SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Geminigirl: Hope for Healing

geminigirl

I am stabilizing, but the thing is, I still have some withdrawal symptoms left like poor memory/comprehension, as well as headaches and tingling on head/face. Am I really supposed to wait 7/8 months to fully stabilize? Why would it take that long? I just assume that after 4 months of stabilizing, that's as good as it will get and therefore I should start tapering. Didn't realize that I can keep stabilizing after 4 months.

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geminigirl

• Altostrata

• LexAnger

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

I also heard some people get better after they start tapering, even if they aren't 100% stable. Is that true?

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

• Moderator Emeritus

If what you are experiencing is withdrawal, tapering before it has settled will not help the symptoms. You are

getting those symptoms because your brain has been deprived of the drug and is trying to stabilise. 

If it is side effects of the drug, then they will get better as you taper. I felt better and better as I tapered, but

went too fast and stopped too soon then had withdrawal. It was different to the side effects and took a long time

to settle down again.  

If you decide to start tapering again, make it a very tiny cut of 5%  and see how it goes. Sadly there are no quick fixes

or guarantees with these drugs! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Agree with mammaP.

Your brain was pickled in these drugs for years and it changed itself accordingly. Four months isn't long when you look at the context. It sounds to me like you may need more time to heal, and that's not at all unusual. These are slow and imperfect processes. Our brains were remodeled by the drugs and damaged by the withdrawal, and healing and growing a new brain is not something that happens fast. Goodness, even healing a broken bone is slow, and our bodies actually know how to heal broken bones. What these drugs do to us, our bodies have no idea how to fix it, since we've never had the chance in evolution to evolve those mechanisms, since these are a completely new thing.

But if you'd like to give it a try and see what happens if you cut, the important thing is take it slow. Make the first cut small, and then no matter how good you feel afterwards, wait a full four weeks. Keep notes daily and rank your symptoms on a scale of 1 to 5. Observe all the ups and downs. Once you're through that four weeks, if all is well, do it again (small cut, keep notes).

After a couple of cycles, if you feel like it's all gone really well and you're feeling pretty good and stable, you can increase the amount you cut.

Impatience is our worst enemy in this, believe me. I can't tell you how many people I have seen reinstate, have a good response to that, then they get impatient and cut too soon or cut too much or make a second cut too soon, and then a couple of months later they're in hell and begging for help. Unfortunately, every time we pull the rug out from under our nervous systems, it gets harder and harder to get back into balance. Please don't be another one of those people, it breaks my heart every time, and we have no magic way to fix it.

It's so much better to take it slow and then ramp up gradually than to get impatient and push it and then crash and burn and have to start all over, especially since once that happens it's never as easy as it was the first time. You're doing well. That's your strength and your gift. Please protect yourself and don't throw away your luck.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks so much guys. It helps to much, I have endless gratitude to you.

It's so weird though that the sensations I still have is due to withdrawal. Anyways, I will wait a few more months. I am definitely better since two and a half months ago so maybe in a few more months I will be even better. I just feel angry cuz it's like I wasted several months, where I could have been tapering correctly.

Hey guys,

I am so pissed off right now. I am having horrible headache and eye pressure! It hurts to move my eyes. Just wondering, is this still withdrawal from my too fast of a taper couple months ago? I have been trying to stabilize for two and a half months, and things have been getting a tiny bit better, but all of a sudden today I got this horrible headache and even a bit of dizziness.

It seems to get better, then worse again. Is that normal even when stabilizing and on the same original dose for 2 and a half months?

• Moderator Emeritus

Is this the first time you have experienced headache, eye pressure and dizziness?  Or have these been ongoing symptoms? Stabilizing can happen in a windows and waves kind of pattern, or this could just be a random headache/migraine and not connected.

If you are getting symptoms which come in waves and then you have periods of feeling better, you are still in the stabilizing process and need to give it more time.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Yes, it's like I feel worse, then better, worse than better, sometimes within a day.

I have had eye pressure and headache quite a bit when I first started my reinstatement but then it lessened, and I just had more brain fog, but today brain fog isn't as big, but headache and eye pressure got worse. But just an hour ago it got better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Give it a bit more time Geminigirl, it sounds like you are still having waves of symptoms.  Sometimes it can take several months to stabilize after reinstatement.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi Petu,

Okay thanks.

Ya, I guess I will wait. I just cant believe any progress is so snail pace like. Someone from paxilprogress though told me that these symtopms may be happening cuz my body is telling me it wants to get off the celexa and I just start tapering, like by 5%

Hi Geminigirl

Sounds like you are having real difficulty withdrawing from citalopram, sorry to hear that.

I was thinking of changing my trazodone to citalopram, but it sounds like citalopram is hard to withdraw from.

My friend recently weaned off citalopram quickly and got no withdrawals, but everyone is different.

Doctors often wont give liquid, my GP says only people with feeding tubes allowed liquid.

When I went into hospital recently for surgery, they gave me liquid trazodone to take home.

Might use it later to wean off.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Geminigirl

Sounds like you are having real difficulty withdrawing from citalopram, sorry to hear that.

I was thinking of changing my trazodone to citalopram, but it sounds like citalopram is hard to withdraw from.

My friend recently weaned off citalopram quickly and got no withdrawals, but everyone is different.

Doctors often wont give liquid, my GP says only people with feeding tubes allowed liquid.

When I went into hospital recently for surgery, they gave me liquid trazodone to take home.

Might use it later to wean off.

Primrose be careful with the liquid trazodone, if it is opened it will deteriorate and not be effective after being opened for

more than a few weeks. Unopened it will keep for years. Your gp is talking tosh about feedi g tubes! I have a friend who

gets citalopram liquid, it is inexpensive compared to prozac. Gps are reluctant but you can get what you need by insisting

politely but firmly. 

Gemini girl, you might well be getting side effects from celexa but doing a fast taper can make things even worse, I started

to react to effexor and was really ill but I started to get better as I tapered. Sadly I went too fast and suffered the consequences.

I wish I had tapered more precisely and slower because I would have felt better by the time I was off it instead of going into 

withdrawal.  You will get better, I know snails pace is frustrating but even snails get to the finishing line in the end! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi mammap

thanks. I dunno how to insist on liquid traz with my doctor.

When you say my bottle will deteriorate, it got opened last month, should i chuck it out?

thanks

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Administrator

Phone the manufacturer and ask.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey guys,

I am gonna be on this site now cuz PP closed down.

Anyways, I am really pissed off today because I realize I am still partially in withdrawal even after like 3 months and I am really noticing my brain not working as well although it might just be the drugs side effects.

I am going through intensive, life changing therapy now where I really need my brain intact, and I am worried cuz my brain isn't working as well, and it's hard to even retain information.

I want to taper soon cuz people say as you taper your brain starts working better.

Sometimes it hurts for my brain to think :S

Hi,

Just wondering for those who started tapering, did you guys feel better as you got closer to 10 mg, like particularily, feeling like your head is more clear, and being able to think better?

Hi Geminigirl!  Good to "see you".  I like your new picture!  I love cats!  How are you doing?

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

• Administrator

Geminigirl, if you have withdrawal symptoms now, it might be time for a nice vacation from tapering, to give your nervous system a chance to adjust. That could be where the mind fog is coming from.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

The thing is ALostrata, I still haven't started tapering, I am still in withdrawal a bit from the too fast of a taper 3 months ago. Well only thing I feel is bit of brain fog and sensitivity to lights but it keeps getting slightly better each month, so dunno if I should wait to taper or start now. That's why I was thinking maybe brain fog/hard to think too much is cuz of celexa side effects.

• Administrator

I would wait to taper. Those are very common withdrawal symptoms.

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum.

Are you taking fish oil and magnesium? Many people do better with them, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time, in case you're sensitive to them.

omg

I feel horrible. I was getting more stable, and withdrawal was starting to resolve, and just now BOOM my whole head, jaw, face hurts. I also have blurriness/fuzziness on right side....Can barely lift head.

Is this my brain just trying to get back to normal (while on meds)?

I feel like crap, head feels like its going to explode....

Anyone out there want to chat? This is still withdrawal right? I guess my fast taper 3 months ago really messed up my CNS.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had the exact same symptoms come on suddenly, quite recently actually.  I know how painful it is.  I've had this happen 4 times so far and each time its only lasted a few days.  I don't know what causes this symptom, for me it seemed to be random, but luckily it does go away, seems to be some kind of a wave.

I found that laying in a quiet, darkened room helped, also listening to relaxing music (at low volume).  The last time this happened to me I took some aspirin, which took the pain off, but I think I may have then caused an extended wave of other symptoms because I took too much aspirin.  So I don't know if that's such a good idea, I guess it depends on how much pain you are in.

Do your best to relax and deal with it the best you can, I'm sure it will pass.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hi Geminigirl

Sorry you are still having horrible symptoms.

When I was withdrawing from valium and it was taking me ages, people used to ask me if there was something else causing my problems, and I used to just say, no its definitely valium withdrawals, cos the symptoms came about after I cold turkeyed valium.

Anyways, after a few years of these symptoms, I went and got a hormone blood test and it came back that I was in perimenopause. I am now experimenting with my GP on HRT, and I think we are getting there as we have had to up the dose a bit, but finally my symptoms are starting to abate, or come less often, things like sweats and overheating mainly.

Could your symptoms be something else?

I'm not saying menopause, and I don't want to come across dismissive, as I know your symptoms are valid.

but could they be due to another problem?

I used to hate it when people said my symptoms may be something else, but when I found out they were due to meno it enabled me to get off valium quicker, (not too quick to start symptoms) but much quicker than I had been tapering.

Sorry if this is not the case, I just thought I would put it up as a suggestion as I was so grateful to find out valium was not causing my symptoms.

Im 26 so it's not menopause....

The headache lasted an hour yesterday, maybe more...I fell asleep finally and this morning I woke up with no headache....

It was so horrible last night though, felt like my brain was gonna explode. I also thought I was actually having a brain bleed or something. Cuz I got blurry vision on right side....

The thing is, last time a headache like this happened, my symptoms got a lot better afterwards.....

Like maybe people are right when they say after a bad wave, symptoms seem to get a lot better.

I guess my CNS took a hard blow though cuz it's been 3 months since reinstating and I still get these waves...

I hope you start to feel better sooner as you have been through the wringer. x

• Administrator

That sounds like migraine.

I got similar symptoms for a while from withdrawal, then they stopped. For me, triggers might have been bright lights or dehydration, plus withdrawal hypersensitivity.

Are you also light-sensitive?

Hi Geminigirl

Sorry to hear your brain is not working for you at the moment due to tapering three months ago.

I think it sounds like you need to regroup before tapering again.

Alto, Geminigirl mentions light sensitivity in the post above. :)

Hi Geminigirl,

I am glad you are slowing stabilizing.  I too am trying to stabilize after crashing - although my taper was a slow one.  I increased from 12.6 Celexa to 16 mg and am going to try to stabilize from there.  I have developed a headache since going up and am wondering if the headaches you have experienced started also from your increase?  Mine has been there everyday for the past few days.  I am hoping this will get better as I stabilize and it is just my brain adjusting to a new level of medication.  

Hope you are doing ok,

Michele

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

thanks for the comments.

Ugh, I still feel pretty crappy. It's almost gonna be 4 months of stabilizing after my too fast taper, and I still feel crappy. I still have headaches, especially when I see bright lights, headaches, a bit of confusion.

I found that I got a lot better after the first two months, and then it just stayed the same. I still haven't been able to get over the above withdrawal symptoms.

Is this really still just my brain trying to stabilize? I know mammap said it took her a while to stabilize. But I just really want to get back to  normal, like how I was before the crash. I was doing fine before the crash. Does anyone know how long it will take for me to stabilize completely? Or do some people NEVER stabilize and just have to continue tapering?

Grr help?

• Moderator Emeritus

We definitely do stabilise and 4 months is not such a long time. It is very, very individual so it's not really helpful to compare yourself with others.

It's your own brain that is the chief authority. I notice that you are not really convinced (despite the evidence you felt yourself;) that long holds heal. You are tempted to believe that lower doses and tapering will make you feel better. We have seen that tapering while symptoms are still pronounced (regardless of how much time it passed) makes things only worse. i'm glad you are resisting this temptation and hope you continue ;)

in answer to your question with my particular brain and all it went through it took me around 10 months to feel 90% of how I felt before the crash. I felt significant improvement some 4 months later and then things were improving gradually but in windows and waves pattern with good periods getting longer but still some symptoms striking out of the blue as you describe.

If you google surviving antidepressants and light senstivity I'm sure you will get lots of practical advice on how to help yourself (I think I read people wore sunglasses. It looked strange but if it prevents headaches that's a small price to pay.)

Hope some of this helps;) you are doing well.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Gemini Girl

I do feel for you and what you are going through. My story is similar to yours. On Dr's advice I did a too fast taper from Citalopram in the autumn of last year and it really hit me so hard once I got down to 10mgs from 30mgs. I had no option but  to updose gradually to get rid of the crippling withdrawal symptoms. I updosed to 20mgs in November and  4 weeks ago I increased up to 30mgs and am now waiting to stabilise before I start tapering again. So many of your questions have been what I have been wanting to ask but in my mind fog couldn't put pen to paper. I had an awful day yesterday, today is a little better and I am hoping that tomorrow will be better still. I am trying to find my way around this site and have managed to read a lot of what is on here. I think the main thing is we may  have to accept that this possibly  is not going to be a quick fix. In my experience, if I get anxious about how long it will be before I feel well again, my withdrawal symptoms seem to get worse. I am trying not to look too far ahead and taking each day as it comes.I agree that  It's hard and frustrating  when you just want to get on with your life. I want to get back to work and functioning properly, having always been a very active person. Finding this site has given me so much help and information and  the hope that things will improve but as everyone is different no one knows how long it's going to be.

I have definitely improved when I look back to how I was a few weeks ago but progress is slow and I have to accept that or I will drive myself crazy. Last week I had what I think to be a good window for a few days and the past couple of days have been a huge wave.

I live in Spain, although I am British, where the sun is mostly shining! Funnily enough Sat evening just before sunset we were out in the car driving West into the bright low sun setting  in the sky and this is when I felt my WD symptoms start to increase. I got a tight neck and shoulders and terrible headache. Felt shaky and not with it and very tearful.  I am going to read the info on this as maybe this was a trigger.

If I can be of any help to you please let me know. I am in the early days yet I know but I am here if anyone needs to talk.

Flowers xxx 

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hey flowers,

Ya I am going through the same thing.

This sucks soooo bad.

I know it's hard isn't it?!

I think we just need to hang on in there and make the most of the good days. Let me know how you are doing - I will be thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon.

Flowers x

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Bubble, thank you so much for your reassurance. It really helps and makes me feel more normal regarding all this. I guess I will have to wait longer, much longer than I anticipated. Cant believe this takes so freaking long :S sigh.

Flowers, thanks for your support.

Just want to add though, that in the othersite, PP, people said that some people never stabilize after a crash. Is it cuz they just didn't wait long enough?