Simon: Introduction

simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh that's nice!  One drug.  Which one?  The one he wants to keep is likely the antidepressant which by my guesses (and SA in general) would be the one causing the problem.  So yes, there is a bit of a conflict there.  IF IT WERE ME, I would come of the antidepressant first, using enzymes to supplement and try and stay away from your deep depressions.  Then the benzo.  Then the lithium.  THEN, if after a couple of YEARS (yes, I said years) you still can't get out of the funk, look at an alternative means to boost your depression and stay away from the antidpressant until absolute last resort.

Some polydrug people stagger their tapers:  Come off the antidepressant some, then wait, stabilize, and come off some benzo some, wait, stabilize, etc.  And again, I tell you your "polydrug" is a mild one - you have no neuroleptics in the mix, I know many people walking around on 5-7 drugs.  I have a 5 year old nephew on neuroleptics!  So it could be worse!

It's likely too late to go for that "clean slate," and it's my guess that you wouldn't know what that clean slate is like until you've been off ALL the chemicals for at least a year, maybe 2.

I hope you don't find that view horribly discouraging.  And you are not the only one on SA who has had to updose for stability.  Or re-dose, as is your case.  I think that it's brave of you to stay in here and try to learn in order to optimize and try and take charge of your mind and condition to move forward.  As we say downunder:  ONYA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simon

• Altostrata

• JanCarol

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everything goes smoothly with your transition to Effexor.  I know how hard it is to make a decision to change and/or add medications when our goal is to be off of medication.  Don't worry about the future, just focus on feeling better and the tapering will happen down the road.  

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

My best wishes to you.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thankyou  for your posts Jan, WR and Joanna

Preaching to the converted I know but browsing Joanna Moncrieffs website I came across a link to this person,( Julie leonovs open letter re.) if you put that into google youll be able to read it. Its a reply to a radio prog. in which a psych who takes ADs and is in praise of them is questioned by Julie Leovovs and she makes a lot of interesting points I thought, mainly about the chemical cure myth. (that's why I said its like preaching to the converted!)

Actually I do like Moncrieffs lecture to a conference in New England, especially  when shes talking about the 'Drug model' and the Disease model' or psych drugs. She makes the very simple but succinct point that in the former, an AD can be compared to drinking alcohol to get over social anxiety, ie it creates an altered state in which one effect is a loss of inhibition. But you don't then go on to make the claim that you needed the alcohol because of a perceived lack of it in your body!

The disease model on the other hand is the 'insulin for diabetes' argument. She points out that the drug model was always the accepted way of looking at psych drugs in their early days and then were hijacked by the disease model over the last few decades by the drug companies. They created a 'disease' for the sake of selling their drugs.

Another good example I thought was to explain how some anti-psychotic drugs do not actually put anything right, but the doping effect makes the person less interested in the delusion they may be having or the voices they are hearing.(and less interested in everything else as well.)

I find it quite useful to hold onto that phrase 'altered state' in relation to ADs, as it fits in with Breggins 'spellbinding' ie you may not be aware of the state, while you are in it. (same with alcohol too I guess)

So I see them as creating an altered state; that's why its hard to know whats you and whats the drug.

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

• Moderator Emeritus

AWESOME article Simon!  (and you must be feeling better to read it!)

I was deeply moved by a comment below the article by someone named AgniYoga:

AgniYoga on 

April 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm said:

How much ignorance is feigned I do not know, but I suspect many psychiatrists realize they are phonies and that they are really no different from the witchdoctors their ancestor laughed about. Still there are bills to pay and miles in an expensive car to go. Without the drugs many of these men and women would be out of a job. So there you are.

In my opinion depression and mental illness in general are a matter of two things: identification and agency. If I do not know who I am how can I claim to be the negative emotions I experience? If I drive through a dark and dismal slum I do not immediately conclude I am a dark and dismal slum. Why not? If I see a cat, I do not conclude I am a cat. Again why not? When I perceive a negative emotion and a negative thought why must I conclude that is me? So the important thing is to get a self certifying answer to the question, who am I.

Secondly, who is the doer? Can anyone give a certain answer to that one? Clearly when a loud unexpected sound goes off nearby, and I jump, my agency is not apparent at all. At what stage do I become the genuine doer? The German philosopher Schopenhauer gave this answer regarding our actions: Doing comes from essence. That was a medieval answer to the question. Thus the thoughts and emotions that come into my mind are in some sense a reflection of who I am as a unique person. I have not simply been thrown into the environment. But almost all of the time thoughts and impulses simply arrive unannounced are acting upon or not. It is with great difficult that anyone can make any sense out of the notion of free will other than the legal definition–involving sanity and not being coerced at the time.

Depression is often a long journey through the subconscious slums like a journalist living for months or years in a war torn country. Destroyed edifices, smoke, hungry people, wounded and dead, torn trees and cloudy skies and the sounds of gun fire and motar shells.

OMG!  Why is it that we thing we ARE the depression, instead of a tourist in depression land?  This fits with a lot of meditation and work I have done that really drives home the role of trauma, scenery, environment, and identification with (or liberation from) that scenery.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Simon, still hanging?  Here's thinking of you, hoping you are keeping warm!

yes, still hanging; not literally though as the suicidal 'ideation' has gone thank goodness. Saw my GP today who thinks itll be good to wait a while yet before proceeding with anything else, reduction-wise. Although I am gradually coming down off the benzo at 10% and that's going well, will halt that at about 3mg (6.5 at present) I gave him several downloads from this site which he gladly took on, mainly the stuff about withdrawal syndrome from Alto and a post from Rhi about 'growing a new brain' which I find very useful myself.

So I will just wait in the wings for the time being and look forward to the time being right to start to taper off this stuff. A good benchmark of my own progress is that im able to read again which means concentration is good and distraction, so less rumination. So it might also mean that I can get back into some more effective meditation, without the over-distraction of unwanted thoughts.

Hope your hand is healing up!

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

So glad you are feeling better, Simon!  

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

So glad to read  that you are in a better place now Simon. I am like you, just waiting to settle down  on the updose of Cit and to feel better  before starting a slow taper. I can cope with most of it except for the dark thoughts I was having but am pleased to say that although they are never far away for 2 weeks they haven't reared their ugly heads! I saw a psychiatrist last week for the first time. Thankfully, I had found this site so was forarmed and forwarned! He was a really nice youngish man from South America (no wonder I couldn't understand his spanish!) and was quite happy with my request to  not  give me anymore meds although he did suggest one that I will not be taking! He even advised me to do walking, yoga and pilates and agreed to support me with a slow taper in the future. I found the whole thing terrifying as I am not in my home country so a bit out of my comfort zone.   I  was relieved by his attitude. Sometimes people can take you by surprise and I think you are lucky in this way with your GP.

It's good that you are getting back concentration and I hope you can soon start meditating again as you mentioned it has helped you in the past. I just cannot quite 'switch off' enough to contemplate that so am starting yoga and stretching classes once I get over this rotten cold. If you have any relaxation tips please pass them on!

I couldn't read or watch TV or even talk to anyone a few weeks ago - now most days I can  and it is so nice to get distracted from how I am feeling for a little while.

Hope things continue to improve for you - there is a whole world out there waiting for us when we are better and drug free. And we will be - I know it!!

Best Wishes

Flowers

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Moderator Emeritus

That's good news, Simon, about being able to read, and getting that info to your GP.  I remember when I took "Anatomy of an Epidemic" to my psychologist and my psychiatrist.  And I was SO IMPRESSED that they actually read it.  The psychiatrist poo poo'd it as "meta studies" but the psychologist then went to hear him speak when he came to town, and has since become my greatest ally.  It is she who files the "Jan is doing well" reports that cause my psychiatrist to relax a bit, and not be so paranoid about my long, slow, taper.

So I will be curious to see what and how much your GP takes on board.  Knowing as I do, that doctors are busy people - well.  That they "skim" anything I give them is met with respect.  So I'm curious to hear what the GP picks up as "most important" or, rather, "most important for Simon," in this case.

I reckon you shouldn't even think about a taper (stop thinking about it!) until you've been stable at least 3, or maybe even 6 months!  I know, I know, it slows down the process - but I heard a story about a zen master today (it was on the Will Hall video you posted earlier):

A student comes to the master and says, "How long until I reach enlightenment?"  "Ah," said the master, "5 years."  The student earnestly asks, "But if I work really really hard, and earnestly, and strive really hard, how long, then, will it take to reach enlightenment?"  "Ah," said the master, "20 years.!"

Taper is like that, neuroplasticity is like that - you can't rush the blooming of a flower, nor can you make your brain heal any faster.

I always have hopes that anyone can come completely off the drugs.  But I cannot judge what is in your own brain and mind.  Take this time to research, learn about magnesium and fish oil, sleep hygiene, put all your meditation and exercise and support into place, THEN, when you've been able to relax a bit, and BE, THEN you might start thinking about tapers.  

So yes, sadly, I'm suggesting you stay on the drugs until further notice.

Good to hear from you!

That sounds like excellent advice Jan and I will take it on board. yes I am impatient especially when I notice I am now in my late 50s! But that's just tough really. On the other hand I may have another 20 years ahead, so its worth going for.

I see it as a challenge for the future and I think the wait of several months (same as my GP suggested) is sensible. Maybe this time round I will have the courage of my convictions  and be able to take the pain of possible WDs. I know that if I took any more advice from a psych, then it would be a rapid taper again and 'told you so' response.

Yes there are many things to put in place and keep in place in the meantime, lots of therapies that need to be strong, that will eventually replace the drugs.

Anyway im keeping fit too with walks along the coast with dog. Theres a drama on ITV at present set on the part of the coast that is my favourite spot, so that's quite interesting. Over here we get lots of Scandinavian police dramas many of which are quite good, Wallender and The Killing, and I notice that this British one has taken on board aspects that make them popular, mainly the use of music and the grim looks on peoples faces.

Actually the dog let me down the other day by running onto the beach where a little girl had just built a sandcastle and propped a bucket on top. I suddenly heard the mother yell 'Whose is that bloody dog?' only to  see that she had peed directly into the bucket. Maybe she thought it rude to pee directly onto the sand. Quite comical. I had to wash the bucket out for her.

Anyway im making a big batch of marmalade with the Seville oranges that appear in the shops at this time of year, so the house is smelling quite sweet at the  moment.

Im glad your  medic people took an interest in Whittaker to the point of seeing him speak. I remember not long ago being scared to read that book; it felt like  I was letting myself in for a beating. Like,'why didn't I read this stuff 20 years ago!' Sometimes the truth is very painful. I feel sure that the next generation will be scared off these meds.and be far more aware of the alternatives. We are the poor guinea pigs.But I guess it was always that way really. One generation has to try out the stuff and learn from it. I certainly hope that will be the case for our two daughters ,both of whom take a small dose of ADs. There are lots of alternatives around.

Best wishes

Simon

My computer hasn't been connecting to the internet for the last couple of days, hence not making any replies. Many thanks Joannad, F and Jan.

Yes my GP does seem genuinely determined to eventually bring down this drug burden to one. At least at that point I may be able to take a breath of fresh air.,and take stock.

But stability is the name of the game now. Ive just gone onto150 Ven (feels like heresy saying that on this site.) Doesn't actually feel very different at present,except that I managed to watch most of a film on TV last night, so I guess my concentration is being affected just a tiny bit. I thought I was feeling very 'wired', yesterday (1st day on the full dose) and that I was in for a sleepless night. But I got a full night in thankfully. Cant concentrate enough to read though , so the days are very long and monotonous at present!

My thinking is very shallow and I get feelings of panic when I cant recall often the simplest thing (things I know that I know). it all feels so permanent, like brain damage but guess ive been here before and got out of it.

Still got 'suicidal ideation' as the psychs would say, that's to say a sort of crazy bottom line, that if things get so bad..... many of you will know what I mean.

Family-wise, unless I can come to some more permanent feeling of healing I don't think we can go on living together. When I am like this I put far to much pressure on spouse and its not fair. We go round in circles about causes and cures and it doesn't get anywhere in the end. The truth probably lies somewhere in between on the one hand ,blaming the drugs and on the other, needing the drugs because of some kind of deficiency.

I can say with certainty though, that over the last 7 years on this cocktail my mental powers have diminished alarmingly. This in turn effects my self image, confidence, social relations, and work. Whats weird though, is that during those 7 years I tend to be in denial about whats happening in these areas, not admitting to myself that things are going downhill. I sort of choose to ignore it, to pretend that all is well when it isn't. (I understand what Breggin means by 'spell binding'.

Im glad Joannad that you have your GP on board and I know what you mean by the slight unease at sensing the lack of knowledge from the 'professional'. I sensed this from the psych I saw, who in effect came up with about 4 solutions during 2 consultations. Its a change of attitude rather than necessarily a change of science I think. But im sure there are exceptions to the rule. My daughter was telling me that her doctor shows patients how to make liquid solutions, and provide syringes for doing gradual tapers off drugs.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Hi Simon, I hope you are doing better today. As far as your weakened cognitive abilities go, I just don't see it the way you so clearly and eloquently express yourself in the written word. The drugs you are on are telling your brain it is far more dysfunctional than it really is. Trust me. Your mind is playing tricks on you. Your brain and its healthy state shines through, in spite of the drugs. Keep moving forward s-l-o-w-l-y one foot in front of the other. You are doing great!

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Thankyou so much Pugknows; that's really encouraging of you to reply and to be so positive!

Yes im in a better place now than the day I wrote the above thanks and the word is , as you reiterate, 'slowly'! Not  a word that's been too much part of my vocabulary, but worth getting used to. Yes, you're right, the drugs do cause one to have doubts about abilities, strengths and weaknesses.

Hope you are doing well yourself. I will check out your posts.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL why didn't we read "that stuff" (like Whitaker) 20 years ago?  Well, it hadn't been written!  Why did we get to be the generation of guinea pigs to test out this "biochemical imbalance" theory of psychopharmacology?  Well, at least we didn't have to hang garlic around our neck to ward off the plague!  There have been mistakes throughout the generations, and this one is our generations major medical "whoops."  

The hardest part, is that the medicos don't see it yet, or only a very few of them do!  It's gonna take us to educate them.  "That is not my experience" when a fast taper is suggested.  And I've thought about my psych, who was kind enough to taper - it felt slow at the time, but was fast by SA standards - but it was still CAREFUL.  (this was venlafaxine, which is why I've been thinking about it so much!)

I'm glad you're feeling more present, and making marmalade - that sounds MARVELLOUS!  When I moved Downunder, I thought that the citrus would be excellent, like the best of California and Florida and Spain combined.  I was surprised to find it was "just citrus" kind of rough and ready, and not very pleasant to eat.  Making jam, however - that's AMBITIOUS!  Well done!

Laughed at the dog peeing into the bucket..he maybe thought it was there just for him.

It sounds like your doing well..making marmalade that is quite a feat in withdrawal..well done and glad to hear your doing well.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Just dropping by to say hi, Simon. I'm glad you feel a bit better.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Simon, here's a thing:

Thing guy struggled terribly I think.

• Moderator Emeritus

I found him (Foster) wordy, too much verbiage - but I liked his premise, and think he would appeal to some.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Simon - been thinking about you, wondering how you're going in your journey?

Still doing the Tai Chi?  Walking the dog?  Making marmalade?  Okay the latter is unlikely as a good batch of marmalade will last for months!

But just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you, and hope you are faring well.