LAgurl1997: Hello everyone - new here (tapering Effexor XR)

LAgurl1997

Hello everyone - boy am I glad to have found this forum.

I am in midst of my tapering off of my Effexor XR -- currently at 37.5mg, and have been for about 3 weeks; and my next plan is the 10% taper, so down to about 33mg. 

I was taking as much as 300mg a day (150 morning, then at night) and have over the years (started in 2006) tapered down. 

I realized few years ago that I do not want to be on this med - but was sort of lost and confused about the best way to taper as doctors more often than not give a pretty "swift' schedule of tapering off, and my initial was down from 75 to 37.5mg and I experienced so much physical side effects, I was wondering if this was how it would be for the rest of my taper. 

My friend introduced me to the 10% taper and she said it has worked out great for her, and is worth the extra few months it may tack on. I agree. 

One of the reasons I want to get off is because if I want to be pregnant in the future, I don't want to rush off of it, and also I don't think the meds are doing me much of anything anymore -- all it is is just creating fear within me of "what if I forget to take it" "what if I forget to bring it with me" -- why be on it?

I have been feeling much of the side effects -- the anxiety, brain zaps, crying spell, aggression, loss of concentration - started blaming myself, and having those days where you don't want to do anything.

I just wanted somewhere I can go and discuss this -- because not everyone will understand, and it is very hard to distinguish between the side effects and what is going on within me. 

I would appreciate any and all kind of insight, advice and just a listening ear :)

Thank you!

Effexor - started in 2006

Gradually worked up to dose of 150mg x 2 in a day (work stress, moving, etc.)

Lessened the dose to about 75mg~150mg a day in the past few years, and currently at 37.5mg.

Planning a 10% taper - next taper to 33mg in the next few weeks or as body adjusts. 

Nov 2014 - back up to 75 mg, will try to taper down once I adjust to this amount. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LAgurl, welcome to SA. Congratulations on tapering down from 300mg, that is a very high dose!

I don't know how your friend is tapering but 10% is what we advise too, but it is 10% of the current dose.

This means that the cuts get smaller as the dose decreases.  It seems that the 50% drop from 75 to 37.5

was too much for you and has destabilised your nervous system. You can either stick it out and wait for

the withdrawal to pass or updose a little to try and halt the withdrawal. How long is it since you cut to 37.5?

I have been tapering effexor for over 2 years and am too familiar with the withdrawal from a cut that was too big!

I think if I were in your shoes now I would go up a little and see if that helps.  When you have stabilised 

you could start the slow taper.  There are several of us here who are counting beads to taper effexor by opening

the capsule and taking out beads.  Here is a link for you specifically for tapering effexor. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

I would help if you could put your med history in your signature, here is how to do that. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you so much.... :)

It is uncomfortable but it is worth it, I feel like I am peeled grape -- but it's something I NEED to do.

I adjusted my signature as advised!

Lessened the dose to about 75mg~150mg a day in the past few years, and currently at 37.5mg.

Planning a 10% taper - next taper to 33mg in the next few weeks or as body adjusts. 

Nov 2014 - back up to 75 mg, will try to taper down once I adjust to this amount. 

Hi everyone - I posted few days ago, I am on my way to tapering myself off of Effexor XR after being on it for 8years.

I am at 37.5mg now and it's been about 3 weeks+ since I went down to that dose.

My withdrawal is starting -- especially with the depression, negative thoughts, feeling like I can't be around people.

I am taking multivitamin, fish oil, and some other supplements to cope with the brain zaps and it seems to be OK.

My negative thoughts are getting to me.

I am literally having to talk myself out of feeling bad - and everyday I wake up with a pit in my stomach.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LAgurl,

I moved your new post to your introduction thread, its one thread per member in the intro section.  You can use this as your ongoing journal, adding to it as you go.

I'm sorry that you are starting to experience withdrawal symptoms, as MammaP wrote, you have probably been tapering too fast.  What dose were you at when you cut to 37.5?

Many of us are here because we tapered too fast while believing we were doing it right.  We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this post which will explain why:

http://survivinganti...0-of-my-dosage/

You might want to consider updosing, or at the very least, hold until you are feeling better.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I was at 75mg.

My friend just introduced me to the 10% reduction and I am so glad to have found that my is -- my doctor suggested I go down to 20mg, which is almost 50%!

I don't want to updose -- as I am determined to get through this but I might take a small dosage to get me through the bad thoughts and depression-like symptoms I am starting to get.

I can't identify my own thoughts and feelings VS the side effects anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus

Its not surprising that you're getting some withdrawal symptoms, that was a 50% cut, it may take a while before your nervous system settles down from that, possibly months.

I don't want to updose -- as I am determined to get through this but I might take a small dosage to get me through the bad thoughts and depression-like symptoms I am starting to get.

This is not a good idea:

2.c. Do not jump around in dosage. For most drugs, it takes about 4 days for the change to fully register in your system.

the nervous system does best in a stable environment. Help your nervous system adapt to life without drugs by maintaining as much stability as you can. This is the way you can take care of yourself and help your nervous system to recover.

Please read through our page about the basics of safe tapering here:

Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable

I'm glad your friend told you about the safe 10% method of tapering, now you have the opportunity to save yourself from possibly months of suffering.  Take your time, learn about tapering, learn about your options and the risks, and you'll be able to make educated decisions for yourself.

I can't identify my own thoughts and feelings VS the side effects anymore.

With a recent 50% cut in your dose, I would expect most of what you are experiencing now is withdrawal.  Withdrawal symptoms are very real, and physical in nature, due to the absence of a chemical your body has become dependent on, you can't think these symptoms away. 

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Petu,

I so appreciate your reply and insight and advice.

I won't up the dosage, I will stay the course and stick with the same dosage for at least 2 more weeks and see how I do, I will go week to a week.

Thank you so much, I am trying to just live day by day, and today seems OK so far..... :)

• 1 month later...

I unfortunately had to up my dosage from 37.5 mg back to 75mg.

I tried to stay on 37.5 for as long as I could, and it's been about 2 months, but my anxiety and depression was interfering with my life. 

My job concentration was suffering, I didn't do anything on my days off, it was becoming bad.

I figured, I can always taper a little bit in a few months, and that this is not the end all be all of the tapering, it is not that I failed, I just have to start again.

Considering that I started out with almost 300mg, then back down to 150mg, 75mg is OK at this point. 

I am figuring out some issues that were NOT dealt with from long ago -- that I thought was gone -- come up during my time trying taper down.

It's just strategizing again, and trying again. 

• Administrator

Hello, LAgurl. I moved your post here to update your topic.

Don't be discouraged. Patience is the key.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
I figured, I can always taper a little bit in a few months, and that this is not the end all be all of the tapering, it is not that I failed, I just have to start again.

Considering that I started out with almost 300mg, then back down to 150mg, 75mg is OK at this point. 

Yes I completely agree, you learned what not to do, so next time you can do something different.  How are you feeling now?

When you are stable again and feeling well, possibly in a couple of months, I suggest you read our tips for tapering effexor and try again using the 10% method.

Do stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary