Pdg610 Pristiq withdrawal

Pdg610

My journey on antidepressants started 11 years ago...2003.  I was pregnant with my second child and my husband was having an affair. My doctor said I was at such a high risk for post partum depression I should start taking Zoloft six weeks before delivery.  I listened...oh if I could turn back time.

In the fall of 2008, I tapered off Zoloft.  I slowly decreased doses by cutting pills. I don't exactly remember the time frame.  But I do remember the aftermath...less than two months later I experienced the worst insomnia and anxiety of my entire life.  Back to the doctor..."You'll be on antidepressants the rest of your life.  Let's try a different one...oh that one doesn't work let's try another one...You have a chemical imbalance.  You need the medication...Let's try this new one, Pristiq"  I was so desperate to feel better I listened again.

I took Pristiq for 5 years.  I made a lot of positive changes in my life and was ready to come off Pristiq.  I asked my doctor  how to come off..."Skip a dose every third day for two weeks...then skip a dose every second day for two weeks...you'll get through it."  And I did (or so I thought), the withdrawal symptoms were mainly nausea, dizziness, problems concentrating.  I was making great strides in dealing with regular life problems, single mom two kids, two disabled parents, work, keeping it all together. 

In February of this year, it all came to a screeching, messy, disabling halt.  My stress level was pretty high.   I had a sinus infection, took Sudafed, didn't sleep more than an hour or two for a few weeks, which turned into a few months. The claws of insomnia and anxiety dug deep into my life.  I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating, I could barely make it through the day.  I was really, really scared. Back to the doctor..."You need the medication.  Start taking the Pristiq and until that kicks in take trazodone, take klonopin, take this other drug...

Seriously the doctor prescribed me four drugs...four drugs.  I knew I needed another doctor so I searched and searched for a psychiatrist to help me.  And not one who would prescribe me more drugs.  And I found her.  And again I am trying to taper off the Pristiq.  I am tapering by cutting the pills.  I'm getting acupuncture.  The psychiatrist recommended Sam-E.   

So here's really my question:  Is what I experienced both times I came off antidepressants a result of the drugs?  And how do I make sure it doesn't happen again?  Or do I just brace myself for it to happen again?

I know the post is long...Thank you for reading...I greatly appreciate your input and support.  It's comforting to know I'm not the only one on this journey! 

Started Pristiq in 2009

Weaned off in Fall of 2013 using skipping dose method advised by doctor

Intense anxiety, insomnia, weightloss in early 2014

Prescribed multiple meds including klonopin, trazodone and 50 mg Pristiq

Finally found a psychiatrist to help me withdraw

Reduced to larger half of 50mg on July 19

Reinstated to larger half and large 1/4 of 50mg on Aug 6

Reduced to larger half of 50 mg around Aug 30

Reduced to large quarter end of November

Slowly reducing with help of a scale

• Administrator

Welcome, Pdg.

How much Pristiq are you taking? How long have you been taking it this time around?

Yes, it does sound like you have withdrawal syndrome. Skipping doses of these drugs is a good way to trigger symptoms.

Please see this topic for tapering Pristiq http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your response Alto.  I am currently taking 1/2 of 50mg Pristiq.  My psychiatrist has given me the option to decrease to 1/4 of the tablet.  It's so hard to cut these darn things.  The dosing is so uneven.  And from everything I've read here it can cause problems.  She has also suggested bridging to Prozac which I'm considering.  How do you know what is right?  My previous experiences have scared me so much.  I don't want to relive that!

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pdg,

So here's really my question:  Is what I experienced both times I came off antidepressants a result of the drugs?  And how do I make sure it doesn't happen again?

You can avoid withdrawal syndrome by tapering slowly and carefully. Unfortunately what your doctor has suggested would be another 50% cut, which is too much, we recommend no more than 10%.

Pristiq is a difficult drug to taper, but please carefully read all the information in the link which Alto gave you, it explains everything you need to know related to getting off pristiq.  Some people switch to effexor, some switch to prozac and others manage to taper directly from pristiq.  The most important thing is not to make large cuts, to make changes slowly and to keep your nervous system stable.  We cant advise you what to do, but by reading about your options, you will be able to make a good decision, which we can then support you with.

Our member mogfish successfully tapered from pristiq using the cutting up method, her success story is here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6695-mogfish-successful-taper-directly-off-pristiq-using-cutting-up-method/

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi pdg

I replied to you on my thread, only read your thread after. So sorry you have been going through all this. I also started off on the skipping method, skipped every second day for about 10 days. It was awful. The worst was the constant buzz in my ears. Found this site and went changed to a taper. Took about 2 weeks to settle taking a regular dose daily.

My dr had told me to skip and was ok when I told her I had decided to cut, so that helped. Yet to tell her that I'm taking it slower than she suggested, have to get another prescription!

Sorry i can't give you any advice but I will be looking out for you as we walk this road together.

Take care

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

In your intro it says you are doing a direct taper but then you mentioned in another post about bridging to prozac and then tapering. Are you still doing a direct taper?  I hope you are feeling a little better. Pristiq is such a nasty drug. I've found some really great information on the sight and hopefully you can find some information that will help you as well.

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/1 - Started Pristiq 50mg

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening

I have decided to directly taper from pristiq. I've been at 25 mg (1/2 a 50mg) for over a month. The physical symptoms aren't too bad. It's the anxiety & fatigue that get me.

Has anyone tried Chinese herbs? The acupuncturist and the psychiatrist I'm working with have both suggested them.

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Administrator

Chinese herbs are an unknown, some people have bad reactions.

Do either your acupuncturist or psychiatrist have experience with withdrawal symptoms?

Alto -

I've spoken to both about the withdrawal symptoms.  The psychiatrist is definitely aware of them. But the acupuncturist is not well versed in the area. 

I'm getting to the point where I'm feeling pretty nervous about making another reduction.  This last one went pretty well and I've been holding for more than a month.  It's the fear of insomnia and relentless anxiety returning.  But I can't stand the feeling of an electrical force in my body and the ringing in my ears. 

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pgd,

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

How are you feeling now that you've been holding for a month?  Are you having any symptoms?  If you don't yet feel ready to make another, cut, there's nothing wrong with holding a little longer, in fact small cuts and long holds seem to increase the chances of remaining symptom free.

But on the other hand, if you do make a reduction and get unbearable symptoms which don't start to subside fairly quickly, you can always updose, re stabilize and try again.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Pdg, you might be better off with a smaller reduction. Given that you're splitting Pristiq tablets, measuring this is going to be difficult.

Thank you Alto.  I am going to hold at my current dose for awhile.  I contacted a compounding pharmacy that said they could make the Pristiq into smaller doses.  Now I have to get my doctor to write the prescription.  Wish me luck!

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Moderator Emeritus

Be calm and firm, look him in the eye and tell him what you need! .

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

How did the visit to the dr go? Hope better than my visit. I'm still emotionally shattered.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

I am sorry your visit didn't go well. It has become very apparent to me that most doctors are clueless. We are human guinea pigs for the doctors and drug companies. I haven't had mine yet. We shall see!

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Administrator

Pdg, can you recommend this doctor for tapering here http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v ?

Hi Pdg

Just checking how you are going

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Fuzzylogic -  Thankfully I am doing well.  Better and better...and sometimes not better.  My good days outnumber the not so good!  I'm currently at 1/4 in the morning and less than 1/4 in the evening.  I haven't gone back to the psychiatrist so I haven't asked for the compounding script.  I started taking magnesium, the kind that dissolves in water.  It does seem to help.  My biggest complaints right now are ringing in the ears (has always been there since starting Pristiq) and the shakiness. And the occasional heart beating in the ears.  This process has taught me a lot about paying attention to my body and also believing in myself. 

I know we are on our way to better long term health by getting off these meds.  And I try to tell myself, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming!"

Started Pristiq in 2009

Pdg610 - That's so great that your taper is going well. How long have you been at 1/4 and 1/4? I hope things continue go well and you can find ways to reduce the side effects. I also upped my magnesium but it's with a spray that I ordered. It also works amazingly well for sore muscles too I found out. I love Finding Nemo and you are right about "just keep swimming, just keep swimming." Everyday we are one day closer to much better long term health.

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/1 - Started Pristiq 50mg

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening

So the last few days have been pretty hard. High anxiety, low energy, and a two day headache. I keep reminding myself that this will pass but it gets pretty hard at 3:30 am when my head feels like it's going to explode. I was able to get back to sleep, thankfully. It's a dull ache now.

I have a question: what is it that makes me feel like my body has an electric pulse going through it? It is the most noticeable when I first wake up. And when I'm sitting at my desk at work on the afternoon.

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Administrator

Are you able to take an aspirin or other analgesic when you have a headache?

Magnesium can also be helpful for a headache.

Thank you Alto. 

I took alternating doses of Advil and Tylenol.  Thankfully, the headache went away after two days. 

I was monitoring my blood pressure during this time also.  Two months ago my blood pressure was 100/60 and I would get light headed when I stood up.  Doctor decreased meds....blood pressure fine.  For the last several days it was anywhere from 170/100 to 130/85. 

I'm not sure if the headache was related to the blood pressure or not, but it seems too coincidental. 

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Administrator

The autonomic nervous system, which is affected by withdrawal, governs blood pressure.

• 4 weeks later...

I decreased a small amount this week. It really is amazing how small decreases can have big impacts: dizziness, crying, general apathy.

It gets scary sometimes. It appears that other people experience this too and intuitively I know it's the process. Just totally stinks!

Started Pristiq in 2009

• Administrator

How much did you decrease?

I stopped taking the 1/8 pill in the evening. I'm taking 1/4 in the morning. It measures about .12g on a scale.

Started Pristiq in 2009

Seem we are at the same place in our taper. I've also struggled with the drop of the 1/8 to only a 1/4.

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• 4 weeks later...

So I continue on this tapering journey...It seems I come back here when I'm on a wave.  Honestly, the last month has been pretty good, even with the holidays.  But that all seemed to come to screeching halt on Sunday.  Maybe it's post-holiday blues, maybe it's a wave.  My mood is really low and so is my energy.  The anxiety has returned.  I'm trying to take care of myself, be gentle with myself, let the wave pass.  It gets hard in this space to remember what's on the other side of the wave.

Anyone experience the panic/anxiety when the lows come?  How do you cope?

Peace,

pdg610

Started Pristiq in 2009

Hi Pdg610

I've not visited for a while. Sorry to hear you are struggling. I held on 1/4 for a month then went down to an 1/8th and struggled on that as I don't think a was getting a consistent dose. It felt like I was play Russian Roulette with my nervous system. On Boxing Day I woke up and decided that I had had enough and didn't take another dose. Will update my intro shortly. My biggest problem was and still is a very short fuse.thankfully no headaches.

Every drop I made took a while to settle, sure things will improve.

Take care

Fuzzy

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

I need some advice.  I dropped to 1/4 tablet at the end of November.  I'm only taking it once a day.  I was doing pretty well until a week and a half ago.  I started to feel a little off, dizzy, tired, excessive ringing in the ears.  My energy is down and my mood is really low. 

Question:  should I reinstate to where I was before?  Should I try to divide the dose to twice a day?

I'm really at a loss and getting pretty frustrated :(

Started Pristiq in 2009

Hi Pdg

Sorry you're struggling on 1/4. Are you getting a consistent dose? You might be getting too much coating one day and more Pristiq the next day. I was ok on that dose, so not sure what to advise, maybe try splitting the dose and taking twice a day.

Do you take in the morning or afternoon? Do you feel any better after taking?

Hope you are feeling better today

Take care

fuzzy

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Fuzzy-

Thanks for responding and congrats on stopping!  I'm feeling a bit better so I'm going to hold here for a while.  I am measuring my doses on a scale but the coating could have an impact.  I've never thought about that.  I might try splitting the dose in two.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

Take care -

pdg

Started Pristiq in 2009

Thanks, early days still, hope I don't have to reinstate.

I also weighed and took in a capsule as the tablet breaks up so easily. I had considered crushing the tablet but wasn't sure if that would totally destroy any slow release that still remained.

Let us know how it goes.

fuzzy

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• Administrator

pdg, you might re-read Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

At low doses of Pristiq, it's possible you could use a little Effexor XR to go off completely.

• 1 month later...

It is so interesting to me how stressful situations can set off a wave.  All is well until stress hits and then wham, right back down the hole.  I keep reminding myself that it's not as bad as it was but it is really hard.  Especially when the intrusive thoughts come.  I'm still learning to accept them as just thoughts.   I've always been such a literal person. 

Started Pristiq in 2009