SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

George11: 3 weeks off anafranil (clomipramine)

george11

Hello from Bulgaria i get my first panic attack before 5-6 years.I am a proffesional singer.I didnt have any problems with family or money or something else , just one day i make a panic attack and i didnt know what is this.I went to doctor and he puts me on seroxat(paxil).i was on 40mg for 2 years and on 20mg for the last 2 years and i was feeling good.i decide to stop it cold turkey from 20mg.I didnt experience withdrawal immediately but 2 months after stopped the seroxat i start feeling electric shocks sensations,anxiety mini panic atacks and many other side effects.So after 2 month off seroxat i got bad.I went again to the doctor and he said me that it had relapse because i didnt have withdrawal immediately  and because after 2 months start having side effects this was relapse ,so he puts me again on seroxat.

This time put me on 60mg but didnt work.I was start having depression, low mood, no emotions at all and many other side effects After this the doctor put me on effexor for one month on 300mg.He starts me on 150 mg one week ,then 225mg one week and at the end 300 mg but didnt work.So i decided to change the doctor.I found a new doctor and he told me to stop the effexor for one week and stay 20 days without the med and see how i will feel.So i stopped the effexor and this was a real hell.I had very bad symptoms i was feeling like i am dead, i had depression, emptiness, brain zaps, anxiety,anhedonia and  many other side effects.The doctor said me i have major depression,unipolar depression and maybe have bipolar disorder.I dont know where he found symptoms for bipolar disorder :blink:

He prescribed me zyprexa,lithium and seroquel.I said to him that i am not going to take these meds because i think are not for me...

So i start again to search for a new doctor.I found one i talked with him about my problems and heputs me on anafranil(clomipramine)

I started on 25mg for a week then 75mg and 100mg and i was feeling better but after 4-5 months i was feeling thats its working less than it worked at the beginning ,maybe was the dosage i dont know.So the doctor add to anafranil the ludiomil 50 mg (maprotiline) before going to bed. 
I felt little improvement but i found that i dont have emotions any more after all these drugs so i stopped the maprotiline cold turkey because i didnt want to be on coctail and i stayed only with the anafranil.I could function but i became anhedonic,melanholic,low moods,inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable, e.g. exercise, hobbies, music, sexual activities or social interactions.

So i told the doctor how i feel and he decide to stop the anafranil from 100mg to 75mg and then to 25mg for a week only and start  me on zoloft. Now after  tapper off the anafranil for 1 week (i think its fast taper off)  i am meds free since 3 weeks.I feel depressed,brain zaps,anxiety, sweating,heavy head,anhedony,low mood ,dizziness,gastrointestinal upset, nausea, lack of energy ,no emotions and many other side effects.Are these side effects a relapse or withdrawal symptoms?????

i want to stay without meds.I want my life back,i want to feel, i want to have emotions, i want to love, i want to be able to experience the pleasures of the life!!Its all started with some panic attacks and anxiety and now i am depressed without emotions and many other symptoms :(

I am not sure but i think the way i am feeling now is caused from all these meds in my brain :(

I think also that my job is a problem with my anxiety,maybe thats the reason to start my panic attacks.

I have to sing at the stage for 400-500 people and i got very anxious when i do this.Every time that i am singing i think that i will get panic attack.I dont know what to do.if i stay off medications can i feel again normal person with no depression,anxiety,low mood and anhedonia?How much time it takes this withdrawal to go away?Can you please tell me what do you think about my situation?Thanks in advance!!Sorry for my bad english :unsure:

Edited by scallywag
tags

2008-2010 seroxat 40mg for panic attacks

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2012 stopped seroxat(cold turkey) because of feeling perfect but after 2 months the panic attacks and other symptoms started again

Reinstated seroxat on 60mg but no effect (depression induced,low mood,and many other side effects)

Effexor 300mg for 1 month didn't work

2013-2014 Anafranil 100mg (tricyclic) 5-6 months feeling good but after that not feeling very good

Add maprotiline 50mg (tetracyclic) some improvement but i stopped maprotiline because i didn't want to be on cocktail

2014 Generalized anxiety disorder stopped and reinstated anafranil 150mg

2015 April  meds free

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• george11

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello George and welcome to SA,

Like most of us here. this is quite some story you have. And unfortunately very familiar one. I will start by saying that it has been our experience (that is gathering more and more confirmation from members of "official medicine") that the way you are feeling now has been caused by medication. 

We all at one point decided or were persuaded into solving our issues like the anxiety you have by taking psychotropic medication. And we found out that what followed was a much worse situation than it was initially.

The response of psychiatrists is almost universal: after irresponsible administering of drugs, they attribute worsening of our state to "relapse" and new "illness" which requires more drugs. This internet community exists because we have all been failed by our doctors in pretty much the same way as you.

What would help us to give you sugegstion on what to do in your complex situation is if you could sum up your drug history in your signature: just years when you took certain medication, their dosage and very briefly how you stopped. So it should go something like: 2008 to 2010 Paxil 40 mg, 2010 - 2012 Paxil 20 mg, etc.

More on how to do this is described here:   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

What happened to you when you abruptly stopped taking Paxil in 2012 (if my guess of the year is right) was withdrawal syndrome:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

I think that reading through this topic will make many things clearer to you.

The response of your doctors was unfortunately typical. Withrawal syndrome doesn't happen immediately upon discontinuation. That always surprised me about their reasoning: my doctor would tell me it would take at least 4 to 6 weeks for te edrug to start working but she expected I could stop taking it just like that.. And withdrawal symptoms also take approximately the same time to appear, depending on the drug and its half life.

The reason why the introduction of the drug caused you to feel even worse is because it was a too high dose. After 2 months off your brain had adjusted somewhat to functioning without it and much less would've been enough. But doctors think that more is better ;(

These experiments with such high doses of Effexor were really awful. Can you put some time frames as to when it was happening? No wonder you felt awful!

You didn't take zyprexa,lithium and seroquel?  That was a really smart move!

When did you start taking anafranil? I'm not familiar with this drug but I see it's a tricyclic ADs unlike Paxil and Effexor which are so called SSRIs....Ludiomil doesn't appear here often either. I see it's a tetracyclic AD...

Stopping a drug after 1 week is equivalent to cold turkey.

What you describe are classical withdrawal symptoms you will find listed on the thread I provided for you.

I believe we will be able to give you some suggestions on where to go from here when you very briefly list at least approximate dates of when all those drug changes were taking place.

Compared to people like me who have been struggling with these drugs for 15 years, 5 or 6 years is not such a long time. Our brains have an incredible ability to heal and recover so you will be fine and then you will find a non-drug way of dealing with what is basically a stage fright. Talk therapy can do wonders. Libraries, bookstores and the internet are full of helpful techniques.

No need to apologise for you English ;) I'm also not a native speaker. Welcome once again.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks very much for your reply Bubble.This forum is giving me power to handle my problem and feel again like my old ME.Thank you!!

I want to say except the withdrawal symptoms i have a problem with my work.As i said i am a proffesional singer and when i have concerts

i am feeling very anxious when i am at the stage and this is very difficult for me but this is my work thats the way for me to make a living.

So the only way to calm down and sing is to have some drinks or to take a 0.5 tablet clonazepam(not always but sometimes rare).I know this is not good but for now i dont know what to do to relief my anxiety and work normally.

What do you think about this?Can you offer me any supplements or something else to help my anxiety??

I want to say and about the withdrawal symptoms its not easy but i think that for now i can deal with them its only the lack of emotions but 

i hope soon i will have some real emotions and be able to experience the pleasures of the life!!

Thanks very much!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2012 stopped seroxat(cold turkey) because of feeling perfect but after 2 months the panic attacks and other symptoms started again

Reinstated seroxat on 60mg but no effect (depression induced,low mood,and many other side effects)

2013-2014 Anafranil 100mg (tricyclic) 5-6 months feeling good but after that not feeling very good

Add maprotiline 50mg (tetracyclic) some improvement but i stopped maprotiline because i didn't want to be on cocktail

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been going to psychotherapy since I was 19 and I would recommend it to everyone. Use of benzos is very tricky. they are highly addictive, very soon you need higher doses to feel the same calming effect and it often causes anxiety.

Have you tried to learn any relaxation techniques? Meditation,yoga, breathing exercises? Everybody has anxiety before public appearances but we have to learn to make it manageable. I can't think of any at the moment but if I were you I would definitely start practicing something. Other people will have more ideas but it's best to see what is on offer in your country.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks Bubble i know this about benzos but i have to find an other way to calm down.I will make a search for relaxation techniques, meditation,yoga, breathing exercises.Do you know something about any supplements to take some that can help me with my anxiety?

Thanks in advance!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

Hi to everyone last night i was at work and i tried to have some drinks and dont take clonazepam to relief my anxiety but  I am feeling that the alcohol doesn't give me a Buzz anymore and It feels bad like melancholia?Is this have anything to do with the withdrawal??

i want to discuss with you the way i am feeling ,i dont not know exactly how to explain it.

I feel low energy i am not able to experience pleasures, i can only feel some sad situations.All the time i feel something like heaviness,emptiness inside me,heavy head,depressed mood and i found that i cant have relief from these feelings.I also feel withdrawal from daily activities.Iam loving music and the people loves me but unlike years ago when i was at the stage i was feeling very good and maked people have fun , now its like i dont want to sing anymore ,i dont have the power as i am not feeling emotionally good and i dont have the energy deliver pleasures to the people.Its like i lost my interest for the music and do it out of obligation i dont know whats is this. :( I read on the internet about Dysthymia,anhedonia depressed moods the symptoms are the same almost like me.Is it possible my anxiety  cause some of these feelings?I have these feelings all the time even when i was at meds but i didnt have them before start meds.Are these feelings cause from the meds and now when i am off meds are these feelings a withdrawal or a relapse?How can i understand this??

Thanks very much in advance!!

Hope someone can help me!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you please put your drug history in your signature?

Look into the thread I provided for you. It will answer your questions. I wrote several times it's withdrawal. How can be it be relapse when you yourself say you didn't feel like that before starting on meds?

all of us who come here are in very similar situations and states so if you start reading somebody's thread and the answers they get you will see that it addresses your situation too.

Regarding your previous question of a substance that would calm you down, magnesium has calming effect. If you go to any pharmacy they will for sure give you loads of herbal remedies that you should also be careful with. Honestly, after almost 20 years of working on my insecurities and personal growth I don't like the idea of relying on external environment for finding comfort. You should look into what is it that is making you so insecure and causes anxiety and work on changing your thought patterns so that your strength comes within you and you can start feeling comfortable in your own skin. 

Drinking alcohol with psychotropic medication is always contraindicated. In withdrawal we get sensitive even to coffee, tea, sugar and food in general. So try to avoid alcohol. 

What would help us to give you suggestions on what to do in your complex situation is if you could sum up your drug history in your signature: just years when you took certain medication, their dosage and very briefly how you stopped. So it should go something like: 2008 to 2010 Paxil 40 mg, 2010 - 2012 Paxil 20 mg, etc.

More on how to do this is described here:   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

What happened to you when you abruptly stopped taking Paxil in 2012 (if my guess of the year is right) was withdrawal syndrome:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

I think that reading through this topic will make many things clearer to you.

These experiments with such high doses of Effexor were really awful. Can you put some time frames as to when it was happening? No wonder you felt awful!

You didn't take zyprexa,lithium and seroquel?  That was a really smart move!

When did you start taking anafranil? I'm not familiar with this drug but I see it's a tricyclic ADs unlike Paxil and Effexor which are so called SSRIs....Ludiomil doesn't appear here often either. I see it's a tetracyclic AD...

Stopping a drug after 1 week is equivalent to cold turkey.

What you describe are classical withdrawal symptoms you will find listed on the thread I provided for you.

I believe we will be able to give you some suggestions on where to go from here when you very briefly list at least approximate dates of when all those drug changes were taking place.

• Administrator

Welcome, George.

If your nervous system has been hurt by going on and off drugs, alcohol may make it worse. Alcohol is a drug, too.

Many performers use various non-drug techniques to calm down before a performance. Please look around and see if you can find information on this and perhaps a teacher near you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks very much Altostrata for your reply but here in Bulgaria i dont know somebody to use any techniques i dont know because Bulgaria

its a poor country and  do not  ofter much here.I read to much of your posts and i think you know to much things.

Can you please said me what to take some supplements to help my anxiety and my dysthymia,anhedonia?

Is the  dysthymia,anhedonia caused by anxiety or by the meds?

Do you think that i will be able again to have good emotions and feel some pleasures?

Thanks Altostrata!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Administrator

Emotional anesthesia is a common effect of the drugs.

It sounds though like you have periodic situational anxiety when you perform. It's important for you to manage that. I'm sure there are performers in Bulgaria who have tricks to teach you.

Here is a club that teaches public performance http://reports.toastmasters.org/findaclub/searchresults.cfm?Country=Bulgaria&State=&City=Sofia

Please see our topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z about anxiety.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Emotional anesthesia is a common effect of the drugs.

It sounds though like you have periodic situational anxiety when you perform. It's important for you to manage that. I'm sure there are performers in Bulgaria who have tricks to teach you.

Here is a club that teaches public performance http://reports.toastmasters.org/findaclub/searchresults.cfm?Country=Bulgaria&State=&City=Sofia

Please see our topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z about anxiety.

Thanks very much Altostrata i will call the club tomorrow and talk with them.I read for some supplements and i think to try the: 

OMEGA 3 oil fish,magnesium citrate and vitamin E because i found you said about these supplements thats no problem with them and maybe help!

Thanks in advance!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Administrator

You're welcome. Pleas let us know how you do.

Hello i am almost 1 month off anafranil (clomipramine tricyclic).I want to stay at the home all the time,i dont want to go outside with my friends,i eat only bad foods, many carbohydrates and i gain my weight.I am getting anxious,i don't have motivation for nothing,i feel sad and bad emotions, depressed mood.I have work to do but i dont feel good emotionally to do them.I am thinking all the time if this is the withdrawal or is relapse!i dont understand this.How can someone understand the difference?I know i have read almost all the topics on the forum but something I can not convince i dont know why.The other thing that i am worring about is that from the topics i have read i see that people have to fight  4-5-6 years for the recovering :( I am a singer and before 1 month i signed a contract with a musical company.I dont know how to deal with obligations of the company :(

Soon i have to make a new song and and new video clip but i am feeling lack of motivation and emotions and i dont want to do anything.I dont know how to handle this....

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Administrator

You need to take care of yourself. Stop eating bad foods, eat good foods, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. Avoid sugar and alcohol and packaged foods with artificial additives. Get out and walk at least 1/2 hour per day, too.

Whether this is withdrawal or a mood, taking care of yourself will help you.

Is this withdrawal or a relapse?I found that at night 23:00-24:00 i start to feel better??

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Administrator

It's common in withdrawal syndrome for people to feel somewhat better at night.

Also, your body may be recovering from the bad things you've eaten.

Thanks Altostrata for your reply.i hope what i feel is withdrawal and not relapse.i dont want to go on meds again!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

Hello i am one month off any meds.I don't feel good and i don't have the windows and waves pattern.I have a lot of anxiety melanholia and dysthymia.

I dont know what to do.Everyone here have a better days (windows) but i dont have the window pattern.I just feel that every day i start to feel worse and worse :(

I dont know maybe start  meds again????

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi George, I am so sorry that you find yourself in this situation. It looks like you are suffering from the effects 

of all the drugs you have been given, you are suffering withdrawal and from reactions to the drugs

you were given for withdrawal! It cannot be relapse because you were fine except for a panic attack.

You did not have all these awful symptoms before medication!  Trying more drugs could make things

much worse for you.  This will get better but will take time. You are doing really well to carry on with 

singing when you feel so stressed and I hope that when you have done your performance you feel 

very proud of yourself.   

I have always felt much better at night too, many of us feel better later at night. Take good care of yourself,

eat food that has no added chemicals and drink lots of water, try and walk a little each day. It will get better

it really will. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

One month is a very short time off psychiatric drugs. You might not see a healing pattern for quite a while. It can be very gradual.

Hi George, I am so sorry that you find yourself in this situation. It looks like you are suffering from the effects

of all the drugs you have been given, you are suffering withdrawal and from reactions to the drugs

you were given for withdrawal! It cannot be relapse because you were fine except for a panic attack.

You did not have all these awful symptoms before medication! Trying more drugs could make things

much worse for you. This will get better but will take time. You are doing really well to carry on with

singing when you feel so stressed and I hope that when you have done your performance you feel u

very proud of yourself.

I have always felt much better at night too, many of us feel better later at night. Take good care of yourself,

eat food that has no added chemicals and drink lots of water, try and walk a little each day. It will get better

it really will.

Thanks very much mammaP for your reply.I am a sensitive person and my panic attacks i believe they happened because of my work.

Ok i understand that from the meds that i have been i feel these awful side effects but i want to ask something.Can the anxiety cause depression?This is what i cant understand.I know that my history starts with anxiety and panic attacks but is it possible to have unlocked also depression and how do we distinguish the withdrawal and the relapse??

Thanks

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

One month is a very short time off psychiatric drugs. You might not see a healing pattern for quite a while. It can be very gradual.

I hope i will have some healing pattern soon and not need to take again meds!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

.Can the anxiety cause depression?This is what i cant understand.I know that my history starts with anxiety and panic attacks but is it possible to have unlocked also depression and how do we distinguish the withdrawal and the relapse??

If you didn't have depression before starting on the meds, but now you have it, I would say its a drug reaction.  I started on medication for anxiety, not depression, but a few weeks after I had started taking the medication, I became very depressed and it lasted for months, I didn't realize it was the drug making me feel this way. I had never had depression before.

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

Typically, in withdrawal symptoms such as melancholia, anxiety, and disorientation come in intense waves, which differentiates them from relapse of a psychological condition.

In withdrawal, symptoms are much more intense than the original psychological condition. People suffering from withdrawal often say things like

- "This doesn't feel like my depression."

- "I've never had symptoms like this before."

- "I feel very weird and not like myself."

It's up to the individual to decide whether your body and brain are behaving "normally" as they did before you tried medication, or if you are feeling differently.

See:   What is withdrawal syndrome?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

.Can the anxiety cause depression?This is what i cant understand.I know that my history starts with anxiety and panic attacks but is it possible to have unlocked also depression and how do we distinguish the withdrawal and the relapse??

If you didn't have depression before starting on the meds, but now you have it, I would say its a drug reaction.  I started on medication for anxiety, not depression, but a few weeks after I had started taking the medication, I became very depressed and it lasted for months, I didn't realize it was the drug making me feel this way. I had never had depression before.

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

Typically, in withdrawal symptoms such as melancholia, anxiety, and disorientation come in intense waves, which differentiates them from relapse of a psychological condition.

In withdrawal, symptoms are much more intense than the original psychological condition. People suffering from withdrawal often say things like

- "This doesn't feel like my depression."

- "I've never had symptoms like this before."

- "I feel very weird and not like myself."

It's up to the individual to decide whether your body and brain are behaving "normally" as they did before you tried medication, or if you are feeling differently.

See:   What is withdrawal syndrome?

I started on medication for anxiety too, the first time i was on seroxat on 40 mg for 2 years and 20 mg for another 2 years.I was feeling good on the seroxat the only problem i had sometimes  was the anxiety.After 4 years i stopped the seroxat from 20 mg cold turkey and the first 2 months i was good without problems but the 3-rd month started the side effects like anxiety,electric shock sensations and mini panic attacks.Until this time no depression and no dysthymia just anxiety.

After these bad side effects(i didnt know anything about the withdrawal) i went to the doctor and he put me again on seroxat.This time was not the same....The medication didn't work and gives me the depression and melancholia feeling.Since then i feel depressed and anhedonic!!

You post this: ''Typically, in withdrawal symptoms such as melancholia, anxiety, and disorientation come in intense waves, which differentiates them from relapse of a psychological condition''

So my depression and melancholia do not come in intense waves but are all the time here....

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus
After these bad side effects(i didnt know anything about the withdrawal) i went to the doctor and he put me again on seroxat.This time was not the same....The medication didn't work and gives me the depression and melancholia feeling.Since then i feel depressed and anhedonic!!

You post this: ''Typically, in withdrawal symptoms such as melancholia, anxiety, and disorientation come in intense waves, which differentiates them from relapse of a psychological condition''

So my depression and melancholia do not come in intense waves but are all the time here....

If you didn't have depression before taking medication, but you became depressed when you started the medication the second time, then I would say its being caused by the medication, even if its not coming in waves.  This is exactly what happened to me when I first went on zoloft for anxiety.

You have been through a lot of drug changes in the last 2 years.  Then you went CT off ludiomil(maprotiline) and just last month a 10 day taper and another CT off the Anafranil.  I think you had an adverse reaction to the effexor and then further drug trials, changes and stopping drugs too fast, added withdrawal to your situation.

But you are not alone in feeling this way, many of us are dealing with feelings of depression because of these drugs.  This topic may be helpful:

Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation

It looks like you are suffering from the effects 

you were given for withdrawal!

You will recover in time, but because of your drug history and stopping much to fast, it may take several months before you start to feel some improvement. But you will get better in time.  Do the best you can to take good care of yourself with a healthy diet, some regular gentle exercise, plenty of water, relaxation.  Cutting out alcohol can help.

Many people find  fish oil and magnesium helpful, see King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks very much Petu for your reply.I want to ask for my anxiety what will happen.I understand the withdrawal ok but before any meds i had anxiety 

and panic attacks.After the withdrawal pass my anxiety will continue like before meds right?We said that the withdrawal can cause anxiety but what will

happen with my normal anxiety i had before meds and before withdrawal???

Thanks in advance!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

Hi i want to say what happened to me before 1-2 hours.I felt anxiety,dysthymia,inside energy and excitement at the same time.It was very bad feeling and i am afraidnmaybe is a bipolar something i dont know :(

I read some topics talking about manic anxiety,mixed states of bipolar,anxious-excited depression,dysphoric mania and i dont know what to think :( 

At the same time i felt my head like a headache or like i have a high blood pressure something, i had sweating and cold-hot flushes!!

Can anyone help please??

Thanks!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

I have these feelings at the same time,i feel anxiety and excitement(butterflies) at the same time!!

I know sometimes is normal when i have to sing or for a public speaking but at this time i am at home,

and i dont have any commitments that will make me excited!!

Does anyone knows what are these feelings?

Thanks in advance!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

Anyone please???? :(  :(

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi George,  please don't worry about being bipolar or seriously mentally ill, this is quite common in withdrawal

but it is very frightening. Your brain is trying to stabilise and heal. Try not to panic, it will get better.

About the anxiety that you had before drugs, thngs change, and probably the things that made you anxious have

changed too. I have also found that withdrawal makes you take better care of yourself and understand what is 

happening to your body and brain. Once you understand that it is much easier to cope with. 

You will get better, all this is will pass, you will get some windows where you feel much better, followed by waves 

when it all seems to get bad again. This is normal and signs of healing. You can read about the windows and waves here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

I hope you feel better very soon, just hang in there and it will happen. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Maybe mixed states of bipolar??

Thanks!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

Hi George,  please don't worry about being bipolar or seriously mentally ill, this is quite common in withdrawal

but it is very frightening. Your brain is trying to stabilise and heal. Try not to panic, it will get better.

About the anxiety that you had before drugs, thngs change, and probably the things that made you anxious have

changed too. I have also found that withdrawal makes you take better care of yourself and understand what is 

happening to your body and brain. Once you understand that it is much easier to cope with. 

You will get better, all this is will pass, you will get some windows where you feel much better, followed by waves 

when it all seems to get bad again. This is normal and signs of healing. You can read about the windows and waves here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

I hope you feel better very soon, just hang in there and it will happen. 

Thanks mammaP i apreciate your help

I want to say also a new feeling for me.Last night i had a concert and i had some drinks(i know that alcohol is not good) because of extreme anxiety but the alcohol for first time in my life made me dysphoric and not euphoric and i dont know the reason.Do you know why the alcohol  caused me dysphoria and not euphoria like other times??

I found this on internet ''Alcohol, drug abuse, and some antidepressants drugs may trigger dysphoric mania in susceptible individuals''

I am afraid now because the same dysphoria happened to me after the alcohol for first time in my life   :(  :( 

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

There was a time when I would have a couple of glasses of wine at night, it helped me relax but when I was depressed

it exaggerated the depression, so much that I would call friends at all hours crying. One night I took an overdose and

ended up in the psych ward. I was in withdrawal at the time and ended up on more drugs. I haven't taken alcohol since

except on very rare social occasions when I've had a half glass with a meal.  Alcohol for me is a no no, especially in

withdrawal. Both alcohol and drugs come in bottles, does your brain know the difference between them? I think

probably not! Please do not think I am being critical of you, I am just saying how I see alcohol now. 

Before I started on any drugs alcohol would exaggerate whatever mood I was in at the time, if I was happy I became 

happier but if I was sad I became more miserable. I never drank a lot I hated being drunk but it definitely affected me

even in very small amounts. 

2002  effexor. 

There was a time when I would have a couple of glasses of wine at night, it helped me relax but when I was depressed

it exaggerated the depression, so much that I would call friends at all hours crying. One night I took an overdose and

ended up in the psych ward. I was in withdrawal at the time and ended up on more drugs. I haven't taken alcohol since

except on very rare social occasions when I've had a half glass with a meal.  Alcohol for me is a no no, especially in

withdrawal. Both alcohol and drugs come in bottles, does your brain know the difference between them? I think

probably not! Please do not think I am being critical of you, I am just saying how I see alcohol now. 

Before I started on any drugs alcohol would exaggerate whatever mood I was in at the time, if I was happy I became 

happier but if I was sad I became more miserable. I never drank a lot I hated being drunk but it definitely affected me

even in very small amounts. 

woww thanks very much mammaP i already feel better God bless you!!i have concert that night again so i feel better with your words!!THANKS!!!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope the concert goes well for you George, deep breaths and good thoughts, you know you are a good

entertainer, your audiences show you that so believe in yourself and wow them.  :)

2002  effexor. 

For how long have you been feeling like this? I don't know the diagnostic criteria for mixed bipolar disorder but I think the bipolar diagnosis is made way too often nowadays. Seems like you tapered your meds quickly. Your symptoms may very well be withdrawal.

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding