Simon: Introduction

simon

Please don't be embarrassed simon. Don't feel pressure to be positive. Just be however you need to be at any given moment. Just get through it in whatever way you need to. Say how you feel. You don't need to edit yourself.

It's going to be okay.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simon

• Altostrata

• JanCarol

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks WT, ive sent you a pm, hope that's ok.

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Simon, I also have very mixed feelings about 'being negative' on my thread.  Many times I have written details about how bad its been and I've had to force myself to press the post button,  a few times I've deleted what I've written and not posted at all.  But other members have said how helpful it is when we post about our bad times along with the good time because it gives validation to how they are feeling too.  Not everyone is able to write about how they are feeling and when someone else can put your feelings into words (for you), it helps you feel less alone, less isolated.  I have used knowing that to help me keep posting on my own thread when I haven't always felt comfortable doing it.

When I was new here, I often found reading other people's descriptions of what they were going through would help me understand my own experience.

I know there seems to be pressure to only be positive and encouraging, but the reality is that withdrawal can take some people to the depths of suffering which are impossible to imagine if you haven't been there yourself, I don't think that should be hidden.  There's nothing to be ashamed about, I think all of us are incredibly courageous and strong to be able to endure what we go through in this recovery process.

I hope you are feeling better after your really bad day.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Yes you make a very valid point Petu, never really thought of it like that.

Actually I do feel ashamed of what happened yesterday although, like you say I have no need to be.

I feel a need to express everything that goes on............and yet.

I will see if I can send you a pm, but I notice that some people don't take them. How do I know before writing one and trying to send it ,if this is the case? There must be a little box somewhere on that page that says yes or no.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

Well the weekend has been one i wish i could forget, because i became so despairing that i nearly went over the edge, a place ive never been before thank God.

I wonder if im becoming obsessive about this whole drug thing, but i cant leave it alone.When the reality of being now on 4 meds and being in a very low place,set in, i couldn't take it.

Its the ups and downs, the windows and waves (although i cant really claim to have got that far yet) that get to me. Not being able to understand how you can have 3 weeks of normality only to be in the depths again almost overnight. Its soul destroying and tearing this family apart with the uncertainty.

Ive just been talking on the phone with someone from the local crisis team, first time ive done that. He spoke quite casually about people getting off meds in weeks, that i must be one who is rather sensitive to the effects of them. Other people he sees are addicted to 40mg of diazepam.,not just 8. I just don't get it. I feel myself almost blaming the drugs when its the underlying problem which may be the cause.

Anyway, he has his job to do and their aim is to support you if need be at home instead of admitting to hospital.

A good friend in London has asked me to chart the last few months on paper; a list of drug, amount, mood, sleep etc. Then she will show this to her Psychiatrist friend and they will look for any pattern that emerges and get back. Ive done that the best i can; it took ages.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Simon

I think the windows/wave pattern is very difficult to work with for those of us that are used to thinking in rational linear ways or who are quite proactive in our lives - we want to understand the cause and effect dynamic at play and do something about it!

I don't think it's that simple. The brain is a complex thing and we have assaulted it with very blunt and non discerning medications that trigger all sort of effects in their presence and absence.

You have had heaps of changes in the last few months alone, going up and going down in dosages across a number of meds. To me your system is screaming out for a break. When I look at your mirtazapine alone you have dropped over 20 percent in under two months, alongside drops in other drugs. That's a lot of change and it comes after significant withdrawal in the middle of the year and accompanying crises.

Sometimes the effects of changes are delayed and when you are making a number if drug changes at the same time it can be very difficult to work out any pattern.

What's your plan from here and would you consider holding for a while?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks for your reply Dalsaan

I do indeed plan to hold things. These doses have come about by pressure from health professionals and caving in under the pain of 'depression', seeking relief, but no being rigid enough in taking one line or the other. Sitting on the fence if you like. I find it so hard to distrust people who are supposed to know what theyre up to.

Pressure from family who are more conformist than  i tend to be; having a very good GP, but one who doesn't know enough about psych drugs.

I kept drawing a line in the sand, then getting new advice, and because i needed the support of these people, being in a vulnerable state, i must have caved in.

That reduction  from 45 to 35 for instance was trying to find a baseline to begin tapering, only having been on the high dose a couple of weeks,(suggested to help sleep) i  just thought to return to the lower dose that id been on for years.

I was going to start from 35mirt, 20 Cit and 600 Lithium, then a new foe, the benzo  reared its head and found I was hooked. Id been attempting to get that down to 5-6 then hold til id started tapering an AD.

Last week i crashed badly after 3 weeks of feeling fine and by the end of that week i very nearly wasn't here.

More or less decided to hold the diazepam at 8mg on advice from the benzo forum. But i can tell you, i didn't want to be in the place i am now.

I don't know how some of you guys have the resolve; i so admire it. I wonder if I really can muster that up myself or if i will take the 'easy' way out again!

But thanks for your advice.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry that you have been feeling so down Simon. I agree with Dalsaan, you've made a lot of changes 

and your poor brain needs a rest.  Last year I was at rock bottom with withdrawal and suicidal. I was here 

and it was the people here who helped me through. I still get those feelings when a wave hits but now I

understand what it is and can manage to distract myself and 'change the channel' http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/846-change-the-channel-dealing-with-cognitive-symptoms/  . 

Be kind to yourself Simon, you will have windows and waves along this journey, and when a window opens 

you will be so glad that you got through that wave. Enjoy the windows when they are open, and let the memory of them

carry you though the waves.  It is such a shame that the benzo complicated things for you, and I think you are right to

hold that now while you concentrate on the others.  doctors and psychiatrists sadly haven't a clue about the horrors

of these drugs, and usually say that withdrawal is actually a relapse of the original illness so they bump up or change 

the medication for something equally damaging.  They are educated by the drug reps so there is no wonder they haven't a clue! 

Most of us here have ended up just going along with doctors just to get the prescriptions then tapering ourselves. 

My doctor told me to taper every other day then come off after 2 weeks. I tried that several times over the years and they said

I needed it for life because every time I tried to get off I became ill again, hmmmmm, we all know why that was!  

In the end I didn't tell him and just tapered myself. 

Don't be afraid to write how you are feeling here, it is what your intro is for, it is your journal.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yeah, thanks for that mammaP

Don't you find though that in a wave its hard to remember a window. Its like youre 2 different people and that from one its hard to peer out to the other?

I don't really feel i can call it by these terms;, I think its instability of recent times and changes in drugs and probably the after effects of coming down from diazepam. Think the high points must have been diazepam induced.

But it can wreak havoc in a household, esp when spouse has been devoted and hopeful for months of things improving;then comes the up, then down again and the recriminations that ive been changing drugs and ignoring professional advice. She has no time for the notion that a drug could be causing a problem.

Actually , this evening ive been writing out a resume of what this forum stands for,as i have a friend in London who works in mental health and im interested that up there they have some quite forward thinking ideas. They employ people for example who have had ' depression' and one of the psychiatrists is  i think on 3 types of medication. I don't think that could happen down here in the sticks yet. But if these people are, themselves on the drugs it must make a vast difference to their attitude.

Time to hit the sack.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't you find though that in a wave its hard to remember a window. Its like youre 2 different people and that from one its hard to peer out to the other?

Yes, definitely, I'm the same way. But one of the benefits of having an update topic here is you can document everything you go through, including the windows, the better times, then when you get hit by a wave, you can read back through your topic and it reminds you, there's no doubt because you are reading your own words.  This has helped me many times, its unbelievable how our memories of better times get completely blocked out by waves.  I'm actually in the process of reading back through my own thread right now, I'm amazed at how much I have forgotten.

Recovery Road website has a good section for family members of people going through withdrawal, it has easy to understand information about what's happening and advice about how to be supportive, perhaps its would be something your wife could look at:

http://recovery-road.org/for-family-carers/

I also think that a long hold is in order, and I'm happy to see that you agree.  Perhaps you could find a good counselor to talk to, someone from church or local support networks.

I'm so glad you are still with us

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Yes, Petu, that's a very good point to look back over 'windows' I must do that. The mind really does play tricks.

(just had a look at that 'recovery road' site, I realise that ive seen it before and I like the advice.)  In my case, talk of withdrawal though would be met by a blank wall at the moment, as my spouse wants me back where I was before I started messing about with medication changes. you just want to see your partner or loved one stable and functional and anger can flare up when you see them upsetting what seemed to be a balanced state (in my case a few months ago)

Its terribly hard for someone who has supported me to see these ups and downs, to have to pick up the pieces over the years, the sheer instability of it all.I can see how things end up in break-up. She has been an absolute rock over the years and has had to put things on hold, to take care of me. It looks like this time, unless I do things in a conventional way,then help is not going to be so available.

If only this method was the orthodox way!

Cant seem to get that 8mg of diazepam out of my mind. I think I get obsessed about it. Probably very angry deep down.It feels like a poison to me now, and yet I have to take it.I blame myself for getting into it when all the sensible advice was to steer clear. I sometimes think that I don't have the resolve of many on this site to simply sit with the anxiety and wait things out. I took the short cut, the easy option for getting relief and now have to cope with the consequences. That's what almost pushed me over the top last Friday.

Anyway, that's all I can do now,wait and see.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Simon

I don' think you should beat yourself up for trying to feel better.  I reinstated a small amount of my AD 2 weeks ago when I had been off it for 5 months.  I have really been beating myself up for that, but others have told me that it is just taking care of yourself not a step back.  You need to make sure that you can live your life and function the best you can WHILE you are going through WD.  It is a hard road but you will get there.  Be kind to yourself and bless you.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Thankyou for your reply, F,

yes im sure I will get the hang of this all eventually. Very easy to think you've grasped it when things are going well. When the crash comes it really does shake me. It is a hard road like you say and im at a very early stage on it.

Hope your quest continues to bear fruit.

Thanks again

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Be gentle with yourself Simon.  If you have to updose, then do it.  Beating yourself up for it won't help.  "Ruminating" as Jon Kabat Zinn would say, will only increase the depression.  Let go, be gentle.  You deserve to be okay, and to be okay with being okay.

I recognize that you think diazepam is a poison.  Likely it is, but it is less toxic than the antidepressants.  I'm not saying it's not evil, it's just a lesser one!  Don't even go there yet!  Stable, stable, stabilize first.

In an ideal world, you could do your tapers slowly enough that the waves become bumps.  And you can control them by choosing to hold.  

I hope you can find a stable place from which to hope.  

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Ive brought the conversation back into my thread to hopefully broaden out what ive been talking to a few members about.

That is , that I came under enormous pressure from my GP yesterday to accept conventional advice and change my 20mg Citalopram for 75mg venlafaxine. then150mg after a week. At once iin one fell swoop, no tapering.

I know its against all ive come to accept about these drugs on this site and im gutted to say the least.

I feel I know what the advice here is going to be.

I took 37.5 yesterday and 75 today, and no Cit today.

When I looked up the' official' advice it implies that SSRIs can be switched 'safely', at once, but not Prozac and the MOAIs. What should I expect now?Is this the equivalent of CT?

Has anyone done this?

I know its completely against the ethos of this site. Just wondered how safe Ill be.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Simon

You've read a lot here about people's experiences. Stability and careful tapering are the key ideas here.

Unfortunately no one can say what will happen with that kind of change, particularly on top of all the other changes you've already made. Only time will tell. It's best not to catastrophise in advance otherwise that can become a self fulfilling prophesy.

I wish you the best

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks for your reply Dalsaan.

This solution is neither stable nor careful tapering I realize that.

I just feel so exhausted by the whole business now.Im in a corner, back to the wall.

I feel extremely drugged up , very slow mentally, in a fog, and 'wired'. only getting a few hours sleep a night.

We'll see what happens.

I cant expect to get advice from this site on the above, as its outside the remit. Who knows, I may give up taking the advice of my GP.

Simon

I'd really like to stay as part of this forum but feel the position ive got into goes against everything ive learned here. I'm so confused over what ive done in taking on a new med and im still not sure if im going to stay on it (its only been 2 days so far)

Nothing is forcing me, but unless I do something about this low mood in the short term, I don't know how I will get through, after getting so near the edge last week.

I feel part of this place and at home here, but im in an awfull dilemma.

Simon

You're just doing the best you can in a very difficult situation. I hope this change will work for you.

You need the support so keep posting here. We are here to support you.

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

Please don't leave!  We can still be a support to you, Winning Through is right.  If you feel in a dilemma then you need to be here to get help to figure it all out.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

thankyou for you kind support WT and Frustrated.

If only there were some of you guys here in the flesh to talk sense into me.

Half of me wishes id never learned the truth about these drugs at times. But the mental turmoil has become so great that ive done the only thing I know.

I also wonder if ive just been on the stuff too long now to be able to do much about it. When I think how long it would take to even get to low doses.

I only pray that is not the truth.

I so much admire the resolve and courage  I see on this forum, its quite awesome.

Thanks again.

Simon

Hello Simon,

Just wanted to wish you a happy new year!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd really like to stay as part of this forum but feel the position ive got into goes against everything ive learned here. I'm so confused over what ive done in taking on a new med and im still not sure if im going to stay on it (its only been 2 days so far)

Nothing is forcing me, but unless I do something about this low mood in the short term, I don't know how I will get through, after getting so near the edge last week.

I feel part of this place and at home here, but im in an awfull dilemma.

Simon

Simon, we don't have an agenda that anyone has to follow to be accepted or supported here; it's just that we can't really help people who don't take our advice. Help in a concrete "how do I get better" way, that is. But you are completely welcome to be here.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

That's very kind of you, T, and the same to you too.

I want to express to anyone who's been following my thread that ive been feeling dreadful, suicidal actually over the Xmas period because not only did my visits to medical people get me hooked on a benzo, but also a change of drug. I just don't want to be in this situation. It s as if I cant take responsibility for my own life, im still in a mindset of trusting professionals, especially when im brought to my knees by anxiety and depression.

So ive in effect been CT'd of Citalopram onto Venlafaxine and im wandering if I should just go back to what I was on. (as a matter of interest, after 5-6 days on this regime, would it make any odds? I know its not stability, I know its not safe and  I know its not simple- all the mantras), but say I returned, now to the old drug? Everyone seems to think that Ven is a killer. Could it be better the devil you know?

Simon

Thanks Rhi, you must have been writing as I was writing the above.

Thanks for making that clear

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Simon, overall it's best to pick one source of advice and stay with it rather than switching back and forth. Especially in this case where your sources (the GP, and us) contradict each other.  We can't be giving you advice on what to do if you're working with someone else and switching back and forth between our advice and theirs.

If you read back through your thread you will see the advice you have been given. Nothing has changed. It's up to you to decide what path you are going to follow.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL I overlapped you again!

My heart goes out to you, it's a tough situation, under pressure from family, and suffering.

Sorry your feeling bad. I understand feeling that you cannot take responsibility for your own life. But, being in the care of psychiatrists and doctors for a long time, I think this is one of the effects of this so called care - not being able to trust yourself.

Hope you feel better.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thankyou Joannad and Rhi

I guess im asking questions that only I can answer.

I have an appointment in the morning with my GP, he will again point me to his screen on which the psychs report will have said, Pregabolin, Double up Citalopram, Take 12mg diazepam, or Venlafaxine. At least I get a big choice. A Psych up in London (via a friend) would have suggested just Lithium and get rid or the rest. So theres nothing consistent amongst these professionals.

I just think mine is coming across with the opinion that whatever I take, its a last ditch attempt anyway, so what the hell.

I'm starting to get cynical !

Simon

Hi Simon

Just read your recent posts and am so sorry you have been suffering so much lately. As you know I am new to all of this  so cannot offer advice from experiences like the experts on here can. I do understand though that it is awful when you so want to be well but can't put your faith in Dr's to help you.  This very thing led me to this site!

I would love to hear how you got on at the Dr's this morning - I am thinking of you and hope that you find some peace soon whichever way you decide to go.

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

I'm writing this as much for my own benefit as anything else.

I went to see my GP this morning, having spoken to him on the phone on the 24th after a suicide attempt.

The points I made to him I had written down were something like this (he kept the notes I had made)

1 My suicide attempt was a response to getting caught on yet another drug (no 4, diazepam)

2 Loss of confidence in Psychiatry. The 'choices' I had been given during my 2 consultations with the psych over the last 2 months had been,a) pregabolin ,b)double up Cit c) take 12mg diazepam as that had helped a few weeks prior, d) replace Cit with Venlafaxine, e) begin a taper of Lithium.nb. not all at the same time.

3 The need for stability

4 Side effects of being polydrugged over the last 7 years have led to serious emotional and cognitive decline.

5 Belief that drugs can cause the problems

6 No evidence for chemical imbalance-that its the SSRIs that create the chemical imbalance and eventually have no positive effect.

7 Before SSRIs came on the market the average 'depressed person' would get over their problems over several months and 80% would never have another occurrence.

8 Now,most depression becomes chronic and  life-long.

9 CEPUK  The Myth of the Chemical Cure, by Joanna Moncrieif ( thankyou to Jan Carol for suggesting that one)

I am lucky to have this GP. He is devoted, caring compassionate.

I genuinely believe him when he said he went along with all I said, apart from a little query on the chemical imbalance.

That hes not just saying that because of the dire state ive been in. He attempts to use every other method before the drug one.

That hes totally behind my desire and need to get off this polydrugging.

That as soon as my mood shows signs of improving he will back every effort to come off drugs such that im down to one.

His only proviso is that I take venlafaxine until it lifts my mood sufficiently to begin that work with me.

That he will talk to me any time, hes not in an ivory tower, that's he was genuinely upset about my drastic action.

He wants me to have a CPN to talk to from time to time( community psychiatric nurse)

Ive got to have this guy on my side. He is open to new thinking, He knows how much I delve into any medical matter I may have, the need on my part to understand any treatment I am being given and is right behind that.

So im going to continue with the Ven. because I owe it to my family to stay alive. Im doing it as a means to an end in a desperate situation. I hate the drugs as much as any of you, but in my situation its the better of two evils. I don't know what effect it will have on me, I cant tell. We shall see. Its a means to an end and not an end in itself.

Thanks for letting me get this down. I know I cant expect support on the drug side of things here, but ive had tremendous support thus far by so many of you here and I don't want to lose it.

Simon

ps ~Thankyou Flowers for your kind post.

Hi Simon. I'm so very, very sorry you are feeling so bad and going through this. You will come through this.

It can be very hard to know what to do when you are feeling trapped and confused and feeling so bad that you just feel the need do do something, anything, to make it all go away.

Time is the key and as you slowly titrate off the drugs and get stable things will be better.

Take care.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow SImon, what a great presentation you made to your Doc!  So - he still is programmed to believe in "chemical imbalance?"  Oh my.

but listen - I know you are on a lot of drugs - but I know people who are on more.  Everybody's different.  I can't tell you what is right for you, only you can.  And if staying on the Venlafaxine keeps you stable - then hurrah!  You are ready to begin!  

I have 2 friends who are on at least 5 medicines, with at least 50% of those being neuroleptics.  One of them is going back to Uni for a masters, and the other ran 10 marathons this year - 3 of those were ultra marathons.  So yes, the drugs are wicked - but that's not the only answer.  You think you are snowed under the drugs, but you also see there is a path to better manage your symptoms.  I think you've taken an important step toward stability.

So good on ya!  You've picked a course of action, now stick to it until you feel well enough to make your next choice!  

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

yes thanks WT, I sent you a pm

Simon

Thanks Jan for your support and wisdom.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

So - it's been a few days since you switched meds to the venlafaxine - so - how is it going?  (silly season and all)

Take care, Jan