newbipo Bipolar Diagnoses after withdrawal Citalopram

newbipo

There is a new book coming out...A Mind of Your Own, Kelly Brogan MD. I think you might preorder it. I have heard tapes of her lecturing...she treats all "mental illness" same as depression. "Bipolar" simply describes a group of symptoms, it does nothing to identify the root problem. Do you have support for the first few weeks after your baby comes? Everybody, no matter their mental health past, needs that. Enjoy your little one!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Here's your Intro topic, NBP. Please read our earlier responses.

Ups and downs are very typical of withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Here's your Intro topic, NBP. Please read our earlier responses.

Ups and downs are very typical of withdrawal syndrome.

I remember about reading this, but even after 2 years off Antidepressant?

I am not sure if I should look for a new treatment (and now labeled Bipolar). It seems now that if you do have mood disturbances after taking antidepressant is classifies you as bipolar. I understand is just a name for a set of symptoms, but the treatment is that I don't want. My Psychiatrist who saw me since I quit Citalopram don't thing s bipolar even though I have "normal days" with really dark ones in the middle... Part of the healing? Should I keep working on it? Or change Dr. What it is your opinion?

After a long life (15 years) on and off antidepressants because of Anxiety and Panic attacks I decided to come off citalopram in November 2013...

01/14 - Citalopram 20mg - 0mg --> had severe symptoms and was diagnosed as Bipolar with rapide cycling and mixed state

02/14 - Seroquel 50 mg, Atenolol 25 mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 3xd

03/14 - Seroquel 300 mg, Atenolol 25 mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 2xd

04/14 - 05/14 Seroquel 400 mg, Atenolol 25mg 2xd, xanax 0.25 2xd

06/14 - 07/14 Seroquel 300 mg, Atenolol 25mg 2xd, Xanax 0.25 (reduced to 0.125)

07/14 - 08/14 Seroquel 250 mg (start to have anxiety and panic attacks again)

12/14 - Seroquel XR 300mg 200mg 50mg, Atenolol 50, Xanax 0.25 PRN

02/15 - 0 Of everything... 

• Administrator

What is your symptom pattern? Please keep notes on paper.

As you know, you went off 3 drugs rather quickly. Some symptoms are to be expected.

Do you know other pregnant women? What is your social support circle like?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It's lke my mood swings are really intense.

I'll go for days fizing the thing around thw house, doing the nursery room... But if I work too hard, if I go trough a high stress or anxiety level, I'll crash with days in deep depression with suicidal thoughts, irritation, anger, anxiety... After 5-6 days it will lift.. (Until now) and I'll be back to my "normal"

Psy Dr. thinks is all about high geberalized anxiety (the same as the beggining) that triggers the extreme low mood.

He has argue with me because I am always telling him I am afraid it it Bipolar he always say it isn't (I'll have a consultation today, lets see)

my fear is losing control and being put in a institution and drighed out of my mind with no say. I would rather die!

The thing is... Could antidepressant distabilize the mood forever? Is that why they say you are bipolar if you have an episode: mania/hypomania/mixed/rapid cycling) couldn't find too much information on the topic. I have no family history of bipolar and... After 15 years os antidepressant on and off would trigger it? It worked for me or was I part of my life in Hypomode? So many questions...sometimes I think I don't express myself right...(because of the language - english 2 language and because of culture)

Started Sam-e yesterday + Inositol... Been calm today...

After a long life (15 years) on and off antidepressants because of Anxiety and Panic attacks I decided to come off citalopram in November 2013...

01/14 - Citalopram 20mg - 0mg --> had severe symptoms and was diagnosed as Bipolar with rapide cycling and mixed state

• Administrator

Have you been taking SAM-e and inositol on and off for a while?

SAM-e can be stimulating. It doesn't make sense to take them together.

Are you taking other B vitamins?

If your psychiatrist says it's not bipolar, count yourself lucky. They tend to diagnose bipolar disorder far too often and overmedicate people terribly.

They call withdrawal syndrome "bipolar disorder" because they are ignorant and lazy.

How about learning to pace yourself? When you feel amped up, calm yourself down. Go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time each day. This will help smooth things out.

Do you have anyone to talk to about being pregnant and its ups and downs? It's a very emotional time because of hormonal changes.

Somehow I with a good psychiatrist. He talked about supplements with me, doesn't want to put me on AD (NOW) and supports me on looking for managing and learning how to cope with my problems... BUT he doesn't believe at all it is caused by AD... Just think it is me... Some of it it really is... But... It seems I can't handle ANY stress and this worries me...

O started SAME yesterday and Inositol it's being a wile... Inositol has the calming effect SAME is to pull me up the dark...

He asked me not to take until he can give a better look on it... But if for some reason I need a medication... I want SAMe ... not AD (witch also is not good for Bipolar and also activating)

My familly is here to help

With the baby.... Ups and downs pf pregnancy make sense... Hope I don't get the PPD :(

I've been researching a lot on permanent damage on antidepressant... What is it you opinion Auto? From what you have seen?

How is you progress? I find bits and peaces of you story... :)

(My mood improved now) I feel bipolar :( hope is lart pf

The healling and NOT my new me... Anyone else relate?

• Administrator

Very few doctors know anything at all about withdrawal syndrome, and even fewer will agree it can last for a long time.

The skills you learn to manage your symptoms will be valuable to you your entire life.

You need to talk with more women who went through pregnancy without psychiatric drugs.

I am doing well. It took me many years to recover from Paxil withdrawal syndrome.

Hi Alto and newbipo,

I am sorry to hear that you are still not well.

Yes, I am suffering from these symptoms, too. But I am a boy. One of my GP doctor prescribed me Seroquel so she is definitely think I am bipolar, too. 

But all these symptoms were all started when I drop dose of the Lexapro. 

It has been 4 month now, I saw some improvements but it is still really bad at the moment. 

Let's be patient to wait some miracle to happen. 

Regards

Rain

2006 October Zoloft 50mg for anxiety.

2013 March Lexapro 10mg for 18 months to 2015 September.

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2016 11th November taper to 9mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

May 22nd- 6.3mg, June 10th- 5.7mg, Nov- 4.4mg, Dec- 4.3mg,

2018 Jan- 4.1mg