MacavityCat: My adventure with fluoxetine

MacavityCat

First thing: I want to say hi to all members here.

Second thing: I want to sorry about my english - im trying my best but it is my second language and i have always problems with grammar.

And last thing: Here is my story, im 30 by now (born in Orwellic year: 1984)

Most of my life i had dystymia, then I have - convinced by family - started Psychiatric Treatment (40mg of Fluoxetine). It was between 2010 - 2013. In time of treatment i have mild sympthoms (mild erectile dysfunction, thou libido was left intact). Then after discontinuation it was getting worse and worse. Nowdays i have very small libido, erectile disfunction, and mild depression. Also my cognitive skills are affected (i was a lot talking person, with a lots of funny storries to tell, also with some succes in academic field (as student i was participating with lot of sociological studies, some have been publicated in post conference papers/books, also I was reading a lot). Now i have problem with short term memory, a problems with small talks and conversations about interesting things and reading one book per month is a big problem for me (before i was reading a lot and everything that falls in my hand)

I was asking psychiatrist about this problem but the did not hear about it. My andrologist told me that only problem that may occur when you stop taking SSRI is low semen volume and poor lubrication. My hormone levels look quite ok. Im planning to go to the clinic for men with erectile disfunction to take complete set of medical examination.

I think some problems is caused by my depression. But since i've read a lot about PSSD im concerned that starting new treatment (even with drugs that are not known from causing sexual problems) is not good idea.

About my sympthoms: weak erection, delayed orgasm, no spontaneous erections, no erections without stimulation, no erections caused by visual stimulation (sometimes i feel some "movement" but its very very weak). I have no problems with semen volume. But the problem is that the orghasm is maybe 1/8 of the feeling i had before treatment. Ah and i never have problems with libido even in deepest depresion - I was laughing then that im half sexual maniac.

Im writing here becuise I'm looking for people who understands this problem - in my country there is one forum about it and they focusing only about searching for drug combination for this problem. My knowledge is a bit small so im counting that discussions here may change my level of information and mayby my attitude - now im looking at this whole situation with fear and without faith that it can be changed.

Nice to meet You all.

Once again sorry for misspels and so.

february 2010 - september 2013 -  40mg of fluoxetine

Trying to be like motto of my city

Semper Invicta

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum  MaccavityCat,

I can understand your english just fine.  Thank you for posting an introduction,  I'm sorry to hear you have been having PSSD since stopping fluoxetine.  How long ago did you stop taking it?  How did you stop, did you taper?

Have you had any other withdrawal symptoms besides the sexual problems?

PSSD is a fairly common withdrawal symptom from stopping antidepressants too fast, it does go away over time, but it can take a while.  Taking care of yourself with a good diet, healthy lifestyle, some regular exercise and enough sleep can help support recovery. 

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful non-drug ideas to help manage this symptom as you recover.

Here is the link to our PSSD topic with a discussion by members who have also had this problem.

Others who have experienced a similar issue may be along soon to offer advice and support, please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petu,

thanks for reply.

Im not too familiar with all whitdrawl syndromes.

I think I may had some other symptoms in time of medication but frankly i was in so good mood then that I was'nt care aobut it (minor problems with kognitive skills, lack of interest in social life).

My doctor told me that I can quit fluoxetine instantly, coz problems affects more "chisteric" persons (he told that there is no withdrawl symptoms, only people missinterprets one or two bad days as problem with discontinuation of the drug).

I agreed with him coz im in fact using logic when observe what happens in my body. I think i have stopped drug at summer 2013. Then it was none bad feelings or sth like that. Only my ED, and as i think now my emotions was a bit tempered -same as my social skills. Im connecting it to problems with short term memory. Oh and i dont know it can  be called as a sympthom but im allways tired. I can sleep 5 hours or 15 hours, always wake up tired and in very bad mood.

In fact i dont know that my kongitive skills problems are from discontinuation or from depression that it came back i think half year or so after stopping taking drug. 

Im hoping that if i did not lost all of sexual functions is good sign, but as it always - time will show.

Once again thanks for reply.

Semper Invicta

• Administrator

Welcome, MacavityCat.

When did you go off fluoxetine? And you simply stopped taking it?

Your doctor was wrong about withdrawal symptoms. We have many people here who have difficulty going off fluoxetine.

It certainly sounds like you have PSSD. If you had sexual difficulties on fluoxetine, an SSRI, it's unlikely any SSRI will make this better.

With PSSD, none of those tests will be helpful. No one knows exactly how to treat it.

Over time, it tends to go away as the nervous system heals from the drug and withdrawal. Please see discussions of PSSD in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata (i must say Your case is filling mi with some hope).

I know that my doctor was wrong now, my bad i belived in his medical knowledge.

About when i go off fluoxetine ( AKA seronil, AKA prozac ) kill me i dont know exact date: i was before wenting to new job and startiing postgradual studies - so it should be august or september, i remember that i was wondering is it good idea to stop medication before a new stressful situations. And yes I just simply stopped - never feel need to take it once again.

About withdrawl sympthoms: one or two moments of blurry vision ( very short ), some anxiety but i were connecting it with new school and new responsible job (Im work for Court my mistake could affect on someones life), some bluntness in emotion but it affects only those good like will tobounding with firends. I also have short term memory problems that i as lerned here may be connected to withdrawl. It pains me that i lost my ability to always say somthing interesting and to talk with everyone. I have problems to make interesting conversation with people im well know. Last time I have very sinusoidal mood, now im quite calm but about hour ago i was gloomy depressed and despaired and it can change in minutes.

About tests as im empiricist i want to do them, i know that this is 99% PSSD, but i always feel beter when use all posibilities and gather all data.

I have read some of topics in self care forum before i decided to make my own post.

I have learned about suplementation with fish oil (OMEGA-3) vitamin C, healthy diet, general physical activity.

Im also aware that if they dont know about this condition in US they will surely dont know about it in my contry (which is not as undeveloped as they sey in jokes - often quite funny)

Oh and i talked with psychiatrist who is also sexuologist - he told me that this is another depressive episode and my libido and sexual functions are downregulated by depression and anhedonia, but im worry that continuing medical treatment will mess more with my condition ( he offered me drugs that dont affect on sexuality but my belief in psychiatric knowledge is not as strong as it was before).

Thank You for Your reply.

Semper Invicta

• Administrator

That psychiatrist you talked to is wrong. He doesn't know about PSSD.

Taking a small amount of fluoxetine, perhaps 2mg, might help your other symptoms. See Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine) for measuring small amounts.

Then you would stabilize for some months and taper very gradually off that small amount.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

But it will affect also time for hypotethical recovery from PSSD - or Im wrong?

Im not using it for year and dont know is it good idea?

Im bit confused about this idea.

Semper Invicta

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you stop taking it august/september 2013 or 2014?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Sorry i did not clarify it.

It was in 2013 so Im off fluoxetine for one year and a couple of weeks.

Semper Invicta

As I understand this part of forum is also for making own notes about progress.

As im new and my recovery is about year now, it will be only list of things that affects me now, things I have lerned in this forum so far, and things that im wondering are good or bad for me.

Genithal anesthesia - at this time i think its worsening not makeing better.

Libido, same as anesthesia, I could feel some arousal month ago, but its gone now... we'll se is it temporarly or general trend for now.

Im sure that long nights as winter is coming affects me to - i hate this time of the year.

I feel my memory is worsening now (as i wrote it before in other posts here).

Social skills are also affected.

Also i have waves of very bad mood, like in depression i cant tell its different from original depression, but ... in fact i can... something is problem for me today but another day it is not. Also i have some moments when i want to cry and moments later it disapears.

Fading those sympthoms are goals i want achieve.

Im aware that it could by a long road with lots of even worse time that I have today.

Im also thinking is it good to read all threads in this forum, its great source of knowledge but it also affects my mood, when i read about someone ho has worse time im feeling the stress of this person and it affects me, but also when i read some good signs in someone recovery it makes me happy and also gives me hope (and im constantly wishing anyone, that did or did not, noted progress in his or her own fight).

Summary of problems (to get easy updates if somethings going better)

(scale 1 to 10 where 1 is complete disaster and 10 is "as it was before")

PSSD - 2

short term memory - 2

level of stress - 1

ability to socialize - 3

willpower - 4

If i think some is needed to add I will add, also note some changes etc.

Semper Invicta

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry i did not clarify it.

It was in 2013 so Im off fluoxetine for one year and a couple of weeks.

Thank you for clarifying that, reinstatement is probably not a good idea after this long off.

As I understand this part of forum is also for making own notes about progress.

Yes, this is your thread to use as you wish

Also i have waves of very bad mood, like in depression i cant tell its different from original depression, but ... in fact i can... something is problem for me today but another day it is not. Also i have some moments when i want to cry and moments later it disapears.

This sounds very much like withdrawal which tends to come in a windows and waves kind of pattern, you may find this topic helpful:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Symptoms can get better and then worse again and then improve again, eventually going away completely, this is how recovery happens.  It may take a while, but you will recover.  Keeping notes about symptoms is good because it makes it easier to see the improvement over time.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

Sorry, I misunderstood the length of time you've been off the drug.

No problem Alto.

Im aware that admins have a lot to do here.

And also i have to learn to write clearly.

Semper Invicta

I think im overwhelmed by my situation today.

More info i get more gloomy i I'm

Simpy devastated.

I dont want to watch any movies, im listening to podcasts but dont know what they said a minute since im hear any sentence, i talking with people in my job like robot, i can't tell any anegdothe to my coworkers, my sense of humor is gone.

Sh*t, **ck, *ss

And that hell is only at the beginning.

Im also devastated that my symptoms getin worse since discontinuation - 1 year since, and its worse than month ago or six months ago (mostly PSSD witch affects other elements of my mood). And that i never saw any succes story about PSSD from fluoxetine, and that succes stories from PSSD are quite rare in the internet.

Semper Invicta

Captains log... ;)

sorry for writing a lot but I need to add it to my journal.

One good thing happened.

Last day I woke up,done some things in my apartment and suddenly out of nowhere felt... need :blush: , it not cause response of the rest of my body but feeling was quite strong and lasting for couple of hours.

I did not felt it from long time (not that strong), the other symptoms are still the same but it was quite refreshing.

Ive also noticed when I woke up today  that I have quite strong NE.

Is this could be a window?

Still long way from home, but it looks like the taken route is good.

Also im taking zinc and lecitin. Alos Im planing to start suplementation with fish oil (I saw thread that have a lot information about it), and stop to procrastinate everyday walking routine from job.

If someone have other sugestions about suplementation or daily routine changes - I will be grateful.

Still have other symptoms (including brain fog - those memory issues are killing my social life)

Semper Invicta

• Administrator