SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

Hi good to find this site. Wishes to everyone in this process.

Having started antidepressant medication at 19, 31 now, and tried a variety of meds for years and was somewhat coping started to do my own thing with the tablets 7 years ago like stopping cold turkey if I suddenly felt better, stupid I know. And as far as I can remember was always put back on sertraline..but year and half ago doc put me on another ad and stopped sertraline cold turkey at this point was taking 100mg every second day and again I was stupid and I decided to do the alternate day thing as I always felt that the tablets were just keeping me alive really and not doing much else..so he stopped me cold turkey to try another tablet but after about a month stopped all ad as had linked the incredible anxiety to the new tab...have never experienced anxiety like that and resulted in job loss, being homeless and then more psychiatric intervention..so now 200mg a year and half ago of sertraline...feelings of de realisation restless legs but have had de realisation for years and never linked until now to the ad's..

.so have tapered to 50mg until July this year, then aug 25mg, sept 12.5mg and now on12.5mg daily...de realisation going!! But tapered 12.5mg and then stopped last week, first two days good but last three days hell ..constant suicidal feelings thoughts, clicking in head dizzy, flu like, shaking internal, anxiety, depressed, insomnia for three nights..so back on 12.5mg and managed to sleep last night and feel residual flu like today but better..if still feel flu like continuing should I up the dose? Thank you

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

NEW BUMP can't seem to change my title

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Hi Joannad. I am so sorry for all you have gone through. Someone with more experience will be along but for now I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the board.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Thanking you winning through! Feeling grateful for faith and feeling that has been restored whilst tapering..

Anxiety and internal shaking again..dunno what to do..go up again wait awhile..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joannad, welcome to SA.  How long have you been back on the 12.5? It can take a few days

for reinstatement to take effect so I would hold a little longer before trying a higher dose. You have

tapered faster than we would advise but you will get better, lots of us have tapered too fast and so 

you are not the only one.  When you have stabilised it would be best to wait a few weeks before

starting to taper again, then a slow taper will be the best way to get off the last few mg safely. 

We recommend a taper of 10% of the current dose, this means that the reduction will be less with

each cut.  Here is the topic for tapering sertralene . http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

It would help us if you could put your drug history in your signature strip, this link shows how to do that

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi thank you for your reply..

Went back on 12.5mg two days ago..which I had previously been on for 2 weeks

Having searched a few posts, I see that quite a few people have had spiritual awakenings - I had one before all this withdrawal and side effects started 7 years ago but attributed the symptoms to kundalini..I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to figure out what was actually happening but it was a really strong knowing that it all has something to do with meds..since tapering down to lose dose, have started to feel some connectedness again and feel energy which only started after the awakening but then was numbed out by drugs..this is what gives me faith, this really strong knowing after years of floundering about getting mentally worse and worse..it feels like the spiritual awakening is starting where it left off all those years ago.

Would be interested in others experiences..

Will type in my signature tomorow..will need to think which is not poss right now :)

Having been on them for years since 19 and before that had really unstable sense of self it feels like I'm starting totally anew..like a toddler in the world again..for years after the awakening and all these meds have been bothered by a feeling of an inner vacuum and constant questioning of where Is myself, what is myself..very distressing..a but more peaceful on this low dose and not so much of a feeling of inner void and doom..

Still anxious today going away tomorow for a week meant to be if can manage..how many days do you recommend staying on 12.5mg and then going up? I only have a pill cutter at the moment which doesn't cut very well I will only be able to try and sort out a liquid when I come back..what should I go up to if I decide this bearing in mind I only have a very inaccurate pill cutter at the moment. Thanks!

Can't believe that the inseccant questioning about who am I and constantly feeling an inner void has stopped after at least 7 years..and I cannot stop harping on about it haha..no wonder I struggled..since 19.. No intimate relationships really..no friendships or at least friendships where I wasn't being treated like crap..unsuccessful work history..sacked unable to keep work due to emptiness, panic, anxiety..I really am starting anew..I don't think all those things will magically come right after all those years but the Ad's undeniably had an effect on my personality and development as a person..

Hi Jonnad

I am a recent new member to this site and no expert but from what I have read on here I would stabilize on 12.5 for at least a month, stay on his dose certainly whilst you are away.

Stay strong

Reflex

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

Thank you Reflex..I have experienced what I think has been akasthasia in the past..a feeling of claustrophobia in my body, restless legs but that has improved since coming down low dose..just scared that further tapering ( although I don't intend to taper more until at least another month) sets off something that may be very difficult to reverse..it almost makes me feel it may be better to stay on the dose indefinitely..I see what my inner guidance says as I go..thank god that has come back..

Funny reflex..I'm going away to glastonbury but first travel to Bristol, just saw that is where your based..

This is the journey I'm making tomorow night..I'm just wondering if any advice on anything can take..was going to listen to binaural beats..but would like to be prepared..as far as I know sleeping tablets induced akasthasia and I'd rather not have that on this journey..I booked this when I've had no symptoms but now I'm anxious again..if it's hot and not able to open the windows I feel that this could trigger restlessness and panic..I do have Valium but haven't taken them for ages..so don't know if I'll have any reaction..any suggestions?

Thanks

• Administrator

Welcome, Joannad.

That is exactly why we advise a very slow gradual taper -- to keep the nervous system steady.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you altostrata experiencing restless legs quite badly again just now

Hi JoannaD,

Welcome to the best site ever for assistance tapering, information on withdrawal n people's stories of their recovery.

I'm relatively new to the board but can assure you that many of the people on here are very knowledgable.

I have hope for you. It just takes time. I have come to accept that I will not be med free by next year this time as I hoped. I will have several years of tapering different meds. You're inspiring to people here.

Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition

Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.

11 weeks ago I qt quit invega

10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Progress not perfection!!

Yes I feel soo lucky to have found this site..feeling that I need to be off them but not knowing how to..due to past experiences..yes slowly slowly...

• Administrator

Magnesium glycinate can help restless legs. See the topics on this in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum
http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Last two nights experiencing hot flashes, wave after wave up back, stabbing pains and cramps in legs and hips, very tense during day feels like constant hot adrenaline, stomach in knots, incredible fear, still stay on 12.5? When would be the latest could up dose or should not up dose? Thank you all that can reply.

I apologise for not being supportive to other members just too fearful to read any more at the moment. I wish everyone peace.

Think last year I had the same anxiety symptoms after cold turkey for 3 months before I saw a psychiatrist who then put me on 200mg which did settle things a bit a lot actually to the point of de realisation numb..

• Moderator Emeritus

Last two nights experiencing hot flashes, wave after wave up back, stabbing pains and cramps in legs and hips, very tense during day feels like constant hot adrenaline, stomach in knots, incredible fear, still stay on 12.5? When would be the latest could up dose or should not up dose? Thank you all that can reply.

Here is our topic on reinstatement, it should answer your question:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petulant had read this but still confused..I did the taper too fast I now know from 50mg to 25mg then 12.5 then stop. Now on 12.5mg after 6 days and constant anxiety feel very strange but don't think at the moment it's unbearable so might just wait here just didn't want to make things worse but I suppose we are all in the dark as we cannot know from one person to the next how things will go..won't know if I do need to go further up to jump back up to 25mg or go back up slowly..will read around more

The doctor has suggested Prozac I think to make the withdrawal easier but again I won't know how my nervous system will react. Looking back I think I have been in some form of withdrawal for 6 yrs.

Sorry autocorrect petu!

• Moderator Emeritus

If you have had some small improvement from reinstating 12.5mg, then I would hold there and give it more time.  Keep notes on paper of your symptoms, and rate their intensity, so you can really see what's happening.  If after 4 or 5 weeks, there are no more changes in symptoms, but you still have them significantly, you could possibly try another small updose.  It can take quite a long time for the nervous system for reach stability again, after becoming destabilized, so as long as you are not getting significantly worse, its best to hold at the current dose.

Please would you add the date you reinstated to your signature.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petu the magnesium worked a treat for the anxiety..will hold here..also lucky to be able to get donation based acupuncture, homeopathic remedies and praying like mad.

Good wishes and peace to all on here

I am worried now that the fast cuts to 12.5mg are going to catch up with me. Feel 'ok' just now, no inner tremors but if I hold here and feel alright, the earlier faster cuts may still catch up with me?

Dunno what this is have had it in various degrees over the years and definitely remember it from last years c/t..sense of dread like psychologically there is no solid ground to stand on...but life circumstances not the greatest so probably not helping..anyone recognise this? As I'm having no other symptoms don't want to up dose as yet..

• Moderator Emeritus

I would just hold where you are Joanna, hold for a few weeks and see how it goes. It is good that you are feeling

ok, and a long hold can only be a good thing. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Incredibly up and down moods - did experience so much fear yesterday from dp/dr (this has been ongoing problem) for years..felt so hopeless this morning as I also feel the need to change life circumstances or have a life would be more accurate but cannot seem to make a decision . Also coming up winter in the middle of nowhere in a caravan and don't drive so isolated but then the dp/dr makes being amongst people no that great really..

Feeling ok this afternoon going to get some fish oil tomorow.

Wishing everyone peace xxx

• Moderator Emeritus

In a caravan in winter in the middle of nowhere in INVERNESS  :o !

How on earth will you manage to get shopping and things? It is a beautiful place to be but on your own there

in winter could be a wee bit lonesome if you are snowed in. I'm glad you feel better, are you like me and come

round in the afternoon? I am useless in the mornings. can be suicidal in the morning but feel ok by teatime.

It is getting better though and it will for you too. It is great to feel good for part of the day. 

2002  effexor. 

Have you been to Inverness? Internet tesco shop :) good you feel good some of the day also..

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been to Inverness a few times, it is lovely there.  Tesco delivery is a life saver!  

2002  effexor. 

I am on the Black Isle do you know it? Where about are you if I can ask?

Such a bad day..brain fog, managed to get to work not sure how managed to keep going.., dysphoria, I think, suicidal thoughts..along with living circumstances isolated hope I'm gonna be strong enough to get through..looking back, I think I've had what could be decribed as dysphoria for years..jee whizz, and I'm not even off the ad's

Hope everyone ok

Also whole body jerking last night in bed, big fear before a truly awful nightmare urgh

• Moderator Emeritus

I am on the Black Isle do you know it? Where about are you if I can ask?

I lived in Scotland for 22 years and now South of England. Loved Scotland it is beautiful in every season. 

Things will settle down for you, just hang in there, your poor brain has a lot to put right but will get there.

2002  effexor.