SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

sandi: 60 mg Remeron, 50 mg seraquel, 2 mg Klonopin(tapering)

sandi

I'm from the benzo group. I'm tapering off 2 mg klonopin i'm only at 1.7 and I had to hold bc I have IBS from starting my klonopin taper and I'm a wreck. I'm 60 years old had a good job until 4 months ago I was taking serquel 50 mg and klonopin 2 mg for sleep and they stopped working. I ve been taking them 10 years. I started my taper after my doc gave me 15 remeon and he kept uping the dose to 60.  I'm so frail from losing wieight and the remeron knocks me out but i think its too high  and causing my ibs constipation. i asked the benzo group what to do about getting lower on my remeron and they sent me here.

I'm scared to do anything. I'm holding at 1.7 right now bc I'm getting shaky and worse IBS symptoms. i lost my insurance and am in process of getting insurance so no doctor yet. my pdoc sees me for small cash basis. its the least he can do for getting me in this mess. I mean I did it to my self byt he knew I wanted to be off these drugs and said not to worry.

i wake up and i'm in such a stupor from the remeron and its making me  drowsy all the time.

any help would be appreciated

I am currently tapering 2mg Klonopin. since August. I have been on 2 Mg Klonopin, 50 mg seraquel since 2004.

I was Rx 60 remeron in May 2014 when I had a break down sort of:: my seraquel and klonopin quit working and I became very sick probably would call it tolerance but i was getting sick before that but was able to work. I had to quit a very nice, high paying job. I am getting very sick as I taper down to 1.7 mg K and I am holding > Thinking at some point soon I would like to reduce the remeron to maybe 30 mg. Or until I get wd that I can't handle like I am getting from K. The seraquel isn't helping me sleep the remeron is making me real tired and sluggish. I am very sick.

I'm taking all of the above for sleep and I am too sick to stay on 60 mg remeron. I am tapering off 2 mg klonopin but but the remeron is making my IBS really bad (constipated all the time) I am not doing well on my K taper at 1.78 and holding right now cuz I'm unable to function. I think i'm on too much remeron. I want to get off this high dose. anyone tried tapering off benzos and remeron at the same time?

I am currently tapering 2mg Klonopin. since August. I have been on 2 Mg Klonopin, 50 mg seraquel since 2004.

I was Rx 60 remeron in May 2014 when I had a break down sort of:: my seraquel and klonopin quit working and I became very sick probably would call it tolerance but i was getting sick before that but was able to work. I had to quit a very nice, high paying job. I am getting very sick as I taper down to 1.7 mg K and I am holding > Thinking at some point soon I would like to reduce the remeron to maybe 30 mg. Or until I get wd that I can't handle like I am getting from K. The seraquel isn't helping me sleep the remeron is making me real tired and sluggish. I am very sick.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum Sandi, I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling so much.  I've moved one of your topics from the benzo forum to your intro thread here, your situation is complex with several medications involved, so it will be easier to initially discuss things here, until you get back on track.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

Are you still taking seroquel?  If not, when did you stop taking it and did you taper.  If you could fill out your signature with details of your drug history, that would be helpful.  We need dates of starting and stopping drugs, dosages and details of tapering.  Putting a short version of your drug history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

The maximum recommended dose of remeron is 45mg, so I agree that you are taking too much.  But we don't advise reducing two drugs at the same time.  Because remeron is causing the worst side effects, I would suggest holding on your klonopin taper for now, and focus on getting off remeron, or at least getting the dose lower.  Did 15mg help?  Why did your doctor keep increasing your dose?

Are you having any other symptoms at the moment besides IBS, shaking and drowsyness? Are you sleeping now?

Here are our tips for tapering off Remeron:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine

Once you get back to us with a few more details, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.  Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you yes I am still on 50 mg seraquel I am sleeping ok not great . I was having more symptoms before I held on my taper of K. I have only been on these drugs . Before I got on klonopin I took OTC sleep aids. I'm not sure how to put my hx on my signature . I read a lot of horror stories coming off remeron. My pdoc is always wanting me to up the dose. I remember when I started seraquel bc the klonopin wasn't working he told me I could take 100mg seraquel if I needed for sleep !!! So today I'm still trying to figure out this site I would like to change my password as the one you sent me is too hard Thankx

*note, post moved from the pinned signature information topic

Adding info to my signature
Sandi
Tapering 2 mg Klonopin
50 mg seraquel
60 mg remeron
100 mg gabapentin
Wanting to taper 60 mg remeron

Edited by Petu
added note

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure how to put my hx on my signature .

Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Please would you include dates so we know how long you have been on these drugs.

I would like to change my password as the one you sent me is too hard Thankx

You can change your password by clicking on the down arrow next to your name in the top right corner of any page.  Go to 'my profile', then click on the the 'edit my profile' button at the top right.  You change your password from there.

You are on a lot of drugs, its no wonder you are feeling the way you are.  I put your medications in the interactions checker on drugs.com and each of your drugs increases the possibility for:

side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1147-0,703-357,1640-1015,1979-1274

Please read the tips for tapering Remeron link I posted, it has information about how to safely taper so your don't have to go through awful withdrawal.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Please help me I did all you asked me to do. But I haven't got any input on how I should continue with tapering off 60 mg remeron. What is 10% and can I dry cut the dose? Is 6 mg 10% and do I subtract that from 60 so that would be taking 54mg ?? For 2 weeks ?? I could take a 45 mg plus 9 mg? I can't do the math. I'm really in sure how to proceed. I am afraid this medication is going to be hard to get lowered. I don't know how to reach out for help bc this site is hard for me to maneuver. Please help me I need guidance. I'm very frail and weak. How should I get my prescription filled? Can I ask for different size pills without getting the doctor to change it ? I don't see him for awhile. He's going to think I'm wrong for getting off of it or lower wing it but he may be supportive I don't know. Any suggestions on how to talk to him?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sandi,

I posted a link for you with information about how to taper remeron:

Here are our tips for tapering off Remeron:

http://survivinganti...on-mirtazapine/

Reading through it will answer most of your questions.  10% of 60mg is 6mg, so you need to take 54mg to decrease by 10%.  We recommend reducing by 10% of the current dose each month, please read the link, this is explained there.

45 + 9 = 54, so yes, this is a way to take 54mg

are you taking 2 x 30mg per day at the moment?

Its possible to dry cut, but it can be difficult to be accurate unless you use a digital scale.

If you take one 30mg plus 3 fourths of a 30mg, you will be taking 52.5mg, which would be a 12.5% reduction, which may be ok to start with.

Using a liquid can be more accurate.

Reduce by titrating a liquid
While water solubility of mirtazapine is "slight" according to http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00370
you may wish to make a suspension of it with water.

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Or, with a prescription, you can have a liquid made by a compounding pharmacy.

You are doing fine with asking for help, just do as you are, ask your questions here on your thread.

You will need to see your doctor to get different sized tablets prescribed.  Your doctor may have an opinion about whether you should stay on the drugs, but its you who is taking them and suffering the side effects, not him, so ultimately its your decision, hopefully he will work with you.  I suggest you be calm, polite and firm. 

Request that your prescription be filled with the lowest dosage tablets or combination that includes the lowest dosage and split them into quarters for the smallest decrements. (A quarter of a 7.5mg tablet would be 1.875mg.) If you are very sensitive to dosage reductions, you may wish to weigh tablet fragments, see Using a digital scale to measure doses

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you for your help. I don't understand how to use a scale. I would rather dry cut . I only want to go to 30 or 15 depending on how it effects me. I need to figure out what to do . I can get my doctor to understand or at least help me. I'm currently tapering a benzo but very slow. Like .20 every other night or every night depending on how I feel. I'm currently changing my night benzo dose to 2x day dose so should I wait until that's completed? Before I start my Remron taper. One person told me to drop to 45 from 60 overnight and said I wouldn't feel anything. I can't believe he said that. From the benzo group who also wants to taper his Remron. He said he tapered from 30 to 15 and didn't feel that bad but then went back up to 30. Why would someone up dose if they didn't feel the wd?? So not a reliable source . Glad I found you. Can you tell me how often to cut? Is it every 2 weeks? It's hard to go back and forth but you gave someone a formula like for instance for me look like 60> 54> 49> ? Is that what I would do? Thanks!!

I forgot to answer your question I take 1 45 and 1/2 30 mg. I just noticed you rec to cut once a month. So during that month could I taper my Klonopin?

Hi Sandi, I too am trying to taper off remeron and having a difficult time. I was on 45 now I'm on 7.5. I am very scared. So your not alone.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I forgot to answer your question I take 1 45 and 1/2 30 mg. I just noticed you rec to cut once a month. So during that month could I taper my Klonopin?

No, we recommend tapering only one drug at a time, so if I were you, I would hold on the Klonopin taper and just reduce the remeron until you get it to where you want, then when you feel stable again, you could continue with the K taper.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Oh boy ok how long would it take to taper from 60 at 10% to 30? I am wondering if I can hold the K for that length if time. Please help me with the math as I have trouble with math before I got poly drugged . Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm currently changing my night benzo dose to 2x day dose so should I wait until that's completed? Before I start my Remron taper.

I'm sorry, I missed this question.  Yes, it would be better to wait until you are stable on your split benzo dose before beginning the remeron taper.

Normally, it could take up to 8 months to reduce from 60mg down to 30mg, by reducing by 10% of the current dose, but because you are on such a high dose and have only been on it since may, you may be able to reduce a little faster, depending on how you feel.  If I were you, I would start with a cut as close to 10% as you can, by dry cutting, and see how you feel after 2 weeks.

If you have a specific question about the math, ask it here and someone will be able to help.  Or perhaps you have a friend or family member who is good at math?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sandi

It may be that you can make bigger cuts of remeron but it's best to make a conservative first cut and see how your body responds. I really only struggled when I got lower down. I went from 45 to 30 no problem

Also, it's important to note that the sleep effects of remeron are more significant at lower doses and drop out at the higher levels. Some people are put on 45 to address the sedation that comes with the lower dose. If you dr has put you on remeron for sleep and then jacked it up he's missed the point on this

So, I would hold your benzo taper (as Petu) said, make a conservative first cut and then see if you have any wd symptoms from that. You may not have. Listen to your body- it will tell you if you are going to fast

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

You might try 45/2 + 30 = 52.5 mg. I did dry cut down to about 15 mg. I cut the 30 mg in up to 8 pieces. Good knife and cutting board gave me ok pieces. At the doses you are at right now i do not think you need to worry on a dose differing a gram or so. I managed to drop quite much in the beginning. Try a 10-15 % drop and if you are ok after 4 weeks might try a little more, if it was rough, try less.

I also think that you should focus on lowering Mirtazapine to a more reasonable dose first.

Wulfgar

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2012-> Tapering Mirtazapine and Zopiclone at different rates unsuccessfully.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-05 - 2013-11: Mirtazapine taper monthly 25 20 15 11 8 4 2.5 mg
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19
2013-12-31 M:2.5. Reinstated Zopiclone 3.75 due to Insomnia
2014-01-06 M:2.5. Taper Z 1.9 ... 2014-01-14 M:2.5. Z 1 mg.
Jumped of Zopiclone 01-20. Jumped mirtazapine 02-16.

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.
Zopiclone free for 251 days. Mirtazapine free for 224 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Definitely hold your K taper for now. There is no problem holding the K for as long as you need to while you taper Remeron. You definitely don't want to be trying to taper those both at the same time.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Ok thanks everyone. I am actually sleeping better at 60 then I did at the lower doses but am having severe depression right now. My 45 mg pills are not scored so cutting them in half may or may not be an accurate half. Is that correct in saying this? I am still tapering K for now and when it gets time to hold I was going to cut my Remron dose. Someone suggested 15% at first which would be 9 mg? So 60 -9=51. 51 would be 45 + 6mg. Correct? I have 15 mg that are scored I could try 7.5 + 45 = 52mg. I'm worried about sleep right now as that is the only escape I have from my life. My life is not good lots of pain can't walk due to plantar fascitis. I need a light at the end. I don't see one. No family or friends to help me. Very lonely. I need some expert advise as to when to taper what. Benzo people say get off benzo first but getting off K is only making me sicker not sure if reducing Remron would be helpful but think I'm on too high of dose. Please help I can't seem to know what to do. Thanks. I am sorry this may be convoluted but I am too depressed to think straight. Please help with what you think the benefits would be if I lowered my remeron dose? Less constipation would be wonderful. I have IBS c from this benzo /seraquel/remeron mess. Very sad and have trouble eating. Remron doesn't help that either

• Administrator

Welcome, sandi.

It seems you're reading this on a cell phone and missing a lot of the information we give you.

Petu checked the potential interactions of 4 of the  drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker. Here they are http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1147-0,703-357,1640-1015,1979-1274

Interactions between your selected drugs
interaction-2-big.png clonazepam ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using clonazePAM together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-2-big.png clonazepam ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using clonazePAM together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png gabapentin ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: gabapentin, Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using gabapentin together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png gabapentin ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: gabapentin, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using gabapentin together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png mirtazapine ↔ quetiapine

Applies to: Remeron (mirtazapine), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using mirtazapine together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Generally, this cocktail you're on causes dopiness and inability to think clearly. It's a bunch of sedative-like drugs.

Remeron does indeed cause constipation, see http://www.drugs.com/sfx/mirtazapine-side-effects.html

We recommend changing the dosage of just one drug at a time. If you want to reduce Remeron, this means holding on tapering the benzo.

We also suggest going off the more activating drugs first and leaving the benzo for last.

You understand the reason to taper the benzo slowly. It is the same for Remeron. Please read this carefully: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine

Have you looked into exercises for plantar fasciitis? They have been found to be very effective. See

You might also look into physical therapy.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I can't believe you posted all those warnings after you already told me what I already know that I'm on a bunch of meds and that's why I'm here trying to get off of them. I feel like you are magnifying my problem by posting the warning signs. You are not very compassionate to do so. I'm here to get help not feel rediculed for being put on these meds by my pdoc. It's him you should give these warnings to. I know they are scarey lease remove them from my post so I don't have to look at them and feel worse than I do. I want help not condemnation. Do you think I didn't see you said that the first time? Why ? I read everything you post and yes my phone allows me to read it all, I have been trying to figure how to taper off remeron by dry cutting. Minot sure if dry cutting is best. My pharm doesn't do compound so I'm not sure what to do. My benzo group is very supportive but the admin sent me here to get the best info on tapering remeron. I'm not sure yet as to what is the best way if you can't compound. I tried 52 mg last night but I had a horrible night and going to stay with 60 until I figure a better method. My K tapering has been going well very slow but doing ok. I know one drug at a time but I want off the benzo more than anything. It's not a cut and dry post as to how you can help me but one thing for certain I don't need to be reminded of how many drugs I am on as I am fully aware of the combination it I was doing what my pdoc said would help. I know I need to think about these suggestions and not just follow but I trusted him.

• Administrator

Understanding the interactions between your drugs will help you understand your reactions to dosage reduction of any of them, and help you distinguish between withdrawal symptoms and drug reactions. It is important information.

You also need this information to discuss any further prescribing with your doctors. In short, they need to be careful adding anything else to this mix.

We've done our best to give you guidelines for reducing Remeron. There are instructions in the link you've been given twice Tips for Tapering Remeron http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine

There is no magic to dry cutting. If you want to be precise, you need a scale or a liquid. If you don't care about that, cut the tablet up as best you can. Wulfgar had an excellent suggestion above.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Sandy, hope your holding up. Do you live in the US?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

I'm not holding up very well. I appreciate your link. I don't know what to do. I know the meds I'm taking cause drowsiness and poor concentrating. Wulfgar was help but the 45 tabs aren't scored so doesn't that mean each side may not be equal? I tried a 12% reduction last night and it was terrible. I didn't sleep and have felt sick all day. I think I'm going to get off the benzo first. What do you think about that? The remeron is at least helping me sleep even at the high dose. I don't know what else to do. But I'm wondering if anyone had problems tapering like I did last night and if anyone had to go with a less % or is it that I'm still in tolerance and wd from benzo and that's why I had a hard time tapering. I took 52 (45+7.5) last night and I'm going back to 60 tonight until I figure something else out. I wonder if the 45 tablets are safe to cut and assume each half is around 22 since they are not scored?? Please don't warn me about the dangers of all the meds I am on I am fully aware of this and if just makes me feel sicker than I am. I am going to heal from these meds once I figure out how to do it with the least symptoms. I live in California why do you ask? Please help me. I have read the link to tapering remeron but I did not do well and wonder if anyone else experienced wd on such a small cut?

• Administrator

You can get a pill cutter at a drugstore. Still, liquid titration is a lot more precise if you need smaller decreases, which it sounds like you do.

This is just an Internet forum. All we can do is give you information, unless there's someone who lives near you on this forum who would volunteer to help you in person.

Do you have any friends or relatives who can help you?

I don't know which of your drugs is causing you the most problems, that's why we look at drug-drug interactions. You will have to make these decisions yourself, if you cannot find a doctor who will help you minimize drugs.

I have a pill cutter. I was under the impression that liquid titration wasn't used with remeron when I read the files as it doesn't disolve well? I can't remember I will check again. Could someone give me an idea of how many mls to use? I know hwat meds are cusing me the most problems they all do but I know which ones I want to taper fisrt is the klonopin, then I might reduce the remeron to a lwer dose if I can handle the wd. then seraquel. then finish the remeron.

• Moderator Emeritus

While water solubility of mirtazapine is "slight" according to http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00370
you may wish to make a suspension of it with water.

Reduce by making a liquid with the "orally disintegrating" tablets
You may be able to dissolve the orally disintegrating tablets in water and use an oral syringe to take a measured dosage.

Please do read the thread again.  If you decide to use a liquid, we can't tell you how many mls to use, it depends on the concentration that you make, please carefully read through:   How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

I know hwat meds are cusing me the most problems they all do but I know which ones I want to taper fisrt is the klonopin, then I might reduce the remeron to a lwer dose if I can handle the wd. then seraquel. then finish the remeron.

If you are going to continue with your klonopin taper, please hold on the remeron, we recommend only tapering one drug at a time.  As Alto has written, we can't tell you what to do, only give you information so that you can make your own informed decision.  Please read back through all the suggestions which have been offered here in your thread.

I'm sorry that you are finding it difficult to think straight at the moment, I do believe that once you get the doses of your drugs lower, your thinking will improve.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

We have several people here who are successfully using DIY liquids to taper Remeron.

What is DIY liquids? Could you tag me in thier post or somehow connect me with someone using DIY liquids with Remeron. I have a question it seems the lower I get on my Klonopin dose the more sedating the remeron is? Is this possible or could it be the remeron is just so high of a dose many factors could be taking place. Please don't post anything frightening. I'm already traumatized by the benzo taper. But any one want to share DIY taper with remeron? Thanks!!

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't used remeron personally but there is a topic on how to make a liquid from tablets here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Dear Platinum star

I went to that link and it  is sooo confusing.I don't know what concentration I need. I need someone to make me a taper plan. Does any one do that here?   Like if I wanted to go really slow off rmeron from 60 mg at say 5% reduction How much water nad how much would I pull?

I appologize for that last post my computer did something strange you can delete it if you want. I went to that link but its tooo confusing. Could someone make me a taper plan from 60 mg remeron at 5% reduction? Thanks!! Also what is DYI taper plans?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you were confused, I have to admit that I find it hard to work out the figures too! 

If you post in that topic I'm sure someone will help you work it out, we have some members

who are very experienced with making liquids  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

DIY means Do It Yourself.

sandi, you need to get the equipment explained in the topics we've given you before you can make your own liquid. Can you get the oral syringes, etc.?

Is there anyone who can help you with this?

Hey Sandi,

How ya doing?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5