Lady14 wanting to taper Paxil

Lady14

Hi! This is my first post and my first time joining any group.  I have been on Paxil (generic Paroxetine) 10 mg since October 2011. I am really interested in starting to taper it.  I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next month and woudl like input on how to taper and see what the doctor says.  I never had anxiety or depression but one day it just came upon me out of the blue.  I didn't realize it was anxiety.  I had 2 doctors.  One put me on Xanax .25 mg to cut in half.  I switched doctors when I felt like he didn't care and made rude comments.  I got a new PCP and he put me on Celexa (only about 4 days). I quit because it didn't work (didn't realize that it coudl take 6 weeks).  He put me on Prozac (lasted only a few weeks, once again didn't know it coudl take weeks).  He then sent me to a psychiatrist who put me on the Paxil at 10 mg.  Once I started that within a few days I actually started feelign better. I had anxiety due to not understaning the symptoms of it.  I feel that I am readly to come off of it.  Any input from anybody would be helpful.  Thanks!!

Celexa 20 mg (August 2011)  Only took for 4 days.  Side effects

Proza 20 mg (August 2011)  Only took for a couple of weeks made anxiety worse

Paxil (generic) 10 mg October 2011 to present

Wanting to wean off of Paxil 10 mg in November 2014

Hey there!

Here to say welcome. Alto or one of the others will be along soon to give you some advice about tapering.

One thing I can tell you, please wait until Alto or someone experienced comes to help you, even if you have spoken to your Dr. Tapering is something you need to be fully informed on, and this is really the best source of practical information.

Be well :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lady14,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.  I'm glad you found us before beginning your taper off Paxil, you have probably saved yourself from a potential nightmare of withdrawal symptoms.  Many of us are here because we tapered too fast while believing we were doing it right.  I came off Lexapro much too fast and started having withdrawal symptoms, unfortunately I didn't know this is what it was and got diagnosed with something else, and medicated for that. 

Sadly, most doctors don’t have a clue and often advise tapers that are much too fast and  lead patients to going back on the drug because of withdrawal symptoms, which get mistaken for a 'relapse' or diagnosed as another condition.

See:  What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms

How are you feeling at the moment?  Are you having any side effects from the paroxetine?

As JDM1984 noted above, this site contains the best and most successful tapering methods, collected through years of experience with thousands of people trying to come off these drugs.  We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this post which will explain why:

http://survivinganti...0-of-my-dosage/

... and here are Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)  http://survivinganti...xil-paroxetine/

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I am so happy to hear from everybody.  I do not plan to do any tapering without talking to my doctor. As far as how I am feeling..I feel really good.  I had no trouble witht he Paxil at all. No side effects or anything.  It did help me but I feel like it is time to start tapering.  I understand the potential side effects from tapering too fast and I really want to avoid any unpleasant side effects that would put me back on this.  I just wonder how you taper the Paxil 10% with 10 mg.  I will defintely talk to my doctor and am wanting all the information I can get and support so I can hopefully avoid unpleasant side effects. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please read the links I posted for you, especially the one about how to taper paxil, it will explain the various methods, including using a liquid, this is actually the easiest method and the one we recommend.  Paxil does come in a liquid, not all antidepressants do.  If your doctor is like most, he/she will suggest a faster taper, and some people can actually come off these drugs without many problems, but others need to taper slowly and its impossible to know which kind of person you are.  We believe its better to minimize the risk by tapering slowly.

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Are the withdraw symptoms as bad as I have been hearing?  I do NOT plan to quit cold turkey.  I want to do is slow and I do not care how long it takes.  I amn really nervous about the withdraw symptoms.  Has anybody had success coming off of this and not have any long term symptoms?

How does one taper from Paxil at 10 mg???

Look at the link Petu gave you. It's all there.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

Are the withdraw symptoms as bad as I have been hearing? I do NOT plan to quit cold turkey. I want to do is slow and I do not care how long it takes. I amn really nervous about the withdraw symptoms. Has anybody had success coming off of this and not have any long term symptoms?

Yes, people do get through it. The tapering process is something you need to be prepared for. And, everyone's body is different. Some of us have more trouble than others. Also, keep in mind that if you are reading our stories, some of us tapered too fast because we didn't know any better. And, even amoung those of us who fall into this category, there is much variety in symptoms, severity, and duration.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.