SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Reflex: Help in a real muddle

Reflex

H

Thanks for your reply.

Symptoms are anxiety , agitation,sickness , cant sleep, no appetite.

When it was really bad for you what did you do?

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reflex

• Altostrata

• Junglechicken

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early stages all you can do is acknowledge, accept and then float through the feelings being physical and mental.

Then as my CNS started to recover I was able to go for regular Reflexology / Massage sessions, I carried out a daily Mindful Meditation practice.

Now I find that Reflexology / Massage and going to the gym at least 3 times a week are really helping to relieve stress which is a main trigger for me and my anxiety.

I also cut out Alcohol and artificial sweeteners and try to have a balanced diet of wholesome foods.

Have you tried taking a bath with some Epsom Salts? that might relax you. Or drink Peppermint tea before bed that brings my anxiety level down.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

My concern for Reflex is adequate nutrition (to aid muscle and joint recovery post-op) as she has lost her appetite and dry retches when trying to eat.

I think that those meal substitutes i.e those shakes with all the vitamins/minerals might be the answer for now.  They also contain sufficient calories.  

An alternative could be protein shakes or juicing.

Reflex, you need to keep your strength up with calories or you will get weaker, and this will delay your ability to heal post-op.

Also, do you have access to an NHS physio to help you build strength slowly and gently?  If not, are you healed enough to go to a pool for gentle exercise? 

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Thanks JC for your continual friendship and concern

I have some of the protein shake powder but do have to force myself to drink it.

I also have access to physio. My next appointment is Thursday.

I've spent the day with my family and they think up dosing is the answer. It is so hard to explain to them.

I am so afraid to updose but equally afraid of these withdrawal effects.

It wasn't like this when I came off of citalapram. I must have been so lucky to have reinstated with Prozac in time.

Wish I could understand what caused this? Suppose it's just a vicious circle of the operation, stressful life events, medication. The one thing I kept consistent was the Prozac.

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

I am definitely anti up-dosing as this will be another thing for your CNS to adapt to, and then taper down from in future.  Up dosing would be just a band aid.

And I agree with you that given how much you have been through recently, all of those life events will have taken their toll on your CNS.

You need sufficient time to recover from all of this.

Keep forcing down the protein shakes Reflex, and get the calories in.  

If you have to sleep in the middle of the day, then sleep.  Just do what your body wants to do at the time.

How are you getting around at the moment? are you on crutches?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

You could also try baby food.

Major Life Events: 

Day 1

Going to start to keep this as a journal as I've seen others do.

Medication:-

I've updosed to 1ml of Prozac from .6 in the hope of some relief from the terrible symptoms I've been having.

Symptoms

Insomnia

Dry retching

No appetite

Barely eating

Anxiety

Agitation

Weakness

Fear

This withdrawal is different to citalapram withdrawal or is it because I have read more and know more than two years ago.

Recent history:-

It's so strange how this all came about and how it crept up on me. I was doing so well after my hip surgery for the first month but for the last three weeks I have felt so unwell that I wished I didn't have the operation.

Was it the painkillers that effected the Prozac, was it stress from uncertainty about my work situation which still hasn't been resolved.

Doctors advice was to updose to 2.5 ml therapeutic dose.

I know from reading on here that is too much of a risk. So I'm going gradually hoping to find the minimal updose for relief.

I've just managed to eat a yogurt whilst typing on here. That is a real achievement for me as I barely eat and can't finish anything if I think about it.

How long does it take for an updose to take effect? Is it like a taper decrease ? Which for me is usually a week to ten days. I feel because of prozacs long life.

I've got to get well again to return to work

This is a lonely and terrifying experience. I am so grateful for this website . If I can help others by recording my individual experiences I will be pleased.

Hi Reflex. I'm sorry that you're having such a struggle right now. You have been through such a lot.  If you have already updosed then please stay at this dose for now. It takes at least 4 days to reach a steady state in the blood and for your body to register the addition however it would be best to see how you go over the next 10 days to 2 wks to get a clearer picture of how you are progressing.

Please continue to take notes so as to ascertain the effects of the updose.

It's not surprising that you're symptomatic given that your CNS has been through quite an assault with the surgery and associated anesthetic and painkillers. What were you given for pain ?  Perhaps you could add that to your signature.

Try to keep up your nutrition. That is so important. Smoothies and juices are ideal along with protein shakes and if you're tolerating yogurt then keep that up as well. 

I hope you get some relief soon.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Day 2

Sleep

Didn't go to bed until midnight.

Slept for two two hour slots and then dosed.

Sleep isn't deep seems very super visual.

Anxiety over not sleeping and then waking is just adding to the problem.

Self help

My reflexologist has given me a hypnotherapy cd on relaxation so listened to that several times throughout the night.

Had a reflexology appointment yesterday. In the past have totally relaxed and gone into REM sleep almost immediately.

My therapist noticed that I only went into REM for a brief few minutes like my body was fighting it.

Observations

Following the reflexology appointment drank a lot of water. Had shivers and shaking. Immediately needed to eat something so that was positive as I have not wanted to eat.

Evening wasn't too bad I was at least calm.

Memory and concentration is effected .

4.30am cortisol call . Wow that was intense. Again listened to the relaxation cd through headphones. Managed to get through it and then dosed again until 7.30.

Took medication 1ml Prozac at 7.30.

Oh how I hope I stabilise on this dose.

Day 3-6

I've had a very scary few days.

Saturday evening ended up in urgent care centre of A and E at midnight. Was so anxious.

Reluctantly they prescribed me one diazepam to get me through the night and a script for Sunday. Told to go back to my gp.

Gp has referred me for councelling, said he can't force me but honestly beliefs it would help to increase Prozac to 2.5 ml.

Said I need to deal with the anxiety root before sleep will improve.

Told him my fears about the medication and all but said I was manifesting worriestobeanxious about.

Prescribed me another short course of sleeping tablets but said they were not the solution.

I have managed to get some more sleep than I was getting.

I fear waking up in the night and not being able to go back to sleep.

During the day there are some periods of calm , some agitation, some anxiety.

I am trying meditation, trying to distract myself .

My areas of anxiety are related to

Lack of security and knowledge of where I will be working when I return to work.

Fear over medication. That this is my life now.

Oh Reflex, I am so sorry you're having a bad time. I completely understand how you're feeling and how all the uncertainty is making you feel anxious and insecure. I know that things will work out for you and hopefully you will know something soon about your job.

My fear of medication is so very bad at the moment and consumes my life too. You are not alone.

Thinking of you

Africa

<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Reducing very slowly in February 2015.15

December 2015 was on 5 mg Paroxetine 4 days a week and 7.5 mg 3 days a week.

Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016  7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016   6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016   6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016  5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016  5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017  5.3 mg (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 20 February 2017  5 mg (it's taken me 2 year to get half way!!) (stayed on this dose for 4 months) 20 June 2017   4.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 5 months ) 27 November 2017   4.2 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 17 June 2018   3.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 22 January 2019   3.5 mg {stayed on this dose for 2 years) 16 January 2021   3.2 mg 

3 April 2021  3mg

No, you are not alone!  I have read your journal and can so relate to it!  I was keen to see how the Prozac switch worked and how the dr. told you you would be off it in a year.  Same as what my doc said.  How long has it been now?

I am so sorry when I read others' stories like these, none of us asked for this suffering.  At least I am grateful that I was able to warn my daughter who also suffered bullying and put on an a/d and she went off it and got counselling.  Not so with my son, however, who was put on citalopram.

Have you been able to stabilise since up-dose?  What are your thoughts now about the operation.  I was very interested to hear of your experience, as I had my gall bladder out which is supposed to be "easy, quick and simple" with recovery in 1-3 weeks!  I was in a bad, bad way for a good 8 months and bad for 13-14 months.  Like you, I kept saying I wish I never had it.  In fact, I had the eating issues you describe and I actuallyi don't think it was my gall at all but w/d.  How do you go with the protein shakes?  The Dr. put me on Sustagen, not sure if that is the same thing, but I couldn't tolerate it.  I tried a raw egg in milk and couldn't tolerate that either.  I am pleased to say that in the last few weeks (since holding) that the indigestion and GI issues are much improved.

How are things with you today?  I wish you peace and all the best for your recovery.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

Gp has referred me for councelling, said he can't force me but honestly beliefs it would help to increase Prozac to 2.5 ml.
Said I need to deal with the anxiety root before sleep will improve.
Told him my fears about the medication and all but said I was manifesting worriestobeanxious about.
Prescribed me another short course of sleeping tablets but said they were not the solution.

Reflex. I would be extremely cautious before taking these observations by your GP as being actual fact. For one thing, when doctor's don't know what else to do they often prescribe an increase in dose or a change of medication.

Secondly, sleep issues can be /usually are a direct result of withdrawal and this is one of the most common W/D symptoms. I had no anxiety whatsoever and I didn't sleep for close on 18 - 24 months. I'm sleeping 8 hrs or more now. I think it's a " cop -out " for the medical profession to assume this ( anxiety ) as being the cause. It is often / usually withdrawal that is causing the anxiety in the first place.

At least he was right with one observation : sleeping pills are not the answer.( even though he prescribed them )  :wacko:  If you can possibly give yourself time to get back into a " natural " sleep rhythm then that will give you the greatest chance for permanent drug - free sleep for the future as well as maximum healing  for the short and long term.

I fear waking up in the night and not being able to go back to sleep.

Try, if you can to have no fear. I always asked myself what is the worst that can happen ?  :unsure:  Have you tried guided sleep meditations ?

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

I hope you keep up with the meditation and if you struggle with that you might try " moving meditation" .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks Ali, Africa and Grandma D for your messages.

Grandma D I was interested in what you said about your gall bladder operation. When did this happen? Do you think you are over it now? Were you tapering when you had the operation?

I've been on Prozac for two years now. It did seem ok to taper as long as life was ok and little stress. I managed to work as a teacher and thought I was doing well.

Started to go down hill when my job was threatened in June.

The operation on sept 2nd, my daughter going to university, still the uncertainty about my job and fear that I am in withdraw has made me so anxious and unwell.

I updosed to 1. Ml and then to 1.5 ml. Waiting to see the impact.

I had hypnotherapy yesterday with a therapist who has been giving me reflexology for the last 6 years. It was soothing and she has given me some CDs to listen to help with relaxation. So when I woke early this morning just lay there listening to them on repeat.

Hope you all have a restful day

Reflex

• 2 weeks later...

Reflex,

Just wondering how are you doing?  Can you describe your symptoms at the moment?

Hope you're ok as we're getting worried.

Hugs,

JC

Major Life Events: