Lilu

Amazing article: "What I Wish People Knew About Depression"

Lilu

The following article really hit home for me. It is the best summary of what depression really is and the false notions that most people have about what it takes to cure it.  It moved me so much that I actually forwarded to a lot of my family and friends, without quite revealing anything. Feel free to use the following intro to send to someone who just doesn't understand:

"The suicide of Robin Williams is something no one saw coming. Who knew that comedians are some of the saddest people?  Who are the funny people in YOUR life?  And how well do you know them?  

Chances are there is at least one person in your life who is suffering in silence.  Depression is an illness without understanding.  One crucial step that all of us can take is to turn ignorance into knowledge. Therese Brochard, has written an amazing article about the various misconceptions that people have about what it takes to cure depression.   Removing the stigma from this complex and misunderstood illness and increasing awareness and understanding is key to preventing arguments, isolation and suicide.  Please forward."

What I Wish People Knew About Depression
By Therese Borchard
Published Aug 21, 2014

Someone recently asked me to write on what I wish people knew about depression, in light of Robin Williams’ suicide. Here’s my response.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/therese-borchard-sanity-break/what-i-wish-people-knew-about-depression/

My favorites from the article above:

• I wish people knew that depression doesn’t happen in a vacuum and is part of an intricate web of biological systems (nervous, digestive, endocrine, respiratory), that depression is about the gut as well as the brain, the thyroid and the nerves, that we would have better health in this country if we approached depression with a holistic view.
  • I wish people would offer those who struggle with depression the same compassion they offer to friends with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, breast cancer, or any other socially acceptable illness, that they’d question those discriminations and judgments reserved for disorders that fall under the umbrella of “mental illness.”
  • I wish people knew that depression wasn’t something that can be cured by participating in a 21-day meditation series with Deepak Chopra or Eckhart Tolle on Oprah.com, and that although mindfulness efforts can certainly help, it’s possible to have consistent, chronic death thoughts even after years of developing a meditation practice.
  • I wish people knew that, despite impressive research on neuroplasticity and our brain’s capability of changing, it is unfair to expect a person to undo depression by merely thinking happy thoughts, that the science is new and while a person can be mindful of forming new neural passageways, he can’t change a lamp into an elephant overnight, just as he can’t un-think a tumor from happening.
  • I wish people knew that a depressed person is capable of fake laughing for two hours through a dinner only to go home and Google “easiest ways to get cancer,” that most depressed persons deserve Academy Awards for outstanding acting, and that it can be practically impossible to pick up on the desperation and sadness in a person who wants so badly to die because chances are she is the one cracking jokes in a crowd.
  • I wish people knew that the worst part about depression is the sheer loneliness, the inability to express the anguish that rages within, and that the smiley-face culture we live in worsens that loneliness because depressed persons are so scared to tell the truth.
  • I wish people knew that persons who struggle with depression aren’t lazy, uncommitted, and weak, that they are not trying to get attention.
  • I wish people knew that the hardest thing some persons will ever do in this lifetime is to stay alive, that just because staying alive comes easily to some, it doesn’t mean arriving at a natural death is any less of a triumph for those who have to work so very hard to keep breathing.

mammaP

I wish people knew that depression is often not an illness itself but a symptom of another condition.

Treat the condition and the depression will get better. It is disabling, and horrendous for sufferers

but medication is invariably thrown at someone suffering depression when in reality it is secondary.

I wish everyone read the side effects leaflets that come with all drugs. Depression is listed on many 

but doctors will never tell you that, they will tell you that the depression is an illness in itself. 

I wish people knew that lack of sunlight causes depression, and that getting out in the sun or using a

sun lamp can make a difference, but doctors will offer drugs .....................

I wish people knew that a sedentary life can cause depression and that getting exercise in the fresh air

can make a huge difference. 

I wish that people who are in abusive relationships could find a way out, but instead they are given drugs and 

a label of mental illness.

I wish that everyone in a job they hate could find a job they love, but instead they are offered drugs and that label.

I wish that everyone who is grieving could accept that grieving is natural, it hurts and is utterly devastating, but instead

they are given that label and drugs......

I wish they very few people who are suffering from major depressive disorder could be reassured that it will pass, but ..

I wish people were not labelled as mentally ill when they are suffering physical illness, treat the illness and the depression gets better.

Altostrata

Lilu, no one on this site needs to be educated about depression as you see it. Please stop this.

compsports

I wish people knew that depression is often not an illness itself but a symptom of another condition.

Treat the condition and the depression will get better. It is disabling, and horrendous for sufferers

but medication is invariably thrown at someone suffering depression when in reality it is secondary.

I wish everyone read the side effects leaflets that come with all drugs. Depression is listed on many 

but doctors will never tell you that, they will tell you that the depression is an illness in itself. 

I wish people knew that lack of sunlight causes depression, and that getting out in the sun or using a

sun lamp can make a difference, but doctors will offer drugs .....................

I wish people knew that a sedentary life can cause depression and that getting exercise in the fresh air

I wish that people who are in abusive relationships could find a way out, but instead they are given drugs and 

I wish that everyone in a job they hate could find a job they love, but instead they are offered drugs and that label.

I wish that everyone who is grieving could accept that grieving is natural, it hurts and is utterly devastating, but instead

I wish they very few people who are suffering from major depressive disorder could be reassured that it will pass, but ..

I wish people were not labelled as mentally ill when they are suffering physical illness, treat the illness and the depression gets better.

mamap,

Someone on the MIA site is espousing the mental illness is biological type of argument,   Can I use points in your post to respond?

Thanks!

CS

mammaP

mamap,

Someone on the MIA site is espousing the mental illness is biological type of argument,   Can I use points in your post to respond?

Thanks!

CS

Of course you can CS  :)

compsports

mamap,

Thanks!

CS

Of course you can CS  :)

Thanks!

Barbarannamated

MammaP~

EXCELLENT !!

Lilu

Lilu, no one on this site needs to be educated about depression as you see it. Please stop this.

How "I" see it?  I don't think so.  I look at ALL the evidence. Not just one sided evidence.  The fact is that there are children who develop depression simply because they mother has it. Children who come from healthy happy homes who don't have any physical conditions and yet they develop a mental illness. Children who are not given psychotropics when their  young brains are developing, and yet they start having suicidal thoughts for no apparent reason.  Just recently, my cousin told me that he started having suicidal thoughts and feelings of wanting to die when he was 10  years old.  None of the reasons that MammaP stated apply to him. None.  So where does THAT come from?

Why is it so often people who are adopted, and grow up in loving supporting homes, develop mental illness only to find out that their biological parents had it or that it runs in their biological families?

While I don't have to believe in a chemical imbalance theory or some other physical brain disease. I'm not going to ignore undeniable evidence of genetics and biology at play. 

We don't know everything. Scientists don't know everything.  But there's gotta be a reason why physically healthy, well-adjusted children, who come from happy loving and supportive homes, out of the blue, develop mental illness.

Meimeiquest

That is an amazing post to me from someone who wouldn't even consider looking for food allergies.

Lilu

That is an amazing post to me from someone who wouldn't even consider looking for food allergies.

Food allergies?  Oh ok. I'll tell my cousin.

Meimeiquest

Lily, I come from an extremely loving family, in 24 years of marriage I have not had one day of not knowing my husband loved me and was committed to our family. I know I am incredibly blessed. My grandmother, an extremely kind woman, spent over a decade of her life in devastating postpartum psychosis and depression, missed the wedding of her only daughter. My dad remembered sitting in his crib and feeling depressed and had what were probably severe bouts of depression that he just powered through on the strength of his commitment to life (although I know that is truly not possible for everyone and he was hospitalized once). When he was suicidal he requested guns be taken from the house. I can assure you I did not end up on a five drug cocktail from being overly optimistic. I really know that depression happens. But there is always a cause. Finding the cause is really, really hard, but worth it.

Altostrata

Enough, Lilu.

Lilu

Lily, I come from an extremely loving family, in 24 years of marriage I have not had one day of not knowing my husband loved me and was committed to our family. I know I am incredibly blessed. My grandmother, an extremely kind woman, spent over a decade of her life in devastating postpartum psychosis and depression, missed the wedding of her only daughter. My dad remembered sitting in his crib and feeling depressed and had what were probably severe bouts of depression that he just powered through on the strength of his commitment to life (although I know that is truly not possible for everyone and he was hospitalized once). When he was suicidal he requested guns be taken from the house. I can assure you I did not end up on a five drug cocktail from being overly optimistic. I really know that depression happens. But there is always a cause. Finding the cause is really, really hard, but worth it.

This is exactly the type of situations that I'm talking about.  I would think that with a family history of mental illness, it might be just a little bit easier to see patterns of possible causes. Have you or your family members discovered any definitive causes?

Altostrata

Lilu, do you ever read any one else's Intro topic? People on this site are working to get beyond psychiatric diagnosis. No one needs to be reminded of the myths about "depression" and other mood disorders that are so important to you. They have all been oppressed by them.

Your preoccupation with the biopsychiatric definitions of mental illness does not belong on this site. This is my last verbal warning: Go elsewhere to discuss such interests. After this, you will get more points. Upon your 4th point, you will be locked out of this site.