SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Glutathione, the master antioxidant, and how to increase your intake

Altostrata

• Administrator

Glutathione can be instrumental in healing. Here are a couple of good articles about glutathione from celebrity functional medicine advocate Dr. Mark Hyman:

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/12/what-is-glutathione-and-how-do-i-get-more-of-it/

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/19/glutathione-the-mother-of-all-antioxidants/

Note that eating well, including those cruciferous veggies, is one of the ways to boost your body's production of glutathione. (If you have thyroid concerns, cooking cruciferous veggies will eliminate the risk.) And, if you focus on boosting your glutathione via healthy veggies, you will get the other benefits of the veggies as well.

Taking bioactive aka undenatured whey protein isolates is another way to boost glutathione.

See our topic about undenatured whey protein isolates here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2643-whey-protein-isolate/

and particularly my recent note about Immunocal http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2643-whey-protein-isolate/?p=97770

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don't doubt that glutathione is helpful.   I started taking N-acetylcysteine last week which increases these levels and it has helped with my functioning although obviously, the best supplement on this earth can't make up for chronic sleep deprivation.   But it is about the only one I have taken where I can honestly say I have seen some benefits.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

How much NAC are you taking and when, cs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

600mg  of the NOW Brand around 6am.    Will try increasing the dose after next week to see if I can get any more improvement.

I haven't done much today due to being depressed about various issues but the past few days, I have gotten more household tasks done than I have accomplished in months.   Unfortunately NAC hasn't helped with the type of concentration I need for focused cognitive tasks that I need to be able to do but like I said, it can't make up for sleep deprivation.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Here's some more about strategies to boost glutathione from a blogger with dietary restrictions because of histamine intolerance: http://alisonvickery.com.au/glutathione-reverse-your-inflammation/

This is really helpful. Thank you so much!

9/2006 Began Lexapro

1/2014 Began taper from 15mg 

Cut dose by 2.5 mg every two weeks or until stabilized 

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

Does anyone know of a practitioner who can work with you on methylation and detox, and oversee a supplement regimen? I have a naturopath but this is beyond his scope.

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

• Administrator

Please use search to see our discussions about methylation, etc. Essentially, it's beyond the scope of everyone. It's very poorly understood.

• Administrator

You're welcome, greentrain.

An overview about boosting glutathione http://www.immune-health-solutions-for-you.com/how-to-raise-glutathione.html (This site, an Immunocal dealer, is most enthusiastic about undenatured whey protein.)

Again, the raving about Immunocal is baloney. There are other undenatured whey protein isolates that are less expensive and just as good or better.

Oddly, the above article doesn't mention glycine. If you're getting enough cysteine in your diet, e.g. from cruciferous veggies like broccoli, adding glycine can help make glutathione -- and glycine is a calming amino acid, unlike glutamine. See http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jc.2013-2376

Magnesium also helps maintain glutathione http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-and-cell-survival-glutathione

Thank you again. I figure adding broccoli sprouts to my diet and drinking some milk thistle should be a good start for now. ;) 

You guys are amazing on this forum. I've learned more here than anywhere else. 

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

• 11 months later...

** merged from Glutathione topic"

Hi. I just wanted to know if anyone who has researched alot about withdrawal like maybe Altostrata had any thoughts about the role of glutathione in people in withdrawal? Glutathione depletion is seen in many auto immune disorders, chronic fatigue and other illnesses I wonder if people in withdrawal would benefit from trying to raise glutathione levels?

Edited by ChessieCat

Male

On Citalopram from 2008-2011 (age 19-23) for anxiety

Started on 20mg but was on 60mg at one point

Knew nothing about discontinuation and wasn't given much help from doctor

Tried stopping on my own after being stable on one pill a day (20mg)

Went horribly wrong and had to reinstate

Tried "tappering" on my own as doctor new nothing by taking half pills and skipping days

Managed to quit this way over 3 to 4 months

Had horrible reaction and began withdrawal hell

Found Paxil Progress after a month or so not understanding why symptoms wasn't going away

Mentally better but recently ran into huge fatigue problems after gradual onset. Now homebound

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/3-introductions-and-updates/

I really don't know, butI I recently started a special glutathione supplement made with reduced glutathione (it is apparently difficult to supplement directly) after a year of trying to raise it indirectly, and was able to make a huge-for-me lithium cut with so far only one evening of withdrawal symptoms. The goal of the supplement, which contains several things, is to raise levels of metathalionine (not sure of spelling, it is often shortened to MT), a group of proteins that are involved in detox generally and especially of both biological (like copper) and toxic heavy metals. According to my pdoc, MT is also a huge part of sealing the gut.

I have had lots of symptoms trying to take it, going up very gradually. It is like tapering, just in reverse...huge symptoms (especially muscle pain), gradually adjust, raise the dose, do it all again, yada yada. I was to take one capsule daily for a month, then two, but I am having to increase it in 1/8 of a capsule increments. But in-between those symptoms I feel like my baseline is improving a lot. I am also doing a parasite cleanse at the same time, so not exactly sure what is causing what, but I saw a lot of progress in the three weeks I was just doing the supplement. My pdoc's opinion is that when there is trouble in the brain, there is always, always, always trouble in the gut, even if the person doesn't have gut symptoms.

Edited by ChessieCat

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I've reacted to reduced glutathione supps, they are a big part of my Mold physician's protocol and i have never tolerated them. I have heart pain and trouble breathing. I might be able to tolerate them, now that I think about it, if I couplled with them with kidney support but this idea is only coming to me know.

Meimeiquest, that MT, was very difficult for me too. It was like pushing metals right out of storage and goodness, did it cause bad symptoms. I never take it.

(Edited font by ChessieCat:  OK, I got twisted up on fonts accidentally, I hope that is readable.)

The main idea is that the coupled with my sensitivity the glutathione I have taken (lipsomal, nebulized and powder) have been WAY WAY WAY too powerful. I am lucky I didn't end up in the hospital, it was like I had a heart attack. At one point I talked with doc about doing 1/100th of a capsule (when I was trying the powder which was the WEAKEST of the three delivery methods) and we just chucked the idea because it wasn't workable. If I could have found a way to supplement it, I bet I wouldn't have such a bad problem with bone and connective loss though.

Edited by ChessieCat

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Wow, where do you find doctors willing to use supplements and acknowledging the gut brain connection? I think I'm in the wrong country....

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if it is better to take glutathione in the am or pm?  Thanks in advance1

Edited by ChessieCat

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried injections of glutathione?

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

• 3 months later...

I recently have started a detox regimen. I came down with ebv/cfs last year and this is my third year of withdrawal. So the combo has had me struggling. I've put my taper on hold for the time being until I feel ready. But based on my results so far I might give it a go pretty soon.

When I say detox I'm not talking a short period of time. Detoxes take time and a box from Walgreens is little more than a fad. I'm talking a radical change in lifestyle that I plan on sticking with for at least a year and then on. I'm 33 and tired of feeling so bad as I've had depression thats only gotten worse since I was a teen. I'm cleansing for parasites and metals and generally detoxing my body.
I think these issues and the amalgam fillings in my teeth may have been playing a larger role in my imbalances than I would have thought. It's a fairly extensive protocol that involves more time than I currently have to explain.

It's only been a short time and I already am feeling better than I have in such a long time. I'm not just going to accept that this constant state of barely tolerable existence is the new me. That's not acceptable nor is an extensive existential crisis that has been my defacto state for almost three years now.

I understand that the use of supplements is frowned upon here with good reason. Personally I'm a little adventurous and willing to experiment with things and am willing to take the risks involved. Not all supplements are created the same and withdrawal management is hardly a defined science at this point and I'm not holding my breath on any studies. I listen to my body and generally know what I'm doing. Ymmv

Of you are not somewhat stable or functional I would proceed with extreme caution. I'm only on one drug currently and stable but I still have a lot of nerve pain, heat, and that type of thing.

I think glutathione could greatly ease a lot of stress for some folks. It has done tremendous things for me since my first dose. Just about all illnesses have been linked to low glutatathione levels. I would wager that withdrawal destroys glutathione and magnesium levels among other things.

If you have tried glutahione before and received little effect its most likely bc you are doing it wrong. Oral glutathione is a waste of time unless it is liposomal. That can be prohibitively expensive. 60 bucks for 30 days or so. I'm not rich like that. You can do one of two things. Make your own liposomes or take it rectally. I take mine rectally in solution with an oral syringe and it has done wonders. My nerve pain almost disappeared immediately. You can also make suppositories if you prefer. They are simple to make.

A lot of folks have hang ups with the rectal route but it's honestly the next best thing to IV. Almost just as good. So I would try to learn to get over that hang up if you want to feel better. Its really simple and not a big deal once you get used to it. I take lots of supplements that way bc many supplements are destroyed in your gut rendering them useless.

Glutathione is a little acidic. You may want to buffer your solution with something slightly alkaline to get the ph close to 7. Personally I use a little aloe essential oil and I haven't had any issues.

My personal feelings are that many of us crazies had issues with either parasites, metals, yeast mold or other toxins and pollutants and that's why we felt so bad to begin with. Things we should have Been checked for in the first place before the doctors drugged us to the gills for our non existent serotonin deficiencies. So I think changing your diet and getting rid of the toxins in your homes, and cleansing for these things might make a huge difference.

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

gabapentin (neurontin) - 900 mg-1500 mg - currently tapering to 900 mg once a day. this is the only drug i take now

olanzapine (zyprexa) - 20 mg - 2011-2015 (discontinued in August of 2015)

vyvanse - 70 mg - 2012 - 2014 discontinued (fast taper)

xanax/clonazepam - 2007-2011 (rapid detox) 

short history with SSRIs, mood stabilizers, and other goodies over the years

currently taking magnesium chloride oil internally and externally. 

• 5 months later...

My functional medicine doctor said glutathione is better absorbed in a suppository. I have made my own with shea butter. Heat the shea butter and open a capsule of the powder mixed in. Put it in the fridge to form, wrap with some wax paper, stick them in the freezer and use them at night. Does anyone have a better suppository making method? I feel a lot of energy after these first few days of taking them. I take them at night because it is a messy process, but it seems to give me energy. 

I was on Seroquel from 2008-2016 because Seroquel doesn't cause akathisia (in my case) and all other drugs do.   

I am tapering slowly off Seroquel- got down to 393.75mg, Fall 2016 ... 3% taper still couldn't keep me from hospital. 

Hospital stay switched me to 300 clozapine/clozaril.

Summer 2017: slowly cut and weighed clozapine/clozaril from 300mg to 275mg over 3 months. 

• 3 years later...

https://www.amazon.com/LivOn-Laboratories-Lypo-Spheric-Bioavailability-Professionally/dp/B004KU5S4E?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Am considering this brand of glutathione...anyone try it?  My therapist had horrific lyme and took this and the same brand's vit c and has great things to say.  Lyme is a lot different from SSRI WD, but seeing altostrata endorse glutathione makes me a feel a lot better about its chances helping me. 

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Remember to only try a small amount first and only make one change at a time.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy