Historygal: myofascial Pain syndrome real or WD mimicking any one had/have this?

historygal

Hi all,

I am new to this website so this is my first post on here. I cam across this website from doing a lot of research and I decided that joining a support group would be best. I was on prozac for a total of 6 months (not very long), however my Doctor tapered me off over a short period of 3 weeks and they were quite drastic reductions from what I have read. I had a terrible time during the acute stage with the strangest things happening to my body and I had severe neck pain. Over the course of 4 months a lot of symptoms did disappear. However, the neck pain turned into head pain at 5 months off and I was diagnosed with having a neck spasm that has not changed. The head pain from doing my research seems to be coming from the neck spasm which is causing referred throbbing and burning pain. The pain changes and is exacerbated by food, stress, anxiety and exercise. Around about this time my sleeping patterns changed. I know sleep for a max of 5- 6 hours per night and don't have deep sleep always waking up around about the same time. I also have restless legs syndrome, high Anxiety with heart palpitations, dry and metallic taste in my mouth, pins and needles, twitches, IBS, sinus secretion the symptoms all get worse around the time of month as well for me. The closest thing I can match my pain too is Myofascial pain syndrome which is like a localised form of Fibromyalgia usually happening to one part of the body, rather than whole. This can explain and account for some of symptoms but not all. I just wondered as I am aware that WD can mimic chronic conditions such as MS, Fibro, CFS and Lupus, is this WD?will this go? or has the chemical imbalance caused a chronic condition?? any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. I forgot to mention im 8 months into WD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Historygal, welcome to SA. I'm sorry that you didn't get any replies to your post. I moved it to

the introductions forum because it is specifically about your symptoms and history,

and more people will see it here and respond. 

Your symptoms do sound like withdrawal, there are many strange symptoms that 

seem to appear from nowhere for many people, sometimes months after the inital

withdrawal has settled, as you are experiencing.   

When you ask if it could be the chemical imbalance that has caused this, are you 

referring to depression?  The 'chemical imbalance' that causes depression has now

been proven to be untrue and is a myth perpetuated by the drug companies to sell 

their drugs!   You will find topics with links to scientific reports that show this in the 

current events section here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/27-current-events/

There are many members here suffering from withdrawal after quitting meds cold turkey,

every one has their own unique set of symptoms but can relate to each other and support

each other. It is the best place on the 'net ! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I just wondered as I am aware that WD can mimic chronic conditions such as MS, Fibro, CFS and Lupus, is this WD?will this go? or has the chemical imbalance caused a chronic condition?? any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. I forgot to mention im 8 months into WD.

Hi historygal,

Congratulations for getting off prozac and for staying off :)

Like MammaP, I was also confused about what you meant by a 'chemical imbalance'.  Its possible that prozac caused your brain chemistry to be altered from its natural balance, but at 8 months off, after only 6 months use, I would think any imbalance caused by the drug would be mostly reversed again.  This doesn't mean that prozac and your too fast taper from it hasn't caused another problem to develop. If this was withdrawal related, I would expect your symptoms would be decreasing, not increasing. Really, its impossible to know. 

While I was on Lexapro, I developed severe nerve pain which radiated from my neck, down into my shoulder, back and arm.  Various tests and scans showed that I had a compressed nerve in my spine.  But since coming off lexapro, the pain has stopped and has never returned.

If I were you, I would explore natural treatments for your neck spasm, I'm not sure what they would be, but acupuncture and chiropractic come to mind.  Magnesium can be physically calming and most people are deficient in it. Perhaps trying that may help see:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Why did your doctor put you on Prozac to start with?  Are you, or were you on any other medications?

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Historygal,

Welcome to the site. I'm very sorry that you developed these pains. Yes, I do believe your symptoms can be related to ADs or AD WD. I don't have any documented information on that, but I myself find muscle pain and joint pain to be part of my symptoms. But I think the fascias (fasciae) are affected too. Fascias are a tiny layer of connective tissue that surrounds our organs, muscles and pretty much everything in our body. I do believe that connective tissue can be affected by ADs. Muscle tendons are also made of connective tissue, and my osteopath friends have noticed that patients who take ADs have more tendinitis that are a lot longer and more difficult to treat. How I see it is that ADs change the fascias structure a little bit, their capacity to adapt, and they become tight. And this can create uncomfortable pains. And yes, pain/muscle tightness in the neck often lead to headaches and migraines. The myofascial pain are those fascias that covers the muscles of the body but I think all fascias could be involved. So a lot of tightness, decreased circulation can bring on all kinds of other symptoms. Like I said, this is only my own hypothesis, but it makes sense! :)

Like Petu mentioned, are your symptoms increasing or decreasing with time?

Osteopaths treat fascias really well. If you try osteopathy make sure the therapist you choose have a good scientific background and solid formation. Some massage therapists also have some fascial/myofascial techniques. These both can help a great deal! Let us know what you find and how it evolves!

Take care!!

Athena

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

• Administrator

Welcome, Historygal.

Many people develop body pain when having withdrawal syndrome, which it sounds like you have.

Many do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant. I would also look into acupuncture and chiropractic treatment, your body might have gotten into a bad and painful habit that can be corrected. This helped me with the body pain.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, historygal said:

Hi guys. It's been nearly 5.6 years for me and one symptom that has remained and stayed with me throughout is dark circles under the eyes, not just a couple of black bags but serious dark circles that have caused me to have to put makeup and concealer under my eyes. I feel embarrassed by this symptom as it can be noticeable. I have looked online and it can be caused by a number of things like allergies, or iron deficieny or possibly fatigue. I still don't have deep sleep and only able to sleep for 7 hours tops. Any one else with this symptom or does anyone have any suggestions that might help (naturally) will this go when WD ends?

Your new topic has been added to an existing topic:  facial-changes

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 years later...

Following the getting worse pattern

It's been a while since I've posted. I've tried my best to get into normal life with a job etc and accept my symptoms as part of my ongoing living. My symptoms are not letting up. I had one window back this year, outside of this I've had periods where I barely eat and the symptoms are reduced. I ate an organic diet for many years and also practiced fasting. I would say I've oscillates with food and had periods where I've eaten a poor diet but on the whole through most of these years I've fasted and ate salads. I don't see an end to this. I've developed more symptoms as time goes on and not following the pattern of healing and getting better but I would say getting worse. Any others out there with the sme? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature.  This will allow us to see your drug history at a glance.  Please follow these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

When things worsen it is a good idea to look back over at least the previous 6 months and think about what things have happened that might have contributed to the worsening.

Stress, both good and bad, can have an effect on our nervous system, which may already be overwhelmed by withdrawal.  Things that should be considered:

Covid - how has that affected you?  Did it effect your work, finances?  Even if you considered that you were handling it okay, because of the length of time that it has gone on and not knowing what will happen can catch up very gradually.

Has the Covid situation meant that you and your spouse have been having to spend more time in the house?  Whatever the cause, the impact is very stressful.

Sickness - have you been sick, taken antibiotics, had the Covid vaccination?

Alcohol

Drugs or supplements

Children - have any of your children moved out of home?

Death - have you lost any relatives or close friends or even a pet?

Holidays - have you been away on a holiday?  Some members of SA have noticed a worsening of symptoms during/after a holiday.

These are just some of the major things to consider.  However there could be some minor things that have happened which you don't thing are relevant, but they all add up.  Like the stress of the Covid situation and going back into society after isolation:

The Covid situation started early last year and things are becoming more normal but not going back to what they were pre-Covid.  Our world has been changed by what has happened and there is a lot of uncertainty that we didn't have before.

Even though we think we have been coping okay, I suspect that there are people for whom the stress builds up very gradually over time and that it can then rear its ugly head and they can't work out what has caused it.

I was watching a video yesterday and they had statistics of the increase in the number of people experiencing depression in American.  I think pre-Covid was 17% and post-Covid was 40%.  I cannot remember when the stats were taken.

Also see:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

immediate-adverse-reactions-to-an-antidepressant-or-within-a-few-doses-how-long-for-recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @historygal, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.