SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

crazykatie: my withdrawal from an antipsychotic

crazykatie

Hi my name is Katie. I have been reading this forum about 7 hours a day for the past two weeks. It has been truly a Godsend. I don't feel so alone now.
I am 7 weeks off the antipsychotic invega. I quit ct as I was lactating, numb, a shell of myself, n had a significant prolactin level. It was done for me!! I had no option of tapering bc my shrink was dead set that I could NEVER go off meds. I started invega after over 50+ shock therapy treatments that temporarily relieved my suicidal depression. It was hell. Please read my history to know my whole story.
I was fine for the first four weeks of discontinuation of the invega. Then I had to file a lawsuit against my former employer, I got a letter in the mail informing me that I was wanted for failure to appear, I was in a serious car accident in June was evidently given two tickets that I never got, in fact the ambulance left just as the cops came, n then suddenly intense panic attacks started gradually with insomnia. I forgot to realize as writing this that my first week of withdrawal, it was very similar to what I know as opiate withdrawal. Hellacious
I started seeing a therapist in April. Been working on dealing with the real conditions that put me on these meds n the first place.
I have read where menopausal women often mistake their hormone influence or lack of being mistaken for mental illness.
Since stopping the invega, I have been surged with hormones. My doctors also believe that this supposed weeks delay onset of panic has actually been a result of stopping the invega which suppresses hormones, which could then possibly result in hyperthyroidism. Just a thought for all women. Also I am 36.
I know there aren't a lot of people on here that have experienced the wd from antipsychotics. However, I believe unlike one individual here that the wd is pretty much the same as ad.
I am here for support n also for others who are stopping antipsychotics. I am appalled by the psychiatric treatment out there n the practice of polypharmacutology however you spell it. These shrinks are damaging people. Most articles that have studied these psych meds state that these meds are only to be taken for short periods of time. Not like my shrink who convinvced me I had to take these medications for life. I never would have thought about stopping any of them bc the fear he installed in me that I couldn't function without them. Instead, many of us just need intense psychotherapy to deal with our emotions while I totally do believe that I wouldn't have survived without treatment of these meds, if it was ever suggested to me that I start therapy, then I would've n probably not been on meds for 7 years manipulating how my mind works just like the illegal drugs I was doing!! ?
Thank you for this site. I have hope n support n other people going through the same thing.

Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition

Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.

11 weeks ago I qt quit invega

10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Progress not perfection!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crazykatie

• Altostrata

• luv2knit

• primrose

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the forum.   Many of us have been told one way or another that we will be on drugs for life and many of us are disproving that as we speak.

I dont know much about antipsychotics - sorry.   But happy to be on your cheersquad.

what are your current symptoms, have they changed since you C/T'd

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

It is panic attacks. I have constant shortness of breath n chest pain. I get really sweaty, heart palpitations, muscle tightness, a like thunderclap headache, severe pressure in my ears which feels like my eardrums are going to rupture, tremors, dizziness, feeling faint, trouble talking n imbalance.

It is all very possible that I am in chronic shortness of breath n chest pain bc I'm constantly on edge of an attack happening again. I get them at night to the point I'm scared to close my eyes in fear I'm going to die.

This came on gradually. Three weeks ago a couple of times a week, two weeks ago four times n so far since Saturday, every night. I was finally able to sleep this morning at like 4 n I slept until 5 this evening. I didn't wake up with the chest pain or shortness of breath. But it did gradually come back within hours.

Really I can't say enough, especially after researching a ton on the web n support sites that the withdrawal from ap is no different than ad. After all they both really do the same thing, change how your brain works.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

I have read all of the symptoms n self care posts n I haven't had any luck with finding anyone who had the same problem n how to change it. I'm in a 24/7 chronic onset of panic attacks. I always have chest pain, heart palpitations n shortness of breath.

I used to do yoga n Pilates three times a week. I listen to ambient music, use chamomile n lavender aromatherapy n try to deep breath. However, if I try to focus on my breathing, short, long, shallow or deep I start to feel like I'm suffocating n it only exacerbates the problem? My therapist n I tried the meditation for dummies CD last night, it was horrible. Only got 2 min into it.

Any one else experience that.

Also considering hypnotherapy. Has anyone tried the self hypnosis videos online?? . Did they work? There was no mention of the self administered way.

Has anyone tried a mayofascial massage therapy. I can't get anything to release all the toxin build up from the last almost four weeks. I use heat, ice. I actually even covered my whole body with icy hot twice this week.

HELP!!

• Administrator

Welcome, ck.

It does sound like the dysregulation of withdrawal syndrome is adding to what you're calling panic attacks.

How much Invega were you taking? Was the lactation a side effect or were you a new mother?

A very low dose might help you at this point, it comes in a range of dosages, starting at 1.5mg http://www.drugs.com/pro/invega.html

By reinstating a very low dose, you might be able to reduce withdrawal symptoms and not suffer adverse effects, as they ten to be dosage-related. That would leave you to figure out how to reduce from 1.5mg Invega -- there's no way, really, to get a smaller dosage.

Or, you might substitute Invega's cousin, Risperidal liquid, stabilize, and taper off that.

Please read Tips for tapering off Invega (paliperidone)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi guys! I'm just checking back in with some good news. I was taking 9 mg of invega. I stopped taking my wellbutrin ct on last Wednesday. I was put on Wellbutrin to counteract the chronic zombie like feeling I had on Invega. I already knew that wellbutrin could also increase anxiety so I stopped.

I went to my new shrink last Friday. The second visit, he angrily asked if I even wanted his help bc I'm doing this all on my own. He told me to go back on the invega. I responded quickly with that is NOT even an option. He wants me to go on seroquel. I 've taken seroquel in the past on an as needed basis never two days in a row even. He wanted me to start at 50 n then increase to 100. Again these shrinks always want you to take another pill. Ugh!!

I was delirious from no sleep, no food, muscle tension n anxiety. On Friday night, I succumbed n took 50 mg. I also took 1.5 xanax n 2 kava kava pills. I also bought some magnesium that night in effort to get rid of this intense n very painful muscle tension. I went to bed at 9:30pm n slept till 7pm on Saturday. The muscle tension had let up quite a bit from just one dose. My anxiety was no where as near it has been either. So this weekend, I took my kava kava, 1.5 mg of xanax, magnesium n 150 mg of trazadone. Only took the seroquel on Friday night. I slept all weekend. In fact a lot I feel so much better. I had the initial week of withdrawal when quitting cold turkey. But it didn't last three weeks. The later wd was the worst of it.

I'm still on Prozac 40mg, lamotrigine 300mg, . Xanax 1.5 down from 3mg, trazadone 150 mg.

I feel great now. I can sleep, eat, relax, clean, even leave my house. The bell was worth it if only to get off the invega but add to that I went off wellbutrin bc of the anxiety it caused, in my HMO, I feel a step closer to life without these drugs!!

Thanks for all the info on this site. It has really aided me n still continues to encourage me that my hope of being free from psych drugs, can in fact be reality. Much love, many hugs n tons of hope for those still suffering!!

*staff note: this post was moved from the Invega tapering topic

From my experience, please do taper. I had a withdrawal within three days of ct stop, it was very similar to people withdrawing from heroin. I don't use heroin, but from what I know from friend's who have n other recoveries,it is the EXACT same symptoms. Only my anxiety n panic were so intense that some days, I don't know if invega is a real legal drug, the wd is just like alcohol, drugs, etc. I somehow knew nothing about this occurring upon stopping. I was one of the ones that the shrink told that would never be able to live without meds. Put on disability bc I couldn't handle life.
I suffer from depression. I know that. I also know that there is an underlying cause of my depression. I was sexually molested by an uncle starting at age 4-8. I was molested by a neighbor at 9. I was sodomized by my best friend's brother n his four friends with a wrench at 11. At fourteen, I was raped at a party where I'm sure others heard my screams. All of this was NEVER addressed by my shrink. I was just suddenly bipolar with never any symptoms of mania.
I really wish that I would've been told to get into therapy asap instead of these meds. I was on invega for 7 years. It changed, numbed me n took away my sense of self. I was damaged in the brain. I was forced to take these meds bc my shrink insisted I HAVE to take these forever.
The withdrawal is hard n antagonizing. It makes you think that you really do have been to take these meds. One thing that kept me from going back on was the fact n realization that this wasn't a return of my supposed bipolar bc I NEVER had this anxiety. I was never depressed or had my suicidal thoughts return,the whole reason I started to take it. Keep your head up. Get a shrink that will help you. I found a new one. I went to him n was flat out honest about the fact that my ultimate goal is to go off all psych meds. I'm still on two.
Please don't quit all your meds ct at the same time. From experience, you could very easily end up in the psych ward.
Please feel free to contact me at anytime if you are going through this drug. Also fyi invega is risperdal but a longer acting form. I don't want to get in trouble but I read it online. In my mind invega is just another way for big pharma to make more money. Lord knows how much money my doc got for every time I picked up the $956 drug that's with insurance!!!
Best to all. There is hope. I promise.

Edited by Petu
added note

• Administrator

ck, good to hear you're feeling better.

Your nervous system still had a shock from your quitting Invega. Please do what you can to keep all your medications stable for a good long while, maybe a few months, before making another change.

In the meantime, you are still on an unusual combination of drugs. Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

You might also want to find a new doctor, one who respects your desire to minimize your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Altostrata. Thank you so much for all the knowledge you have shared about tapering. I have a few more questions.

I quit invega CT 7 weeks ago. I experienced an initial wd similar to opiate wd for a week three days following my last dose. In addition, I completely CT stopped wellbutrin 300mg last Wednesday. I had a horrible protracted wd following 4 weeks being off the invega. Shrink put me on 100 mg of seroquel. I did take 50 mg last Friday bc I had been up for several days n HAD to sleep or risk going back to the psych ward where my shrink would've most likely put me back on the invega or do ect again. Anyways.

I'm still on the following.

Prozac 40 mg

Lamotrigine 300 mg

Xanax 3 mg -- typically take 1.5 prior to wd n now after wd is over

150 mg of trazadone

Also have fosamax for my osteoporosis, antibiotic for a blood clot in my sinus's n bc pill -- not worried about these.

I feel great right now. Feel like my old self.

However, I do want to be rid of all psych meds. What I don't know is how long should I wait to start tapering the Prozac since as you suggested in your post to do those first? I got 20 mg from my gp so I can taper down to that but honestly I'm one of the people that would prefer ct method. If I'm gonna have wd while tapering anyways, I just assume going from the 40 to the 20 n then off is going to be a typical CT wd but it didn't last forever for me n I made it through them with others.

What do you recommend?

Also part of me is conflicted, bc I do know how good I feel. I still have that fear that the shrink put in me that I might actually need these meds. I HATE this feeling. Please help. Or anyone else with experience in this would be greatly appreciated.

"Anything is possible, if you believe"

Hi CK

I'm not Alto, so I will leave her to advise you on what to taper and when, she's seen loads of people come through these doors over a much longer time than me.

I did a CT on Diazepam in 2009 though, and it took me another five years to get off diazepam, (the taper was punctuated with menopause, unbeknownst to me at the time, hence the long taper, similar symptoms etc)

CT isn't quicker, it's slower, it keeps you out of commission longer, due to the intensity and recovery time and gertting over the shock to the body.

To CT Xanax, would be dangerous, maybe, even life threatening, it's not a drug to be ct'd.

On here, it is advised that we taper one drug at a time, and wait to recover before starting another taper.

I didn't listen to the above though, because I was imapatient. I tapered trazodone from 300mg to 150mg and seroquel from 100mg to 25mg and there was an overlap, because I hadn't planned to taper these yet.

It just sorta happened. I never got any physical withdrawals but I have been believing fake fears I have to be true, causing myself loads of unnecessary heartache.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

Thanks Primrose!!

I know ct is not advised. However, I do not have the option of a doctor willing to taper these meds down. I've been searching since Spring. The new shrink I found is not gonna work with me either. So the only thing I can do is ct. I made it through the invega wd. I tried to quit prozac shortly before. I was clueless as to what was happening. I gave up four days into my wd n started right back up.

I have a deep n dark sexual trauma filled childhood that I have never dealt with until April or May. I see a therapist twice a week. She's fantastic. She supports my decision n is helping me through the emotional depression of the traumas.

I understand also that I may HAVE to be on my psych meds a little longer than what I wanted. I am ok with that even if that equates to a couple more years on them.

I am just very unsure of when I should take the next step with the prozac.

Too bad I don't live in CA where there is an extensive list of medical providers willing to aid in your tapering off these meds. I've thought about going to a well known one in NC. I would only have to go once - I'm over 10 hours away- but he just then works with tapering via phone. I am still considering him.

I'm not even anywhere near worried about the xanax yet.

Primrose, my shrink told me that trazadone was not at all addictive or habit forming. Well I wonder why I can't sleep without it then. Lies!!

There are too many for me to write. I don't know how to copy a webpage n put it into a post. I'm trying this. I don't know if it will work though.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1430-0,2228-0,190-1645,116-46,1044-6727,1115-648&types%5B%5D=major&types%5B%5D=minor&types%5B%5D=moderate&types%5B%5D=food

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CK,

I moved your new topic in tapering to your introduction thread because its a continuation of a discussion about your own circumstances.  This is your thread to use as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

However, I do want to be rid of all psych meds. What I don't know is how long should I wait to start tapering the Prozac since as you suggested in your post to do those first? I got 20 mg from my gp so I can taper down to that but honestly I'm one of the people that would prefer ct method. If I'm gonna have wd while tapering anyways, I just assume going from the 40 to the 20 n then off is going to be a typical CT wd but it didn't last forever for me n I made it through them with others.
What do you recommend?

I'm also not Alto but here is what she suggested in an earlier post:

Your nervous system still had a shock from your quitting Invega. Please do what you can to keep all your medications stable for a good long while, maybe a few months, before making another change.

You may feel ok now, but if you continue the way you are with stopping these drugs by going CT, you could become very sick for a long time.  Our nervous system can take only so much stress, once it reaches its limit, then things go south very fast and there is no quick fix.

Please see the Important Topics in Tapering for more information including details about how to taper prozac.

And here's another important read which explains our basic method of tapering:  Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?

Katie, you don't need a doctor to help you with tapering, as long as you have one who will continue to prescribe and will cooperate.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Katie, Some people have gotten full doses of drug from their doctor and then taken portions as they have tapered. But I agree with Petu that you have little chance of succeeding unless you slow down...actually stop for a good long while.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

My doctor wouldnt support my tapering and told me to just stop C/T. I did and suffered withdrawal so

reinstated then collected my script every month and tapered on my own.

The doctor said I needed it for the rest of my life so I had no choice but to do it myself! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks Primrose!!

I know ct is not advised. However, I do not have the option of a doctor willing to taper these meds down. I've been searching since Spring. The new shrink I found is not gonna work with me either. So the only thing I can do is ct. I made it through the invega wd. I tried to quit prozac shortly before. I was clueless as to what was happening. I gave up four days into my wd n started right back up.

I have a deep n dark sexual trauma filled childhood that I have never dealt with until April or May. I see a therapist twice a week. She's fantastic. She supports my decision n is helping me through the emotional depression of the traumas.

I understand also that I may HAVE to be on my psych meds a little longer than what I wanted. I am ok with that even if that equates to a couple more years on them.

I am just very unsure of when I should take the next step with the prozac.

Too bad I don't live in CA where there is an extensive list of medical providers willing to aid in your tapering off these meds. I've thought about going to a well known one in NC. I would only have to go once - I'm over 10 hours away- but he just then works with tapering via phone. I am still considering him.

I'm not even anywhere near worried about the xanax yet.

Primrose, my shrink told me that trazadone was not at all addictive or habit forming. Well I wonder why I can't sleep without it then. Lies!!

Hi CK

Xanax is a minor tranquiliser, but it is notorious to come off suddenly.

Anti psychs are classed as major tranquilisers but, this title is mis-leading in the context of a withdrawal.

Can you not tell your psych, you are not tapering, and you want to hold your dose, then, come on here and the lovely people on here will support you to do a safe taper, that way, your supply of benzo is not threatened?

Heather Ashton, in her work on how to withdraw from benzos safely says, you are in control of your own body, not the doctor. They don't have to suffer the withdrawals.

People have cold turkeyed off xanax, but it is very not recommended as it is a huge risk. Xanax is much stronger and quicker acting, than, say, diazepam.

Please re-think before cold turkeying xanax, or any other drug, for that matter, because none of them are meant to be suddenly stopped, benzos being the most important  not to stop.

As you have got emotional trauma, the last thing you need is a cold turkey off xanax.

Check with Alto as I am not experienced enough, but, I think on here, they advise you to taper the more stimulating drugs first, so you have the cushion of the more sedating drugs while you taper.

I know there are some benzo friendly doctors in the US and that people have even gone to another state to register with a doctor there.

I think, you can go to any Emergency room, and tell them you are in benzo withdrawal if your shrink is being a d*ck abou it.

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

There are too many for me to write. I don't know how to copy a webpage n put it into a post. I'm trying this. I don't know if it will work though.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1430-0,2228-0,190-1645,116-46,1044-6727,1115-648&types%5B%5D=major&types%5B%5D=minor&types%5B%5D=moderate&types%5B%5D=food

I also hear you about trazodone, that has to be tapered slowly as well, I would be a mess after a few days if I stopped.

I have a shrink now. The last thing I'm worried about going off is the xanax. I know this forum is about stopping meds but after thinking for awhile. I think I'm just gonna stay on the meds I am currently taking for about four more months n then revaluate the situation, where I'm at emotionally and what stresses I have.

I am on disability currently so I'm able to be up with insomnia n all the other side effects. I don't know how people can actually work while in withdrawal. My hats are off to them.

Is it ok to still come n post to this site if I'm delaying in the tapering of my other meds?

Thanks to all.

Yes! Of course it's ok!! ????

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I guess those of us that are on drug cocktails have sometimes years to get off all these meds!

It takes a lot of patience, but it can be done. Your time will come!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I have hope. You guys give me hope. I'm just wondering if anyone on the forum has had to remain on some medications after getting off some. I hope I don't have to but I'm willing to accept the fact that I may have to. I hope not though.

I looked into a naturopathic specialist here. However, she does not accept insurance at all. At $195, for a SINGLE visit, that's not an option.

I have a shrink now. The last thing I'm worried about going off is the xanax. I know this forum is about stopping meds but after thinking for awhile. I think I'm just gonna stay on the meds I am currently taking for about four more months n then revaluate the situation, where I'm at emotionally and what stresses I have.

I am on disability currently so I'm able to be up with insomnia n all the other side effects. I don't know how people can actually work while in withdrawal. My hats are off to them.

Is it ok to still come n post to this site if I'm delaying in the tapering of my other meds?

Thanks to all.

Hi Katie

I'm sure it's fine to come on here for support.

I've done it in the times when I have held off my tapers.

I think you have made a good decision to wait regarding tapering any more at this stage.

Well as of this week, the depression is setting in. It has been 8 days since the wellbutrin ct. I had worked my way down from 450 mg to 150 mg. I stopped last week bc I think it was adding to my anxiety since it acts as a stimulant. I started back on b12 today. I was pretty good on Monday. Showered, put on make up, fixed my hair n got out of the house n visited a friend for about 6 hours.

However since Tuesday, I can't even force myself to shower, run my errands that are very important n need to be done ASAP. My appetite is still not back. I have to take my trazadone to even eat. I'm a total bia.

I forced myself out of the house today to visit a friend n I needed to fill out some forms online for a job I applied for. I've had the forms since Monday. Just couldn't force myself to complete them even though I really want to work there part time. I've been looking into babysitting as well. I love kids but unfortunately can't have my own.

I'm deadest on showering today. I can't now bc I don't want to miss the call from the lady from the place I applied. So hopefully, after 5 I can still have the motivation to shower.

I'm debating going back to 150 mg of wellbutrin. I really don't want to. But my depression is really bad, suicide is my only way out when I get that down, I don't want to go back to that place. I know I'll end up back in the psych ward. Not an option.

I really want to try a holistic or naturopathic doctor. However, none of them take insurance and the starting price for the cheapest one here is $200 a visit. I don't know how they expect people to pay for it!! Help it seems is only available to those with quite a bit of disposable income. It's so disheartening.

Anyways. I hope tomorrow is better. Gotta stay positive.

Well as of this week, the depression is setting in. It has been 8 days since the wellbutrin ct. I had worked my way down from 450 mg to 150 mg. I stopped last week bc I think it was adding to my anxiety since it acts as a stimulant. I started back on b12 today. I was pretty good on Monday. Showered, put on make up, fixed my hair n got out of the house n visited a friend for about 6 hours.

However since Tuesday, I can't even force myself to shower, run my errands that are very important n need to be done ASAP. My appetite is still not back. I have to take my trazadone to even eat. I'm a total bia.

I forced myself out of the house today to visit a friend n I needed to fill out some forms online for a job I applied for. I've had the forms since Monday. Just couldn't force myself to complete them even though I really want to work there part time. I've been looking into babysitting as well. I love kids but unfortunately can't have my own.

I'm deadest on showering today. I can't now bc I don't want to miss the call from the lady from the place I applied. So hopefully, after 5 I can still have the motivation to shower.

I'm debating going back to 150 mg of wellbutrin. I really don't want to. But my depression is really bad, suicide is my only way out when I get that down, I don't want to go back to that place. I know I'll end up back in the psych ward. Not an option.

I really want to try a holistic or naturopathic doctor. However, none of them take insurance and the starting price for the cheapest one here is $200 a visit. I don't know how they expect people to pay for it!! Help it seems is only available to those with quite a bit of disposable income. It's so disheartening.

Anyways. I hope tomorrow is better. Gotta stay positive.

Hi Katie

Sorry to hear your depression has set in.

I am no expert on AD tapers, but it may be that you might want to go back on the wellbutrin and taper slower when you fele better, - maybe ask Alto or one of the others regarding this, though, as I would not want to give you bad advice.

I am sorry you are feeling suicidal.

It is disheartening when money comes into healthcare, healthcare should be free.

I am not suicidal. YET. With seeing that I'm starting to have depressive symptoms n signs, makes me panic even more. I'm so afraid of going back to the suicidal depression, that was why my doc put me on the ap invega.

I started taking rhodiola again today. It is supposed to help with anxiety n depression. I have also been contemplating trying a colon cleanse. I've read that the detox programs for withdrawal of psych drugs can use chelation therapy. This is where they put an iv in n detox the body. However, it can causes serious side effects especially poisoning. I've found it online in pill form. However, a good friend of mine who knows supplements n herbs uses suggesting not trying it.

The liver cleanse I'm a little reluctant on too. I don't have an appetite as is. The only time I eat is after I take my trazadone. Then I binge. I used to be a very healthy eater lots of fruit n a ton of veggies with minimal carbs n no processed foods. I never get enough protein except the 4 gallons of milk I drink a week.

I had therapy today. I found a clinic that is focused on all aspects of your health. Emotional, physical n mental. I showed my therapist the site. She said absolutely not. Body manipulation is not suggested for those with osteoporosis. The other techniques of emotional freedom release and mindfulness is too much for me to take at one time. Too much trauma she said.

I've also just started another round of that terrible drug prednisone. I'm so nasally congested that I feel like my eardrums may rupture at any given moment. My therapist also suggested that may also be the reason why deep breathing doesn't work for me. So ill just make my bones even more fragile.

Does anyone have experience with rhodiola? Also what about colon cleanses? I would love to just qt the meds I still take n use the liver cleanse!!

As of now I'm taking the following supplements:

Magnesium 250mg

Vitamin D3 10,000 mg

B12

Kava kava

Rhodiola as of today.

Wish you all a good weekend free from symptoms even if just for hours!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone have experience with rhodiola? Also what about colon cleanses? I would love to just qt the meds I still take n use the liver cleanse!!

As of now I'm taking the following supplements:

Magnesium 250mg

Vitamin D3 10,000 mg

B12

Kava kava

Rhodiola as of today.

Wish you all a good weekend free from symptoms even if just for hours!!

Some members have had bad reactions to rhodiola, it can be activating in low doses and especially in a sensitized nervous system.  Why are you considering colon and liver cleanses?

I looked at the results from the link you posted for your drugs in the interactions checker.  There are some major interactions and some moderate ones. Its not surprising you aren't feeling well. If I were you, I would do my best to stop making changes, settle your nervous system down and learn about how to safely taper from these medications.  It may take a while, but once you start to lower the dose of all these toxic drugs, and begin to recover, you will probably start to feel better and your general health will most likely start to improve.

I'm in protracted withdrawal, from quitting things too fast, so I'm not particularly healthy, but when I finally did manage to stop taking the SSRI, which I had been on for 13 years, some of my long standing health issues vanished.  I no longer had asthma, nasal allergies, acid reflux and I haven't had a cold or the flu since.  I used to have a chronic cough, and that vanished too.

Here are your drug interactions (I added prednisone)

Interactions between your selected drugs
interaction-3-big.png fluoxetine ↔ trazodone

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), trazodone

Talk to your doctor before using FLUoxetine together with traZODone. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-3-big.png fluoxetine ↔ amphetamine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine)

Talk to your doctor before using FLUoxetine together with amphetamine. FLUoxetine may increase the effects of amphetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-3-big.png fluoxetine ↔ dextroamphetamine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine)

Talk to your doctor before using FLUoxetine together with dextroamphetamine. FLUoxetine may increase the effects of dextroamphetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png ethinyl estradiol ↔ prednisone

Applies to: Necon 1 / 35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone), prednisone

Using predniSONE together with ethinyl estradiol may increase predniSONE effects. Talk to you doctor before using these medications together. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take both medications together. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png ethinyl estradiol ↔ lamotrigine

Applies to: Necon 1 / 35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone), lamotrigine

Talk to your doctor before using lamoTRIgine together with ethinyl estradiol. Combining these medications may reduce the blood levels and effects of lamoTRIgine. You may need a dose adjustment if you have been taking lamoTRIgine and are starting treatment with ethinyl estradiol. Similarly, if ethinyl estradiol is discontinued, your dosage of lamoTRIgine may need to be readjusted. Contact your doctor if your condition changes or you experience loss of seizure control during treatment with these medications. When ethinyl estradiol is stopped or interrupted briefly, be alert to potentially increased side effects of lamoTRIgine such as dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blurred vision, incoordination, tremor, restlessness, irritability, depression, anxiety, and mood or behavior changes. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png fluoxetine ↔ lamotrigine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), lamotrigine

Using FLUoxetine together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png trazodone ↔ lamotrigine

Applies to: trazodone, lamotrigine

Using traZODone together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thanks Petu,

Yeah I already knew about all my regular prescription side effects, I didn't question it until I started to look at how my doc was always adding another pill to the cocktail last winter. I was just one of those vulnerable patients believing he knew best n had the experience to know if it was ok.

I haven't been on by my bc pill in over a week. I had my first cycle for the first time I n seven years. I know being off the invega helped in that but I think it would be safe to say that the strong antibiotic on prolly added to that.

Mike is so irritated with me. I succumbed n took 50 mg of seroquel to try to sleep. That was two hours ago. If I take more, I will be so out of it tomorrow. I really want to try to be positive and upbeat this weekend for him. He holds all his feelings in which eventually results in him blowing up m trying to punch things, never me though. I sent him a lengthy email apologizing for my behavior these past few weeks. No one has any clue how bad it is unless they've done it.

I'm a total irritable, lazy flat out b**** lately. I have constant anxiety with the signs of a heart attack. My body just aches. It dropped 25 degrees here today n the cold only makes my hip hurt worse. See like I said I'm a crabby b****. Sorry I'm complaining to you now!!

• Moderator Emeritus

I succumbed n took 50 mg of seroquel to try to sleep.

Adding seroquel to the drugs you are already taking adds another 2 potentially serious adverse effects which effect the heart.  I"m not sure who Mike is, but I think he would prefer you to remain alive, taking steps to improve your health long term.  These drugs are not like aspirin, they have powerful effects on the nervous system.  They need to be taken in a regular way if you are trying to stabilize in preparation for safe tapering.

How often do you take seroquel?  Please would you add it to your signature.

In some ways you remind me of myself about 4 years ago.  I was casually starting and stopping a variety of prescription medications, taking them in a random fashion, thinking I was somehow helping myself.  I had no idea what I was doing to myself or where I was headed.  At the end of 2011 after a week of stress and trying to hold together my life by taking various psyche drugs and supplements in ways they shouldn't be taken, my nervous system finally gave out on me, and I haven't been the same since.  There is nothing I can do now to help myself recover apart from wait and in the mean time, I have no life, I'm too sick.  I don't want this to happen to you, please take care of yourself.  We only have one brain and nervous system, with a delicate balance and these drugs can do some horrendous damage which can take a long time to recover from.

interaction-2-big.png fluoxetine ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using QUEtiapine together with FLUoxetine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png trazodone ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: trazodone, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using traZODone together with QUEtiapine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

What do you mean when you say you have signs of a heart attack?

I've only taken seroquel four times in the last two years. My new shrink applied it to me in the short term to help me sleep. Since I rarely take it, that's why it's not on my signature.

Mike is my boyfriend of four years. I'm really bothered by my attitude with him. I have to admit I feel much better today. I woke up with no anxiety. I feel good. We are going to the vitamin Shoppe shortly and I'm going to get the passionflower. The last thing I want to resort to is taking a prescription pill. If I take two trazadone 300 mg, it makes me feel so drugged all day. I do not plan on taking it again.

Hope you're having a good day!!

When I say like I feel like I'm having a heart attack, I have heart palpitations, heart racing -- I have good blood pressure, but my resting pulse is typically in the 120's, I get really flushed, weak, naseau. I have a high risk of heart disease from family history. My dad has his first heart attack at 38. Both my parents have high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

My cholesterol is low. I'm very adamant about getting checked yearly with my history.

Also want to add that I started the prednisone yesterday morning, that could be the reason for my appetite returning. I hope not but I feel much better eating small meals throughout the day. I find it also helps relieve some of the anxiety very if just for short periods of time. I'll take it.

Also want to add that I started the prednisone yesterday morning, that could be the reason for my appetite returning. I hope not but I feel much better eating small meals throughout the day. I find it also helps relieve some of the anxiety very if just for short periods of time. I'll take it.

Hi glad  you are feeling better. Prednisone has to be tapered off also.

Primrose,

I know about tapering off it. I got one of those packs where it's easier to remember how many you have to take each day.

Woke up feeling pretty good. Feel well rested and excited to go see my mom. Even slept with my regular dose night meds!! Yay!!

Primrose,

I know about tapering off it. I got one of those packs where it's easier to remember how many you have to take each day.

Woke up feeling pretty good. Feel well rested and excited to go see my mom. Even slept with my regular dose night meds!! Yay!!

Hi Katie

that is great to hear. Hope you didn't mind me saying about the prednisone, I just felt I had to let you know, but it's a good thing that you already know.