SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Smoking, cessation, nicotine, e-cigs, Withdrawal considerations

alexjuice

Hi i'm new here, what an helpful site!

I am currently going through withdrawal, and it's awful, just plain awful. I'm a smoker, and smoking has previously helped me to calm down when I was stressed out or needed to relax, but at the moment i feel like puking everytime i want a cigarette.

So i was wondering, has anyone else in here experienced this too? I tried to quit, cause i know smoking is bad, but at the moment it is very hard to quit with the withdrawal and everything going on.

2010 - 2015: 50mg Sertraline, 30mg Mirtazapine.

2015 - 2016: Last dose Mirtazapine 28.11.2015 and Sertraline 04.01.2016. (6 months taper)

2016/June: 6 months off. Feeling better but a lot of symptoms, name one and i have it.

2016/Dec: 12 months off. Hit a very bad wave, can't function at this moment, isolate and many intense symptoms. Very intense heart palpitations and very intense anxiety.

2017/June: 18 months off. Things are better, experiencing a lot of flashbacks, walking everyday.

2017/Nov: Things have finally started to improve and i'm now much better than a year ago, starting to feel a lot of improvements, but still symptoms that come in waves and windows.  

2018/June: Feeling better. Starting to do some normal things again, but still some improvements needed. All symptoms still there, just less intense.

2018/Oct: Almost 3 years off. Symptoms are milder and more manageable, but lots of anger issues at the moment. Still some depersonalization etc. Heart palpitations almost gone. There's hope.

2021/april: 5 years and 3 months off. Symptoms less intense, but still struggling, still not able to socialize much, very tired, i just want to feel normal again. In a tough and awful wave.

Legan i have never smoked in my life so i cant comment from that perspective.

But my feeling is that one should quit one addiction at a time.(in the absence of medical reasons)

I was a member of another site for  4yrs and i seem to recall a member 'caperjackie' who was a smoker. [forgive me caper if i have you mixed up with someone else]

She quit smoking after paxil wdl i will never forget her comment being something like this..

.'After smoking a pack of cigarettes daily for 40 yrs quitting smoking was a walk in the park compared to going through ssri withdrawal"

or words to that effect.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I STARTED smoking when I got off SSRIs. very minimal, just 1 cigarette a day or equivalent e-cig. I know it is bad but I need the kick.

general rule is only reduce 1 med at a time including nicotine or caffeine.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

I cant stand the anxiety or hyperventilation . I think i shoild quit smoking though my doctor advised not to . But idk what to do . Im very very nervous .

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

I once read here from someone saying quacking smoke made his WD much worse so he went back smoking. It sounds consistent with the idea of one drug/ substance at a time.

When our system is super sensitized, change in anything can trigger more catch up of the brain. Just like many said they can't eat lots food during WD, would guess the impact of smoking is greater than food.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Administrator

NIcotine is a neurologically active substance.

Still, if smoking makes you feel ill, your body is telling you to do it less. A very gradual reduction seems called for, perhaps delaying longer and longer between cigarettes to reduce your daily intake.

A friend said she quit smoking by substituting herbal cigarettes (nicotine-free herbs, not marijuana). They're not good for your lungs, either, but at least they're not as addictive. Being able to light up helped her past that behavioral habit, she said she hardly felt nicotine withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Herbal ciggarete . I think theyr helpful . I hope i can fibd them but it seems they stopped naking them

Alcohol for 10 years then benzo for 6 months to help with alcohol then psychosis , and took esctiolpram 20 mg and sulipride 200 mg . quit date 17 -12 -2015

• Moderator Emeritus

you can buy them online legan, try honeyroseusa.com

general rule is only reduce 1 med at a time including nicotine or caffeine.

This is good advice. My sister was (most likely) in protracted withdrawal from SSRIs but was taking stimulant meds and seemed to be functioning reasonably well. Then she gave up the stimulants, smoking and caffeine all around the same time and crashed, became bed bound and didn't leave her house for months.

She recently started smoking again and is a little better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I was thinking if Antipsychotic is dopamine antagonist which help blocking the dopamine . And Smoking raise the dopamine.

So when you quit antipsychotic . You remove the blocking of dopamine but if you quit also smoking you stoppped raising that extra dopamine .

So quit smoking should help with antipsychotic withdrawals . Am i right ?

I used to smoke years ago a 1/2 pack a day. Then I did socially up until November. I gave it up with booze. The thought of either makes me sick while being in WD. I guess it depends on the severity of the WD but I would get sick if I had either of those now. Coffee too. I also used to love ice cream. It's disgusting now. Sorry, got a little off topic

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• 1 year later...

There is a lot of talk about healing on this board. Healing our messed up nervous system. But I wonder how much healing I csn be experiencing if I smoke so many cigarettes. 

I only restarted smoking because of how awful my medication has made me feel (restlessness, agitation, akathisia, whatever you want to call it. Plus brutal insomnia). It seems to help. Little 15 minutes of calm.

Who here smokes and what do you think of it? Is it just another med we need to taper? And where should it be on the tapering of polypharmacy? Last? First?

Merry Christmas  (ironic laugh)

Edited by Altostrata
retitled

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kesh,

Definitely, for me, I look at it as another medication now.........that I need to taper.  In light of my own now, somewhat compromised, nervous system......post psychiatric medication, and other psychoactive drugs.    And am happy to report a decrease in total cigarettes consumed/day!!

I don't know how long you have been smoking or how many times you have quit?  For me, it's been a lot of years and I also tend to go back to them, cigarettes, after a quit, when a general mood shift comes on, or just out of frustration.   For me......it's now my last psychoactive substance, to get clear of after many, many years.  Oh, it's highly addictive.  I'm sure you know that.  As well as a factor in so many physical conditions it isn't even funny.    Contributing to this topic has got me craving one.  :o

Ironic, isn't it?  As by smoking cigarettes........we only add to our restlessness and insomnia.  For a basic cognitive approach to getting off cigarettes, I like a book by Allan Carr.  It looks like he has several out now.

It's my last one to taper.  I do think though, that if you can find other coping skills, and I'm certain that you can, you might consider moving it up on your priority list.

To Life and a healthier one,

Best,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

27 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Kesh,

Definitely, for me, I look at it as another medication now.........that I need to taper.  In light of my own now, somewhat compromised, nervous system......post psychiatric medication, and other psychoactive drugs.    And am happy to report a decrease in total cigarettes consumed/day!!

I don't know how long you have been smoking or how many times you have quit?  For me, it's been a lot of years and I also tend to go back to them, cigarettes, after a quit, when a general mood shift comes on, or just out of frustration.   For me......it's now my last psychoactive substance, to get clear of after many, many years.  Oh, it's highly addictive.  I'm sure you know that.  As well as a factor in so many physical conditions it isn't even funny.    Contributing to this topic has got me craving one.  :o

Ironic, isn't it?  As by smoking cigarettes........we only add to our restlessness and insomnia.  For a basic cognitive approach to getting off cigarettes, I like a book by Allan Carr.  It looks like he has several out now.

It's my last one to taper.  I do think though, that if you can find other coping skills, and I'm certain that you can, you might consider moving it up on your priority list.

To Life and a healthier one,

Best,

mmt

I wasn't vaping before I stopped my meds but now even if I wanna try to stop it just makes everything worse i stopped yesterday and today had terrible Nero fear + suicidal intrusive thoughts  prob have to bump up my nico from 2 mg to 4 mg

1. Zoloft(Generic)100 mg From 06/06/2016 to 02/10/2016                         
  2. Lexapro(Generic) 20 MG From 03/10/2016 to 05/2017                               Supplements: vitamin complex 
  3. Lexapro (Generic) CT 05/2017 
  4. 6/08/17- reinstated 10mg Lexapro(Generic)(50%of original doses )
  5. 02/11/2017- 9 mg Lexapro(Generic) (10 % rule) (Homemade)
  6. 04/12/2017- 8.75mg Lexapro(Generic)(BrassMonkey slide)
  7. 19/12/2017- 8.5mg Lexapro(Generic)
  8. 06/02/2018- 8.35mg Lexapro (Generic)
  9. 16/2/2018- 8.22mg Lexapro(Generic)
  10. 25/2/2018- 8.09mg Lexapro (Generic)-05/03/2018- 7.9mg Lexapro (Generic)-28/03/2018-7.75mg Lexapro (Generic)-04/04/2018-7.66mg Lexapro (Generic)18/05/2018-7.64mg Lexapro (brand Liquid)
  11. 28/6/2018 7.50mg lexapro (Brand Liquid ) 15/7/2018 7.40 mg Lexapro(brand liquid) 7.30 mg Lexapro(Liquid) 27-07-2018
  12. Forgot to update this but i continued to taper down until 21/12/2019 and final dose was 1.3 mg  Time since Stoping  3y and 4 mouths
  13.  xanax 16-01-2023 started 0.25 whent to 0.5 RX 1 week Back to 0.25 
  14. corrent dose 0.25 devided in 4 parts 

• Administrator

Smoking is horrible for your circulation and your overall health.

My brother and mother, both heavy smokers, each lost a lung to cancer.

Enough said.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 1:40 AM, Altostrata said:

Smoking is horrible for your circulation and your overall health.

My brother and mother, both heavy smokers, each lost a lung to cancer.

Enough said.

Trouble is, we're reaching for a cigarette to stop thinking about suicide. So future death/illness vs immediate risk.

Anyway. I'm basically regarding cigarettes as another thing to taper. Have stabilized my intake for now.

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kesh,

For me......it's more habit/addiction at this point.  Although I can see that when presented with such intrusive thoughts, it may work as a brief distraction.  There are lot's of other distractions though that you might find healthier.........since it sounds like you just picked up the cigarettes again, recently?

I guess my main point was......and after reading Allan Carr, and my own experience.........was that often times the smoking can INCREASE those feelings of fear/anxiety- restless, agitation.  I don't think I would ever recommend to someone to deal with W/D symptoms.

Have you seen our threads on magnesium and Omega 3's?

Best, Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Well, nicotine increases dopamine which is what makes you feel better after smoking. Oddly enough 75-80% of people with schizophrenia smoke and it's suspected to be because of the dopamine factor. Picking up smoking to get through withdrawal is trading one addiction for another. Definitely not something I would recommend. On the same note, I would also not recommend trying to quit smoking until you are healed from withdrawal. I do smoke and it's not doing me any favors. However, I absolutely couldn't dream of going through nicotine withdrawal right now in the state that I'm in. I would also advise against ever taking Chantix to quit because it also causes mental disturbance. 

2000 or 2001 drugged with LSD (I add this to the list due to it also affecting serotonin and 5-ht receptors.)
2000 or 2001 Dr gives me Paxil for the resulting severe anxiety from the LSD. Quit after few weeks
2000 or 2001 Dr gives me buspur without washing out Paxil bad
2000 or 2001  started "non habit forming" Zoloft 50mg
Between 2008-2010 cut down to 25 mg (still the name brand) no problems.
2012 quit Zoloft completely. No real problems I recall. 
2014 or 2015 Tried to restart Zoloft. Stopped. Then started again. Serious problems. 
2014-2015 Xanax 1 mg no problems starting or stopping

2017 March Tried to increase Zoloft from 12.5 and suddenly stopped. Severe withdrawal ever since. 
2017 March Prescribed Allegra. Steroids, numerous antibiotics
2017 June Prescribed Ativan, Valium, Klonopin all bad reactions.
2017 August Prescribed more xanax .50 and no longer tolerated

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2015 at 10:32 AM, Cookson said:

Just intrested if anyone else smokes on here? I know it can't help my recovery but when things get really difficult it's a safety net for me, like a close friend giving a me a helping hand in need. It feels like an ancient relic of more joyous happier time that it brings me back for a moement even if only slightly.

I average about 5 cigarettes a day. I May smoke more on bad days with the mentality 'I really honestly don't care anymore it can't get worse then this I need some respite'

Be good to know if I can relate to anyone on this

I can relate.  I smoke because it gives me something to do, a way to have a break and is like a friend (particularly when I'm at home and feeling isolated.  I want to give up but I know it will be an almighty struggle.  The thing is, I think I have worse anxiety, depression and hopelessness when I smoke throughout the day.  I really think it would help my recovery (I've had a breakdown from a-d prescribing that had monumental adverse effects, followed by CT off them and long-term legacy symptoms.  I'm back on meds now, escitalopram, nortriptyline and diazepam which is propping me up but isn't taking away the anxious feelings or the lead legs). I just don't know how I'm going to give up the little "pleasure" I have in life.  It sucks (no pun).

2006 Citalopram 20mg on and off to 2013.  April 2013 - July 2014  Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine v. bad reactions. July 2014 - CT Mirtazapine.  July 2014 - February 2016 Medication free, long term w/d.  February - July 2016 Fluoxetine.  Medication free, long term w/d syndrome.  2017 Jan physical breakdown.

2017 February - March Escitalopram, Nortriptyline instated.  Lorazepam, Zopiclone PRN.  April 2017 Lithium Carbonate 250mg 1 wk. 14 August 2017 finish cross to Diazepam 22.5mg daily, stop Zopiclone

Tapers:

Diazepam 

2017 21 August - 30 Dec 21.25mg to 14.5mg 2018 6 Jan - 11 May to 12mg.  2 June updose to 12.25mg - hold. 2019 (0.5mg cuts) 12 Jan - 28 Dec 12mg to 10mg 2020 (0.25mg cuts) - 25 Jan - 29 Dec 9.75mg to 6.25mg 2021 *May have bungled dose and accidentally took 1mg more for about a month (7.25mg), so 4 Jan started again at 6.5mg; 19 Jan 6.25mg; 1 Feb 6.0mg; 23 Feb 5.75mg; 9 Mar 5.5mg; 23 Mar 5.25mg; 9 Apr 5.0mg; 6 May 4.75mg; 13 May 4.5mg; 6 Jun 4mg; 12 July 3.5mg; 2 sep 3.0mg; 15 Sep 2.5mg; 1 Nov 2mg; 15 Nov 1.5mg; 16 Dec 1mg; 26 Dec 0.5mg; 2022 1 Jan - OFF

Escitalopram - 2022 1 Mar to 9mg; 29 Mar 8mg; 24 May 7mg; 21 Jun 5mg; 19 Jul 4mg; 1 Sep 3mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 31 Oct 1.5mg; 22 Nov 0.5mg; 2023 1 Jan 0.25mg; 1 Mar OFF

Nortriptyline  2018 90mg to 2020 1 Dec down to 72.5mg; 2021 20 May 70mg; 8 Jun 67.5mg; 24 Jun 65mg; 31 July 60mg; 12 Oct 55mg; 23 Oct 50mg; 2022 13 Jan 40mg; 22 Jan 30mg; 29 Mar 20mg; 26 Apr 10mg; 3 Aug 5mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 2023 1 Jan - OFF

1 March 2023 - off all drugs - 6-year taper off three drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

In these days I'm trying to quit smoke but I find it extremely hard. The first days are insane for me. Curiously, at any attempt, I get some opposite sides of those typical for the nicotine withdraw. For example, no insomnia at all. Instead I feel very very sleepy and when i go to bed I fall asleep in a short time (when usually I spent 30-60 minutes). When after, say, 48 hours of no smoking I light up a cigarette, I feel very intense feeling  like I am smoking a super potent drug. I don't know. Are these feelings the same for a "normal" smoker? I think this happens because I'm not 100% come back. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have recovered in the last 2 yrs. I tried to go a whole day without smoking yesterday and today I am a mess ( twitches cold hands high anxiety) I know my brain has left me sensitive from the withdrawal but I thought I could quit cigarettes! Is it my brain was used to those chemicals and decided to rebel? I started smoking again this morning but still feel like withdrawal again. Are my 2 yrs of hard work in jeopardy or will I stabilize in a few days? Any thoughts please? 

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

On April 6, 2018 at 8:05 AM, Weasel said:

I have recovered in the last 2 yrs. I tried to go a whole day without smoking yesterday and today I am a mess ( twitches cold hands high anxiety) I know my brain has left me sensitive from the withdrawal but I thought I could quit cigarettes! Is it my brain was used to those chemicals and decided to rebel? I started smoking again this morning but still feel like withdrawal again. Are my 2 yrs of hard work in jeopardy or will I stabilize in a few days? Any thoughts please? 

I quit smoking 2 years ago in March after over 35 years. Thank goodness my lungs are clear. But this morning I can't catch my breath. I know it's not from smoking, it's WD. But, I would never go back to it again. I don't know if you will stabilize or not. But all that hard work and you gave in? I gave in years ago and wish I wouldn't have, but I can't look back. I wish you luck. I'm not downing you for anything. I made lots of mistakes trying to quit and I finally did it. You will when you are ready.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Should I taper down for quitting cigarettes just like the AD? My brain can’t do cold turkey. 

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 3 weeks into quitting smoking. Tapering I'm down from 45mg paxil to 32.5mg. 

So smoking cigarettes is so hard to give up because they contain harman which when smoked acts as an MAOI. And it boosts the addictive affect of nicotine. That's why you don't get the kick from vaping as you do from smoking. In fact there's no clinical evidence that nicotine on it's own for an always non-smoker is addictive at all, it's the addition of harman and other chemicals which create the addiction.

Essentially it's a mild anti-depressant so giving up smoking is like a big jump in a taper. Depression and similar symptoms to AD withdrawal are common when giving up. Your dopamine receptors do grow back but this can take 3-4 months, so it's a hard slog.

I'm struggling with it at the moment, feel nausea, muzzy head, hard to concentrate, depression. But getting smoking out the way will be a massive massive win on the way back to good mental health. It's just not going to be easy. I'm using a vape which does take the edge off and physically should be loads easier to come off once the brain has adapted from losing those 4000 chemicals from real cigarettes.

1995 aged 18 Started 20mg Seroxat and 50mg Half Inderal Beta Blocker for anxiety / 1996 stopped beta blockers / 1997 stopped Seroxat

1999 Started Seroxat 20mg again / 2000-2016 mainly stayed on Seroxat with some drops to 15 and 10mg / Sep-Nov 2016 tapered from 20mg to 10mg / Nov 16 Major crash and massive hike from 10mg to 40mg / Dec 16 - Jun 17 struggled with insomnia and bouts of depression (not had serious depression previously) / Jun 17 Increased to 45mg Seroxat with little improvement / Mid Oct 17 lowered to 40mg, Nov 1st 17 lowered to 35mg / Mid Nov 17 back up to 40mg / Jan 2018 down to 37.5mg / 8th Feb 2018 down to 35mg / 20th Mar 2018 down to 32.5mg / April gave up cigarettes (tough) / 14th May 2018 down to 30mg / 27th June 2018 down to 27.5mg / 24th July down to 25mg / 20th August Crashed

Dropping 2.5mg every 4-6 weeks provided have been level for at least 2 weeks of that. After 4-6 days from drop I feel moderate increase in depression and anxiety with mood swings of up and down, sometimes excited to point of mania. Subsides over 7-21 days to base level. 

DO CBT, ONLY WAY OF ACCEPTING SYMPTOMS WITHOUT GOING NUTS AND LETTING IT SPIRAL. I can even handle consequences of having a few drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK doing an update for anyone wanting to go through this in the future.

Week 5 and little improvement but do have some. Throughout my taper I've been able to have a few beers at the weekend without too much trouble. Whilst on this smoking quit I've suffered pretty hefty depression after a few drinks for a couple of days, but it does dissipate. Needless to say I think it's best to get a couple of months under your belt before having a drink I reckon. The cravings are still pretty intense, but I reckon all of the above is because ADs have downregulated everything and my brain is scraping around for what neurotransmitters it can find. I figure though that when this happens it's a trigger for the brain to start produce more receptors and kick-start more production. I gave up before when on 20mg of paxil before it pooped and it was nowhere near as bad as this. 

I am using a vape with 12mg juice. Be impossible without I reckon. Control your vaping though or else you'll overload on nicotine and make yourself sick.

It's pretty tough this, but we're all playing the long run here. This is for those with militant attitudes only I reckon.

1995 aged 18 Started 20mg Seroxat and 50mg Half Inderal Beta Blocker for anxiety / 1996 stopped beta blockers / 1997 stopped Seroxat

1999 Started Seroxat 20mg again / 2000-2016 mainly stayed on Seroxat with some drops to 15 and 10mg / Sep-Nov 2016 tapered from 20mg to 10mg / Nov 16 Major crash and massive hike from 10mg to 40mg / Dec 16 - Jun 17 struggled with insomnia and bouts of depression (not had serious depression previously) / Jun 17 Increased to 45mg Seroxat with little improvement / Mid Oct 17 lowered to 40mg, Nov 1st 17 lowered to 35mg / Mid Nov 17 back up to 40mg / Jan 2018 down to 37.5mg / 8th Feb 2018 down to 35mg / 20th Mar 2018 down to 32.5mg / April gave up cigarettes (tough) / 14th May 2018 down to 30mg / 27th June 2018 down to 27.5mg / 24th July down to 25mg / 20th August Crashed

Dropping 2.5mg every 4-6 weeks provided have been level for at least 2 weeks of that. After 4-6 days from drop I feel moderate increase in depression and anxiety with mood swings of up and down, sometimes excited to point of mania. Subsides over 7-21 days to base level. 

DO CBT, ONLY WAY OF ACCEPTING SYMPTOMS WITHOUT GOING NUTS AND LETTING IT SPIRAL. I can even handle consequences of having a few drinks.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 11/28/2018 at 4:49 PM, Altostrata said:

A friend managed to taper off cigarette pretty quickly by substituting herbal cigarettes instead, it satisfied her smoking habit, then she cut down on the herbal cigarettes.

Giving up smoking is very difficult.  I like Alto's idea of using herbal cigarettes.  Not wacky tobacky (ie marijuana or any other concoction containing mind altering ingredients).  You could do a cross over eg alternate herbal and regular to start with then 1 regular and 2 herbal cigarettes etc.  That way you reduce the physical dependency of the nicotine and then you can work on the habitual dependency of the act of smoking, instead of trying to do both at once.

Just found this:  https://whyquit.com/joels-videos/what-about-using-herbal-cigarettes-to-quit-smoking/

You would need to make sure of the ingredients.  Joel in the video says that tests on some herbal cigarettes showed they had tobacco blended in.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

I tried vaping earlier this month - I was doing it about five times a day as well as cigarettes.  I lowered the nicotine level in the vaping juice because 12mg seemed to make me woozy and have a hot flush.  I don't think I overdid the vape/cigarette combo any more than I would have had on a normal day.  four days in, I was getting increased WD symptoms, so I've back burnered the vape.  I wondered if it was because I was introducing glycol and glycerol and whatever else is in the vape into my already sensitive system.

If I have another go at vaping (I'm not ready to give up nicotine, or the habit of inhaling something yet) I reckon I might have to try a slow taper over.  Hmmmm.

I just wanted to not have the smell hanging around from cigarettes.

2006 Citalopram 20mg on and off to 2013.  April 2013 - July 2014  Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine v. bad reactions. July 2014 - CT Mirtazapine.  July 2014 - February 2016 Medication free, long term w/d.  February - July 2016 Fluoxetine.  Medication free, long term w/d syndrome.  2017 Jan physical breakdown.

2017 February - March Escitalopram, Nortriptyline instated.  Lorazepam, Zopiclone PRN.  April 2017 Lithium Carbonate 250mg 1 wk. 14 August 2017 finish cross to Diazepam 22.5mg daily, stop Zopiclone

Tapers:

Diazepam 

2017 21 August - 30 Dec 21.25mg to 14.5mg 2018 6 Jan - 11 May to 12mg.  2 June updose to 12.25mg - hold. 2019 (0.5mg cuts) 12 Jan - 28 Dec 12mg to 10mg 2020 (0.25mg cuts) - 25 Jan - 29 Dec 9.75mg to 6.25mg 2021 *May have bungled dose and accidentally took 1mg more for about a month (7.25mg), so 4 Jan started again at 6.5mg; 19 Jan 6.25mg; 1 Feb 6.0mg; 23 Feb 5.75mg; 9 Mar 5.5mg; 23 Mar 5.25mg; 9 Apr 5.0mg; 6 May 4.75mg; 13 May 4.5mg; 6 Jun 4mg; 12 July 3.5mg; 2 sep 3.0mg; 15 Sep 2.5mg; 1 Nov 2mg; 15 Nov 1.5mg; 16 Dec 1mg; 26 Dec 0.5mg; 2022 1 Jan - OFF

Escitalopram - 2022 1 Mar to 9mg; 29 Mar 8mg; 24 May 7mg; 21 Jun 5mg; 19 Jul 4mg; 1 Sep 3mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 31 Oct 1.5mg; 22 Nov 0.5mg; 2023 1 Jan 0.25mg; 1 Mar OFF

Nortriptyline  2018 90mg to 2020 1 Dec down to 72.5mg; 2021 20 May 70mg; 8 Jun 67.5mg; 24 Jun 65mg; 31 July 60mg; 12 Oct 55mg; 23 Oct 50mg; 2022 13 Jan 40mg; 22 Jan 30mg; 29 Mar 20mg; 26 Apr 10mg; 3 Aug 5mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 2023 1 Jan - OFF

1 March 2023 - off all drugs - 6-year taper off three drugs.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm an ex-smoker so I understand how hard it can be to quit.  I've actually quit twice, the first time was very hard and I started smoking again due to stress related to my husband's illness.  Quitting the second time was very easy.  I fell pregnant (I wasn't smoking at the time I fell pregnant with my first child) and cigarettes started tasting funny even before I missed a period.  I've been tempted to smoke since then but the cost was prohibitive and I also knew that it was hard to quit, unless I fell pregnant again!

Anyway, something that was available back in the 1980s which I did try was graduated cigarette filters.  The ones I had had a hole.  You started with the smallest and then graduated to the largest.  When smoking you were diluting the cigarette smoke with more air and also removing some tar.

But be careful that you don't start smoking more cigarettes to make up for the reduction in nicotine otherwise it defeats the purpose.

At one time I was trying a DIY method by pricking just below the filter of the cigarette (not the bought filters) and either making the hole larger or making more holes.

I did a quick search online and found these:  https://www.amazon.com/One-Step-Time-Addiction-Withdrawal/dp/B0090TB1S2

(I am not affiliated in any way with this product - I searched smoking quit filter)

I have no idea if they are the same type as what I used.  There are reviews with varying opinions on Amazon.

It's not just the nicotine habit that you have to kick, it's also physical (holding and movement with a cigarette) as well as mental.

One thing that I think is one key to helping to quit is to introduce something else to do instead of having a cigarette.  There are many fidget toys available.  Or you could do some paper folding or something else with your hands, knitting, crochet, finger knitting.  Just something to do with your hands instead of holding a cigarette.

A fun thing to do might be to learn a nursery rhyme, silly poem or song for the mental side.

Something that might also be helpful is trying to work out when you feel like a smoke and what might have caused you to want one.  It might be nicotine top up time which would be indicated by the time since the last one.  However it might be some external or mental thing that makes you reach for one.  In the latter case it would be helpful to try to distract yourself by doing something else.  You might also find learning CBT helpful.

Another idea.  For every cigarette that you successfully resist put aside a set amount.  For example $1 for each one.  Having something to show that we have achieved something can be good.  Or a chart with star stickers.  I've been walking over the last 2 months and would write it in my diary and highlight it yellow.  Now I sometimes forget to even write it down because it's become a habit.

I haven't smoked since July 1987 (so that's 33 years) and every now and then I still feel like a smoke.  It doesn't happen very often and it surprises me when it does but I just tell myself that I'm not doing that again.

Anyway, they are some things that might help so I wanted to pass them on.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

I am asking for a person close to me..

He has been on Lexapro (10mg- and recentl5 mg) for 5-6- years.

While on lexapro he smoked and drank coffee.... last year slowly the nicotine and caffeine was becoming a problem causing anxiety whereas before it had a good effect on him.

It came to the point where one ciagarette caused a panick attack that lasted hours and he had to stop smoking.  

My question is whether this is common , being sensitized to nicotine to the point of having to stop it, and if this can be reversed?

thank you to anyone who wishes to answer. 

• 11 months later...

Hi folks! 

I already asked this in my thread but no response there. Maybe here. 

I was feeling better last autumn and I started smoking again. 3 to 4 cigs a day. Sometimes it was 5 or 6. After 4 weeks the hell broke out and I got symptoms I never got before. It lasts till now with very slowly becoming better. Has anybody experienced something similar here? How could that be that a few cigs can f... the system so hard again? 

Greetings 

09/2018 Quetiapin 100 mg 8 weeks 

10/2018 Prozac 20 mg 2 weeks 

05/2019 - 10/2019 abilify 2.5 mg

12/2019-03/2020 Moclobemid 600

01/2020 - 04/2020 Lithium 1125

03/2020 8 ketamin injections

05/2020 drug free 

11/2020 lots of improvements 

12/2020 cigs crash, huge setback 

07/2021 a bit better but far from my state in autumn 2020

01/2024 I crashed again 2022. I live an disabled life and start to think it's forever 

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody.

I had my last drop of ecitalopram in january this year and have been smoking cigarettes now and then, mostly when other smokers are around(once a month maximum). But the last few days I bought my self some tobacco, because I really felt the need to smoke again.

I was a heavy smoker for years, started vaping in 2016, because a friend introduced me to it and went off vaping in mid of 2017.

Now after 2 days of smoking 8 to 9 cigs a day (I had a window the last two days) I woke up at night with bloating and abdominal pain. My rosacea, which was doing much better, came back and due to the pain I had a very bad night. I have a histamine issue and I am on a low histamine diet (went carnivore for some time with only fresh meat and now a trying to bring plant foods back in), but I know that smoking is a DAO Blocker. Could it be that picking up cigarettes again made my histamine intolerance worse? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't know if driksdog had symptoms like this as well, but I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you

Cheers

November 2014: 20mg of Citalopram after burnout.

June 2017: Tried to taper off by splitting the pills and after not being able to split them into more pieces, by taking them every other day and then one in 3 days and so on.

December 2017 Panic attacks, heart racing, fear of dying and a lot of other weird symptoms made me go back on 10mg of Citalopram.

November 2020: Functional medicine doctor told me my leaky gut could be coming from the antidepressant and made me taper off in 2,5 months with ecitalopram liquid.

Last drop of ecitalopram in the middle of january (can#t remember the exact date)

Since then trying to cope with withdrawal.

Hi sofasogood! 

Sadly that smoking also seems to worsen u. 

My issue mostly wasn't about eating and stomach sh... All my other symptoms came back as smoking f.... the reward system so dopa. I earned low energy, more aphaty again and worse DP. 

But my intestine is also not good. I try probitic, diet, bentonite clay and Psyllium this time.  Hope u can recover again. 

Greetings dog 

05/2020 drug free 

01/2024 I crashed again 2022. I live an disabled life and start to think it's forever 

Hey Driksdog. 

I am sorry, that it made you worse as well. Energy is always low these days and it doesn't seem to get worse, but I am hoping it doesen't mess with my dopamine response as well and I hopefully can quit smoking soon again.

Right now I am trying 1 or 2 and then leaving it be alltogether. It is really confusing to connect symptoms and causes and often it seems it is not possible. The only thing I hope for is to heal and have less and less symptoms overall.

Are you still smoking..if so how does it affect you now?

Greetings

June 2017: Tried to taper off by splitting the pills and after not being able to split them into more pieces, by taking them every other day and then one in 3 days and so on.

December 2017 Panic attacks, heart racing, fear of dying and a lot of other weird symptoms made me go back on 10mg of Citalopram.

November 2020: Functional medicine doctor told me my leaky gut could be coming from the antidepressant and made me taper off in 2,5 months with ecitalopram liquid.

Last drop of ecitalopram in the middle of january (can#t remember the exact date)

Hi! 

No I quit smoking 8 month ago. I still struggle to overcome the crash. It's like I took meds again or even worse. I don't understand it. How could that be? It's total voodo how this horrible drugs change ur whole system. I smoked before and never got this reactions. It's absolutely horror for me. 

Dog

05/2020 drug free 

Hey driksdog.

The only thing I seem to read a lot in this forum is, that at different stages of healing, different things might or might not work for you. I am terribly sorry, that smoking crashed you that bad, but perhaps, if I get most success stories right, you can see it as your body going through its next healing stage. so perhaps smoking triggered the next most important step in your healing journey. That is at least what I wish for you. May you emerge much stronger out of this than ever before! I still cannot help thinking about having a smoke and even if I got rid of all the smokes I am constantly thinking of creating opportunities to by new ones.

courage to you!

Hi! 

Nah it isn't a new healing stage. It's more a new sh.... State :(

But anyway thank u

I was almost healed. Now I feel like i never did before. So strange 

Greetings 

05/2020 drug free 

I used to smoke but since I am in WD I cannot tolerate it. It tastes disgusting now. 

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Smoking, cessation, nicotine, e-cigs, Withdrawal considerations

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy