LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

Going to collect, if can get out house diazepam..didn't want to go down this route at all but this is intolerable..I don't understand what has happened and whether to go up dose

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hi Joannad,

Sending my best wishes to you. You aren't alone. Go easy on yourself, ok?

April / 2016: Cipralex 10 mg, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Lyrica 600 mg, Diazepam 20 mg, Bystolic 5 mg

2018: Lots of polypharmacy which is undocumented here. Started and stopped several drugs and changed doses of existing ones

August / 2018: Back on track! Cipralex 15 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg, Diazepam 15 mg

September 2018: Cipralex 15 mg -> 12.5 mg

October 2018: Cipralex 12.5 mg -> 10 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg -> 3.75 mg -> Stopped, Diazepam 15 mg

November 2019: Cipralex 5 mg, Diazepam 10 mg

Thank you and to you.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Hey there. Hoping you are getting better. I'm so sorry for you. Are u ok being alone?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thank you

I am not ok alone when I posted about the 'worst' times. Normally I am ok alone. I do think I made a mistake with measuring the dose but I was also maybe triggered a little - I thought I saw someone who had moved away that had, last yr threatened to kill me - she was convinced that I was possessed - scary to say the least. But I was highly medicated at that time and maybe did not feel the full force of the fear and maybe only feeling the extent of it now. Also Christmas seems to be stressing me - I'm just, well was dreading it. And the fact that when I go to do this housesit I will have to pack all my belongings ready for storage as my parents are selling the house. And I'm broke and gutted that I couldn't keep my job going. And I will also have to find somewhere else to stay after the 2 months housesitting. In real life I am quite alone with just parents really but this wd makes it almost impossible to connect with life and others. So maybe it all got on top of me but the symptoms of fear seem to trigger a fear of the future but then any thoughts and fear of all the above may trigger more withdrawal symptoms. Chicken and egg.

I do think I'm going to have to find a way to deal with the fear that I could be left with chronic depression from the medication..that is the over-riding fear that when the windows and waves pass this might be what I'm left with.

I know this fear of being forever chronically depressed and in the mercy of drugs is really strong - I've felt it as well. But remember - you've had these moments of connectedness - and although it's so hard to feel that know - you know you had it and therefore I am certain you will have it again! It's deep inside you, slumbering, but yearning to be free.

There are people out there who have been diagnosed with chronic schizophrenia, drugged for many years, the medical profession has considered them as hopeless cases and maybe they have been thinking that about themselves as well. But they have slowly managed to come free from the drugs and found new meaning in life! Not without struggle for sure!

The journey is very tough! And certainly so in the midst of the waves. It's a crisis.

Hang on! It takes time for the nervous system to heal! You will heal!

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

Thank you Mjau

How do you get over this fear?

How are you getting on?

I'm actually a little better today.

Glad you're a little better! :)

Thank you Mjau

How do you get over this fear?
How are you getting on?

I have had these positive feelings a couple of times now. I've had a very strong feeling that I'm on the right track now at last, that tapering slowly is crucial and I'm able to take control over my life. I just don't know when I had such a strong feeling before. The memory of the feelings somehow stay with me when I'm low - I know logically that the lowness will pass although it doesn't feel that way in the midst of brain fog and anhedonia.

My condition has improved during the last month though I have set backs, and I'm still far from functioning "normally". I've experienced less overall depressiveness and anxiety. It would definitely not have been easy to overcome the fear earlier this year when I was in a much worse condition. I guess it's all relative.

Meditation and exercise is something I do almost on a daily basis. These two activities often help me when I'm overcome by negative emotions.

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

What kind of meditation do you do? And what kind of excercise..gonna have a go at an excercise tape later but the last time I did it, I had tremors for days after..

Hi J,

Glad your feeling better!

God bless!

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

What kind of meditation do you do? And what kind of excercise..gonna have a go at an excercise tape later but the last time I did it, I had tremors for days after..

I practice mindfulness meditation. I've tried some other meditations, for instance visualizing exercises, but mindfulness works best for me personally. It sometimes feels as though my brain goes through some kind of small partial re-booting when meditating :)

My goal is to do it every day at least 20 min, but I don't succeed with that all the time. (Today is such a day, it's been quite foggy....)

I have a cross-trainer and I try to exercise with it every second day.

I need the structure in order to do the meditation and cross-training, otherwise I probably wouldn't do them at all... which was the case earlier. I'm lousy at planning. I often have to drag myself to do these things but it's usually rewarding afterwards.

I think most importantly you have to find something that works for you, something that feels beneficial. Have you done any exercises and/or meditations before, that you were enjoying? 

A year ago my condition was very bad. I became very tired just walking outside. I had to rest. Eventually I was a bit better. A couple of months later I started doing some work out at home. I pushed myself too hard, I wasn't used to being in such a bad condition and didn't really know my limits. So my fatigue worsened. What I'm trying to say - listen to your body! Better to start with small steps. If you're not used to exercise maybe just taking walks outside would be enough, at least for a start.

Thank you tgirl.

I used to meditate a lot but I think it actually became about escapism and chasing good feelings eventually and I don't want to get into that again. I suppose I'm not sure what meditation is about really..there seems to be so many out there with so many different aims, I'm unsure what I'm meant to be doing really and why..

I already walk quite a bit but I still need to find something that feels a little intensive but not too much that it brings symptoms on again.

Very calm here too..I'm not used to this level of calm..instead of being able to enjoy fully I wonder if it's an artificial calm or it's the calm before the storm. Since the last awful wave (Saturday) my mind has been really still and non-moving, unlike its usual a million miles per hr.

Dunno if I'm in a wave again but I feel paralysed with fear..I was incredibly calm for days but started to experience thoughts about existential matters and then pretty much constant fear for two days..it could be a wave or withdrawal but I think (it's pretty hard to remember before the drugs) I've experienced this also when young..

I'm terrified, of existence would the only way to describe it. I cannot escape existence (and I don't want yo actually) but it would be nice if it weren't so terrifying. Nothing seems to help, talking to people, walking, yoga, nothing.

What exactly are you afraid of? I'm missing it. :-/

I have fears that come in waves and then they dissipate over a few weeks. It's still a wave, even if it was stuff that you have feared in the past. The way I see WD, everything i felt before drugs is now on steroids. It's the same sort of fears, but now they are paralyzing

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I don't know the fear is all consuming paralysing, but it doesn't seem connected to anything, it's just there.

The only way I can describe it, is fear of existence itself.

Hmmm.

If it makes you feel any better, I have had some pretty strange fears during this, and I do right now. Really really bizarre. I'm sorry for you. Hang in there.

Peace sweetheart. :)

Thank xx and to you.

It feels like there is no solid ground to stand on, like I'm just falling through groundless space.

It feels like there is no solid ground to stand on, like I'm just falling through groundless space.

Is it a physical sensation as well?

Hhhmm, not really but if it had a physical sensation that would be it..it's more that my psychological self just feels pure terror and therefore can find security in nothing at all

• Moderator Emeritus

Hhhmm, not really but if it had a physical sensation that would be it..it's more that my psychological self just feels pure terror and therefore can find security in nothing at all

I've been right where you are and I think I've even written (somewhere) something very similar to 'It feels like there is no solid ground to stand on, like I'm just falling through groundless space'

For me its been like the very essence of who I was, my 'self', the person who defined 'me' and everything I did, has been disintegrating, leaving nothing but this intense awareness of everything, but nothing to guide me, nothing to hang onto, nowhere to rest. 

'fear of existence itself' also resonates with me.  I remember one evening, probably about a year ago, I was in my kitchen, trying to make something to eat because I needed to eat to stay alive.  I wasn't feeling too bad, but I had an overwhelming sense that the burden of continuing to exist was too much, but it wasn't just my own existence, but all of existence.  Life in all its forms had become somehow wrong..... difficult to put into words really.

Perhaps this is similar to what you are going through.  I have to say that its become easier, but I honestly don't know if its 'gone away' or if I've just become accustomed to experiencing life this way.  Whatever this is, it does get better in time.  I still have the sense that I'm free falling through life but nothing particularly bad has happened and the fear is fading away.  Just breathe and keep going one step at a time.  You will get through this, we all will if we keep going.

One of my favorite quotes, Winston Churchill I think, said "When you are going through hell, keep going"

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

That describes how I feel perfectly.

That describes how I feel perfectly.

Glad Petu showed up... I was trying to get it, but couldnt. :-/ it's nice to at least know u are not alone.

Thank you for trying to get it though xx

Your most welcome

Wow, you guys summed up my feelings (when they become overwhelming, as they are right now) perfectly. It's pretty terrifying, that feeling of just hurtling through life without being connected to anything. It's like falling down a never-ending hole with no ledge or branch to grab onto. And Petu, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the seeming improbability of life carrying on at times. Some days I look out the window and think that every being must be feeling the way I do: just staggering along and basically waiting for it to all end. "Fear of existence" is a very concise way to put it. Lately it has astounded me whenever people discuss plans for the future, whether it be a week from now, a month, or a year. I think, "How do you have the energy and foresight to consider something like that?" Right now just showering, eating, getting dressed and going to work feel like a major accomplishment. Then I hear my friend mention something about building a deck over the weekend and I panic with the thought of how much mental and physical energy that must take. Daunting, the say the least.

Started zoloft 100 mg in 2001

Went off cold turkey in 2005, reinstated several months later

Reduced to 75 mg on Nov. 9, 2013

Reduced to 50 mg on Jan. 1, 2014

Reduced to 25 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on April 29, 2014

Reduced to 12.5 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on May 6, 2014

Reduced to 10 mg prozac on May 14, 2014

Went to 5 mg prozac + 12.5 mg zoloft on Nov. 10, 2014

Went to 25 mg zoloft on Nov. 17, 2014

Went to 50 mg zoloft on Jan. 8, 2015

I'm wondering if it was triggered by coffee I had in a restaurant, I'm thinking it was regular instead of the decaf I asked for, maybe not though.

Sorry you feel like this too, jackal smacker, it's pretty horrendous.

Nothing to guide you - totally relate to that..nothing, least of any of my thoughts make any sense at all.

• Moderator Emeritus

Some days I look out the window and think that every being must be feeling the way I do: just staggering along and basically waiting for it to all end.....

...Then I hear my friend mention something about building a deck over the weekend and I panic with the thought of how much mental and physical energy that must take.

JS, you reminded me, I've been doing this too, projecting my own subjective state onto everyone else.... and then when they talk about their own plans/responsibilities, I also experience a sudden surge of panic, and in the moment of confusion I don't know if I'm feeling my own feelings or theirs.

I have to constantly remind myself that its just me experiencing life in this extreme way at the moment, other people are not seeing what I'm seeing or feeling what I'm feeling.... they are fine.

I'm wondering if it was triggered by coffee I had in a restaurant, I'm thinking it was regular instead of the decaf I asked for, maybe not though.

It might have been, I can't even drink weak tea.  Not being able to drink regular coffee when you go out does add another element of fear to life, I discovered that recently when I ordered decaff and the person I was with had regular.  When the coffee arrived, there was some confusion about which one was which and I noticed my anxiety level went way up at the prospect of accidentally drinking regular coffee.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

In such confusion. It really annoys me that whilst I've been going through this 'chemical anxiety' for years, professionals that gave me the meds would try and teach me mindfulness..it just doesn't work when in this. I feel that everything that I can see and think confuses me..like everything that I can see..I don't just see it but I think about it..I just want to sleep through this. I don't think I'm making much sense at all but I'm just wondering if other people have experienced this..my mind is going at a million miles an hr but It's just a jumble of thoughts that aren't making sense. I'm not sure if this is just another form of derealisation but the physical world instead of just seeing it, seems to be producing confusion. Again, it is painful to exist.

I feel you, Joannad. I am almost to the point where I want to go back up to 50 mg and just stay there for the rest of my life - or at least until they develop a treatment or med that will provide adequate relief. I was not entirely happy while on that amount of medication but it was heads above how I'm feeling now. It would be one thing if I was having sporadic windows where I felt some connectedness to urge me on, but as it is there is nothing but fear and pain.

Started zoloft 100 mg in 2001

Went off cold turkey in 2005, reinstated several months later

Reduced to 75 mg on Nov. 9, 2013

Reduced to 50 mg on Jan. 1, 2014

Reduced to 25 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on April 29, 2014

Reduced to 12.5 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on May 6, 2014

Reduced to 10 mg prozac on May 14, 2014

Went to 5 mg prozac + 12.5 mg zoloft on Nov. 10, 2014

Went to 25 mg zoloft on Nov. 17, 2014

Went to 50 mg zoloft on Jan. 8, 2015

So sorry JS, yes I totally know how you feel. But I wasn't really very well for years on either..so it's a rock and a hard place. I have had windows but this seems one of the longest and hardest wave yet. How long have you been in a wave? What I was trying to say earlier, is the physical world seems confusing, like I can see everything is separate but to my confused mind it feels that when I look at the physical world it's all too much and I'm overwhelmed by objects, sounds, everything. And when I see hear something, I still see hear this over and over for ages..like everything is happening at once, instead of segments of time.

How are you coping? Did it lighten any?