SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Reflex: Help in a real muddle

Reflex

Help please
Hello
From my signature you can hopefully see that I have been on citalapram for 9 years, 5 weeks of seralatine (excuse my spelling) 8 weeks of withdrawal, 2 doses of 100mg seralatine, cold turkey for nearly a week.

My question is what should I do?

Is it likely that is it for the withdrawal effects? I suspect not I couldn't get away with it that easy.

Should I start taking seralatine now or wait for the withdrawal effects to start again?

My doctor doesn't know told me to come off all medication for the week but I am scared. It's like a time bomb waiting to go off?
Is it possible that the two tablets last tue and Wed was sufficient to stay withdrawal effects for the week? Is it just a placebo effect?
I'm very confused and scared. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reflex

• Altostrata

• Junglechicken

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Reflex, welcome to SA.

I'm sorry you have been having some problems with withdrawal.  Why did you switch from citalopram to sertraline?  Unfortunately, your signature isn't showing up, here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not certain, but I think you have to press the save button when you are finished, sometimes people forget to do that.

I'm a bit confused about your situation.  It sounds like you took only 2 doses of sertraline after being in withdrawal for 8 weeks.  But then you stopped again and haven't had any more symptoms.  Do I have this right?

We need a few more details about what has happened.  What withdrawal symptoms were you having?  Did you taper the sertraline or stop CT?  What dose were you originally on?

If you were getting withdrawal symptoms before, its likely that they will come back.  People who have already done a too-fast taper or cold turkey often end up suffering for many months or even years, so you might need to reinstate a small amount, stabilize and then begin a proper taper. 

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.  Here is some information about reinstatement. 

http://survivinganti...rawal-symptoms/

... the nervous system does best in a stable environment. Help your nervous system adapt to life without drugs by maintaining as much stability as you can. This is the way you can take care of yourself and help your nervous system to recover. We are our own worst enemies when it comes to stressing our nervous systems! Examples:

3.a. Do not suddenly quit taking your drugs. Do not skip doses to taper. These big, fast changes are the opposite of providing stability for your nervous system. Skipping doses causes the amount of the drug in your bloodstream to go up and down. Do not do this for any psychiatric drug.

Please see:  Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable

Please see the Important Topics in Tapering for more information including details about how to taper your particular drug.

And here's another important read which explains our basic method of tapering:  Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?

I hope for your sake that you don't experience any more symptoms, but from what I have learned here and on other sites, I think you may be in a temporary window and will need to reinstate.

Once you get back to us with more details about your drug history and situation, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.  I’m glad you found us.  

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, Reflex.

What symptoms do you have today?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi everyone

This is the strange thing I am starting to feel better. However I am aware that I am at home with no pressure, not having to concentrate or focus.

I am not sleeping properly but I am taking Nytol so at least I get some sleep.(3-4 hours).

This is very scary as I am waiting for the withdrawal effects to come back.

Is it possible that this is a window? In which case should i be enjoying it.

Does anyone have any advice or experience as to what happens if you have become desensitized to an A.D ?

I have to return to work next Tuesday but scared that I will return and then experience withdrawal symptoms again.

I worked out that I was off Seraltine for about 50 days before taking the dose of 100mg last week.

I hope everyone finds some peace today

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Reflex, welcome from me too. Glad you are feeling better and hope it continues for you.

I agree with Petu that withdrawal is likely to come back as you suffered from it before.  There

is no way of telling when or how bad, everyone is different. There is also the possibility that 

you will be fine! The side effects are dose related and a very small dose may have helped the 

withdrawal without the side effects.  

If you decide to try again I would try a very small dose of 10 mg, every day at the same time and hold

for several weeks to allow your nervous system to stabilise properly then start a slow taper of 10% of

the current dose.  

It is not uncommon for people to feel great after quitting but then sadly find themselves in withdrawal a few

weeks, or even months down the line.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you

I have trawled through these forums and got some good advice and examples.

I am going to go back to the doctors and ask for a smaller dose of medication I case the withdrawal symptoms come back.

I am trying to be positive that they won't but like both mamma p and Albostrata have said is very likely.

My dilemma is now which one Citalapram the original A.D, Seraltine or Prozac?

According to what I have read Citalapram now has liquid form in the Uk as does Prozac but not Seraltine.

Although I said I would never go back on Citalapram I think it may be the worse of two evils?

Any advice, experience comments welcome.

• Administrator

When you were taking sertraline for 5 weeks, how did you feel?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi

If I remember correctly. I felt it was a means to an end. Pros and cons.

It definitely effected my sleep pattern but at the time thought this was a positive as I wanted to come of Citalapram because of sleeping too much. I did have the start of weird dreams, sleep walking., waking up at 5 in the morning unable to go back to sleep.

Stomach and toilet issues

Dizziness and muffled head.

Tinnitus

But all manageable in comparison to withdrawal symptoms.

Thinking back when I was on Citalapram the main issues were too much sleep, joint pains, restless legs, bouts of sinuitus.

Do you see my dilema? Which is the lesser of the two evils? Also which has a lower enough dose to start on and stabilise?

Please help?

One blessing at the moment is that I can walk without aches, so I am trying to do that each day now.

Kind thoughts from Bristol

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Reflex,

We can't advise you which drug to ask for but I read through your thread and thought about what I would do if I were in your situation.  The fact that taking some sertraline has eliminated your withdrawal symptoms tells me that there is a good chance it will work again if they come back.  Another thing to consider is that if you are taking a much lower dose, then you may not get the side effects you were experiencing when on a full dose.  As MammaP mentioned, 10mg may be enough to take away any withdrawal symptoms which come back, if they do.

Many people make their own liquid from tablets or capsules, here is how you do it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

If you still have some 100mg pills left, you could use this method to make 10mg right now if you needed to.

Do let us know what you decide.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi

I've been given liquid Prozac yeah.

The doctor ( the fourth one ive seen in the past two weeks) was very caring but not very knowledgable about withdrawal from AD stated that suffering from Ad withdrawal for 10 weeks was very unusual. I thought of everyone on this website suffering and it made me sad that the medical profession do not have the expertise or understanding. Thank goodness for this site.

Hoping to stabilise on 2.5 liquid Prozac to deal with withdrawal effects and sleeping tablets to get some sleep.

Hope everyone finds something in the day that is positive however small.

• Administrator

I would have reinstated sertraline myself, rather than Prozac. These drugs are not exactly interchangeable.

Hi everyone

Just checking in.

I have been taking liquid Prozac for a week now and starting to feel stable.

I have an occupational health appointment today.

I'm not sure what I'm going to say.

Although I am functioning I'm not nearly well enough to go back to work. My memory has been effected as has my thinking and ability to formulate sentences. ( this is pretty crucial in my job as a teacher).

Im only sleeping because of the sleeping tablets.

I am concerned that I will crash again, although I can't live my life waiting for it to happen.

My Gp said I could need a further week so I suppose I should take his advice.

It helps to write on here.

But I feel guilty that others are experiencing such pain.

Best wishes for a peaceful day

• Administrator

Good to hear. How much Prozac are you taking? What sleeping tablets are you taking? Why do you take two?

Hi reflex,

I hope you are feeling a tad better. I would take another week off, you may even may want to consider taking fmla for a short period if the wd is too severe.

If I could suggest, do not live in fear of the resurfacing of your symptoms. Take this good wave and enjoy it. Maybe your wd symptoms won't come back, not everyone does. Maybe you will be one of the good ones that can spread to people who fear stopping may not be as severe or prolonged as others.

Do you feel better since going back on the Prozac? Were you experiencing depressive episodes or another kind of feeling?

Please do not take any of the steps that I have. I'm searching advice n suggestions from the wonderful experts on this forum.

Living in fear of the ball dropping can only cause anxiety and fear. I would try to enjoy this pleasant feeling as it may be very well that your wd could possibly be finished.

Can you take fmla if necessary?

Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition

Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.

11 weeks ago I qt quit invega

10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Progress not perfection!!

Hi crazykatie

Thanks for your kind advice.

Yes I am feeling slightly better on Prozac. I realize it is early days but it does seem to have prevented the withdrawal symptoms.

When I compare it to citalapram at least I am more awake and able to walk without pain. I am also experiencing some natural emotion whereas on citalapram all emotions were suppressed.

I feel guilty that I am not in work and that I may be seen out. But I was thinking that if I had broken my leg I would be off work for at least 6 weeks. Instead I have damaged my nervous system which needs as much time and care to heal.

I originally went on A.D for depression and anxiety following bullying in the workplace but I had dealt wit this through cognitive behavior therapy. I remained on A.D far to long wasn't really monitored by GP and then were part of my life. I haven't experienced a depressive episode since (touch wood ) when on the me cation or during withdrawal . It was the terrible physical symptoms I couldn't handle.

Anyway I'm going to stabilize on Prozac for at least a few months like you. It's progress because I'm not on suc a high dose and I hav learnt from he experience.

I'm going for a walk now while there is till some sunshine.

I hope you find something to enjoy in your day.

Good morning

Is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience to me with regards to medication ?

I would like to hear from anyone similar to my situation please would gain some comfort from that. I know we are all individual and react in different ways.

Thank you

So just to update

I've been back to the doctors today to see the 3rd doctor I saw out of five. She tried again to persuade me back onto citalapram five months after stopping them when I changed to sertraline on another doctors advice.

I was adamant that I was not going back on citalapram so she suggested increasing my dose of Prozac to a full dose of 20mg. To get fully well again and stabilise before beginning again with withdrawal. She stated that I will come off of them even if it takes a year.

She was concerned that I was put on the sleeping tablets by the other doctor as these are addictive after 3 weeks.

Fortunately I have only taken them for two weeks.

Each doctor has told me something different.

I have faith that finally I have a doctor who has some understanding of withdrawal. I just wish I had seen her from the beginning.

So I'm taking antidepressants again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update Reflex.  You might do better on a lower dose of Prozac, its best to start with the lowest dose possible.  Then there is less chance of side effects and a lower amount to taper from.  How are you feeling now you are taking 20mg?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hi Petu

Thanks for the reply.

3 days in from taking 20mg of Prozac not sure how I feel, certainly not so agitated, calmer I suppose.

Sleep still disturbed but I suppose this is in comparison to sleeping solidly through the night for 9-11 hours per night for the last 8 years. In fact in the past if I sat down I would fall asleep. So is that an improvement , not sure?

I am concerned that the increased dose will make me a zombie again but it is not the same amount as I was taking of citalapram at least.

I started this journey back in June and look back and think what a waste of time spent trying to come off this medication unsussessfully.

However I am going to write here this affirmation so that I can return to it.

I AM GOING TO COME OFF OF THIS MEDICATION, just at a much slower rate.

My priority is to get well again to return to work.

Thankfully I have found this site and I am going to take all the advice I can from other people's experiences.

Have a Peaceful day.

• Administrator

Please let us know how you're doing.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I just wanted to update my journey with Ad .

I've been stable on Prozac for about 6 weeks and have returned to work .I am still determined to come off A.D but realize that it will take much longer than anticipated.

I returned to the doctor today for a repeat prescription and to discuss progress.

The GP has suggested reducing by 0.2ml per week. She has given me some syringes and liquid Prozac.

Surely this too quick? I have read on here about the 10% reduction monthly.

She has also persuaded me not too start until the new year as Christmas can be a stressful time.

Can someone help with how much I should taper please?

I have 5ml syringe with 0.2 markings.

The equivalent of 20mg is 5ml?

Would 0.2 ml per month be better to start with?

I am so grateful for any advice.

Best wishes

Reflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Reflex, I'll need to know what your dilution is before I can say how much 0.2 mL is. That is, I need to know how many milligrams per mL.

Just to clarify, milligrams are a measure of weight, and that's how the drug itself is measured. ML or milliliters is a measure of liquid volume. You can have 1 mg of drug in 1 mL of liquid or you can have 10 mg of drug in 1 mL of liquid (or any other number of mg), so we need to know how much mg of drug is in the mL before we can say if it's too much to cut.

If you're taking 20 mg of Prozac you don't want to cut more than 2 mg for your first cut. I would actually suggest going with just 1 mg to see how it goes the first time, since you're just now feeling better after a rough time. It's better to go too small than too big, because if you go too small you can always increase if you do well, but if you go too big you can really crash and burn and you'll be right back at square one plus extra suffering.

Let us know what your dilution is (how many mg per mL).

Also, please add all updates to this same thread, one thread per person. (Thanks to whoever found the original thread and moved this post to it). If you lose track of your thread you can put into Google "Reflex surviving antidepressants" and it should find you. (That's what I do when I don't post for a while and my thread ends up back several pages.)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi Rhi

Thanks for your response.

I've checked the bottle for Prozac concentration it says 20mg/ 5ml.

What should be my first cut?

Many thanks for helping with this. My brain is a little confused.

Have a good day.

Hi Reflex

If 5ml =20mg

1 ml=4mg

0.5ml =2mg

0.25ml=1mg

0.2ml=0.8mg

But don't take my word for it, just that im about to get some liquid form of what I take and thought I should get my brain working.

Wait til they wake up on West coast USA !

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not on the west coast of the USA, but Simon's maths looks right to me.

If you want to do a 5% cut (1mg) you would take 4.75ml

If you want to do a 10% cut (2mg) you would take 4.5ml

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Thanks for doing the math, Simon!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Happy new year.

I have started my taper. Now at 4.5 ml and going to stay at this for at least 3 weeks. Did this over the last 4 weeks 0.2, 0.2 and finally 0.1 yesterday.

Feel tempted to go faster but I've stopped myself. Read some posts and reminded myself of the withdrawal symptoms that others are suffering and how I suffered in Autumn 2014. Certainly a deterrent don't want to feel like that again.

I have noticed a change in my taste buds ,appetite and diet since being on Prozac.

I use to love chocolate but I'm not tempted by it anymore tried some at Christmas but didn't really appreciate it. No longer drink coffee even decaf . Can just about tolerate decaf tea now and again. I don't enjoy the taste of alcohol either.

Just wanted to log this to remind me further into the journey.

Wishing everyone peace.

• Administrator

Please let us know how you're doing, Reflex.

Hi everyone

I'm doing ok.

Made my first 10% reduction in Dec. from 5ml to 4.5 ml

Now looking at the next 10% reduction from Saturday.4.5 to 4.1 ml

Taking the advice on here with regards to tapering going very slowly, trying to be consistent and simple with changes.

I have noticed changes in my taste buds . The current bottle of liquid Prozac is made by a different manufacturer. I have noticed a difference in the taste. Also I don't fancy foods And drinks I use to like. No longer drink caffeine at all in tea, coffee or coke . I don't fancy chocolate any more. I'm trying to eat less processed food. I feel the Prozac liquid has effected my taste preferences

I'm taking omega 3 , a multivitamin and glutamate currently.

Unable to do as much walking out in the fresh air as during the autumn due to the dark nights but aiming to start doing this again in the spring.

I find myself more alert on Prozac than I ever was on citalapram. Downside is I'm still waking up in the night a couple of times disturbed by sounds, changes in light and temperature. I'm looking to invest in some blackout curtains for my bedroom.

Due to go back to my doctor for a repeat prescription and to check in with her within the next two weeks.

I'm looking to start a mindfulness course provided at work.

Feel more assertive on Prozac and very talkative. I've caught myself saying too much in some situations and this is a shock to people who knew me before Prozac. Family are a good gage of my behavior and keeping me in check if my behavior becomes erratic.

All in all I feel positive. I hope it continues. My aim is o get off of antidepressants completely but if it takes a long time and still have to maintain a minute amount to prevent withdrawal symptoms then I'm prepared to do this. I never want to experience withdrawal symptoms again.

Sounds good :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Thanks, Reflex. Please update your signature.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

Wow realized that I haven't been on here since Jan to update.

This is not because I'm off AD and runaway to a tropical island rather just plodding on with the slow reductions ever three weeks.

I'm down to 2.5 ml of Prozac liquid today. So back to where I started in the Autumn.

I start to feel some minor symptoms after a week of the reduced dose , they pass and then I seem to have a week free before the next reduction.

I know the next stage is going to be more difficult and may have to extend the length of time between reductions but still has determined as ever to quit.

Bess wishes to everyone on the site

Reflex☀

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, Reflex.

For the last leg, you may wish to make reductions that are smaller than 10%.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Reflex , how are you doing lately?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 months later...

Hi

Please don't think me rude but I don't seem to get notifications of posts. So sorry that I didn't respond to you.

I'm ok . I've had a week off work but spent it lying down as had severe back pain.

It seems to be the lower I go in tapering it throws up new physical symptoms.

According to the consultant I need a hip replacement as I have arthritis of the hip but it seems to be effecting all my joints.

Looking forward to when I will be Ad free and pain free.

Hip replacement due Aug , Ad taper currently at .6 ml. I am now accepting that this is Likely to be at least another year and having to slow down.

How are you doing? What's CES therapy by the way?

Best wishes

Reflex

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I thought I would update.

I've continued to taper, currently at .57 of Prozac.

I've experienced a period of increased stress over the last 6 weeks at home and in work and find the neuroemotions difficult to handle.

A good friend keeps reminding me that this is normal to experience anxiety and emotions given the changes I'm going through.

It's just alien to me because when on medication and the stresses of life came along I was zombified and just slept through it. Or at least that's what it felt like.

Some days I feel like I never will get off this medication, like so many others. Other days I think we'll the small dose I'm on now is purely giving my brain time to heal.

A small dose is better than the original dose I was on.

I have been lazy or distracted from doing the self help activities for myself like Epsom salt baths, walking, massage, reflexology and meditation. I get caught up in a cycle of rumination and anxiety.

I can read other people's posts and know what is going to be suggested I.e slow down the taper and hold but just can't do this for myself.

It is the summer vacation in less than three weeks and then I am having a hip operation . I want to take this opportunity whilst off work to taper a little quicker so as to get the worse out the way whilst I'm not in work.

But that is counterproductive as I expect the withdrawal will kick in .

Also wondering how low I will have to go before jumping off.

I read on here that someone got so low that they literally just ran their tongue over the syringe.

Is that how low I'm going to have to go before jumping off?

Are there any success stories tapering from Prozac?

I realise that if there are people are getting on with their lives.

I have read most of the success stories on this forum .

Looking for a little bit of reassurance and motivation to continue with this journey.

Best wishes

Reflex