☼ Fuzzylogic checking in tapering pristiq

Fuzzylogic

Hi All

Am I glad I came across this site. After nearly 2 years on pristiq I want off as I have found that my sex drive is zero, my brain seems to have dulled and I am struggling to think of the right words.

Under advise from my doctor and confirmed by the pharmacist I started skipping a tablet every second day. As I have now read - big mistake. I have now decide d to cut the tablets, still trying to get that right so can ensure a more even dosage and taking every day. Taking about 75%

When skipping I was tired, irritable, had stomach cramps, was naseous and my ears were ringing.

Cutting has helped with the nausea although I seem to have lost my appetite and now have a horrid taste in my mouth. The ringing in my ears is worse and I feel like they are constantly blocked. I am still moody and don't want to be 'crowded' by my kids.

From what I have read I think have tapered too quickly. Will it help to increase the dose slightly? In other words will the side effects I'm currently experiencing lessen?

Thanks

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fuzzylogic, welcome to SA.  Pristiq is one of the hardest drugs to taper because it is only available in

slow release tablets. Crushing and cutting them removes the slow release so you are getting the full hit of

the drug!  Many people do taper successfully though, it tales patience but can be done. 

Here is the topic for tapering pristiq, read the entire thread because people have shared how they manage to

cut the tablets.  Some people switch to effexor which is a sister drug and comes in capsules with beads that

can be counted. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

I can relate to how you feel taking it, I have been taking venlafaxine for 12 years aand tapering for 2 years. 

I started to feel better after starting to taper, and felt better after each drop. Sadly I was impatient and went too fast,

even though I thought it was slow, and had to reinstate and hold for a long time. 

We recommend a slow taper of 10% of the current dose, with at least 4 weeks between cuts. 

I would hold your dose at 75 for a good few weeks to give your body chance to stabilise before making another cut. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks mamaP.

I have read the thread, may need to read a few times to get my head around it all.

The constant noise in my ears is driving me nuts, but I will persevere.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Hi fuzzylogic and welcome!

I successfully weaned off Pristiq over about 15months by cutting it up and have been off it completely for over 5 months. I had some similar side effects to you and I can definitely relate to being unable to find the right words, tinnitus (intermittent for me),moodiness and not wanting to be "crowded". 

I'm just wondering if you are taking the whole 75 mg in the morning? Oops hang on, i have just re read your signature and it says you were only ever on 25mg and therefore only on half a tablet to start with?

I was only ever on 50mg so when I weaned and cut the tablets up I would take a half tablet in the morning and then a 1/4 tablet around 4pm.I found that by taking the larger dose in the morning and then the smaller dose in the afternoon worked well for me and helped to minimise dose dumping and aided in keeping a more steady amount of the drug in my system over the day.

I give detail to my tapering schedule in both my introduction and my success story but I dont know how to give you the link ..sorry.....but igive a brief explaination in my signature.....anyway, all the best with your taper and I will be watching your progress and quietly cheering for you. 

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free
  • Moderator Emeritus

I give detail to my tapering schedule in both my introduction and my success story but I dont know how to give you the link ..

Here is the link to mogfish's success story:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6695-mogfish-successful-taper-directly-off-pristiq-using-cutting-up-method/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petu :)

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

Hi Mogfish

Congratulations on your successful withdrawal.

Thanks for your reply and pointing out my mistake of 25mg. Have now changed it to 50mg in my signature. Blame it on the withdrawal :) I was taking 3/4 at once but changed that today! Now taking 1/2 in the morning and 1/4 in the evening. I am hoping that will help.

Ordered a digital scale today so that I can take more accurate doses. I will read through your full post tomorrow when I'm feeling a bit fresher. Found I have become a bit obsessed with searching up info :)

This morning I decided that I needed to get a hold of myself and stop complaining about how I feel (except to document in my wi/d notes). It made a difference. Also keeping busy seems to help keep the symptoms at bay. I will get off these tablets now matter how long it takes, I'm only 2 weeks in. I have read that messing with the dose does not help and I have done the twice, first time because I followed advise of dr and skipped, second to try and relieve the symptoms.

Now to get some energy back. I'll keep you posted!

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Scale arrived today. Hope this will help me with more accurate doses.

Going to hold on 1/2 in the am and 1/4 in pm until I settle, maybe 2 months. Hoping the constant buzzing will ease soon. See my dr on Mon not sure that my decision to cut is going to go down well.

Second day of making a concerted effort to stay positive. It does help as does being out in the fresh air.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Don't be surprised if your Dr is unsupportive of your decision fuzzy. They may also look at you in a patronising way when you tell how slow you are going to taper but stick to your guns and listen to your body. Your body will tell you what it wants and needs. My Dr was pretty unsupportive of me but i knew in my heart i was doing what i needed to do. For me, coming off pristiq was the best thing I ever did for myself and although at times it wasn't easy, now that I am several months pristiq free I am feeling the best I have felt for years and years. 

your nervous system may be a little destabilised from the dose skipping but hopefully it will settle for you soon and that horrible buzzing will pass. Coming into the warmer months and a bit of sunshine will hopefully help too. 

I will keep an eye out for you and offer support and encouragement as needed as I don't know of many others that have tapered directly from Pristiq but please be reassured that cutting up the pills was a successful method for me so i hope it is for you also :)

*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning

Thanks for the encouragement Mogfish. I look forward to the day I can tell you that Intoo am pristiq free.

After the withdrawal symptoms I had from skipping there is no way I'm going to be swayed to go back to that. My dr doesn't see the need for me to come off, so not sure what to expect, but I need to get my life back!

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Not had a good day. Taking a lot of willpower to keep going with this taper. I know it's a means to an end. Not helped by the fact that my better half has been away for a week and only home next week. Add one teen and one near teen into the mix and I wonder why I'm struggling.

What happened to being positive? Will get back on track just need to let off steam.

On physical side ears stil buzzing. Nausea set in earlier, first time since I started cutting might be because I was a bit late taking my quarter tablet (was asleep). Did manage a 6 km walk so not all bad :)

Thanks for 'listening'

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Hang in there Fuzzy, a teen and a tween and a husband away would get the better of most of us and sometimes you might feel a little worse before you get better but it WILL get better!!! :))

*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning

Greatful for my 14 yo. Talked me through a panic attack. I hate what this drug is doing to me.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

I really need to learn to spell - is there a way to edit my posts?

Still feeling jittery after my panic attack, was hoping my body would have settled a bit. I don't think I can go through constant withdrawal symptoms. Thought the idea of tapering was to minimise this. If I feel like this on a taper I would hate to know how I would feel if I went cold turkey as advised by the woman I spoke to at Pfizer.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fuzzy,

I think you have about an hour to go back and edit your post if you have made a mistake, it might be 30 minutes, but you do get some editing time right after posting.

You have only very recently reinstated a regular dose, its going to take some time before you stabilize.

After reinstatement, the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.

Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

See
About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu.

I will hang in there - I have had a MUCH better day today, still a slight buzz, but my mood has been a lot better.

The dr still wants me to taper quicker, but ok with me cutting the tablets, so that's a plus. I'm still going to do this at my own pace. It's taken my system a long time to recover from the initial dose skipping and I don't want a repeat of that.

Hubby home tomorrow so will help a lot.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Hi Fuzzylogic, I hope you are travelling well.  How are the withdrawal symptoms going?

1999 Citalopram 20mg 2000 Came off Citalopram 2002 Citalopram 20mg 2003 Came off Citalopram 2007 Citalopram 20mg 2008 Pristiq 50mg 2009 Pristiq 100mg 2014 Pristiq 50mg 19 September 2014 Switch to Effexor 75mg 2019 Effexor and 40mg Endep. 3/1/2021 started a 10% taper with the Effexor .

Hi Seb

It has been up and down. The nausea and stomach cramps I had when skipping have gone, but the buzz in my ears although not as 'loud' is still there. Today, after a not so good weekend, has been the best day I've had in 3 weeks. Tomorrow I'm into my 4th week of tapering, but 11th day of cutting and taking 75% of a 50mg tablet. The 10 days of skipping really messed with my system.

I am really hoping that my symptoms will settle this week. Being out and about seems to help. If I am doing nothing I feel a lot worse. One other thing I have noticed is that I need to eat to keep my blood sugar up or am very shaky.

Will check in on your post to see how you doing.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Almost 4 weeks of tapering and my system has finally settled. Not 100% but manageable. Hubby home which helps. The test will be when he goes away again.

My next step is to start eating better and make the time to exercise.

Now to be patient and take it slow.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Good to hear Fuzzylogic - I am cheering for you on the sideline. 

1999 Citalopram 20mg 2000 Came off Citalopram 2002 Citalopram 20mg 2003 Came off Citalopram 2007 Citalopram 20mg 2008 Pristiq 50mg 2009 Pristiq 100mg 2014 Pristiq 50mg 19 September 2014 Switch to Effexor 75mg 2019 Effexor and 40mg Endep. 3/1/2021 started a 10% taper with the Effexor .

Thanks Seb. Although we going down different tapering paths we are in this together :)

I took the wrong dose yesterday morning (my evening dose by mistake) and boy am I paying for it today. It is frightening how withdrawal is so easily dismissed by doctors. If anything though this was a reminder to take it slow.

Off to run, more than likely walk, the City to Bay. Let a new chapter in my life begin!!

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Hi Fuzzylogic, I agree the withdrawals from forgetting a tablet are horrendous. In the past when I have tried to explain it to doctors, counsellors or chemists, they really didn't get it (or believe me).

I recently bought a exercise bike and I ride it front of the TV - helps heaps.  I don't enjoy riding bikes however I sort of forget when I am watching TV. 

Well the run ended up being more of a walk as my son had a bad stitch. Even managed some tennis later.

Exercise definitely helps Seb, riding your exercise bike sounds like a win win.

I'm still holding on 75% of a 50mg pristiq, don't think my system quite settled enough to reduce yet. Hubby away from Thursday, so may wait until he gets home.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

I am also trying to taper off Pristiq.  I've been cutting the pills and have been at 1/2 of a 50 mg for two months now.  My Dr suggests another 50% cut but from all i've read here it looks like that is too much.  

How do you cut your pills?  Do you use any type of scale?  It's really been a guessing game for me.

Cheers!

Started Pristiq in 2009

Weaned off in Fall of 2013 using skipping dose method advised by doctor

Intense anxiety, insomnia, weightloss in early 2014

Prescribed multiple meds including klonopin, trazodone and 50 mg Pristiq

Finally found a psychiatrist to help me withdraw

Reduced to larger half of 50mg on July 19

Reinstated to larger half and large 1/4 of 50mg on Aug 6

Reduced to larger half of 50 mg around Aug 30

Reduced to large quarter end of November

Slowly reducing with help of a scale

Hi pdg

I am cutting with a pill cutter but it is messy. Never get a even halves (guess they not halves then :)). I bought a digital scale and weigh as best I can. Not an exact science as the tablets don't weigh the same and not sure whether the coating evenly distributed. Seems to work though. My scale has mg and oz. I am using the oz, not sure why. It's a small jeweler scale I bought for next to nothing on line.

Method I use is cut tablet in half and then quarter. Weigh gelatine capsule. Then fill capsule with what I think is desired amount and weigh again, then take out or add as required. This is probably closer to crushing.

Take 2/3 of tapered dose in the morning and and 1/3 in the evening. I'm at about 65% of 50mg tablet should be higher but made a mistake with my calcs so sticking to that for a while as system adjusted to it and can't see the point of increasing. From now on will stick as close as I can to the 10%

Not sure how this is going to work when the amounts are more minuscule, will cross that bridge when I get there.

Personally I would not drop from half to quarter. Good luck!

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

A quick update.

Have my ups and downs, but generally my system has settled. The worst is when I get upset about something, tend to blow and takes a while to calm down. I've always been a hot head, but got over things quickly, so something to work on. Buzzing is nowhere near as bad, have it occasionally (when late to take dose).

Under a bit of stress waiting for further tests to check an abnormality found in mammogram, trying to stay calm as know that not always cancer, but it's still at the back of my mind.

A good friend is encouraging me to exercise, have been walking, running and swimming it all helps.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• Administrator

Hello, Fuzzylogic, good to hear you're accommodating to the dosage change. Don't rush it, let your nervous system get good and stable before making another cut, maybe even a month or two. It's had a shock.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Fuzzy!

So glad to hear that you have stabilised and are feeling a little better. Any type of stress will "upset the apple cart" but ride it out and it will get better again and remember every day is a day closer to being Pristiq free. :)

I can imagine you must be very stressed awaiting the further tests to clarify abnormal mammogram results. I'm thinking of you and hoping that you are given positive and  reassuring news very soon

*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning

Hi Fuzzylogic, good to hear your system is adjusting to the new doses.  Keep being kind to yourself; you are doing really well.  Are you taking fish oil tablets and magnesium?  I found they have really helped with making me feel a bit calmer. I hope you get good news soon. 

(I know what you mean about blowing up - I do the same thing) 

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time since I started the taper I just feel like giving up completely. Just had the most unsuccessful appointment with my dr. I've come out of there feeling more alone, confused and shattered than ever. I can't continue this taper without a prescription,. Dr would not listen to me and insists I come off and I'm not having withdrawal.

Now have a script for Zoloft which I am not going to take. But not sure what to do next.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• Moderator Emeritus

I have some very naughty words in mind that I can't possibly put in here  :angry: !

I had to stop telling my doctor I was tapering and just keep collecting scripts because he was 

telling me the same, that I could just stop because there is no withdrawal! 

Maybe you could tell him you have decided to stick with pristiq after all and you need a script

for it. Can you see another doctor? Any doctor can prescribe it for you. 

I don't understand these doctors, they are beyond me! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I have to agree with MammaP and just tell him you have decided to stay on it and would like a script for it. That's what I was going to do if my doctor didn't like the way I was tapering. I'm sorry your doctor will not listen. Could you go see another psychiatrist and tell him you are on Pristiq and then ask for a script for it? I'm hoping you can figure out something to do. Having a doctor that will listen is so helpful (or one that actually knows how to slowly taper off something). Sending positive thoughts your way.

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/1 - Started Pristiq 50mg

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening

Thanks for the support mammaP mad oldgater. Wish I hadn't told dr I was coming off but thought if I had a problem I would have support. 1st two visits went well bit after yesterday I am emotionally shattered. Just need some time to collect my thoughts.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

I just need to verbalise how I feel right now,

I am angry with my dr for prescribing this drug and now not supporting my withdrawal process. Throwing another drug at me is not the answer that's how I got to where I am now.

I am angry with the pharmaceutical companies for putting drugs out there that they know need to be tapered and don't provide the necessary to do that.

I am angry with my husband for not giving me any verbal support when I went to the dr on Monday. I asked him to come as I knew it was going to be difficult. I'm sure his silence convinced the dr I was being difficult. He knows how hard this is and how much research I have put into coming off this drug and he could not even tell the dr that.

I am angry with myself for ever putting this stupid drug into my mouth in the first place.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

I can just imagine that anyone that has read this post has just said " yep, I'm hearing you!!!!"

it's ok to be angry Fuzzy! I was angry too for exactly the same reasons as you…well except for the husband part… I haven't got one of those which I guess is a good thing at times!! lol

Be angry for a little while but only for a little while then try and redirect that anger into doing something positive. I know that is easy to say, but anger can be such a toxic and draining emotion if you  stew on it for too long….believe me, i know!!!! 

We can't change the past as what's done is done but tomorrow is a new day and you have knowledge now and with knowledge and support we have hope.

I know how sad, frustrated  and disappointed you must be to not have received the support from your husband, but it is so easy to want to believe what a Doctor who should know best is saying especially when watching a loved one go through such pain and not feeling like you are able to help. I'm not sure how old your husband is but i know from myself and my own family that many of us grew up to have total faith and trust in the medical professions ( I'm 40 and a nurse and believed this myself until just recently when I began to start asking questions that never seemed to have answers that made sense)

You are probably going to have some pretty hard days ahead of you but hopefully you will have some good days too. some better than others, some worse than others and some that you will just think " this is too bloody hard and i want to give up!!"

Don't give up Fuzzy, it does get easier, I promise you!

Maybe when you get to  a "good" point in your taper then hold there for a while and give your mind, body and spirits time to take a breather for a  months or two…(or longer, as we need to remember that as much as we want off these pills,  getting to the end quickly is not always the best option)…. and gather some strength. I did this for myself at the half way mark when life and work got a little stressful and lets face it, i just wanted a rest from tapering!!! :)…... and then when it was time ( different for every but you will know :) ) I started to taper again

Please remember that you are surrounded by people on here who understand what you are going through and are here to support you and cheer you along when you are doing well and will be here for you to offer you comfort, advice and again support when and if you need it.

It is very very possible to get off pristiq successfully Fuzzy. I know you may not have come across many success stories whilst searching but try to remember that it is not because it cannot be done but more likely because  people are less likely to document there progress on the internet and often once feeling better move on with their lives which is ok too.

Hopefully one day in the near future this drug will be a thing of the past for you too.

Hang in there Fuzzy! It's worth it!! :)

*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning

Fuzzylogic,

You are so right. It's so unfair for a drug like this to get approved and for a doctor to prescribe it. I feel the same way. That must have been heart breaking for you husband to be so quiet during your appointment and not support you. You probably feel like you are fighting this battle all alone but you are not. I'm cheering for you. Keep trying. I am also tapering off pristiq and am having success so far. I was going to bridge to Prozac to taper off but I think I will just stay on pristiq and continue cutting my dosage down. Don't give up!!! Mogifsh gives a much better pep talk than I do but you can't quit. You have done lots of research and are needing to find out what works for you. Stay with it. If you can just stabilize right now and then get a plan together and you can start it. I'm so sorry you are having a rough time and I will be praying for you.  :)

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/1 - Started Pristiq 50mg

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening