SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Patoski: coming off antidepressants

Patoski

After 40 years I have come off antidepressants. I am having problems but I am doing it

I was originally on 350 mils doxepin started in1975 through the years I tapered down to 100 mils

I stayed on this dose for many years

I have now been off for 7 months ago

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patoski

• btdt

• cymbaltawithdrawal5600

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, Patoski.

What drugs were you on, and for how long? Are you completely off antidepressants? How did you come off? Did you have any problems coming off?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

hi every body I am patoski my story is along one I am not going to try and tell all at once. I am no stranger to withdrawel,I stopped alcohol 39 years ago and l stopped valium and ativan 28 years ago. it was horrific and it took years before I began to feel better, all this time I was still on ads, doxepin. 40 years in all I tried many times to come off but there was one symptom I could not cope with in with drawel, it was clusterheadache. I had.never heard of this word until recently, before all I new is that I had a seething burning pain I my head that was too much to bare. I thought it must be part of some brain damage I had done when I was drinking and I thought I must stay as I am for the rest of my life.

then suddenly a quirk of fate I was diagnosed with glaucoma a year ago and had to have drops in my eyes daily.  the consultant said you have to come off doxepin be cause they are not compatible with the drops you must take. this frightened the life out of me because I new what to expect, after all I had tried so many times before and failed. the consultant said you can go onto a different antidepressant, I said that is easier said than done but he did t understand and I am too old in the tooth at this game to try and explain withdrawel to him so I started to taper off my meds.

It took about 6 monthsTo get off completely and then the clusterheadache kicked in. it was once again impossible but some how I had to keep going. I also had all the regular withdrawel symptoms immsomia brain zaps sweats depression and the rest of the demons and then just as I was about to give up just by chance I was introduced to a lady who used to run the priory clinic, and when I told her about the seething burning pain in my head she told me they were probably cluster headaches, and if I could hold on they would go if they were caused by withdrawel. and thank God and this angel after 6 weeks they stopped!  I had these dawned headaches for 40 years caused by doxepin and a last I'm free from all drugs. I know I Still have away to go but as I said I'm doing it in order to get well here are a few of the things I had to stop through the years. Coffee smoking cheese gambling jogging chocolate and adultery and that apart from all the mood altering substances I have enjested

Edited by mammaP
Paragraph breaks for readability.

I was originally on 350 mils doxepin started in1975 through the years I tapered down to 100 mils

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Patowski, thank you for sharing your story with us, you have been through a lot and have done

well to get off all those drugs, ativan and valium are terrible and I am not surprised it took a long time to get

better.  I had cluster headaches with effexor but they have almost stopped now I am on a very low dose.It is

very rare now but get them occasionally. 

How long have you been off the doxepin? 

Many of us here find that a good quality fish oil and magnesium help with some of the withdrawal symptoms.

You may find that you experience withdrawal and then periods of feeling ok, this is called the windows and

waves pattern of recovery. This is quite normal and is something we all experience. You can read about that here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

You will have lots of support here, we are a friendly group who are all going through tapering or withdrawal. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thankyou mamma p for your reply I have been off doxepin for 4 months and I week I don't think I'm doing to bad considering I've been on them for 40 years I'm very positive about my withdrawel and I keep myself busy I also do a lot of meditation and relaxation exercises I will try the fish oil you mentioned I also have 12 step programme that has kept me sober for 39 years it's been a life time job for me and if it takes another 40 years I will get well God

Bless you mammal patoski

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Patoski,

Welcome from me too.  I agree that you have done well to get off all those drugs, congratulations.  Thank you for sharing your story.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful non-drug ideas to help manage symptoms as you continue to recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Patoski, how are you feeling now? Any withdrawal symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Sorry it's took so long to reply but I have just had a eye operation and I could not see properly I am having quite bad depression insomnia aches and pains and such but I'm quite positive I learnt that it's very important to be like that fromm 28 years of high doses ofvalium and ativan of wich I recovered from after many years ads are just another unwelcome challenge hank you for concern I know you knew friends are going to be very helpful to me thank you Altra ta you too Petu

Sorry I made a mistake I was 20 years on valium and ativan I am 28 years off of them and I hardly ever think about that experience now but I do use it to encourage others God bless

• Administrator

Patoski, can you tell us any more about how you healed? How your symptoms changed over time?

I was 20 years on valium and ativan and many times I tried to come off but always ended up going back on my dose on day I met a man who said he got off by going to a rehab so off went thinking they had some magic pain less way of doing this obey they took me off all my drugs in one week and it was horrific they said they had never seen some suffer such bad with drawel had burning pain in my head and all my joints intense anxiety servers depression shaking electric shocks continuous crying physical and mental pain and other symptom too many to list while I was there I learnt I had grave emotional and mental disorders and they told me I was blaming and resentful and many other character defects they also helped me to come to terms with some terrible things that happened to me in my child hood I will always be grateful to those wonderful people after 8 weeks they sent me to a half way house and there the symptoms became worse I was dragged round AA meetings where I was a public spectacle but I was passed caring my eye had been completely smashed which in time became a good thing any way one night I was crying and screaming in pain on the floor and they did not know what to do with me so they called the local hospital and I met the coldest man I ever met in my life he had the bedside manners of a pig and he injected me with largactol and even that did not put me out the next day they told me they could not cope with me any more and they were sending me home we left the next day with my wife crying in the front of the car and

Me in the back of the car crying and having panic attacks with phyicahtric nurse each side of me

Y when they left me at my house I felt completely abandoned except for my faithful wife who I had abused and driven mad for years I stayed in my house for months pacing the floor room to room like a mad man I was terrified to go out I had agoraphobia but one day an AA friend suggest I go out and look for pennies on the ground to take my mind off the fact that I was out and in about 2 months I found 22 P and I bought a Mars bar to celebrate my success of staying out it slowly got better but it was a couple years until I could go into a supermarket and very occasion on a bus I only ever once went on a train in the last 30 year travel every where now on my bycicyle it may not sound much to you but for a man who once spent 4 years in is own house it seems like complete freedom my patent wife continued to help me to gdaydet round AA meetings and slowly slowly I started to get better adventually i got back to work to

Today I have a successful business and I'm a multi millionaire I love people l love AA God and my wife and family it's not about what you've got or you haven't got its always about how you feel when I left the halfway house they put me back on my antidepressants I'm now off them 4 and a half months I'm now at last drug free it's the greatest achievement of my life I know I have away to go but I am up for it I have not allowed this illness to ruin the whole of my life and I would urge everyone to hang in and be as positive as you can my purpose in telling my story is not to frighten but to encourage all symptoms fade in the end and may I thank people and God lest my EGO comes back and kills me x

• Administrator

That is quite a story.

So it took you about 4 years to recover from going off the benzos? Were you on antidepressants before the benzos and afterwards? 

What antidepressants were you on and how did you finally come off?

I was on doxepin a trycilic antidepressant all the same time I was on bensos I remained on them until 4 and half months ago if you read my earlier post it will explain why I had too come off how long it took and how hard it was

Hi has anybody experienced de personalisation whilst coming off antidepressants I've had it about 4 hours today I've had it before years ago when I came bensos it's a weird old feeling like you know your you but not wow what an illness

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Patoski,

I've had ongoing depersonalization along with my other symptoms, for me its been fairly constant.  Many people experience both depersonalization and derealization as part of withdrawal.  We have a topic about it here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1766-derealizationdepersonalization/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thank you petu I just wanted to be sure that it is experienced In ad withdrawel I really appreciate your reply knowledge lessons the anxiety I'm also quite green at the Internet so I have some difficulty finding some of the sites

• 2 months later...

I was in a not too bad a space when suddenly I have another eye infection and I have to have antibiotic drops this has started me into a very bad wave I'm sharing this because I know the

Value and the help off sharing gives me I haven't taken one pain killer in the

Last 28 years but these I have to take I'm an absolute abstanace man created by 40 years of not drinking I remain positive and I will get through this but encourage ment would be appreciated .Thanks for being there

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Patoski,

I joined your new post with your introduction thread, its one intro topic per member.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad reaction to eye drops.  What symptoms are you having?  I'm sure this wave will pass soon, hang in there, you have done well, never taking any pain meds for 28 years, you must have a lot of strength.

It would be helpful if you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petu.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hi the night after I stopped antidepressants I started having to urinate at least 2 or 3 times a night and developed quite a severe pain in my pelvic e area so I went to the doctor .who took a blood sample he said they found no sign of cancer or infection and did a physical examination of my prostate. He said he found it to be fine so he would contact an expert and get back to me but he never did so much for my caring GO any way I have been off ads for nearly 7 months and if I could establish in .my mind that this is a withdrawel pain i can willingly keep going .I wonder if any one else has had a similar experience and would appreciate feedback .thankyou a great full patoski

Petu thanks for your reply I always look for your post because your always encouraging even when you feel negative and I know you're on the same journey I have to tell you this I a mobile phone and I am quite useless on it . I have

You see I've even messed up this post.petu I've come off 10mls ativan and 350 mls of doxepin and I intend to stay of no matter what withdrawel s do to me I'm an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink for nearly 40 years so I know how to hang in there thankyou for your support petu and I wish you well with your own struggle they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger let's hope they know what their talking about haha

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys just for the record I'm now off everything for 7 months. Don't time fly when your having fun the withdrawel symptoms have got much worse in the last 6 weeks. Especially in the head I'm still working in my restaurant although sometimes I wonder how .I was walking round Spitalfields market this morning and thinking if you knew how I feel you would all rush over to help me .truth is most of them didn't even know I was there. But I was quite happy with my self for even being out feeling the way I did. I'm on antibiotic drops for my eyes and I have 2 more weeks to go before they finish I hope iii feel better after that l know any kind chemical reacts badly on me that's why I now practice complete abstanace. I'm hanging in as usual thank God I'm 73 years young and not 73 years old . I wish you all recovery and a happy new year

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Patoski,

I joined your new post with your introduction thread, its one intro topic per member.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad reaction to eye drops.  What symptoms are you having?  I'm sure this wave will pass soon, hang in there, you have done well, never taking any pain meds for 28 years, you must have a lot of strength.

It would be helpful if you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petu.

Hi Patoski,

Could you fill out your drug history in your signature as per Petu's request. This makes it a lot easier for us to understand what you have been through and where you are now.

Thanks

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Where do I enter my signature?

• Moderator Emeritus

If you click on this link it will give you the instructions on what to do - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I was originally on

350 mils of doxepin

started in1975

through the years i tapered down to

100 mils

i stayed on this dose for many years and I came off them after a 6 months taper

I have now been off 7 months.

Patoski,

I moved your post from the topic in Read this First called "Please put your withdrawal history in your signature". Please do not post in that topic anymore. This is your topic here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7134-patoski-coming-off-antidepressants/?hl=patoski. Bookmark it so you can always find it.

Dalsaan gave you the link on how to do your signature above, it is also in MY signature below this post. If you have problems doing it, please post your question HERE IN YOUR THREAD and not elsewhere and we will try to help you with it.

Unfortunately, we cannot do it for you and it is important, really.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

You were on doxipen for 39 years?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Yes

Wow! Congratulations.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Patoski, it's good to see you are doing ok. It is a very strange feeling when you feel so ill and 

people are just going about their daily lives unaware of your suffering. I'm glad that you enjoyed 

being out even when you felt so bad.  It is amazing that you managed to taper from doxepin after

all those years, more than half your life! It must be hard to remember who you were before drugs

and how do you compare before and after when so many years have gone by? 

Well done it is a great achievement and I hope that the withdrawal symptoms settle down for you.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thankyou all for your reply I can't get my head around this signature thing I have asked others to help me but they have found it difficult too I just hope it's ok to keep posting here .I bet you're all thinking how did this idiot ever become a millionaire ha ha I wonder myself sometimes .

Mumma p I do remember who I was before alcohol and drugs I wasn't a bad boy but I got lost but with your help and the help of the people on this site I will find myself again

Patoski,

It is very ok to keep posting, the sig is just very helpful.

It is terrible what you went through, I am glad you survived.

(1-26-15: I have removed the posts about making a signature, it will make your story easier to read as they are not needed.)

Edited by cymbaltawithdrawal5600
removed text about how to add a signature and notified poster that posts about a signature would be removed

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

This is what you type for your signature:

I was originally on
350 mils of doxepin
started in1975
through the years i tapered down to
100 mils
i stayed on this dose for many years and I came off them after a 6 months taper
I have now been off 7 months.