Anyone gotten a flu shot?

compsports

I think you mentioned on another tread that you're still in acute. Trust me. You won't feel THIS bad forever. It's hard to gain perspective when you are In that bad of shape. I still suffer with a lot of symptoms but if I was told I still have 10 years of healing to do it wouldn't scare me because my symptoms have been tolerable for a few months now. I don't think people are in acute for years and years and years. It just scares the people in acute to hear this because they can only associate and relate to anything with their current feelings of terror. If that makes any sense to you.

Yes, it does make sense. Thank you. I get the crap scared out of me pretty easily. :( thanks for the reassurance :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I had the flu shot this January, and my husband informed me that his work is offering it again on Monday.  I was in withdrawal from venlafaxine, having gone off in August of 2014, but my symptoms were primarily cognitive all fall and up to January, poor memory, concentration, disorganization, unable to grasp words in conversation, terrible time articulating.  In January, I also was put on Viibryd briefly, and I had terrible anxiety at that time and went off it quickly, but I honestly can't remember when exactly I had the flu shot in relation to any of this.  It was after January that I had the worst anxiety and depression that led me to going on mirtazapine and then reinstating venlafaxine in at the beginning of June when the mirtazapine just wasn't working.  So, the question is, do I risk getting the flu shot on Monday?

I am horribly undecided on what to do.  Back in 2002 I got the flu and ended up with walking pneumonia and laryngitis so bad I literally had no voice, for a month!  I finally went to the doctor, who declared I was depressed.  I said of course I am, I've been sick as a dog forever!  And he said, no, I mean generally depressed, and you should see a psychiatrist. That was when I was prescribed venlafaxine!  After that, I started getting annual flu shots and never had issues with them.  After this January, I don't know.

My husband is usually the one to bring something home from work and then I catch it.  If he gets the flu shot, I'd be protected indirectly.  I'm not working, so my only opportunity for exposure is really when out shopping.  So, my odds for exposure seem pretty low.  My ability to make decisions has really been impaired these days!

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

SG,

It is hard to say what you should do.  In my own case, the last time I was seriously ill was from Bronchitis in 2006.   But my nutrition was horrible and my vitamin D was definitely not optimized which I understand can prevent alot of colds/flu although it isn't a guarantee.   Anyway, I haven't had a shot for several years and don't plan to break the streak.   But that isn't to say as I get older, I won't reconsider.

For folks wondering about surgery, as an FYI, I did very well after my septoplasty in March.   I think the reason I did was the surgeon and the anesthesiologist agreed about the need to minimize my medication use to my expressing concerns about cognitive issues.   If god forbid, you are in this situation, don't hesitate to speak up about your concerns.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Good to hear, compsports! You did well, grasshopper.

I'm getting my flu shot in November, as usual. For many, many years, I've very seldom gotten the flu.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Personally, I don't get them. I've read they can be potentially harmful to the body, even though I've read conflicting viewpoints on it. I've never had a flu shot in my life and I think I've had a flu once or twice, so I'll probably just stick to letting my immune system handling it on its own for now. Hopefully it's nice to me this winter and doesn't let me get sick :D.

Got mine Friday afternoon, and so far no problems.  No way do I want to get as sick as I was two years ago.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I haven't had a flu shot for the past several years. When I suffered from what seemed to be fibromyalgia, getting a flu shot made me really sick. For several months afterwards, I had terrible weakness, muscle and joint pain, and deep exhaustion. I had to get a shot when my wife had cancer, but that's the last one I had.

I prefer to do everything I can to improve my immunity and even though a flu shot is recommended if you have diabetes, I won't get another one. I had a bad case of flu a couple of years ago, but I think that's because tapering plus grief made me more vulnerable to illness. I'm in much better health now.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Can't believe , people here are getting " flu shots ".  Eeek !!! 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Can't believe , people here are getting " flu shots ".  Eeek !!! 

AliG,

As one who hasn't gotten a flu shot in years, just because we have had a horrible experience with psych meds doesn't mean every situation with meds is going to be a bad experience.   I have done very well without having one and simply prefer not to tempt fate although I guess some people would say I am doing so by not getting one.    But I can understand why the folks who chose to get one do.

C.S.

That's ok . Each to their own .   For me , it's just another " con" by   "  Big Pharma".   However , that's just me .Another " money making " exercise  !!   I have no problem with it , however, for those that choose that route.    No judgement, here.   Just a comment  !   :)   I was surprised, that's all .   :unsure: 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

C.S.

That's ok . Each to their own .   For me , it's just another " con" by   "  Big Pharma".   However , that's just me .Another " money making " exercise  !!   I have no problem with it , however, for those that choose that route.    No judgement, here.   Just a comment  !   :)   I was surprised, that's all .   :unsure:

I totally understand and my apologies if I came across as being too critical.   Didn't mean to as I was finding any post to respond to stay awake. :)

The problem is yes, I agree it is a big money making exercise by Big Pharma.   The problem is trying to decipher what I still might need in spite of their BS.   Another post.

flu shot is poison, look up the ingredients. strengthen yourselves with real living food, wash your hands and you won't get sick. haven't you guys learned from receiving nasty chemicals from people that could care less about your health ? educate yourselves people.

Summer 2013: started on Prozac for OCD

Fall 2013: started Lexapro due to Prozac zombie effects

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

Fall 2014: switched to zoloft 

February 2015: started effexor quit C/D after 2 weeks.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

May 2015: dumped all of my medications

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

• 6 years later...

Flu shots

Should those of us in withdrawal get a flu shot?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

Prozac 10mg 1990-1999    -1999-2018 Effexor XR 75 mg capsules

-2018 Dr direct switched me from Effexor 75XR to Cymbalta 20mg XR and 20 mg Metoprolol following irregular heartbeat incident  -Late 2019 began worsening anxiety/ depression symptoms     -2020 Dr direct switched  back to 75 mg Effex XR   Symptoms worsened   -2021 Changed Dr and began therapy for GAD and worsening physical symptoms   -2022 Found this forum and began slow taper by removing beads -    6/7 - 6/10 Effexor 73.2mg  6/11-6/14  Effexor 72.9mg   nightmares, tinnitus, anxiety;  6/15- Effexor XR 72.6mg  6/16 - 6/20 Effexor XR 72.8   nausea, heart palpitations, anxiety, tinnitus 6/22-7/4 hold Effexor XR 72.9-73.1     7/5-7/11  Effexor XR 72.62  7/12 - 7/15  Effexor 72.6  bad symptoms 

7/16-7/17 Effexor XR upped to 72.9  7/18 Effexor XR 72.9  most symptoms gone  hold at 72.9 - 73.0   8/26 - 9/6  Trying to keep dosage under 73. Holding around 72.9 sometime 72.86 due to bead count  Having symptoms most days.

9/6-9/23    Holding at about 72.9-73. Still very ill. No improvement.

9/23 - 11/23  Still keeping dose around 72.9-73

11-23-Jan 14   Held until one week ago. Dropped to 72.75-72.81  terrible WD

1/14- present   Worse WD symptoms. Back to 73.10. Cannot seem to stabilize. 

2/2 - present Holding at about 73 hoping to stabilize  

3/19 - present Dropped to aprox 92.9-92.88. (vary from day to day.) Holding 

Take only Clarinex 5mg for allergies and the Effexor 73 XR. I cannot take any supplements. No caffeine, sugar, soy, gluten, dairy.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy