SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Zenwind: Quit effexor without knowing withdrawal symptoms. Now having all sorts of symptoms, what should I do now?

Zenwind

• Moderator Emeritus

Try not to worry zenwind, whether its a reaction to the flu shot or a withdrawal wave, it will pass.  I hope you are feeling better again soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zenwind

• Altostrata

• LexAnger

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Petu,  I know it will pass...  Just I feel desperate.  

I never had acute WD three times in 2 months.  I cold Turkyed several times before but every time I reinstated, I was OK after that.  I am so worried and scared if I have this frequent pattern of window and wave in the future.

I don't know if I am strong enough to go through...

I am sometimes attempted to cold Turkey again and reinstate small amount to see what happens.   

I really don't know if I should take this risk...

2004 Sept paxil 

2005 July I quit Paxil(CT) Sept., acute WD/relapse then reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.

2006 March quit Paxil (CT) again then April acute WD/relapse reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.   

2010 Oct. I had the same episode above 

2011, I had a breast cancer (stage 1) and doctor changed Paxil to Effexor 37.5 mg.  (she said effexor works for hot flushes and it's better for me)

2012 in May, Effexor dose was increased to 75 mg because it wasn't working much for my hot flushes.  

2014 in May, I changed back to 37.5 mg.  Because of few of the side effects I did not like.

My breast cancer is now all cleared. 

2012-2014 I was quitting effexor every 3 months without knowing the harmful consequences. no WD until 2014 Aug. 

2014 2014 Aug 25 after 1.5 months of off Effexor, WD reinstated 75mg for 10 days and got adverse reaction then Finally found this forum 
2014 Sept 1 reduced the dose to 37.5 
2014 Sept 20 took antibiotics (amoxillin) for tooth implant which led me to terrible WDS again  
         Oct 13 started to taper;  took 4 beads out of 38.  had one great week and Oct 21, after flu shot, acute WD
 I realized each cap has a different number of beads.  Started to count 34 beads. Waves and Windows in 2 weeks interval.   
2014 Dec. 28 Started Prozac bridge with my psychiatrist's instruction.  Added Prozac 5mg
2015 Jan 07 started to taper Effexor 5 beads everyday  
2015 Jan 13 Effexpr 0 beads +Prozac 1.25 ml (5 mg) +Klonopin 0.25 mg at night: since tapering off Effexor, feeling great, much less tinnitus and tingling pain 
2015 Jan 22 increased Prozac to 10 mg due to the depression.
supplement: fish oil 2400 multi Vt. Jan 8 changed to EPA 1200 + DHA 600 

Zenwind, I just managed to get off of Effexor with the help of a bridge. Fortunately, my current doctor admits how awful the drug can be, and how hard it can be to get off of it (though she still is the kind of doctor that has a tendency to just prescribe meds.....). Either way, just wanted you to know, you certainly aren't alone in these symptoms and the horrible feelings that you are having, and you're definitely not alone in not being warned about quitting Effexor. I had two doctors and a pharmacist all tell me to just stop cold at 37.5. Didn't go so well for me either. I think I lasted 3 or 4 days and I realized it was too much. I just wanted to tell you, it can be done, be careful, take it slow, you can make this. It is a tough road.....but you can do it....good luck!!!

Plethora of pain killers, muscle relaxants and other scary stuff for neck injury, featuring medications such as Diclofenac, Celebrex, L-Dopa (BAD experiment by the doc), cyclobenzaprine, Baclofen, and several others. Those ended, then Effeor XR, 150mg, started 3 years ago....started tapering 1.5 years ago, 150 (maybe 112.5, can't remember) 75 to 37.5, a month or more stabilizing at each dose..... to 37.5 every second day (for ~2 weeks), then off. Celexa 20mg (lasted 3 days), Celexa 10mg ~1month, Celexa 5mg ~1month. Currently med free as of September 28, 2014 except occasional Advil, Benadryl or Cyclobenzaprine and Nuva Ring birth control (perhaps irrelevant). 
Current supplements: 1000mg fish oil, Magnesium +D, B50 complex, Multi vitamin

Thank you I really appreciate your encouragement, Improving.  It must be so good for you to be off effexor.  Did you have any acute WD since you got off the meds?  

It's been 7 days since I have terrible dysphoria, flu-like symptoms, shivering and brain zaps. Every morning, I am hoping they all are gone but still there.   Yes I know I am not alone.  I am scared and when I am desperate with having the symptoms, I am looking for anything to get out of it then some illogical thoughts like "cold Turkey..." come up.  At the moment, I am more concerned about stabilizing current condition. 

Having acute WD worries me because I can't plan anything.  Fortunately I have my own business but I have a business trip to Paris in three weeks.  What happens if WD happens.  I am not functional at all.    

2004 Sept paxil 

2005 July I quit Paxil(CT) Sept., acute WD/relapse then reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.

2006 March quit Paxil (CT) again then April acute WD/relapse reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.   

2011, I had a breast cancer (stage 1) and doctor changed Paxil to Effexor 37.5 mg.  (she said effexor works for hot flushes and it's better for me)

2012 in May, Effexor dose was increased to 75 mg because it wasn't working much for my hot flushes.  

2014 in May, I changed back to 37.5 mg.  Because of few of the side effects I did not like.

2012-2014 I was quitting effexor every 3 months without knowing the harmful consequences. no WD until 2014 Aug. 

2014 2014 Aug 25 after 1.5 months of off Effexor, WD reinstated 75mg for 10 days and got adverse reaction then Finally found this forum 
2014 Sept 20 took antibiotics (amoxillin) for tooth implant which led me to terrible WDS again  
         Oct 13 started to taper;  took 4 beads out of 38.  had one great week and Oct 21, after flu shot, acute WD
 I realized each cap has a different number of beads.  Started to count 34 beads. Waves and Windows in 2 weeks interval.   
2014 Dec. 28 Started Prozac bridge with my psychiatrist's instruction.  Added Prozac 5mg
2015 Jan 13 Effexpr 0 beads +Prozac 1.25 ml (5 mg) +Klonopin 0.25 mg at night: since tapering off Effexor, feeling great, much less tinnitus and tingling pain 

• Administrator

Please do not EVER cold turkey a neurologically active drug again. Your nervous system is not made of rubber! These symptoms are your nervous system telling you you've pushed it too far. It needs gentle, loving care now.

Many people find meditative breathing helps them get through the rough spots. Please see the topics on this and other ways of coping with symptoms in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto you are absolutely right.  I regret not knowing what I was doing.  And I pushed it too far.  Now scared of what is going to happen to me.  What I know is I have to be patient.  This time, I will have the most conservative way to take care of myself.   I will wait until I feel ready to taper 10%.  

Yes breathing exercise and meditation help.  When I am focused, I feel better afterwards.  It is always a debate between "get up and go" or "rest in the bed".  

I have a question:  Can I take Zolpidem 5mg when I need to sleep or I shouldn't?  In the past, I took several times and I could sleep 2 hours well.  

2004 Sept paxil 

• Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind that the fear of withdrawal is also another symptom of withdrawal. The withdrawal itself causes anxiety, which makes other anxieties worse.

I can totally relate to that conflict between "get up and go" and "rest in bed." And sometimes one is better and sometimes the other is better, and you just have to sort that out through your own experience, which I know is challenging. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I know it's awful.

If it's any help, though, if you give your nervous system as much gentle TLC as you can, and be patient and give yourself time, we have seen many, many people come through this process and get much better and recover. I think you will, too, as long as you take care of yourself and don't make any extreme changes.

Zolpidem seems to be highly variable for people. I can use it from time to time (in very small amounts, 1/4 of a 5 mg tablet or so) but if I use it every night for five nights or so, I get withdrawal symptoms when I stop using it. And right now I am not as neurologically unstable as you are, I am in a more stable place in my recovery, so my experience may not apply to you at all. Personally I would recommend trying a small amount of melatonin (1 mg or less) before zolpidem. Melatonin can also be powerful like any hormone but for me it is gentler.

I would also start with sleep hygeine kinds of tricks which you can find described on the Internet--for sure, no use of TV or computer or bright light for a couple of hours before bed, plus get exercise earlier in the day, plus stick to a daily routine, and keep the bedroom dark and quiet or use a bit of white noise if it helps.

In our Symptoms and Self Care section there is extensive discussion of sleep and insomnia and all the things people have found helpful. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you for your consideration Rhi,  Every words and advises people give me here keep me going.  I need to hear those words " you will get better and recover"

I really need to tell myself that tomorrow maybe a much better day.  I just never had this prolonged WD symptoms in the past 10 years.  

I am actually an Eastern healing artist practicing Shiatsu and posture correction.  I am so ashamed I know a lot about Eastern healing method but I struggled to WD from the AD for many years and I didn't know what was happening to me.   I always thought my physical problems in the past 3 years came from pre menopausal symptoms or the breast cancer.   I did a lot of things I could in the Eastern healing point of view but it was not working.  Now I know everything was from the AD and my ignorance of WD method.  

In the modern world, we are trained to work hard and push ourselves to the maximum.  I realized that the most important first step to deal with WD is to admit myself as a wounded person.  Then to treat and take care of my nervous system as I treat wounded loved ones. I have to leave all the regrets behind and start all over for the good future.  One day at a time.  ( although when I am desperate, I can be really confused..  I know.. )

PS.

I took Melatonin 2.5 mg the day before yesterday.  I could sleep better at night but I couldn't function the next morning.  Maybe right now, I should stay away form it. Last night without any pills, I slept 2.5 hours and after that, for 4 hours on and off I guess.  But my head is clearer this morning.  Just my body is still not a good state to function with Dysphoria.  

2004 Sept paxil 

• Administrator

You may wish to try less melatonin, Zenwind. See our melatonin topic in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I tried less than 1mg of Melatonin two days ago and the next day, I felt terrible all the day.  I am not sure if this is from melatonin because I took melatonin 2.5 mg 5 days ago and I didn't feel that bad.  Anyway I should stay with minimum supplements and meds right now.

Fish oil (I take 2400 - 3000)is good to keep me positive.  (Trader Joe's is good but Natures Boundary caused me palpitation) I take magnesium about 200mg even though I am not sure what that's doing to me.  I have been taking Nuskin's Lifepak nano (multi-Vt) because I didn't notice bad effect by taking it (anyway I had good days and bad days).  But I wonder if I should pause for few days to see how I feel without. Right now I really want to release any stress from my CNS to heal.  But I am afraid if this change cause a bad reaction.  Decisions decisions decisions!  please help!  

2004 Sept paxil 

Yes it's been 2 weeks I haven't been able to function normally.  Suffering and only wait for the day to pass.  I don't know what God wants me to learn from this suffering...  

2004 Sept paxil 

After 17 days of hell with most of the time bedridden, on Nov. 4 at around 5:00 pm I started to feel better.  I ate dinner like a normal person.  17 days was a long time of suffering.  It's been 2 and a half days I am OK.  Thank God !!!

2004 Sept paxil 

• Moderator Emeritus

You are having a window Zenwind and I am happy for you, it's time you had some relief.  When it closes

and a wave washes over you, remember this window and know that the waves pass. I hope this continues for 

a long time for you.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you mammaP,  I also hope this normalcy continues for a long time.  

I went to see my general practice doctor who I have been for 8 years.  I like him.  He is about the age of 40 and I can talk to him about many things regarding meds.  And I told him about what I was going though, WD syndrome, then he said " He had never had a patient who had a problem with quitting such low dose of AD.  You can quit it without problem"  and he said it should be side effects of AD or relapse or I have thyroid problem.  He refused to see the website of SA.  I decided not to argue with him anyway from the first, I didn't expect him to understand WD.  I knew I have to believe in my own observation of my own body.  

I spoke to Dr. Samoon Ahmad (recommended by SA) in NYC.  He was nice and co-operative.   He said he would discuss the tapering plans (possibly to bridging with different meds) and observe my relapse.  He charges $500 per hour.  

I also contacted to Dr. Brogan (recommended by SA) in NYC.  Her office emailed me back.  First visit is $1,250 for 2 hours and after that $545 for follow up one hour visit. 

it's very expensive and they are out of network.  I didn't decide to see either of them yet.  When my 10% tapering plan doesn't go well, I will decide to see a doctor.

I just don't want to have another acute WD.  It is a very very scary thing.  

2004 Sept paxil 

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize it's been almost a month since the last update.  

Since Nov. 4, I had four days of windows then one day of bad wave, then about a week of OK windows.

Then I went to Paris to close my business on Nov. 15, it was a big risk because I was still 75% OK but I had to do it in order to avoid financial loss.  Fortunately I felt much better in Paris around Nov. 18. and completed my mission.  I came back on Nov. 22.  I was doing OK till the end of Thanks Giving.

Then on Dec.1, the wave came back. And it's been 5 days I am in the wave.  I am again home bound.  It's terrible.  

I went to see Psychiatrist.   He was very good.  I had to fill up 15 pages of Q&A.  So he knew a lot about me when I saw him.  He recommended me to take a genetic test of anti-depressant and using prozac as a bridge while taking Effexor every 2 days ...3 days... to taper off.  I know some people used a bridge to get off Effexor.  Does anyone recommend to do that?  

2004 Sept paxil 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Zenwind, I'm sorry to hear that you are in another wave.  I think that maybe  you started to 

taper too soon after reinstating, it can take a few months to stabilise after reinstating. You did

well to go to France and do what you had to do there, well done!   

Some people do switch to prozac from effexor successfully and then taper the prozac.  Here is a topic

about bridging with prozac. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi mammaP. Thank you for the link. If the result of my genetic test says prozac goes with me, I will try it.

I am still having wavy days, not as bad as few weeks ago though. Yes I need to stabilize my CNS. I am just taking a day at a time.

2004 Sept paxil 

Oh man every time I get the flu shot it makes me terribly ill even before I came off Paxil. I can only imagine what you are going through. I don't even dare get a flu shot this year. I hope you feel better soon.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Hello Z,

Sorry to hear your not doing so well.

I myself am due to have some dentistry!!

Scary stuff!

Its sad that we in withdrawl have to be so cautious of every day procedures!

I try not to get any vaccinations or any other medications, as I fear that doing so will further compromise my CBS.

Hope you get back to feeling better!

Your in my payers

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hi Zenwind, I'm sorry to hear that you are in another wave.  I think that maybe  you started to 

taper too soon after reinstating, it can take a few months to stabilise after reinstating. You did

well to go to France and do what you had to do there, well done!   

Some people do switch to prozac from effexor successfully and then taper the prozac.  Here is a topic

about bridging with prozac. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

Hi mammaP, I have a question about prozac bridge after reading the link,

Asto says that she prefers the way prozac and another med being taken together only less than 2 weeks.  Does that mean I could taper effexor everyday 3mg to taper off in 2 weeks while i am taking prozac?  My doctor suggested to take effexor in an alternate days- but Alto doesn't recommend to do this.     

2004 Sept paxil 

Thanks for leaving me messages, Frustrated and tgirl.

In the past 10 days, I had 2 good days, 2 bad days, and 6 wavy days with a various condition in a day.  My condition is still unstable.  Losing confidence and joy.  It's cold outside I can't just go for a walk.  

Palpitation is the key.  Less palpitation the better function and stability I feel.  

Every night I wish a better day tomorrow.... 

2004 Sept paxil 

mammaP, I have another question.  When I open a cap of effexor 37.5 mg, sometimes there are 39 beads with few more tiny beads, and sometimes there are only 36 beads.  When you count beads, do you just go with the number of beads?

2004 Sept paxil 

• Moderator Emeritus

Quick visit, It seems to be recommended to take the prozac and taper the effexor in 2 weeks,

so your taper seems to fit with that. Prozac liquid is best because it is much easier to taper. 

I just count the beads of effexor. Now I'm down to the last 2 I am very careful about the sizes

but you wont need to worry about that if you are switching to prozac. Let us know how it goes.

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Hello, ZW.

As the Prozac switch topic suggests, my guess is it's best to do a bit of an overlap of Prozac and Effexor if you're going to do the switch.

Never, ever skip days to taper an antidepressant.

Since it seems you're having some windows on your current Effexor dose, why not stick with that for a while? You could stabilize on Effexor and reduce it without doing a switch, which incurs more risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Alto, Thank you for stopping by.  

I started to feel much better from Dec. 17 wed. I have been living more or less like a normal person.  I feel very lucky being this way during the holiday.

I saw my Pdoc. about a week ago.   We discussed about the result of my genetic test for SSRI. It showed I am more susceptible to adverse reactions with SSRI.  I am very sensitive with SSRI and anti psychotic meds.   

Now my Pdoc strongly recommended me to use Prozac as a bridge to taper off effexor.  First add 5mg of Prozac for a week and see how I feel.  But I am still hesitating since I only had 10 days of windows.  I read the thread of Prozac bridge and some people had good results...   How many days of windows should I have before I go for next step, tapering or bridging?  

2004 Sept paxil 

Now my Pdoc strongly recommended me to use Prozac as a bridge to taper off effexor.  First add 5mg of Prozac for a week and see how I feel.  But I am still hesitating since I only had 10 days of windows.  I read the thread of Prozac bridge and some people had good results...   How many days of windows should I have before I go for next step, tapering or bridging?  

Nothing is certain. I would not bridge. It may work for you or not. The most important thing is that you avoid all unnecessary stress and take a good care of yourself no matter what you end up doing with your meds. There are no shortcuts. Enjoy the ride and learn what is best for You :)

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• Mentor

I knew nothing about WD. I gave up Effexor and a few other things. I did a major crash. In hindsight I would have handled things a lot differently. I went on Zoloft (similar to prozac I believe?). It took 2 years for me to stabilize on this, and a mountain of other drugs....after the huge dive.

And my personal idea on a genetic test, hmmmmmm? the doc just knows it has worked for others, tis all, changing them to a different medication.. Psychs only work by trial and error, I been a guinea pig for most new drugs.

I now realize I was suffering Effexor withdrawals for at least 18 months (while on the zoloft). It was agony, as most others on this site know how it feels. I didn't know all the physical symptoms were the WD, or the emotional ones. Now I know.

Yes I was having other stress and dramas, but I used to handle all those pre AD.

Anyway, if you have chosen the path to take Prozac, best wishes. I would recommend at least 12 months on the prozac, before tapering it. I believe Effexor is the true drug from hell, and better to be on a different one perhaps. I was on effexor for 8 years, changed my personality, lost everything.

Anyhow, this note is for you, hope you feel better, but there is no really easy way, just have to know things DO get better, they have for me.

But who knows what tomorrow will bring? Just love the bit of relief of having a good day.

And I have learnt to treat myself gently, never knew how to care about myself before. If people dont understand, I just say I have had a health scare, and need to take it easy for the next two years, perhaps. Everyone understands that, and most people are extremely kind.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

I knew nothing about WD. I gave up Effexor and a few other things. I did a major crash. In hindsight I would have handled things a lot differently. I went on Zoloft (similar to prozac I believe?). It took 2 years for me to stabilize on this, and a mountain of other drugs....after the huge dive.

And my personal idea on a genetic test, hmmmmmm? the doc just knows it has worked for others, tis all, changing them to a different medication.. Psychs only work by trial and error, I been a guinea pig for most new drugs.

I now realize I was suffering Effexor withdrawals for at least 18 months (while on the zoloft). It was agony, as most others on this site know how it feels. I didn't know all the physical symptoms were the WD, or the emotional ones. Now I know.

Yes I was having other stress and dramas, but I used to handle all those pre AD.

Anyway, if you have chosen the path to take Prozac, best wishes. I would recommend at least 12 months on the prozac, before tapering it. I believe Effexor is the true drug from hell, and better to be on a different one perhaps. I was on effexor for 8 years, changed my personality, lost everything.

Anyhow, this note is for you, hope you feel better, but there is no really easy way, just have to know things DO get better, they have for me.

But who knows what tomorrow will bring? Just love the bit of relief of having a good day.

And I have learnt to treat myself gently, never knew how to care about myself before. If people dont understand, I just say I have had a health scare, and need to take it easy for the next two years, perhaps. Everyone understands that, and most people are extremely kind.

Also I now believe that the Effexor had already "pooped out" as they say, long before I gave it up, just thought I must be suffering so much dramas and stress...

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

I was not feeling well in the past few days.  My withdrawal symptom came back again but my Pdoc, Dr. Ahmad who is recommended here, told me to start the Prozac and see how I feel.  It was a big decision for me but I decided to follow his instruction.  

SSRI was not the right med for me in the first place.  

I am really tired of spending days suffering.  And I am scared.

Wish me luck. 

2004 Sept paxil 

• Administrator

Are you taking 5mg Prozac with 37.5mg Effexor?

Please do not skip doses to taper. I've sent Dr. Ahmad a reminder about this.

Hi Happy New Year Alto!  Thanks for calling Dr. Ahmad.

I am currently taking 34 breads of Effexor (I have been staying 34 beads since Oct. 13) and 5 mg of Prozac everyday since last Monday.  Dr. Ahmad called me just now to make sure I am on this plan.  He told me that "he didn't suggest the second week plan to skip days of Effexor to taper" but that was what I heard when I first saw him and he explained to me as a possible plan.  Maybe it was misunderstanding??  I am going to see him next Monday and we will discuss the dosage of next week.  I told him that I do not want to stay both Effexor and Prozac combination more than 2 weeks.  Then he said we will find the best way to taper Effexor with Prozac in 1-2 weeks from next Monday, that means 2-3 weeks since I started the bridge.    

I am emailing him almost everyday to report my conditions and concerns.  Because I was feeling more restless and more palpitations.  He replies to me immediately.  I was little worried about some of his comments  such as " maybe you are having cold or anxiety" But on the phone he emphasized he does believe I have been suffering from the withdrawal at the same time, my worries can affect my physical as well as vise versa. I felt good after talking to him and now I am determined to go through the bridge plan with optimism.  

The cold weather makes me more home bound and I am missing the life I used to have.   

2004 Sept paxil 

It's been a week since I added Prozac,  I was in a wavy state before and it's been the same.  I could do things but I have to fight with dysphoria and mild flu-like symptoms. I have no appetite.  I used to enjoy eating, cooking, going to the gym, and so on - but now I can't to do those.  It is not depression, it comes from physical incapability.  I am resisting that to lead me to a depression.  I consciously tell myself  "when the window comes, I enjoy things again"  

I am learning that "life is not always about achievement"  Yes Yes ... but It's tough to live with physical discomfort.  I have no family around except my teenage daughter.  

2004 Sept paxil 

I get that.  Totally understandable.  I live with physical discomfort every day as well.  I am always hurting and I have three kids to manage.  It is crazy hard to do when your body hurts and you have leg pain so bad you can barely walk let alone walk the little one to school and do the laundry.  Do what you can and enjoy life when you can.  

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Hi F, You have three small kids!  Must be tough !  

Today is a BAD day for me.  I wish if I could sleep like a normal sick person all day until the window comes...  WD is challenging demanding stuff mentally, physically, socially, and financially.   

Today I want to scream " Help me" 

2004 Sept paxil 

Yesterday, I opened a cap of Effexor to count beads.  And guess what I saw.  THE CAP WAS EMPTY!  OMG

Everyone, please be careful. 

2004 Sept paxil 

How are you doing Zenwind? Are you still on the same mix of 5mg Prozac and 37.5mg of Effexor?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,