SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Robin Williams

Nikki

He was the funniest guy ever:)  Have a heaviness about it like everyone else.

Depression can lead to suicide.  Don't know the details. This morning on the Today Show they (doctors) are talking about it being an illness.  Very difficult illness.

Yesterday I felt confused and still do, with being on WD sites and seeing and experiencing depression.

Sometimes the depression people share with us here scares me.  It's deep and long lasting and there is talk of ending it.

Wake up call for me.....I don't really know what is best for another.  I don't feel comfortable telling someone to endure what they are going thru and I don't feel comfortable suggesting that they take medication.

I have often wondered if there are people who really do have depression and what they are experiencing is not just protracted WD.  Again......I don't know and I don't have the answers.

I do know that being available for someone to talk too helps them out alot.  It sure helps me.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hard to say Nikki.   I wonder if his addiction to cocaine caused the depression.

No matter what, it is very sad.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I wonder if he was on antidepressants or in withdrawal.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

I wondered that too initially but he doesn't seem like the antidepressant type.  Only time will tell as to what the deal is.

Yes, that's true. It's so incredibly sad.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

I have often wondered if there are people who really do have depression and what they are experiencing is not just protracted WD.  Again......I don't know and I don't have the answers.

Shocked about R.Williams's death.

I also wondered about this;as a matter of fact, it is the title of my thread: Withradawal or Relapse.

But, I went through a very severe Major depression event, and let me tell you: this is hell, but depression, at least for myself, was a lot worse.

Depression was absolutely relentless,I was geting worse, no windows, no mercy...

This is different, after 2 years of struggling, things are getting better, in the typical pattern of waves and windows,2 steps forward, 1 step backwards....

I remember taking 3 different kind of benzos for insomnia during the big depression, and still have no sleep at all;now I have difficulties with sleep, but I am able to rest most of the nights, and, without any medicine at all.

On the other hand, I have reasons to be depressed, but I am getting better, emotionally better...it is weird..

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I guarantee he was on psych meds and had probably been on and off various psych meds, like so many of us, convinced his symptoms were "underlying illness" and he was just trusting the doctors and pharma that the meds were helping him, not harming him.

In fact I would be willing to bet some decent bucks that he had recently either been changed on meds or started on a new AD or psych med or combo. That seems to be a high risk time for suicidality.

He'd been in and out of rehab for a while and had bouts of depression before. I highly doubt he would have gotten through that without being introduced to the psych med merry-go-round.  He could afford the "best" doctors, after all, and we all know how helpful THEY are.

I wish he had found this forum. I think we could have saved him. It's so tragic how many lives are lost to antidepressants and psych drugs.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

The only good thing to come out of this tragedy of Robin Williams death, is the open and frank discussions about depression and mental illness.  Unfortunately, it is also causing people to start espousing the benefits of antidepressants and chemical imbalance myths.
I found this article

http://pix11.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-cnn-columnist-discusses-her-depression-diagnosis/comment-page-1/#comment-480485

Ugh...I feel like we are fighting a losing battle against the pharmaceutical industry, and the mental health profession and their proliferation of the chemical imbalance myth.  I just don't know how we can fight this over-eagerness of psychiatrists to over-diagnose and over-prescribe psychotropic drugs.  Especially when the pharmaceutical bullsh*t pill is being spread by journalists, who have also been force-fed their information by ignorant psychiatrists.

I posted this response to the author above:

Stephanie, a shortage of serotonin or a chemical imbalance is a scientifically unproven myth that continues to be perpetrated by pharmaceutical companies, who are the ones “educating” psychiatrists about their drugs. Antidepressants are highly addictive and as hard to get of off as heroin. Doctors are uninformed and do not inform their patients about the dangers of using these drugs. Despite of your symptoms, you are the perfect candidate for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which has been shown in clinical studies to be more effective than antidepressants long term. Antidepressants have been shown to work in only 50% of participants as compared with a placebo. There are thousands of us out there now, who have been put on antidepressants by ignorant doctors, who have struggled for years with the debilitating effects of withdrawal from antidepressants and other psychotropics. The longer you take an antidepressant, the harder it becomes to get off of it. What these drugs do, is down-regulate the receptors in your brain, in essence they physically alter your brain. It takes a very long time for these receptors to start functioning properly, if at all, even after a long careful taper. Never ever quit a psych drug cold turkey. I am speaking here from 10 years of personal experience. If you want to get better, you have to be willing to work on yourself, instead of just employing the easy fix of popping a pill. For help and resources on SAFELY getting off of antidepressants, please visit a peer supported site survivingantidepressants.org For free cognitive behavioral therapy workshop visit: http://www.allaboutdepression.com/workshops/CBT_Workshop/index.html

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

Oh, I guarantee he was on psych meds and had probably been on and off various psych meds, like so many of us, convinced his symptoms were "underlying illness" and he was just trusting the doctors and pharma that the meds were helping him, not harming him.

In fact I would be willing to bet some decent bucks that he had recently either been changed on meds or started on a new AD or psych med or combo. That seems to be a high risk time for suicidality.

He'd been in and out of rehab for a while and had bouts of depression before. I highly doubt he would have gotten through that without being introduced to the psych med merry-go-round.  He could afford the "best" doctors, after all, and we all know how helpful THEY are.

I wish he had found this forum. I think we could have saved him. It's so tragic how many lives are lost to antidepressants and psych drugs.

I am starting to wonder if you are right because of the violent way he committed suicide.    I have a vague memory of some professional stating that violent suicides are due to the effect of the SSRI.  

Stay tuned.

Excellent comment. 

If depression didn't kill him, SSRIS did,or the fatal combination of both.

Rest in peace, poor man.

This is weird, but I ALWAYS knew, I saw his sadness and demons behind his incredible talent for acting and humor...strange...

Very perceptive, Alex. I can't say that I saw his sadness, but I never felt I saw the genuine man behind the actor/comedian. When he did talk shows, he always seemed *on*.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

You know, I fear with his death that more people are going to get sucked into psych med hell.   Because now there is going to be more screening and folks not as savvy as us will answer the questions the wrong way even if they may not be suicidal.

Of course, if someone is suicidal, you want them to be able to get help.   But is the kind of help offered right now the solution?

Finally, everyone acts so concerned about suicide but why are people so shocked?   We live in a very cruel world and I will bet the folks acting concerned right now were nowhere to be found when someone was hurting and could have used a friend.  

Sorry for my cynicism but I have seen too much that has caused me to feel this way.

CS

...hell yeah. I could always feel Robin Williams too. he had deep sadness in his eyes. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

...hell yeah. I could always feel Robin Williams too. he had deep sadness in his eyes. 

I agree. 

Not very many actors can do great comedy and drama. He had the face and skills for it.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

I can't help but think of the black box warning 

"

Antidepressant Use in Children, Adolescents, and Adults

[5/2/2007] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today proposed that makers of all antidepressant medications update the existing black box warning on their products' labeling to include warnings about increased risks of suicidal thinking and behavior, known as suicidality, in young adults ages 18 to 24 during initial treatment (generally the first one to two months)."

This seems to missing from the discussion on tv and websites that I have seen. 

Today the talk that he killed himself because he had a dx of parkinsons 

Here is an article from public citizen about drug induced parkinson...or parkinsonism... which I believe I had no matter how the doctors seen it at the time. 

http://blog.seattlepi.com/boomerconsumer/2010/10/09/drug-induced-parkinsonism-is-frequently-misdiagnosed/

"

Drug-induced Parkinsonism is frequently misdiagnosed
Posted on October 9, 2010 By Rita R. Robison

Drug-induced Parkinsonism is widespread and a citizens’ advocacy group wants patients and doctors to be aware of the potential for misdiagnosis.

Parkinsonism is condition that causes a combination of the movement abnormalities seen in Parkinson’s disease – such as tremors, slow movement, impaired speech, or muscle. Not everyone who has Parkinsonism has Parkinson’s disease.

One of every 10 people who went to a Parkinson’s disease center were found to have drug-induced Parkinsonism, not the more serious disease it’s often mistaken for, reports Public Citizen.

The people were previously misdiagnosed as having the more common illness, Parkinson’s disease, which is irreversible and has unknown causes. Drug-induced Parkinsonism is reversible and is brought on by medication use.

If doctors mistake drug-induced Parkinsonism for Parkinson’s disease that means instead of stopping the offending drug, doctors may mistakenly treat drug-induced Parkinsonism with another drug while leaving the patient on the drug that caused the illness, said Sidney Wolfe, M.D., director of Public Citizen’s Health Research Group.

Aging can make one susceptible to drug-induced Parkinsonism, and older people may be especially sensitive to drug-induced Parkinsonism from antipsychotic drugs, according to Public Citizen. Also, almost 100 percent of people infected with HIV will get drug-induced Parkinsonism if given antipsychotic drugs.

Some symptoms of Parkinsonism that can distinguish it from Parkinson’s disease include:

• Symptoms on both the left and right sides. With Parkinson’s disease, the symptoms are typically on only one side.
  • Symptoms end once the drug is no longer used. Parkinson’s disease is chronic and progressive.
  • No degeneration in the brain. Parkinson’s disease causes brain degeneration in a specific area.

Worst Pills, Best Pills, a monthly newsletter published by Public Citizen, offers an article that lists 49 drugs that have caused Parkinsonism.

The article is available to the public for one week starting on Oct. 4. After that date, you’d need to join Public Citizen to access the newsletter.

For more information for boomer consumers, see my blog The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide.

This is the first thought I had when I heard the news today. 
I am sure I am not the only one who went right to the idea it was drug induced it well could have been.
The tv shows here in Canada today are constantly pushing the treat depression theme so fiercely I don't want to watch I keep changing the channel but it seem to be on each channel. 

I don't think we can think of this misinformation being on the back of journalists and docs only any tv set is constantly running commercials and programs for people with mental health if I see that depression hurts commercial one more time I swear I am going to hurl. 

And around we go.  
I heard a stat on the news today that 20% of kids have mental health issue and they need to be assessed and treated early there are fund raising programs going on here in Canada to fund child mental health project so more kids can get the "help" they need faster by having every small town having an assessment center... 
I don't see a way out of it. 

20% in child hood what % in high school brought on by teenage angst... I was attacked on line yesterday so saying antidepressants can be dangerous drugs... people love their drugs that is for sure.  

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Since it did not mention ssri I did an FDA quicky

[PDF]<a ctype="c" rank="8" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/021323s030s031,021365s021s022lbl.pdf" href="http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/021323s030s031,021365s021s022lbl.pdf" "="" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(30, 95, 137); text-decoration: none; word-break: break-word; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16.84375px;"> HIGHLIGHTS OF PRESCRIBING INFORMATION These ...
www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/021323s030s031,021365s021s022lbl.pdf - 197k - 2009-11-03 - Text Version
... in patients who have recently discontinued SSRI treatment and ... or convulsions),
hypoaesthesia, myoclonus, nystagmus, Parkinsonism, restless legs ... 

I have looked up effexor and I know it is listed as a side effect for that drug along with a few others I have taken however it was on when I was taking E that I had the symptoms of parkinsonism. 

Check you drug monograph it will be there.

seeking peace.

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

• Moderator Emeritus

I am starting to wonder if you are right because of the violent way he committed suicide.    I have a vague memory of some professional stating that violent suicides are due to the effect of the SSRI.  

Stay tuned.

Actually also a particular association with the exact method (hanging while kneeling) with AD associated suicides.

http://davidhealy.org/left-hanging-suicide-in-bridgend/

http://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/2014/08/hidden-in-plain-sight-epidemic-of.html

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

Well it looks like a few other people are talking about this besides us...

http://www.drugawareness.org/video-marlon-wayans-antidepressants-may-have-caused-robin-williams-suicide/

http://www.etonline.com/news/149843_marlon_wayans_says_antidepressants_may_have_caused_robin_williams_suicide/index.html

video above

Marlon Wayans: Antidepressents, Not Depression, May Have Caused Robin Williams' Suicide

"I think there's something in these medicines that people are taking for depression that's making them depressed and making them commit suicide," Wayans candidly said in an interview with Fusion Live. "I swear, I don't think it's depression. I think it's chemical. There's some kind of antidepressant drug that they're taking that's causing them to have visions and making them kill themselves. There's drugs out there -- if you take it, and if you're of certain descent -- it will make you a little crazy. I just feel like, it's chemical."

I know it is too late now. 

Had a car accident in 85

Has anyone been thinking what I'm thinking about Robin William's suicide? He had been in rehab and you know he had seen a psychiatrist and the chances were very high that he was on psychiatric drugs.....

Suicidal side effects anyone?  :(

God bless his soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBb5v1sJhuU

I took every anti psychotic made for 10 years. The drugs caused hallucinations, suicidal ideation, weight gain, violence, anger & anxiety. I was in & out of many horrific psych wards. I had to withdrawal cold turkey on my own as no doctor would help me. I lived in Seattle & used medical marijuana to help manage horrific panic attacks while coming off. It's been 2 years since I have taken psychiatric drugs. I now have PTSD from psychiatric abuse & torture. I'm a screenwriter, filmmaker & advocate for mental health rights.

Feel that which is big, near like moons.

That which is tiny, afar as stars.

So, cells in us, just distant villages inside.

me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Philosopher and radio show host Stefan Molyneux talks about the connection between SSRIs, suicide and Parkinson's disease as it possibly relates to the recent suicide of Robin Williams.

Published on Aug 15, 2014

As the details of the Robin Williams tragedy continue to unfold, shocking new information has come to light and the mainstream media has as usual failed to ask some incredibly relevant and important questions.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Great video thanks for posting the only thing I did not like was the blood like tear... bit too much for Ad takers perhaps or those trying to free themselves from them. 

I wonder if this video will make any headway... if anyone other than us here will actually see it and believe any of it. 

I feel so sorry for him as I think he got caught up in the ssri night mare and did not escape. I once was questioned by a person as to why I put so much time and energy into this subject I told them it is not just because of my personal experience of how bad this is it is also for all those people who got trapped and did not make it out.  

At the time I had a solid feel for all those we have lost ssri stories and the 2004 hearing transcripts were burned into me.  I don''t know how to leave it as it is part of me. I often think it was a bad thing to put myself thru both those learning activities while in the depths of withdrawal as it put me in a dangerous place and I do not suggest others actually go to either of those sites till they are very far from the hard withdrawal...but I already knew... I had a experienced a lot and it was validation for me personally.  More than that it was how on earth do we let new people start these drugs once we know.  I can't stop them but it ate at me a long time... made me even crazier more ills if you like. I don't recommend it but I had already done it I already knew... in some ways I wish I did not know. Maybe then it would be easier to get on with things... I don't know why some can go on and ohters can't.  I think in part it is how much you learn...some things I wish I did not know.  Yet at the time I thought in knowing all there was to know in how they work ect I would be better prepared to heal.  

I don't think you need to read the 2004 transcripts or keep up in ssir stories to heal... just so you know.  Like Eve I bit that apple and ate a worm that now lives inside me somehow making me feel in some way part responsible for not warning every single person who gets trapped and can't get out. I can't help but wonder why I feel this way and those who sell the drugs don't what is with that... why do I feel culpable ..it is irrational. I know I am still working on it... I hope to be free of it some day ... need some worm meds perhaps. 

This is how my peace get stolen so I am going to seek it a constant quest.

peace to you all

Had a car accident in 85

As one would well imagine, there has been quite a bit of discussion about Robin Williams on these boards. This clip just makes me so very, very sad.

(What's kinda cool, though, is that I can tell this sorrow is "mine," organic to me and not due to the meds. I'm lately having increasing luck distinguishing between the two sets of emotions. Still sucks when the neuro-emotions hit - like they did about 10 min ago. But when an authentic emotion, even a painful one, takes their place, I'm, like, "yay!") 

God bless his soul, indeed. 

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

At the time I had a solid feel for all those we have lost ssri stories and the 2004 hearing transcripts were burned into me.  I don''t know how to leave it as it is part of me. I often think it was a bad thing to put myself thru both those learning activities while in the depths of withdrawal as it put me in a dangerous place and I do not suggest others actually go to either of those sites till they are very far from the hard withdrawal...but I already knew... I had a experienced a lot and it was validation for me personally.  More than that it was how on earth do we let new people start these drugs once we know.  I can't stop them but it ate at me a long time... made me even crazier more ills if you like. I don't recommend it but I had already done it I already knew... in some ways I wish I did not know. Maybe then it would be easier to get on with things... I don't know why some can go on and ohters can't.  I think in part it is how much you learn...some things I wish I did not know.  Yet at the time I thought in knowing all there was to know in how they work ect I would be better prepared to heal.  

I think I read too much too, back when it happened to me.  I am not sure what the alternative was though.  After all we were around well before there was a lot in the way of organized help for this issue, so what choice was there BUT to learn on your own what had happened? 

Although in my case people I know personally have told me things that others here don't know which I frankly would rather not have known.  But you are right, once you know it you can't seem to unknow it; even when my memory loss was severe there were things I could not forget about the drug industry.  (And so as not to frighten people, my experience was my severe memory loss DID improve a lot.  If you have the same problem don't give up hope.)

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

. I'm lately having increasing luck distinguishing between the two sets of emotions

That is very good!!

Now I am curious of what they have said that others don't know if they are more horror stories I of what folks have done while drugged I am full up on that if it is knowledge I am all ears. 

Had a car accident in 85

Has anyone been thinking what I'm thinking about Robin William's suicide? He had been in rehab and you know he had seen a psychiatrist and the chances were very high that he was on psychiatric drugs.....

Suicidal side effects anyone?  :(

God bless his soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBb5v1sJhuU

I think a lot of people are thinking the very same thing there is another thread here on this at this link

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6870-robin-williams-death-opens-up-discussion-about-mental-illness/#entry97742

Had a car accident in 85

I read an article in which Robin Williams wife said that the only thing that helped Robin with his depression was exercise and when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, he feared not being to exercise anymore. i can relate to this because I have thought MANY times what would if I do if I could no longer exercise? So I can totally understand his fear. He also had a long history of drug and alcohol abuse and I can only imagine what they may have done to his system and his brain. Very sad.

Cbergens

Cberg

15 years of panic disorder back in the 1970's. Under pretty good control now.

Started Paxil two years ago for nightmares and depression after many eye and back surgeries

Started slow taper two years ago

Started at 15 mg. now down to 2.35 mg.

Symptoms during w/d included severe nausea in the morning, headaches, pulsating/throbbing in back of head

lightheadedness, depersonalization, lack of ambition or motivation to do anything

I read an article in which Robin Williams wife stated that Robin used exercise to control his depression. She said it was the only thing that had ever helped him and when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's he greatly feared he would no longer be able to exercise as the Parkinson's progressed. We have a best friend who was diagnosed with Parkinson's one year ago and in that one year the progression of the disease is striking. This man went from being able to do any manner of heavy work and now 'shuffles' instead of walking, and has difficulty cutting his meat (he doesn't have the strength to do it). So I can honestly understand Robin William's fears. I myself have often gotten the scary thought "what if I could not exercise anymore' because I am also a person who responds very positively to exercise.

Cberg

Started Paxil two years ago for nightmares and depression after many eye and back surgeries

Symptoms during w/d included severe nausea in the morning, headaches, pulsating/throbbing in back of head

lightheadedness, depersonalization, lack of ambition or motivation to do anything

This is not the exact article I read but similar. It talks about Robin Williams use of exercise and cycling to control his depression and his fear that he would lose his ability to exercise due to his Parkinson's disease.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/robin-williams-parkinsons-disease/

Cbergens

Cberg

This is not the exact article I read but does talk about Robin Williams using exercise and cycling to oontrol his depression and his fear that he would lose his ability to exercise to due his newly diagnosed Parkinson's disease.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/robin-williams-parkinsons-disease/

Cbergens

Cberg

• Moderator Emeritus

. I'm lately having increasing luck distinguishing between the two sets of emotions

That is very good!!

Agree! I remember when I first started noticing that in my own recovery. It's very cool. That's around the time I began noticing my original personality beginning to emerge too. Good things ahead for you, yay!

• Moderator Emeritus

"Battling severe depression"--I guarantee he was on meds. I'd bet my savings account on it.

My guess is he's been on them for many years, probably decades, and probably has a history similar to many of ours here, with various drug changes, cocktails, and long term deterioration over time.

And my guess is that when he recently went in for "fine tuning" what they did was "fine tune" his meds, like they almost always do and have done to so many of us here, which is to say, they added some and switched some. And so many of us have been through the kind of suicidality that is caused by that. I know I have. I've had two attempts in my past, both of them when I was coming off a med or going on a new med or both.

And I am of course completely unsurprised that this is not being talked about and in fact the media are going with the old story: if you're depressed you need to take meds.  Like the video says, pharmaceutical companies spend 19 times more money on ads than they do on research. Follow the money.

There will be many more death$.

From what I read I don't think he was on meds.  His personal assistant and wife would have to physically pull him out of bed.  The depressive episodes were that bad.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything Rhi said and believe he was on meds or in withdrawal.  What does surprise me though

is the number of people who are commenting on videos and new reports saying the same things, that meds 

make people more depressed and suicidal. Those kind of comments seem to outnumber those who are advocating

meds.  I just with that the doctors and psychiatrists would wake up and smell the rat that is big pharma. 

Oh yes, they did smell the rat and got into bed with it!   :angry:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy