Does anyone else suffer from extreme food, supplement, medication sensitivities?

littlemess

Ever since my w.d I've had extreme food sensitivities/supplements/beauty products and pain medication/laxtives/shampoo/chewing gum anything I put in or on my body I react to.

Is this common??? How do I cope with this?

Fuoxetine 30mg for depression

Slowish taper to 20. Mild w.d

Then from 20-10mg hit problems,

Switched to paxil, lexapro, sertraline, citalopram had adverse reactions to them all.

Reinstated prozac at 10mg. Felt better.

Manufactor switch, more w.d.

Couldn't stabilize after switch, is it w.d or side effects?

Messed with dose daily changing from 10/5/8mg up head going crazy chaos.

Now I'm stuck what dose to take?

Because I don't know if the medication is just making things worse now.

I have no proof but it seems to be common with people who have taken psych meds.   Unfortunately, getting anyone else to understand this is an exercise in extreme frustration.

To answer your question, the other day, I took a double dose of sleepytime tea with valerian and was wide awake and hyper instead of feeling sleepy.   Taking sleep remedies, (prescription and OTC) have worsened my sleep on the pap machine and have not improved it one iota.

Have also gotten strange reactions from supplements.  And if something works one day, it is a disaster another one.

I have been off of psych meds for over 4 years and was on them for 15 years, including withdrawal time.  I am also dealing with extreme sleep deprivation which could also be contributing to the problem.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Ever since my w.d I've had extreme food sensitivities/supplements/beauty products and pain medication/laxtives/shampoo/chewing gum anything I put in or on my body I react to.

Is this common??? How do I cope with this?

You cope with it by always starting at a lower than usual dose and increasing it very very slowly.   Don't take more than one thing at a time so you know what is causing the problem.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I don't have this but it seems like I have extreme sensibility for excersise!!!! it sucks. I used to love sports! and I can't even move my body now :(

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

I had extreme sensitivities to many things in early acute withdrawal, and also issues with exercise (that's common too it seems.)

I couldn't tolerate caffeine, alcohol, sugar, gluten, casein, artificial sweeteners, definitely not drugs, and most supplements and herbs.  Even fruit was a problem for a time.

Much of that did get better though.  I now can handle caffeine, gluten, casein, sugar, sweeteners, many herbs (though I have to be careful sometimes not to take them for too long a time), some supplements.  I won't try drugs unless I am in some very severe situation that is life-threatening or just utterly awful, and so far haven't had to.  I suspect there'll be a residual sensitivity to them, and most definitely to drugs I already reacted to. I also haven't tried alcohol as frankly after having been made so spaced out by drugs I am quite happy to never touch alcohol again.

A smaller percentage of people also report developing some degree of chemical sensitivities (by which I mean sensitivities to things other than drugs), which does seem to clear up eventually from what I have read others say.  It's hard to say how much of that may be due to drugs and what may be due to particular living circumstances, but just so you know it can improve.

Also, compsports is right on, if you have to take something always start low and don't mix it with anything. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

oh, I forgot to mention - I'm aslo on gluten-free-casein-free diet, so I don't even know if I feel sensitive about those. but one thing I absolutely cannot touch now, is alcohol. I mean, I would like to have at least a half glass of cider socially sometimes - but my body absolutely can't handle that. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Yes. I have been off paxil 5 years and suffer extreme food, drug, and chemical sensitivities. I was also prescribed Cipro while in acute withdrawal.....(ugh) which only complicated things.....so hopefully your sensitivities will go away soon. 

Paroxetine 10mg June'08-Oct 09 ct., suffering protracted withdrawal

• 2 weeks later...

Me too!!!!

Bad reactions to Passion Flower

Fish Oil

5htp

Theanine

And multiple foods!

It sucks, and it started in the last year while I was still on meds.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I have started to cope with certain foods more poorly than before.

I bloat with milk and bread and have IBS due to probably milk and bread.

It was perimenopause that made my body less able to handle stuff.

Perimenopause hit me just about 6-12 months into my valium taper, and it went un-noticed as I thought the symptoms were benzo withdrawal but they never changed even with a slow taper.

HRT didn't work because my perimenopause induced IBS stopped me absorbing enough oestrogen, but, now I am on mebeverine which seems to be helping but its early days.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

So far I find alcohol creates the worst issues. They generally occur around 36-48 hours after ingesting it (even in small amounts) so for a long time it was difficult to pinpoint why I was feeling agitated/restless.

The ironic thing is that this sensitivity to alcohol was going on before my withdrawal issues - and led to me switching and discontinuing my medication in 2011. It was my body's way of telling me to stop abusing it I guess. I never even drank huge amounts - certainly not enough to cause physical health issues - but it in combination with the prozac may have been my problem. Maybe even the alcohol on its own may have been my problem - I'm guessing that if I had not drank anything back in 2003 I may not have even needed to go on my psych-med journey. Now I have identified the problem I'm avoiding alcohol - and if I'm able to tolerate it in future I'll only stick to tiny amounts.

Other substances I find affect me include Omega 3 (even that found in fish) and caffeine. Sugar is another big one.

Slowly getting better from multiple drug changes. Holding at 20mg fluoxetine, 150mg pregabalin, 3.75mg mirtazapine until I work through some personal issues.

Yes!

I'm currently intolerant to sugar, gluten, milk, carbs, nuts, and most supplements, artificial sweeteners......

Am hoping I improve soon as my diet is limited and boring.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

I did an mrt food intolerance test, and had to eliminate some things. All of the sudden, I did not sleep for three days. I decided to have a bit of cream in my coffee ( as this had been something I had to cut out) and, shocker, I slept that night. I've done research, and coming off of wheat and dairy causes WD!!!! Yay!!! So I had a dairy WD!

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Anyone ever react to turkey because of the tryptophan?

• 3 years later...
On 09/10/2014 at 10:30 PM, Wildflower0214 said:

Anyone ever react to turkey because of the tryptophan?

I find that my hands burn after eating turkey? Is this what you mean? 

My reaction to food or drugs have got worse over the years. 

I can not tolerante wine, beer. I can have 1 glass of gin.. tryptofaan makes me paranoid. Painkillers dont work or make me sick. And Some days i really need to avoid high carb foods. Sugar needs to be avoided. And if i tell anyone they look at me like im a crazy fool. 

april 2013 started zoloft 25 mg june 2013 zoloft 50 mg august 2013 25 mg. i think started liquid. august 2013 fast taper to 10 mg 2015 from zoloft to cipramil 10 mg.

lots of attempts getting of.

stable on 2 drops jan 2016 jan 2016 10% off .. to 1,5 drop in 3 months.

jan 2017 to august 1 drop stable .august dropped to 0,5. so on 1 mg cipramil now. 

Add seroquel when needed 3mg

Sept 0.7

Oct 0.5mg cip

1 nov  0.3mg

7 nov 0.00000000

I’m nearly a year into withdrawal after a cold turkey and my food sensitivities are getting worse. Sugar brings on immediate severe jittering, tremors, heart palpitations, and adrenaline rushes. I literally become a different person because I get a feeling of intense anger and feel like I’m losing my mind. This same strange reaction happens when I try supplements. I’m also suddenly sensitive to gluten and have bad bloating and diahreaa. This all makes me terrified to even eat because I’m unable to afford healthy food. I really hope this gets better soon! I’ve lost so much weight during withdrawal and I don’t wish to lose anymore.

(Took Respiradone, Strattera, Celexa, Lexapro, and Pristiq prior to these.)

These were all taken over the course of approximately 10 years

10/7/15 - Fluvoxamine Maleate 100 MG

7/26/16 - Amphetamine Salts 10 MG

10/5/16 - Olanzapine-Fluoxetine 6-25 MG

11/1/16 - Olanzapine 2.5 MG AND Fluoxetine HCL 10 MG

11/08/16 - Amantadine 100 MG AND Aripiprazole 5 MG

11/22/16 - Trazodone 50 MG

12/1/16 - Aripiprazole 5 MG *LAST DOSE - COLD-TURKEYED*

• ChessieCat changed the title to Does anyone else suffer from extreme food, supplement, medication sensitivities?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy