☼ joy2730: withdrawing from citalopram, quetiapine

joy2730

Went swimming yesterday early evening and slept brilliantly without anything like nytol or anything like that and my mood is really good a bit of neck ache on both sides of my neck which is one of my recognisable withdrawal symptoms and I just say to it "hello again"

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

Went swimming yesterday early evening and slept brilliantly without anything like nytol or anything like that and my mood is really good a bit of neck ache on both sides of my neck which is one of my recognisable withdrawal symptoms and I just say to it "hello again"

• Moderator Emeritus

That's cute - thanks for making me smile :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Really good sleep and day neck is no longer hurting and mood really good I still feel I am gaining weight and dare not get on the scales for a few days yet until I have really reduced my food

Tomorrow I am going down to 14 as I feel up to it and have concerns re my weight but withdrawl wise fine if only I could get my weight more comfortable

As u will see iny signature I have accidentally dropped to 13.5 and can't get back to my pills today to reformulate so I am just going with it and watching my symptoms carefully sleep and mood fine

Had a good day on 13.5mg I will report in the morning how the night went so far so good but I can telly body has not recognised the drop yet. I am expecting hot and cold headache nausea dizziness sweating and light sleep

Hey Joy. Im enjoying seeing your progress. Your doing really well. I do find though that your having quite a casualness to this. Which I think is good, because it doesnt need to be all consuming, but please be careful and make sure you measure right and be patient. You will lose your weight eventually. I feel like your trying to rush a bit now that your feeling so much better but dont fall for it. There seems to be alot of people who do really well going slow and steady and so they start rushing and then they crash. Just my thoughts..

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

Thank you for your thoughts nick and you are completely correct I am rushing too much now and solely because I am concerned about my weight however I am now calorie counting 1000 per day and if I can'take some progress with that it might help me slow down a bit

Anyway brilliant nights skeep just a bit hot and cold and a runny nose this morning but so far so good on 13.5 mg but i still feel my body is yet to acknowledge the lower dose

I do feel this micro reductions is a more gentle approach

Mood really stable and thank you nick

I am absolutely fine have added sauna to my swimming

Hi Joy

Am watching your reports with interest and have learnt a lot from you. I am quite a bit behind you with my taper and am doing the 5% cuts.

Thanks for posting your daily experiences with tapering - all valuable information.

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Take care flowers good sleep last night perhaps a little light for me felt slightly headachey over lunch time and a bit sick took a kwells pill and it seemed to do the trick feeling really good andood very stable

Good sleep last night again and lovelyood today appetite normal no withdrawl symptons today at all I am waiting for it all to catch me up somehow

Feeling really good a light nights sleep though but I am not tired no symptoms but sticking at this dose to give myself a good hold. I have lost a 1 lb in weight and feel so much better for my swimming and sauna it's suiting me better that gym

Another good night and day I was in the swimming pool for 8 am today as I am not as sedated but tonight I am very tired

No withdrawal symptoms at present

Good night's sleep sick headache sweating this morning but quite mold going to take 1/2 travel sickness pill and one painkiller as I am busy working and itay get worse will post again tonight to report effect and progress

1/2 travel sickness pill really helped and pain killer

Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon felt very tired but very very awake yesterday morning and this morning which I think is withdrawal

Slept well but slightly less deep feel well but still tired mood very balanced and good no sickness or headache

I have had no brain zaps with this rate of taper what a plus no sweating today all good going swimming tonight and sauna

Doing really well but I do feel tired even though I slept 8 hrs and only woke once for a short while

Last night I was very awake and couldn't get to sleep so I took a sleep aid pill and gor 8 hrs of good sleep other than that all is really good going swimming again tonight have a week a/l next week when I might reduce to 13 mg

So strange this I had an assessment at work today followed by an interview for a higher job and passed the assessment and was offered the job so it is safe to say I am functioning well despite withdrawal. The job offered isn't really enough hours for me and I am going to have to think that through. I am sure it is better withdrawl wise to stick where I am as I am happy on my work but feel the need to look around

Slept well last night and have felt well all day. Husband and I going to scarborough for a few nights next week on my week off

No head zaps or any withdrawl symptons whatsoever

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on getting through the assessment and being offered the job.  Even if you don't take it, it's a great morale boost that you can look back on and say I did it!

I hope you enjoy your mini holiday.  Make sure that you take what you need for your drug.  One of the members here packed the wrong strength tablets so it is easy to do.  I also suggest that you are careful about what you eat/drink when you are away.  You don't want to upset the CNS.  Take care.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Cheshirecat it is only too east to get out of your routine and for me too easy to drop the dose. I really don't want to upset my progress I am also going to keep up with my swim and sauna which o am convinced is helping me especially the swim bit but suppose the sauna could be helping getting rid of toxins

Anyway slept like a log last night and feel well today but I am more tired but more clear headed.

The support of this site is paramount will continue daily as it seems to help my assessment of myself and shows good days are there in when withdrawing from a drug

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, talking of routine, try and take your dose at the same time.  Maybe set a reminder on your phone.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Last night all my bonews started to ache took ibuprofen and this morning I have been really stiff my neck is very stiff last time at this stage I interpreted it as depression and reinstated citalopram not this time

Joint aches and pains have stopped.  Slept really well last night can't complain about anything.  My appetite has lessened and I feel better about my weight, more hopefully.  Swimming and sauna today, 20 mins in sauna, 1/2 hr swimming and it makes me feel so much better.

I met a very very obese young lady in sauna today, who is on 60 mg fluoxetine, Prozac, one three times daily and many other painkiller meds such as pregabalin and tramadol.  I suggested that the Prozac might not be helping her weight and she said that as she had lost weight while on Prozac at the start for about 6 mths she thought that would not be causing her weight gain. 

I told her in no way shape or form was a qualified to say anything but I said the meds might not be helping her weight.  There was another woman in the sauna who joined in the conversation and she said the old time antidepressants caused weight gain too.  This other woman was 68 years old and I am 57, this girl was about 25 ish, but quite disabled by her weight.  In fact getting off the sauna bench she tripped and felt and hurt her arm and leg and cut her foot.  I had to get first aid help for her.  Basically she had no idea SSRIs could cause weight gain!

it is time we all started being more open and share information.  Life is great in my sauna, ordinary people trying to help themselves.  I may never see that young lady again, or indeed I may as I live in a rural area.  I hope she remembers our conversation and it helps her a bit in the future.  I am beginning to think the PIL leaflets in these meds Patient Information Leaflets need to spell common adverse effects more clearly

Can't you all just tell I am on A/L and have more time to write.

BTW I am sticking at 13.5 mg at present to give time for things to work through.  When I woke up this morning I had a loss of appetite so I think things are changing in my body and I think I look a better shape.

Take good care everyone, I love having you on board through my journey

Still fit and well mood stable

Just to say I am doing really well, I am thinking about dropping to 13 mg in the morning, what does everyone think.  A good nights sleep last night and feeling really good today, going to horse races tonight for the first time in my life.

I can't believe how much better my brain is working now, and physically I feel a lot fitter. 

I wish I had taken this route years ago.  Still better late than never.

Hi Joy

Glad that you are feeling so much better.

Anyone who has read my thread will know that I always err on the side of caution! I feel that you should do what your body is telling you but be aware that things can sometimes take a while to catch up.  You don't want to have a set  back from tapering too fast.

It is only a little while since you dropped to 13.5.  I am only in the early stages of taper, as you know, so can't offer any advice from my experience.

Sorry I can't give you more positive feedback but hope you enjoy the horses!

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Thanks flowers, really enjoyed the horses although after 3 very small bets and no winners I can't see how individuals get addicted to this!  Its just so good to find the energy to do these extra things, and enthusiasm.

I have just read your signature, I am so sorry you have lost your best friend.  At least you had a best friend, many years ago I realised I didn't really have any close relationships, and now I put this down to my long term psychiatric drug use.

I am really willing to listen to comments on this site and so am going to reduce to 13 mg NEXT Saturday instead of tomorrow which gives a bit more catch up time for symptoms to arise.

Trying to go swimming in the morning, for some reason I think this helps my body cope better.

Hi Joy

Even if you didn't win at least you were there enjoying the atmosphere. That is worth so much isn't it.

Thanks for your lovely comments re my best friend. I don't have many friends either but as I have no family my few friends have become my family over the years. I put this down to my husband being away a lot in the Navy and that's when you need support from family/friends. But you do have friends here Joy although we have never met!

I am glad you are taking things slowly just to be sure everything is OK before doing your next reduction.

I love swimming too and always seem to have a feeling of well being after a spell in the pool.

Have a nice weekend - hope the sun is shining over there.

xxxx

Hi flowers

Its grey and dull in Britain today, no sun whatsoever. 

Shallow sleep for half of last night and feel a bit tired today so really glad I have decided to hold at 13.5 mg.  I was measuring out my liquid and nearly did 13 mg but felt that would be a really bad decision.

Went sauna and then swimming and then to the hairdresser for a special treatment to make my hair easier to look after, keratin treatment, don't know if the rest of the world has it but it is new in the UK.  I realised that it really is what you feel like inside that matters and not what your hair looks like or your makeup, that it really is beauty on the inside that matters.  I feel more beautiful on the inside for going through my journey.

Have just watched a film on Netflix called 'Still Alice' about how someone in her 50s gets early onset familial Alzheimer's disease and I realised that I have had like a form of dementia all these years while taking psychiatric drugs.  Alice gets slowly worse, whereas I am getting slowly better.

Anyway, another good day, skin felt a bit creepy today and mood slightly lower, but basically good.

Sound advice Flowers, we once went to Nerja on holiday and loved it.

Hi Joy

Sounds like you had a good day after a not so good night. I agree that it's not important how beautiful we are but the fact that you are taking an interest in your appearance is a good sign. There have been many times since WD that I haven't given a jot if I even washed my hair!! I am pleased to say that those days are now gone.

I too get the reference to dementia. Like you say though unlike Alice we are getting better. I feel great just knowing that I am gradually getting this stuff out of my system.

Our weather hasn't been that great lately but stayed fine today for us to have a bbq with friends. Nerja is not far from us and is a very pretty place.

Hope you have better nights and good days so that you can continue with your taper.

xxxxxx

Thanks flowers a good sleep last night but I did take a phenergan pill and it helped. I was thinking about this - when I started on citalopram I had difficulty sleeping and on the Internet so we others and they took sleep aids then so I suppose it's just the same but in reverse I am going to look up what causes the disruption in the sleep patterns. Mood slightly lower today and I have lost a file at home and it is irritating me out of proportion went swimming this morning

Feelong very irritable and frustrated at everything in life can't be calm for very long not a good feeling

Feeling a lot calmer tonight, so it must be settling down now.  Hopefully

Glad to hear it joy! Hope you're back to your good days as soon as poss.

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.