One month into anti-psychotics and the Sadness Appears

Omorfi

This spring I made the huge mistake of getting off my medications too fast. I took 2 months in a painful withdraw from Xyprexa and then went quickly off Zoloft and stopped taking Lithium cold turkey. Mania ensued and I am now back on Latuda and Lithium. I am sad that all the work I did went out the window. But, this kind of sadness reminds me of the year I spent on Xyprexa. I am a performing artist and the urge to sing or dance is gone. The urge to do mostly everything is gone. I push myself to go to yoga but this sadness is painful. I also read The Anatomy of an Epidemic and the weight of the book and knowing the truth seems to make me feel like the pain won't end. 

Is this depression my fault? Is is the medication? 

I am in need of some support. Because the Dr I see recommended an anti depressant but I don't agree. Over the last month each day seems to get darker. 

Currently on .75mg of Risperdol

450 mg of Trileptal

600 mg of Lithium 

Hello odorfi when I dropped down a dose on zyprexa my mood lifted noticeably ,anti psychotics definitely dampen your mood

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Administrator

Omorfi, the entire purpose of antipsychotics is to muffle or deaden emotions. Please use Google to read up on the side effects of your drugs.

As for antidepressants added to the mix -- does that really make sense, to add drugs to counteract the effects of other drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for the response. I know the side effects. I have done my research and I have felt this way on Xyprexa before. I just can't believe a side effect could feel this bad. I just keep thinking this must be my fault....this must be the "the illness"....even though I know I don't necessarily believe that. Could one month on these drugs make me this sad? Its just unbelievable to me. 

And no it doesn't make sense to add another drug into the mix. I tried that last time and in withdrawal it made things that much more complicated. 

I am just tired of no one having the answers. I am tired of Dr's claiming to know and making my life worse. I am tired of my sensitized nervous system. I am tired of doing this alone. I am tired of feeling sad. I am tired of seeing my joy float away with every passing week I am on these drugs. I am just sad and tired and alone. 

Im sorry to vent like that. Thank you for your help

450 mg of Trileptal

600 mg of Lithium 

Could one month on these drugs make me this sad? Its just unbelievable to me. 

Yes zyprexa is very strong ,it made me very sluggish and depressed it works very quickly in a matter of days

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Administrator

It sounds like you need to work with a different doctor who will help you minimize your drugs. Having this discouraging side effect is certainly not effective treatment.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for your response. I am having a hard time believing this medication could make me feel so bad. I know I felt the same way on Xyprexa but there are no published side effect of depression or extreme sadness. Some people do fine on the drugs. Why do I suffer? Is it because I have read my findings and don't like the idea of medications? It plays tricks with my mind. 

Do other people feel sad and depressed on these anti-psychotics? 

450 mg of Trileptal

600 mg of Lithium 

Thank you for your response. I am having a hard time believing this medication could make me feel so bad. I know I felt the same way on Xyprexa but there are no published side effect of depression or extreme sadness. Some people do fine on the drugs. Why do I suffer? Is it because I have read my findings and don't like the idea of medications? It plays tricks with my mind. 

Do other people feel sad and depressed on these anti-psychotics?

many many people report lethargy ,zombification and depression as side effects of zyprexa ,I don't think it's down to you

Each time I have tried to come off it my mood is significantly better but my sleep is distrupted and my anxiety rockets

Go slow and you will be ok

• Moderator Emeritus

One of the listed side effects of lithium is mental depression:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/lithium-side-effects.html

The side effects of latuda include tiredness, loss of appetite, drowsiness and unusually long duration of sleep

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/latuda-side-effects.html

There is a moderate interaction between them which increases the effects of Latuda:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1477-0,3278-14870

I think you will start to feel much better when you lower your dose and get off these drugs, but please do it safely this time so you avoid going into withdrawal and having to go back on them.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Yes, these drugs are that powerful and many people do not like the side effects.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy