SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

jctunes: introduction

jctunes

Hi,

I was hospitalized in October 2013. My diagnosis was brief reactive psychosis. Although I am pretty sure that it was induced by weed, but by the time I was hospitalized the weed was already out of my system. (Stopped smoking Sept 8 2013, and was hospitalized on 27th Oct 2013). I havent smoked weed since Sept 8 2013. The doctor forced me to take an injection of Invegga Sustenna, and additionaly I was taking Zyprexa and Diapine every night. My dosage of the medicine was gradually reduced. I stopped taking Zyprexa and Diapine on March 4th 2014. And my last injection of Invegga Sustenna was on May 24th 2014. I listened to my doctor when it came to taking the medication. through. There were times when I would just stare at the ceiling wishing that I could redo my life from an earlier point in time, and this is what I would normally be thinking about most of the time. I enjoyed sleeping and lucid dreaming instead of being awake. I still do now, I sleep for a good 12-14 hours everyday still. Now I can feel pleasure though. Things are not as depressing as they were. I enjoy eating, and also watching tv shows.. Although I have gained 28kgs (61 pounds) in the time since I started the medication last year. For 2 months from June 16th 2014 to the end of August I was exercising everyday and I hated it and exercising did not feel as good as it used to, since the end of August until now I have not been exercising.

During my psychosis, I would go through delusions, often about religions and spirituality. There was no controlling it and at that point in time everything seemed to be making sense no matter how delusional the thoughts were. When I watched the tv I would be relating things on the screen to real life and watching tv became hectifc. Since I have stopped taking the medications I was hoping that the weight gain would stop, but it seems that while I was taking the medication my eating habits got amplified and I still eat as much as if I were on the medicine. Overall life seems better then when I first came out of the hospital although gaining weight is depressing and I don't like being overweight. Other then that I am not working or studying, spending most of my days sleeping and watching tv. I am hoping to change this though.

Oct 2013 to March 2014 - Olanzapine, Diazepam

Oct 2013 to May 2014 - Paliperidone

July 2018 - Fall 2018 Paliperidone, Olazapine, Rivotril

September - November 2019 - Paliperidone, Olazapine, Rivotril

June 2020 - August 2020 - Olazapine, Rivotril

June 2020 - Paliperidone, Aca

September 2020 - Paliperidone

November 2020 - Paliperidone

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JCtunes, welcome to SA.  I am glad that you are getting better, and that you haven't had too many

withdrawal symptoms.  There is life after meds and you are well on the way to getting yours back. 

There are many helpful topics in the self care forums that will help you to get motivated and off the sofa.

It is hard when you have been so sick, and it seems overwhelming to get up and take control again but

you seem ready and eager to do that which is brilliant.  :)

Try gentle exercise to begin with, go for a walk every day, rain or shine and you will be surprised at how

much better you will feel. You can increase the distance gradually so that your body gets used to it. Healthy

food and light exercise and The  weight will start to fall away.  

Thank you for sharing your story, keep in touch and let us know how it's going won't you?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi mammaP,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I will try going for walks and building a routine, as for the healthy food, that is difficult but I will try also. I will update if I feel any significant changes. Thanks

jctunes

• 5 months later...

Hi.

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'll update. So far I've been active and resumed in university in January. Im doing it online though. Since my last post I've lost over 10kg. Ive been active in social sports, playing soccer, basketball, and badminton almost everyday. I also lift weights at the gym. Basically exercising alot and it feels good to be active. Im hoping to lose alot more weight and get in better shape still. I now feel that its possible. Overall im much happier. I still sleep 12 hours and sometimes more though and I enjoy that. Sometimes I get thoughts about smoking weed again but I have not done it. I know its bad for me and that I would feel like **** afterwards if I did it, and possibly risk psychosis again. Most people I hang out with smoke though so it makes things more difficult and temptation will be there. Anyways I guess in a way I'm glad that I had taken my medication and listened to my doctor. I think it helped me recover and become stable even though I gained alot of weight.

To save your sanity you must get new pot-free friends. You were very lucky to get off with a warning concerning the pot. But if you start again you may find out that the psychosis doesn't go away next time. I know this happens with alcohol, Cocaine and methamphetamine. Did you enjoy being crazy? Stay away from that drug and anyone else who uses it.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Administrator

jctunes, are you still off the drugs?

It sounds like other than being tempted by marijuana, you are well?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes still off the medication, stopped it May last year. I still visit the doc for regular check ups every month or two though. Next follow-up is tomorrow. Yes doing much better than I was many months ago

• Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...

Just Updating: 

I've finished my spring and summer terms for university and am about to start in my final year of study for my undergraduate study. Things have been going good. I went out socializing and partying a few times, drank alcohol in April, July, and earlier this week. I have not touched marijuana, and don't plan to. No cravings either. Active in social sports, at least 4-5 times a week; have not been going to the gym as often though, but hoping to start soon again. Lost almost 20kgs since my heaviest weight and many people have been complimenting me on this and it feels good. I've been taking health supplements (such as apple cider vinegar, vitamins, spirulina, pomengranate extract, and some others) in the morning, and sleep has been extremely good, except this week is not as great but still good, most likely because of partying too much earlier this past week. Although I have been losing weight, I feel my diet is not as optimal as it should be. Usually breakfasts is good as I have a fruit smoothie almost every morning, however lunch and dinner consists of unbalanced and junk food sometimes and I feel I should learn how to cook and make healthier meals which will also help my body and mind. I'm looking forward to getting in better shape, graduating from university next year, and hopefully getting a good job. My visits to the doctor have also been good, he wrote that my condition is recovered/good now. Next visit in September. 

• Administrator

Very good to hear, jc. Do you have any withdrawal symptoms now?

No withdrawal. The meds stopped last year and it was uncomfortable and difficult at first but all good now

• Administrator

How was it uncomfortable and difficult?

Used to feel down, depressed, and not feel like doing anything besides eating and sleeping, thats why I had gained a lot of weight. Most of the time I used to think what if I could redo things, or what if this hadnt happended or that happened instead, just regretting things mostly and pondering with unproductive thoughts. Eventually that stopped and I got back on track. Sleeping after the meds had stopped initially became a little difficult as well because I was taking them at 8pm sharp everyday and the meds would help knock me out. After a while got used to it though

• Administrator

How long did it take for those unproductive thoughts to stop? How long did it take for your sleep to recover?

Thoughts starting getting better when I was active and exercising, started slowly at the end of October 2014 and got much better when I started going to the gym consistently in December 2014. As for the marijuana cravings and thoughts, I think I had it because I was playing basketball and then after, friends smoked marijuana, I got a second hand smell from a distance, and then I had dinner with them after and they just seemed so relaxed and happy. However I knew I didn't want to do it or risk psychosis again. When I used to sit at home and not be engaged in anything productive, that's when the thoughts would go wild. 

As for the sleeping. For a month or so even after stopping the meds I would start to fall sleepy at around 8pm everyday, that was the time I stopped taking the zyprexa and diapine every night after the doctor said it was ok to stop. I wouldn't knock out right away though, maybe 30mins to an hour. On the meds I fell asleep everyday at 8pm sharp, right after taking them. However a couple months later after the meds had stopped my routine became really bad and I would be awake till morning and then sleep till evening on a reverse schedule for a while. Only when I started excising regularly I slowly started getting up earlier in the afternoon. Nowadays I will mostly wake up in the morning and not sleep as much as 12-14 hours but rather between 8-10 hours.

• Administrator

Good for you, sounds like you're listening to your body and it's worked well.

• 2 years later...

Its been a couple years since I logged in here and I am aware of the progress that I have made yet sometimes being surrounded by relatives and friends who  some say maybe well-intention yet highly critical and discouraging I feel like I need to reflect and share my progress. 

My environment also does not help that the environment is filled with highly superstitious individuals. I would like to update this forum and provide a ray of hope to those reading if you face something similar in your recovery process. I learnt that it does not pay to blame outside circumstances, so I will work with what I have got and share the updates below, just know that an amazing life is possible after hard times and I hope my post helps.

My focus is now launching my own venture and I am grateful for all the wonderful progress I have made through better habits and persistence, yet even now as I continue to grow, the criticisms and gossips of my relatives and friends is a little hurtful and I hope that if anyone reading this understands one thing is that life after medication can get better and sometimes our surrounding social circle may not be helpful, yet my advice is set goals and do not pay attention or let that affect you.

Along 2015-2017 -  I have exercised almost every, read over 30 non-fiction books on (self-development, habits, social interaction, goal-settings), watched lectures and videos on Youtube on self-development and even the days where I got a fever or did not feel like doing something, I made the effort to get up and go out and move in the park, sports facilities or gym. Additionally, listened to a lot of Oldies and Classical music through this period and now as well. 

Presently:

Exercise everyday first thing in the morning regardless of whether I will play sports later on during the day. Creating and building my own company, something I have dreamed of since I was young and I am working on this to add value to society.

Few notes on the things which I believe had a massive impact on my recovery after medication:

• First thing in the morning for 2 years : Had a Mixed Berry and Banana smoothie
  • I exercised frequently along with sports and socialized (Did all this even all the times I did not feel like it)
  • Kept a journal and vented all my thoughts and feelings. I threw away the journal recently and before I did,  re-read all my notes and laughed at some of the things I wrote/vented.
  • Music. Positive Oldies music made all the difference for me and kept me in a good mood frequently. 

In 2013-2014: Life was not so good -  Small steps to adjust habits proved great. (The sum is: Post-Medication, Repetitive negative thoughts, Lazyness, Massive weight gain (About 70+ Pounds at my highest weight point)

December 2014: Reapplied for admission to university (online) and resumed in January 2015 (Started with 5 online classes)

Summer 2015 - Continued university in addition to certificate courses and singing and acting classes. Social interaction frequently. 

December 2015- Lost over 70 Pounds. Fit and positive period. Went for many networking events for startups while working on university degree (Took extra classes every semester to finish quicker)

Spring 2016- University continued, learnt web design. Networking frequently, and tech events. 

Summer 2016: Finished Undergraduate School (Along with additional technology certificate courses)

Spring 2017: Finished Graduate School on Campus - Completed (Along with learning programming and part-time Mandarin courses)

Worked in startups, learnt to code. Currently I play sports 4-5 times a week.

jctunes

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ jctunes: Introduction
  • 2 years later...

I had a couple relapses. Back on Invegga, Aca, Rivotril, and Olanzapine :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that. 

Q:  What is Aca?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Not sure about its chemical name, the doc said its to reduce the side effects from the other medicines

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ jctunes: introduction
  • Administrator

Why all 4 drugs? That seems excessive. Suggest you put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

and consider the cocktail.

Please let us know when you want to taper.

• Altostrata changed the title to jctunes: introduction
On 7/27/2020 at 4:30 AM, Altostrata said:

Why all 4 drugs? That seems excessive. Suggest you put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

and consider the cocktail.

Please let us know when you want to taper.

I feel the side effects clearly as mentioned on the drug-interaction website. The dosage has been reduced for some of them, however, I am meeting the doc again on the 8th and will see what he says. My weight gain is also back. I am the heaviest I have been since this recent relapse. I gained a lot of weight very fast as a result of over eating which probably comes as a coping mechanism from the crisis along with amplified eating from the medicines. I am optimistic that the dosage will be gradually reduced but at the moment the side effects of feeling is really annoying and I am trying to eat less but it feels like I have no control over that. I'll keep posting as things progresses. If it were up to me, I would reduce all the drugs, but I have to wait and see what the doctor says in the next appointment.

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

• Administrator

You need to discuss the interactions report with the doctor.

You are taking duplicated drugs. This is not good medical practice.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

• 4 weeks later...

The doctor removed two of the drugs - Olanzapine on the 8th and Rivotril on the 23rd. Only Invegga and Aca remaining.

I feel good, exercising everyday and had the focus to finish reading a book.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/2/2020 at 9:00 AM, Altostrata said:

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
6 hours ago, jctunes said:

The doctor removed two of the drugs - Olanzapine on the 8th and Rivotril on the 23rd. Only Invegga and Aca remaining.

I feel good, exercising everyday and had the focus to finish reading a book.

Well, this is progress. Did you talk about the drug interactions report with your doctor?

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature  We need this information to answer your questions.

Yes, I mentioned to the doctor that I was unhappy with the side effects of the medicine - Made this point very clear. I also mentioned that I did not want to create conflict in the way the doctor was treating me because he has had good results in my prior episodes, essentially in other words saying that I would continue to take the meds if the doctors opinion was that I should do so

I started building a routine around exercise along with a personal trainer and on rest days by my self. I have added a berry smoothie every morning for breakfast. Aside from being a little chubby/overweight which I am working on, things are going well.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I wanted to post an update since its been many months. In September all the medications were stopped except for the Paliperidone injection (Invegga Trinza). The latest dose was on November 17th 2020 (350mg). The dose made me feel very drowsy and sometimes restless which seemed to last until the 3rd week in. At the moment its manageable. The doctor is going  to reduce the next dose of Paliperidone injection to around 250mg which will be in feburary. I have agreed to remain on the Paliperidone until 2022. The reason is because from 2018-2020 I had yearly episodes and the doctor wants to make sure the psychosis does not occur again.

At the moment I have fallen into an unproductive loop similar to Oct 2014, while sleeping 12+ hours everyday. I exercise a few times a week but I do not feel like doing it and working out feels like a chore. The things that I seem to enjoy are sleeping and eating. My weight is at around 105kgs (ideal weight 85kg). I felt this way in 2014 as well during recovering from my first psychosis and I am hoping that after 2022 when the Paliperidone injections stop I can feel better again

• 4 months later...

*Switched from Paliperdone (Invega Trinza ~250mg) to daily tablets (3mg)

• 5 months later...

Switched from Invega 3mg to Reagila 1.5mg

• 3 months later...

Been taking Reagila 1.5mg on alternate days for about 2 months as per doctors orders. I’m very lazy nowadays. I mostly just sleep, eat, and watch tv. My mood and focus is pretty good. The frustrating thing is I weight about 107kg and exercise weekly but the weight hasn’t come off yet because I eat too many calories and sleep at odd hours. I’m hoping to lose some weight when I’m completely off the medication which should be in a few months. Still trying in the mean time

• 4 months later...

Been off all medication for a week now. I feel a bit nervous but also happy to be off. Doc said I can stop meds. I still keep some prescription of Rivotril which doc said to have if I can’t sleep. Weight is at about 105kg. From end of Jan to April I had brought it down to 98kg but gained the weight back. I don’t sleep as much as before but sleep earlier and wake up early (now usually between 6.5-9 hrs) mostly because I got a puppy. I’ve been reading a lot of non fiction books, watching movies/tv shows and playing video games sometimes. 

• 5 months later...

Been off all medication (except Rivotril which I take by choice) since May. Started time restricted feeding and calorie restricting since June 23rd 2022. I’ve reduced 28.3kg as of todays my weight is now 80.5kg as of today. I wrote down a goal to get to 80kg by Jan 2023 so that’s going great. Sleep is good. Taking 0.5mg of Rivotril every night pretty much and sleep between 7-9 hrs on average. My puppy wakes up in the middle of the night most days and I have to take her out to go pee so it’s sometimes interrupted and then I go back to sleep after that. I wake up happy and well rested most days. Things are going well on the mental and physical health part. I had doubts in 2020 whether I would lose weight or recover from the medication induced unhappiness or depression but it’s gone and I’m very grateful and happy. 😄

• 8 months later...

Update: I had reached my set out fitness goal, to 79.2kg before my goal date. And then slowly stopped working out and counting calories since December; My weight is now back at the starting point. I have to start eating in a caloric deficit again at least for a few months to reduce the weight gain again. Although emotionally and mentally I am healthy and happy. I sleep around 7-9 hrs daily. I usually exercise 30 minutes in the evenings and also take my dog for a walk. I’ve reduced taking Rivotril to only when I feel like I cannot sleep. Most nights I consume chamomile tea and watch an episode or two on tv and then sleep. My dog is also in tune with my sleep routine so no midnight sleep disruptions. A bad habit I picked up since December was frequent socializing and alcohol consumption; the habit kind of snuck up on me to the point where I was consuming alcohol multiple times a week though in moderation. I became laxed about it until last month where I decided to make a change and got rid of all the accumulated alcohol at home. Overall mood, sleep, and health is good. Just have to work on weight loss. I still keep Rivotril in case I cannot sleep and been completely off all other medication for over a year.