone and paxil on my own. (Going to talk to the doc on the 18th about tapering if I cant hang the next two weeks) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nic,

Welcome to SA!  You will find a supportive and knowledgable group here.  Could you tell us a little about how you went off last time, any symptoms you are currently experiencing and how you plan to taper next time?

Could I also ask you to fill in your signature, instructions are here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This helps us see very quickly your medication history without having to trawl back through your thread

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome from me too.

As Dalsaan wrote, n order to be able to give you more sugestions regarding your individual situation we would appreciate more details on your drug history. Did you take any other drugs before Paxil and Abilify? Dosages of drugs are also very important and dates, at least approximate of when you started and stopped taking these medication. What was the dose at which you stopped taking the drugs and what is the dose that you reinstated now?

8 months off the drug is quite a long time and your CNS might have become sensitised to the dose you were taking previously which might result in more symptoms. In any case, it would be good to wait for at leat a month (if not longer) before starting tapering again. In that time you can inform yourself on teh safe way to do it. For instance, tapering 2 medicatoions at the same time is not a good idea...

When we get more details from you, we will be able to say more.

Also, if this is the picture of you, you might want to replace it with an avatar to protect your anonymity. 

You will find a lot of friendly support here as well as a vast amount of information on safe tapering of drugs.

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

We can definitely help you with tapering, but we do need to know: how much you were taking and of what meds; how long you took them before you tried to get off them; how fast you tapered them (how much you cut and at what intervals) and when you quit them and at what doses you stopped; when you went back on them and at what doses you went back on; and if you're taking any other medications right now.

Eight months is very fast to come off two meds unless you had only been taking them for a few months to begin with. 

Please read through our informative materials in the Tapering section, the stuff pinned at the top and the links given in those. I also generally recommend that anyone taking psych meds read the book Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.

Welcome to the forum. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hello and Thank you everyone. I filled out my signature better I hope I did it right. So I still look forward to more ideas of the best way to taper off. I see the doc in August and I want to mention it to them that I want to come off of my medicine.

Back on paxil after 8 month withdrawl. Before withdrawl I was on 10mg Abilify, 37.5 twice a day Paxil, 300mg Lithium, 1mg Ativan a day as needed and I took up to 4 a day. After withdrawl I went back on 5mg Abilify and 37.5 mg once a day Paxil. August 2014 stopped Abilify completely. On Paxil 40 mg. Little to no withdraw symptoms from abilify other than some dizziness. August 21st 2014 started on respiradone 2mg once at night and continue Paxil 40mg.Symptoms from respiradone including incontinence , weight gain and low energy. September 14th choosing to withdraw from respiradone and paxil on my own. (Going to talk to the doc on the 18th about tapering if I cant hang the next two weeks) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nic,

Welcome from me too, thank you for adding details to your signature.

It looks like you have been on a lot of drugs, and stopped them, and started some again.  But I'm still not clear of the details.  How are you feeling at the moment?  Has the anger subsided since you started taking Abilify and Paxil again.  It was good that you reinstated at a lower dose.

It looks like you were taking:

Abilify 10mg

Paxil 37.5 x 2

Lithium 300mg

Ativan x4

How did you stop taking all of these?  Did you taper them or just stop?  Could you give us an approximate date of when you stopped?

Are you now ONLY taking Abilify 5mg and Paxil 37.5mg?  When did you start taking them this time? How have you been feeling since you started taking them again?

Why and when did you start taking these drugs to begin with, did you start them all at the same time?  I'm sorry we are asking so many questions, its just that if we can get a clear picture of your situation, we are in a better position to help you come off all your medication safely and permanently, if that's what you want to do.

Our general guidelines are to only taper one drug at a time, usually the most activating one first. We recommend cutting by 10% per month, then holding at that dose to give the nervous system time to stabilize again before the next cut.  We can make more specific suggestions when we know more details.

Here are our tips for tapering off Abilify:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1896-tips-for-tapering-off-abilify-aripiprazole/

Here is our Paxil tapering thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

We have members here who are safely tapering off multiple drugs while maintaining the quality of their lives, it can take some time, but in the end, you can get off the drugs safely without having to start taking them again because of withdrawal symptoms.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petu so much for asking all of those questions. Now I have a better platform to explain myself. At this moment I have no more anger issues but I tremble when Im nervous almost like a twitch, some insomnia, sweating and anxiety. 

When I began my withdrawl for 8 months (around oct 2012) as I described in my signature I went off Abilify, Paxil, Lithium, and Ativan cold turkey because I ran out of medication and medical insurance. At around month 1 I was sick with vomiting, insomnia,anxiety,depression,picking my skin and the sweats. Around month three this all subsided and I felt ok other than anxiety and some depression in a rollarcoaster fashion. At month 6 I felt so zen like I thought I hit a complete recovery and then month 7 and 8 hit and WAM anger that I never experienced before came over me.

Yes I am only taking the abilify and paxil now no more anger issues but depression is starting to creep up on me again I started taking abilify and paxil again in Nov of 2013.

I started to take my abilfy,paxil,lithium and ativan combo back in 2011 for major depressive disorder/anxiety. First it was just paxil then another two months abilify was added. I took that off and on for 3 months and then my life kind of turned upside down with a divorce and problems at work and then lithium was added. I forgot to mention the ativan I have always had on hand in 2011. I started taking 0.5 and then it went up and up over the course of the year to 1mg and I was taking like up to 4 pills a day sometimes less.

Thank you for the links I will definitely look into them. I still look forward to anymore advice that would be shared with me  :D

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the great information.

It sounds like you've been on the Abilify 5 mg and Paxil 37.5 mg daily for eight months and you're still having some symptoms of autonomic instability like sweating, twitching sometimes, and insomnia. That is actually not surprising to me. Going cold turkey off of those four meds would have been pretty traumatic to your system. It can take a while (years, for some people) to fully recover from something like that.

You have the option of waiting for a while to see if your symptoms improve more before you start to taper, or starting a very slow, very careful and conservative taper now and seeing how that goes. It's up to you.

However, before you start to taper, whenever you choose to do that, take the time to learn about how to do it, and get everything lined up so you can do it really safely and carefully.

You're probably extra sensitive to med changes now and it's going to be important to take it slow and be cautious.

I would say, start reading through the Tapering section, all the stuff pinned at the top, and the links inside those topics.

It is a LOT of information and will probably seem kind of overwhelming at first. Don't worry about that.

At first you just want to start getting an overview, sort of a general sense or outline of things, so just read and skim and look around and start to get a feel for things. If you have specific questions, post them here in your Intro thread and people will drop by.

Gradually you'll focus in on the stuff that's most important to you and it will all start to make sense. 

From the history that you have described, it sounds to me like you are somebody we will be able to help. Yay!

Welcome to the forum.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks a million I look forward to reading the tapering section  :D  :D

• Administrator

Welcome, Nic.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

There might be a clue there as to your symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

PARoxetine may increase the blood levels and effects of ARIPiprazole. This can make you more likely to develop side effects such as drowsiness, seizure, Parkinson-like symptoms, abnormal muscle movements, and low blood pressure. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if you experience agitation, aggression, confusion, convulsions, muscle spasm, or movements that you can't stop or control such as lip smacking, chewing, puckering, frowning or scowling, tongue thrusting, teeth clenching, jaw twitching, blinking, eye rolling, shaking or jerking of arms and legs, tremor, jitteriness, restlessness, pacing, and footicon1.png tapping. Also be alert to symptoms of low blood pressure such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or increased pulse or heart rateicon1.png. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how these medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position, especially at the beginning of treatment or after an increase in dose of ARIPiprazole. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Now I know where my jitters come from :(

• Administrator

Aha!!!

Why are you taking Abilify?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It helps with the ping pong effect of emotions. Up one minute down the next. That sort of thing.

• Administrator

Was that the original reason you were given psych drugs?

All my psychiatrist would tell me is that I had depression, anxiety and a little bit of paranoia. When I was in the hospital though they diagnosed me with major depressive disorder.

I am glad you are getting help nic.

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Thanks Mr Anxious

I want to say that I have recently come off my Abilify for almost a week now and I feel great!

Hi Nic

Welcome to the community.

I hope you stick close and wish you success.

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

Thanks NewMe I hope I do too!  :D

You are doing the right thing nic. Just listen to the people in here. They really know their stuff!

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Thank you MrAnxious  :D

So I go into the psychiatrist tomorrow. Wonder what she will say...

• Moderator Emeritus

How did your appointment go Nic and how are you doing?  I hope you are still feeling great, do let us know.  Please don't make any more changes for now, let your nervous system recover from stopping Abilify.  What dose did you stop from?  If you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms you may need to reinstate a small amount and continue tapering.

If you stay in touch and let us know what's going on, we can offer suggestions.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone I know its been a while but I am back. My appointment went well. I didnt say too much other than answer the usual questions of what is going on emotionally. I like this doctor because she seemed to really listen. She actually makes good eye contact and smiles and laughs with you.Oh and just short and sweet I didnt have a problem withdrawing from abilify other than some dizziness. Anyhoo so she started me on respiradone 2mg for a "bipolar component" and continued the paxil 40mg. 

Now today I had a light bulb moment. I realized that all of my problems that I still have left after learning positive thinking, meditation, yoga, healthy eating and other exercises. The problems I still have left are because I am taking these medications. Ill go ahead and say it......Since I started the respiradone I have not been able to hold my pee AT ALL do you know what it is like for a 32 year old woman to walk around in a diaper. Not attractive. Also I have gained like 80 all the way back from when I even began to take paxil which was 2 years ago give or take. Now with the respiradone I have gained 10 pounds of 23 that I lost as a miracle and I am fed up people. When is this vicious cycle every going to end. When will I learn to take a stand for my health and heal my body? Well that day is today.

I plan to withdrawl from both paxil and respiradone which the respiradone I have not been taking for very long only a month. Which may or may not be enough time to damage me but it sure has not helped me. There it is right there. These medicines have finally shown me that at this point in my life they are doing more harm to my body than good. I can go on and on with symptoms and Im sure I will be back after these next two weeks with damaging symptoms of withdraw as well. 

I am taking a stand for myself. I have learned a lot in therapy about myself and I choose to use no drugs to medicate my symptoms anymore. I want to rediscover life as I should and not through rose colored lenses  :)

Well its day two of my withdrawl and the migraine had started.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nic,

it's great that you have made the realisation you described in your previous post. You are right: the only solution doctors seem to have is more drugs so we simply have to take our stand.

But in order to be able to do so we have to educate ourselves because we might end up in an equal/worse mess. SA offers you an opportunity to discuss your tapering plan with people who have experience and knowledge of successful tapering. You will have to learn things in order to be able to protect yourself from what you came to see as harmful practices of your well meaning doctors. For one, it can't be day 2 of your withdrawal. You are probably referring to taper.

I will give you some threads we have here on successful tapering. It's a lot of information but it's important that you learn as much as possible otherwise you will make mistakes which will make you feel worse and worse. It's all common sense.

One of these basic rules is not to taper two drugs at the same time. You don't mention this in your tapering plan but it looks to me like you might be doing it. How are you tapering? By how much have you reduced and what drugs? Since respiradone was introduced less than a month ago it would make sense to taper it first but before we start tapering anything we have to be stable for some time, or at least with reduced/minimal symptoms.

Please share the details of your tapeing plan and we will be able to give you a feedback.

Here are a very useful links:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

In order for a taper to succeed, like anything else in life, it has to be planned carefully.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Nic, what drug did you drop on September 14?