newbipo Bipolar Diagnoses after withdrawal Citalopram

newbipo

*topic moved from symptoms section

Well, like many of you I've gone trough the withdrawl of an Antidepressant

I took it for 5 years, not for depression but for anxiety and panic attacks.

I January I tried to stop (without help, as I've done it before) and I failed. It took me 3 months (started in november) and at the end, I got some sort of symptoms that made me go back on it. I was living hell for 5 weeks that I tried to go back. I would have a good day and the other depressed, with a lot of agitation and having compulsive thoughts like:

- What if the drug doesn't work again?

- If I have to live like this forever?

I went round and round with fear of not recovering, imagening that I was going to live the rest of my life in that way. It took me a wile to realised that the problem was because I was coming of Citalopram and literally did a mess with the dosage wile trying to quit (I would take half on day, a wole in the other, than half again, skip a day... I didn't know any better).

So when thing got worse I went back to 20 mg a day and for 5 weeks I didn't got beter. I had terrible mood swings, was depressed and scare, couldn't eat but I it didn't affect my energy level.

During this 5 weeks I went to see a Psychiatrist who ask me to stop, put me on anti-psychotic drug (Seroquel) And told me I was having mixed state of bipolar disorder. I’m now on this diagnoses even though I’ve never had a manic or Hypomanic episode

He told me I’m treatment resistant witch added to my stress. I suffer from Health anxiety and I couldn’t stop thinking about only negative stuff.

Have anyone gone through the same thing and was diagnosed with bipolar? I’ve seen the diagnoses come up when someone start taking a drug but never while stopping… Am I now stuck with this diagnoses and another drug (that I hate).

I know you guys are not a doctor, but at this point I’m need more someone with the same experience and not someone with a diploma J

Edited by Petunia
added note

After a long life (15 years) on and off antidepressants because of Anxiety and Panic attacks I decided to come off citalopram in November 2013...

01/14 - Citalopram 20mg - 0mg --> had severe symptoms and was diagnosed as Bipolar with rapide cycling and mixed state

02/14 - Seroquel 50 mg, Atenolol 25 mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 3xd

03/14 - Seroquel 300 mg, Atenolol 25 mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 2xd

04/14 - 05/14 Seroquel 400 mg, Atenolol 25mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 2xd

06/14 - 07/14 Seroquel 300 mg, Atenolol 25mg 2xd, Xanax 0.25 (reduced to 0.125)

07/14 - 08/14 Seroquel 250 mg (start to have anxiety and panic attacks again)

12/14 - Seroquel XR 300mg 200mg 50mg, Atenolol 50, Xanax 0.25 PRN

02/15 - 0 Of everything... 

I became "abnormal", similar to mania, three months after switching to a new type of antidepressant, and was put on antipsychotics, then became extremely anxious, and was diagnosed bipolar. There is a theory of "bipolar spectrum"....basically if something untoward happens on an antidepressant, you are bipolar. I ended up on a lot of drugs for six years, but have been slowly unravelling it for over two years so far. Nobody thinks I am bipolar now, but some docs think I am anxious.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

newbipo.

It sounds you were diagnosed bipolar due to withdrawal symptoms from the antidepressant.   Calling you treatment resistant is BS.

Sorry this happened to you but sadly, this is quite common in psychiatry.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

During this 5 weeks I went to see a Psychiatrist who ask me to stop, put me on anti-psychotic drug (Seroquel) And told me I was having mixed state of bipolar disorder. I’m now on this diagnoses even though I’ve never had a manic or Hypomanic episode

He told me I’m treatment resistant witch added to my stress. I suffer from Health anxiety and I couldn’t stop thinking about only negative stuff.

Have anyone gone through the same thing and was diagnosed with bipolar? I’ve seen the diagnoses come up when someone start taking a drug but never while stopping… Am I now stuck with this diagnoses and another drug (that I hate).

I know you guys are not a doctor, but at this point I’m need more someone with the same experience and not someone with a diploma J

Hi newbipo.  

Unfortunately, I've heard and read of this happening a lot.  Far too often. I have little doubt that it's what leads to poly-pharmocotherapy. My guess is that you'll hear stories similar to yours here.  It is not at all uncommon.   

I'm pretty sure I came close to being diagnosed with bi-polar during my last attempt to discontinue Prozac.  I was trying to describe my intense anxiety, which was mostly Akathasia (although I didn't know it at the time) accompanied by anxiety and anxious thoughts... among other things.  I inaccurately described my thoughts as "racing"... the look on my my doc's face and his asking for clarification, "Racing?"  immediately had me check myself and I realized what I'd said and quickly corrected my wording.  He's a great doc, but I swear he almost seemed disappointed.  

I was also aware of some hypo-mania in the later years of taking prozac.  I was scared to death that I had "become" bi-polar. I knew enough never to mention it, and thankfully I haven't experienced it at all since dropping below 20mg of Prozac.  (As an aside, I was prescribed Prozac for an eating disorder and never a mood or anxiety disorder until AFTER I'd been on Prozac for many years and during periods when I attempted to discontinue taking it).

In both those instances I'm quite sure bipolar or r/o bipolar would have been added to my records (Come to think of it, I wonder if a rule-out bipolar might be in there :( .  I'll have to check!!)

Look around this site or use the search function and I'll be you find stories like yours.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

I became "abnormal", similar to mania, three months after switching to a new type of antidepressant, and was put on antipsychotics, then became extremely anxious, and was diagnosed bipolar. There is a theory of "bipolar spectrum"....basically if something untoward happens on an antidepressant, you are bipolar. I ended up on a lot of drugs for six years, but have been slowly unravelling it for over two years so far. Nobody thinks I am bipolar now, but some docs think I am anxious.

hi Meime,

It seems that bipolar is the new trend.... I don't really know what to do. I hate that there is no test for this type of thing and the doctors has to work with probabilities.... It seems that Anxiety and panic attacks are not diagnoses anymore. I'm hypochondriac so anything the doctor tells me about my condition I think it is hard to go against.

I'm a little confused with your taper, are you drug free at the moment?

Also, Thyroid plays a big part on our mood. Part of me believe that my symptoms are do to Hashimoto thyroid.

I hope I can stop Seroquel as soon as possible but at some point I think it is holding the withdrawal symptoms of Citalopram.

After a long life (15 years) on and off antidepressants because of Anxiety and Panic attacks I decided to come off citalopram in November 2013...

01/14 - Citalopram 20mg - 0mg --> had severe symptoms and was diagnosed as Bipolar with rapide cycling and mixed state

newbipo.

It sounds you were diagnosed bipolar due to withdrawal symptoms from the antidepressant.   Calling you treatment resistant is BS.

Sorry this happened to you but sadly, this is quite common in psychiatry.

That's what I think too Comp. I've been on Seroquel for 6 months and I tried to lower with psychiatrist help... went from 400 to 300 with no problem and at 250 I freaked out after reading about Tardive Dyskenisia and start to get anxious and sad at the same time... then Psychiatrist said: you are having a mixed episode again, go back to 400... I refuse... I'm on 300 again and it seems that things are settling. I think that I have to do it slower even though it's being only 6 months.

Also I really need some therapy to deal with my health anxiety. my compulsion for looking up things on the internet and panic attacks...

Hi newbipo.  

Unfortunately, I've heard and read of this happening a lot.  Far too often. I have little doubt that it's what leads to poly-pharmocotherapy. My guess is that you'll hear stories similar to yours here.  It is not at all uncommon.   

I'm pretty sure I came close to being diagnosed with bi-polar during my last attempt to discontinue Prozac.  I was trying to describe my intense anxiety, which was mostly Akathasia (although I didn't know it at the time) accompanied by anxiety and anxious thoughts... among other things.  I inaccurately described my thoughts as "racing"... the look on my my doc's face and his asking for clarification, "Racing?"  immediately had me check myself and I realized what I'd said and quickly corrected my wording.  He's a great doc, but I swear he almost seemed disappointed.  

I was also aware of some hypo-mania in the later years of taking prozac.  I was scared to death that I had "become" bi-polar. I knew enough never to mention it, and thankfully I haven't experienced it at all since dropping below 20mg of Prozac.  (As an aside, I was prescribed Prozac for an eating disorder and never a mood or anxiety disorder until AFTER I'd been on Prozac for many years and during periods when I attempted to discontinue taking it).

In both those instances I'm quite sure bipolar or r/o bipolar would have been added to my records (Come to think of it, I wonder if a rule-out bipolar might be in there :( .  I'll have to check!!)

Look around this site or use the search function and I'll be you find stories like yours.

Hi Addax, Thank you for sharing your stories too...

Something that I don't understand it seems that Psychiatrists have a pleasure on putting us on polydrugs combos....

Also... isn't it a sign of anxiety racing thoughts? why they have to jump to the worst conclusion?

The only thing that I don't understand is why when I tried to go back to citalopram, it didn't work. I felt worse.... if it was a withdrawn symptom, should it resume when I went back? Or was it because I did a mess with the dosage?

I'm looking for a new psychiatrist at the moment....... :(

• Administrator

newbipo, this is a very, very common misdiagnosis of withdrawal syndrome. This kind of misdiagnosis is why withdrawal syndrome lacks recognition in the medical community -- doctors simply diagnose it as something else and up the drugs.

We have many people here who have gotten bogus "bipolar" diagnoses under identical conditions.

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum to discuss your particular situation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

newbipo, this is a very, very common misdiagnosis of withdrawal syndrome. This kind of misdiagnosis is why withdrawal syndrome lacks recognition in the medical community -- doctors simply diagnose it as something else and up the drugs.

We have many people here who have gotten bogus "bipolar" diagnoses under identical conditions.

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum to discuss your particular situation.

Hi Altostrata, I will do it... I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place...

Thank you for your help

This diagnoses is really painful...

I'm learning that a lot of people out there with the same situation... how sad is that?

I took citalopram for 5 years, not for depression but for anxiety and panic attacks.

In January I tried to stop (without help, as I've done it before) and I failed.

It took me 3 months (started in november) and at the end, I got some sort of symptoms that made me go back on it. I was living hell for the 5 weeks that I tried to go back. I would have a good day and the other depressed, with a lot of agitation and having compulsive and racing thoughts like:

- What if the drug doesn't work again?

- If I have to live like this forever?

I went round and round with fear of not recovering, imagening that I was going to live the rest of my life in that way. It took me a wile to realised that the problem was because I was coming of Citalopram and literally did a mess with the dosage wile trying to quit (I would take half on day, a wole in the other, than half again, skip a day... I didn't know any better).

So when things got worse I went back to 20 mg a day and for 5 weeks I didn't got beter (if it was withdrawal, should it get better wile attempting to go back?). I had terrible mood swings, was depressed and scare, couldn't eat but I it didn't affect my energy level.

I know you guys are not a doctor, but at this point I’m need more someone with the same experience and not someone with a diploma

Please share you story with me and you success ♥

I think one of the biggest problems (apart from total lack of informed consent and inability to recognize side effects from meds, both coming and going) is that psychiatric diagnoses really just describe a cluster of symptoms, they say nothing about the root cause. You have the power to choose your own doctor, own treatment, and how you interpret your symptoms. You may well have something going on in your being that started this journey, but pouring drugs on it does nothing to resolve those issues. My personal theory is that you start removing drugs very carefully, and the things you need to know and learn will bubble up. I have been surprised at the physical issues that have surfaced.

On the other thread you asked if I was drug-free. No, I am still taking partial doses of two of the six drugs (well, seven as another was added in during the withdrawal battle). But I have been off an antipsychotic for 2.5 years and have had a sub-therapeutic lithium level for three years...my current doc said I could never do that if I was actually bipolar. But again, bipolar is a symptom list, not an explanation of where the problems are coming from.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Also, Thyroid plays a big part on our mood. Part of me believe that my symptoms are do to Hashimoto thyroid.

Hashimoto gives psychiatric symptoms! it can give under- and overactive thyroid symptoms at the same time - depression, anxiety, maybe even hypomania. regular doctors don't believe it. they also say there's no cure. but there is. hashimoto is an autoimmune disease. gluten free diet helps, and other interventions. please google. you might want to check this site out http://www.thyroidlifestyle.com/

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

But again, bipolar is a symptom list, not an explanation of where the problems are coming from.

I like the way you think

It's another way of seeing things.

I think that before I try to stop Seroquel I have to arm myself with tool that will help me get over it

- Meditatoin

- Therapy

- Exercise

- Supplements

Hashimoto gives psychiatric symptoms! it can give under- and overactive thyroid symptoms at the same time - depression, anxiety, maybe even hypomania. regular doctors don't believe it. they also say there's no cure. but there is. hashimoto is an autoimmune disease. gluten free diet helps, and other interventions. please google. you might want to check this site out http://www.thyroidlifestyle.com/

hey rapunzel!

Thanks for the Link.. I'm all over it ;)

My Psychiatrist thinks that bipolar is actually a hormonal problem. There is no treatment but I'm taking hormones even tough mine is "normal"

I'm Gluten, sugar, alcohol, coffee, Lactose and so on free.... lol

There is a group in facebook called HASHIMOTO 411 with a lot of people on same problems....

Do you know Dr. Z? his the expert in controlling Hashimoto.. I wish I could see him :*(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello newbipo and welcome to SA.

To begin with if I were you, I'd find a new nick for myself because psychiatric diagnoses don't have much, if any meaning and this bipolar is particularly absurd expression of ignorance and helplessness of contemporary psychiatry. We see a lot of people being labeled like that when discontinuing these drugs so I personally wouldn't attach it any meaning. It simply describes a mental state full of turmoil which is much better explained as a consequence of chaos that battering our brains with various doses caused. It's very likely that if you were to pay a visit to a different psychiatrist you would be stuck by some other label...

As you have seen for yourself, we can all come off psycotropic medication a few times just like that. Afer that our brains get sensitized and they crash when we too abruptly remove the drug that has become a part of our system causing deep physiological changes.

The reason why you didn't feel well after you got back on the same dose of the same medication is because while you were off it your brain already made some adjustments to function without it and that dose was then too much.

What would help us give you more suggestions and opinions regarding your situation would be to put your drug history in your signature:approximate dates when you started and stopped taking medications and their dosages.

It's great you came here in preparation of your taper to do it properly and avoid withdrawal. It would be good to read topics pinned in the tapering section, familiarising yourself with the 10% tapering rule and then check information on tapering Seroquel.

What are your symptoms now?

You will find a lot of friendly support here.

Best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hello newbipo and welcome to SA.

To begin with if I were you, I'd find a new nick for myself because psychiatric diagnoses don't have much, if any meaning and this bipolar is particularly absurd expression of ignorance and helplessness of contemporary psychiatry. We see a lot of people being labeled like that when discontinuing these drugs so I personally wouldn't attach it any meaning. It simply describes a mental state full of turmoil which is much better explained as a consequence of chaos that battering our brains with various doses caused. It's very likely that if you were to pay a visit to a different psychiatrist you would be stuck by some other label...

As you have seen for yourself, we can all come off psycotropic medication a few times just like that. Afer that our brains get sensitized and they crash when we too abruptly remove the drug that has become a part of our system causing deep physiological changes.

The reason why you didn't feel well after you got back on the same dose of the same medication is because while you were off it your brain already made some adjustments to function without it and that dose was then too much.

What would help us give you more suggestions and opinions regarding your situation would be to put your drug history in your signature:approximate dates when you started and stopped taking medications and their dosages.

It's great you came here in preparation of your taper to do it properly and avoid withdrawal. It would be good to read topics pinned in the tapering section, familiarising yourself with the 10% tapering rule and then check information on tapering Seroquel.

What are your symptoms now?

You will find a lot of friendly support here.

Best,

bubble

hi Bubble, thank you for your answer.

Well, I don't remember the drugs I took before and for how long, but I don't remember having extreme withdrawn symptoms. I know that I'm free from the withdrawal from Citalopran I had severe brain zaps (but I was used to it), braing fog (the worst) but it is gone.

I wish I could change my nick, you are right on this one.

I'm so sad that I didn't look up for this before my first tamper, I should have been prepared and avoid going into psychotropic drug that now ïm stuck.

When I reduced Seroquel from 300 to 250  (for 2 weeks) I got a lot of shakiness in my body but I was doing fine on my mood my I started to read about Tardive Dyskenisia and went crazy, crying, scared... Doctor though I was going to mixed state and asked me to go up to 400 again. I didn't. I did went up to 300 (so far) i was really depressed yesterday and today, but I'm better now... I'm so scare of having ups and downs that leads to this type of diagnoses.

I will post my progress, but for now I will wait to settle a little...

I need to start therapy, meditation... I really need to use my mind to help me calm down.

I really hope my brain don't shrink until I'm prepare to taper :(

I'm confused with the taper of Seroquel. I'm on XL and it seems that I can't cut the pills, I asked the pharmacist. 

• Administrator

There are many, many conditions that produce "psychiatric" symptoms. Thyroid issues are only one of them.

newbipo, as you've described it, you do not have bipolar disorder. Your psychiatrist is in error. This is quite common, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2746-what-should-i-expect-from-my-doctor-about-withdrawal-symptoms/

Your psychiatrist is also in error about your supposed bipolar being a hormonal problem. That is in reference to the "chemical imbalance" theory, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4291-again-chemical-imbalance-is-a-myth-stop-the-lies-please/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4180-the-serotonin-theory-of-depression-is-collapsing/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/914-ronald-pies-shocked-shocked-shocked-by-chemical-imbalance-allegations/

and so forth.

Your psychiatrist is poorly informed. He has misdiagnosed you and treated your withdrawal syndrome inappropriately.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

But again, bipolar is a symptom list, not an explanation of where the problems are coming from.

Exactly, and from what I have read here, I think your 'new' symptoms are coming from drug effects.  Our brain and nervous system is a finely balanced system.  Throw enough neuro-active substances in there in a random manner and eventually destabilization and chaos has to occur.

If you are interested, a couple of books may be useful:

Your Drug may be your Problem by Dr. Peter Breggin

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker

Also this web site, Council for Evidence-based Psychiatry

I'm confused with the taper of Seroquel. I'm on XL and it seems that I can't cut the pills, I asked the pharmacist. 

Splitting an extended-release tablet appears possible (there are many reports on the Web of people doing this), but this destroys the extended-release quality, resulting in immediate-release quetiapine. If you are used to the extended-release form, you may be sensitive to the "dosage dumping" resulting from immediate release of the drug.

For more information about how to taper from Seroquel XR see the link below.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/?p=33069

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

hey rapunzel!

Thanks for the Link.. I'm all over it ;)

My Psychiatrist thinks that bipolar is actually a hormonal problem. There is no treatment but I'm taking hormones even tough mine is "normal"

I'm Gluten, sugar, alcohol, coffee, Lactose and so on free.... lol

There is a group in facebook called HASHIMOTO 411 with a lot of people on same problems....

Do you know Dr. Z? his the expert in controlling Hashimoto.. I wish I could see him :*(

good that you are aware of those things!! it's for sure that you will heal slowly. and I don't buy for a second the bipolar diagnosis. it's thyroid + withdrawal!

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Newbipo,

I hope you are feeling better (nad that you have maybe changed your nick here ;)

I like very much what our member MLRP wrote on this topic in her thread: 

• I can totally see how a person who has been put on these drugs, or is attempting to taper off of them, and who experiences windows and waves could easily be misdiagnosed by some shrink as bipolar.  During windows, I am almost always overtaken by immense joy at simply being alive and feeling symptom-free. Add to that the accompanying desire to "make up for lost time" by reconnecting with people, picking up dropped interests, and taking big bites out of life once again, and I can just see the raised eyebrow on a pdoc's face. I'm pretty much done sharing any details with pdocs, myself, but just sayin'

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 1 month later...

Hi. Yes I experienced this appr 9 years ago during time I had been on paxil awhile. I didnt realize then but I kept telling pdoc I felt like I was regressing. He kept updosing it till I started to feel bipolar. Not making fun b/c my brother was bipolar, but deep down I knew I wasnt. Key symptoms were absent and yet dr insisted I had become bipo (at 45?). He then started loading me with the following: risperdol, tegretol,+ zyprexa. When I started going bonkers he added trazodone, klonopin,+ abilify. When I told him I was distressed + couldnt function at work or socially, he would up the doses. Im sorry I dont have a signature entry b/c i've only got mobile web, but short version - I lost my job,friends,dignity,+ lifestyle. I couldnt properly wean since dr quack dropped me + no refills. I'm thankful its over + i'm learning so much from this forum. I'm angry that no professional told me of withdrawal (then and now). The biggest is going into my 6th year of anhedonia, etc. My worse nightmare was the psych ward 5 yrs ago, but I cant deal with it right now. Ugh! Anyway, I have much hope for everyone at SA. You're all so brave. These bad docs/diagnosis are just cogs in the wheel. Take care.

Hi. Yes I experienced this appr 9 years ago during time I had been on paxil awhile. I didnt realize then but I kept telling pdoc I felt like I was regressing. He kept updosing it till I started to feel bipolar. Not making fun b/c my brother was bipolar, but deep down I knew I wasnt. Key symptoms were absent and yet dr insisted I had become bipo (at 45?). He then started loading me with the following: risperdol, tegretol,+ zyprexa. When I started going bonkers he added trazodone, klonopin,+ abilify. When I told him I was distressed + couldnt function at work or socially, he would up the doses. Im sorry I dont have a signature entry b/c i've only got mobile web, but short version - I lost my job,friends,dignity,+ lifestyle. I couldnt properly wean since dr quack dropped me + no refills. I'm thankful its over + i'm learning so much from this forum. I'm angry that no professional told me of withdrawal (then and now). The biggest is going into my 6th year of anhedonia, etc. My worse nightmare was the psych ward 5 yrs ago, but I cant deal with it right now. Ugh! Anyway, I have much hope for everyone at SA. You're all so brave. These bad docs/diagnosis are just cogs in the wheel. Take care.

Hi pitty, sorry for what you have been trough... I'm trying my best to stop my seroquel and Im suffering a lot....

You said this things happened a long time... How are you doing now? How long have you been off your meds? Did you get back at least dome of your mind clarity? Hope you are feeling better

Love

Thank u Newbipo. Im sure you'll be successful tapering the seroquel. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, im sure. I do feel better than I did during the time I was overmedicated but its gonna take a long time. I was given diff meds by diff drs over 20+ years, but that list was given to me all at once. Im surprised im still alive. I've been off that batch approx 6 years then was put into diff programs + drs b/c I was desparate for help. They of course threw diff meds at me so its difficult to gage progress. I only have episodes of clarity...the waves + windows i've been reading about. It will last a day or a week, the longest (most recent) for a month. I try to get alot done b/c I dont know how long it will last. Ashamed to say I didnt do dishes for 3 years during the worst. Freaky O! Anyhow, I havent been totally off meds for years. Currently im tapering zoloft + adderall since i've got new drs...they dont know. It was my decision a few months ago b/c I started to realize this was all more than coincidence. That even in my darkest depressions i've never been NON-functional. Now i've found this site + it just confirms my suspicions. We are not all wrong! I hope I kinda answered ur questions...the past 3 days are a bit "scattered". Im waiting for another wave :-) I will let u know when im totally off rx. Good luck to you + a cyber hug! Lol

You need to read the whole, whole thread on tapering Seroquel.

56 years old

• 7 months later...

Hi, 

I need some guidance at the moment. 

I have a long history with AD but my last time was citalopran for 3 years (Stopped in Feb of 2014) then I have a terrible withdrawal, was DX as bipolar and put on Seroquel.. I took up to 400 for 2 months (Starting in March) and then gradually lower the dose and completely stopped in January 2015... After 1 month of acute withdrawal, things started to look better and better, had some basic anxiety, fear of getting ill, and a bit paranoid over some diseases (which I always had)... But... I was getting on wth my life and improving... I am dealing with some stressfull events like moving to a new home, having to buy all the furniture, etc etc...

I was really looking toward to life and than BANG... three days ago I started to feel like I opened the dor of the past....  I feel like my depression is coming back and I am afraid I'll never get better again... Can someone please tell me if this is a relapse and I should look for a treatment immediately... I am so scare to have to go back to Antidepressant, but I don't want it to heart.. I don't want if I can take any more of the hell I was in during 2014 :( or this is just a wave after 1+ year off AD and 5 months off Seroquel (The antidepressant dose I didn't took for a longer time... would say 7 months.... I stayed on 50mg XL)

When do we know is a relapse and when we know is just a wave?

please, someone?

I wish someone could help me... =(

Hi Newbipo, 

welcome and sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. 

It makes me so angry that you were misdiagnosed and put on antipsychotics because of antidepressant withdrawal. Unfortunately this happens a lot. 

If you stopped all ADs in February, there's a good chance what you are experiencing now is still withdrawal. Withdrawal sometimes shows up a couple of months delayed and you have already established that you are very sensitive to it.

A good way to tell is for you to think back to the time before you took antidepressants. Does the depression now feel any different? Do you have any physical withdrawal symptoms or any new emotional symptoms that weren't there before antidepressants? Did the depression fall out of the blue sky or did something trigger it? 

More experienced folks will comment soon I'm sure. Sometimes they recommend to re-instate a small dose, but people react very differently to that. I personally screwed up big time trying to do this. 

Keep telling yourself that, no matter if this is withdrawal or relapse, it will pass. Look in the section "Symptoms and Self Care" what others are experiencing and how to deal with it without drugs. 

Be very skeptical if your doctor tries to put you on any drugs. It sounds like they have caused you nothing but misery. 

All the best, 

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

HI Newbipo--  love your avatar, I've worked in and out of show biz for many years.  First thing  DON'T PANIC.  All that will do is add more stress to an already stressful situation.  From your signature it looks to me that your past is catching up with you.  It looks like you came off of the Seroquel rather fast.  That can make you feel great for a while, then it blindsides you WD symptoms.  I expect that all the stress of the move just triggered it all.  If it is not debilitating I would try to ride it out for the moment.  If it is really bad sometimes taking a very small amount, just a few mg of the old drugs will help calm the symptoms.  a lot is the expert on that and should be along any time now with other advice.  Biggest thing is to just try and relax and roll with it as best as you can.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi!!!

Oh, I understand so much how you feel. Quitted cipralex...thinking my life was becoming "normal" again...bang....worse than before. Total despair!!!!!

As you I don'y understand if it's due to meds or to a relapse, btw it is a total different feeling with respect to the one that "forced" me to go on antidepressants for the forst time......

In my case, now I'm again on meds, because I really have a difficult period of my life and I don't have the energy to fight......but I will.

In my humble opinion just try to wait....if you really can't stand seek help!!!

Tons of hugs, REALLY I understand so much and suffering as you.

06/2012 - 02/2015 CIPRALEX 10 mg (for somatic abdominal pain + reflux) - prior to this NOT any significant episode of anxiety/depression

on medication: emotional-sexual numbness, total inability to cry, +8 kg, fatigue -> abdominal pain gone

02/2015 - 1/04/2015 tapering from 10 mg to 0 mg doctor advised

05/05/2015 huge anxiety, burning skin sensation, panic, fear, not able to cry again, never-had-before insomnia, totally lost appetite, little loss of vision in one eye, sweating, chest pain, short breath, restlessness, accelerated heartbeat, mild akathisia legs-feet

30/05/2015 reinstated 8mg (I was suggested 5 mg here)

middle 07/2015 general improving

10/2015 start disastrous too long taper 7mg  11/2015 6mg  12/2015 5mg 1/2016 4mg  2/2016 4mg  3/2016 3mg ->FAIL back to 4mg .... 8/2016 3mg 8/2017 2mg  (short wave in summer '17) 8/2018 2mg stable  8/2019 1mg  1/2020 0.6 mg 

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/2020 - 10/2020 MILD WAVE(mostly anxiety, poor sleep)

6/2021 - 9/2021 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, deep depression, internal restlessness, anhedonia)  0.125g triazolam  2 times

18/03/2022 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, PAIN in muscles and nerves, arms and right leg,cannot exercise,hard to walk) 0.125g triazolam 3 times

7/5 rein 0.1mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Newbipo, I moved the topic from tapering to your intro thread, you will get more replies here than in the symptoms forum and it is specifically about your progress.

We have a topic in symptoms on this very question....http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6888-is-it-withdrawal-or-relapse-or-something-else/

It does sound like a wave, and it will pass. Hang in there and try not to panic, you are drug free now and probably still feeling some withdrawal. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 4 months later...

I´m quite scared too. I´ve read this thread and can completely identify with you newbipo. You can read it in my signature but wanting a bit of peace I rested on 2.5 mg for a year and then cold turkeyed. And I have some of your symptoms. Currently I fit exactly in the mixed state diagnosis. I´m anxious a bit restless and accelerated but on the other hand I´m not very motivaded. I try to keep focused but it is a real turmoil. Did someone experience this and got better? In my mental turmoil I keep focusing on the fact that I once read that a psychotic break happens usually after some days of not sleeping and sometimes it gets hard for me to sleep. 

Prior to ADs I never experienced anything like this or any type of mania...

1/12: 20 mg Prozac.

6/14: Doc decides to switch me to Lexapro in may. The switch consisted in overlaping fluoxetine and half lexapro for 2 weeks, then stop fluoxetine and go on 10mg Lexapro, I was a week on 10mg lexapro and stopped as I was feeling bad then went on 3mg and taper from it .After that I learned from withdrawal and all that.

7/14: 2.5mg Lexapro for 1 year.

7/15: cold turkeyed from 2.5 mg.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks marmite that is really encouraging from you. I can definetly say that I´m getting better, but Its always hard to say when your symptoms worsen, although over all I can see the image. I hope the best to you. This damn drugs...

1/12: 20 mg Prozac.

6/14: Doc decides to switch me to Lexapro in may. The switch consisted in overlaping fluoxetine and half lexapro for 2 weeks, then stop fluoxetine and go on 10mg Lexapro, I was a week on 10mg lexapro and stopped as I was feeling bad then went on 3mg and taper from it .After that I learned from withdrawal and all that.

7/14: 2.5mg Lexapro for 1 year.

7/15: cold turkeyed from 2.5 mg.

• 3 months later...

Hey all... It's being a wile...

I took my last dose of citalopran 2 years ago. Than... 1 year since stoping seroquel.

I've been weird... Lots of ups and downs. I also got pregnant (almost popping)

Recently I noticed that after going trough anxiety or stress I crash really low with suicidal thoughts and will improve after 4-5 days...

My question... Am I really bipolar? Rapid cycling? Has the antidepressant completly destabilised my mood for ever? Did anyone ever recovered from this? Would love to hear from you guys... If this is even possible.

Will I ever recover from this or I'm doomed to be bipolar now?

I wish someone could

Help me :(