Britt: What to do?

Britt

• Moderator Emeritus

Really, just for one panic attack?  What was the reason for staying on for 15 years?  Did the doc tell you that you needed it on an ongoing basis?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Britt

• westcoast

• Songbird

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a long story of paxil ! When i was 18 i had my first panick attack with dp and did get paxil after a few days it was over and the doc told me to stop the paxil after 7 days ! A few months later i had a panick attack with dp again and the doc told me i was missing something in my brain but never told me it was a pannick attack and i was scared that i lost my mind ! I think i took paxil for 0,5 years and stopped in the same year my father died and was not feeling good so i asked for paxil and took a few years til i got pregnant and stopped right away ! When i was pregnant i was feeling great but when i gave birth again i was not feeling good and the doc took some blood and i was having thyroid problems and got paxil again because i was missing something in my head so i thought i needed paxil and and that was 14 years ago !

15 + years every 3 weeks 10% taper hit zero 25-10-2014 when i started the taper 2 years ago i was taking paxil each other day for almost 2 years i got depression and it never left and i never stabelised when i was did my taper feeling very bad now and dont now what to do depression left a little when i switched to imipramine 75 mg but dont feel stable at all

• Moderator Emeritus

I can ride it out ! Its not really unbearable its bad but i dont have zapps but if i know this is who i am than it is unbearable i cant live my whole life like this ! X

I don't think I can improve on the advice you've already been given.  Is it correct that you tapered down to 0.2mg liquid paxil?  If you were going to reinstate, I would suggest 0.1mg, which could possibly relieve your withdrawal symptoms a little, but there's no guarantee it would help at this stage.

If it were me, I would probably try and ride it out.  Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Do let us know what you decide.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks everybody ! Its difficult to make a decission if i now for sure its withdrawel i can ride it out but if its not i dont know what else it can be and that is why i make myself crazy thinking and thinking but i know that nobody knows when i go to the doc i will say start taking paxil you need it but i dont want to take it again because its bad ! Sorry for asking so many questions ! X

15 + years every 3 weeks 10% taper hit zero 25-10-2014 when i started the taper 2 years ago i was taking paxil each other day for almost 2 years i got depression and it never left and i never stabelised when i was did my taper feeling very bad now and dont now what to do depression left a little when i switched to imipramine 75 mg but dont feel stable at all

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

A few months later i had a panick attack with dp again and the doc told me i was missing something in my brain ... the doc took some blood and i was having thyroid problems and got paxil again because i was missing something in my head so i thought i needed paxil and and that was 14 years ago !

I'm sure there is nothing "missing in your brain", it sounds like the "low serotonin" theory docs were spouting back then courtesy of the drug companies.  Panic attacks happen for a reason, but docs tend to jump straight to meds as if they're the only treatment option.

Its difficult to make a decission if i now for sure its withdrawel i can ride it out but if its not i dont know what else it can be and that is why i make myself crazy thinking and thinking but i know that nobody knows

I think it is highly likely to be withdrawal based on the information you've given.  See if you can focus on one day at a time and avoid the "what if" thinking as much as possible.  Try repeating some positive affirmations which can help to override the negative thoughts and worries.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

Thanks altostrata i checked my magnesium and it was 80 i think thats ok !

Yes songbird i have to stop thinking what if because thats what making me so scared !

What do you think about a small dose of St johns wort instead of paxil ?

Hi Britt-- sorry to hear that your feeling poorly.  You've only been off since October so it is still early days and you'll still be feeling some symptoms.  I would avoid the St Johns Wort, technically it is an ssri and comes with all the associated problems.  It tends to reach tolerance in just a month or so and then you're stuck with getting off of it.  It is marketed by the supplements industry, which is unregulated, so you never know what dose or quality you are really taking.  To me the disadvantages really outweigh any benefit you would get.  I would concentrate on non med methods of handling things. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I would not recommend taking St Johns Wort.  It has been shown to be effective for mild depression for some people, with "normal" brains, i.e. not in AD w/d.  It is unlikely to help with Paxil w/d and could potentially make things worse.  (I actually tried it years ago and it had no effect on me).  I think you will need to learn to be patient and let your system rebalance itself, rather than looking for a solution in a pill.  There really isn't a pill that cures w/d.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Britt - please do not think that this is you.   I can really relate to your story.    Until I found out about withdrawal, I thought the same and I've stopped taking the paxil and then re-instated many times over many years.  I am one of the lucky ones and re-instatement has always worked for me.  If you are going to re-instate, do it now, not later - starting with a tiny tiny dose to see what reaction you get.  But if you CAN live with the symptoms, then.....

I promise you, the depression is NOT you.   It's the result of your far too fast and alternate dose withdrawal. 

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

But i am depressed for 2 years now and I am looking for something to handle it more i cant go on for this much longer ???? i am so scared

EVER do you think it was a fast taper ? Id did the taper in 17 months thats not that fast dont you think ?

Hello Brit,

Just wanted to say hello and Merry Christmas!

I wish you well!

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Thanks t girl very Nice ! The same to you !

• Moderator Emeritus

You could try some mindfulness techniques, I have found them very helpful when I get hit with w/d depression.  I try to observe it, I even gave it a name (the "Doomcloud") to help me separate myself from it.  You could choose a name that you think suits.  When the depression hits, I say to myself "oh, there's the Doomcloud again", so that I don't identify with it.  It helps me to understand that it is just some chemical BS going on in my brain, and not the real me.  It's just another w/d symptom, like the stabbing pains I sometimes get in my toes.  By standing back in my mind and observing what is going on in a detached way, I feel less involved in it all and it has less power over me.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

I gotta remember that one myself Songbird. 

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Somebody ever heard of rtms for depression ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, we have a topic on it here:

TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation)?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I have Major depression and i want to take something because i cant handle it no more ! I have it for 2 years now and its to long ! What would you suggest ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Have a look for this book "Healing Without Freud or Prozac" by David Servan-Schreiber.  He outlines a number of non-med treatments for anxiety and depression that have been backed up by scientific research.  There are many more options, of course, but this book gives you a "taster" of what's out there.  It is quite likely that your depression is from withdrawal and may improve with more time.  If you are finding the w/d unbearable, reinstating the med you were on is likely the best option, although after 15 years of use, it is quite possible that it may no longer work.  I think your best bet is to stay off meds and let your brain continue its rebalancing work.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Songbird do you think that its possible that the depression can go over also after 2 years ?

Hi Britt-- from your signature I can see that you have only been drug free for about 6 weeks.  So you're still stabilizing from your final cut.  Being drug free doesn't mean being symptom free.  Your brain now has to go through a final period of readjustment to getting along with out the drug.  You said you were depressed while tapering, to my thinking reinstating  wouldn't change anything and probably just add to the confusion. I really agree with Songbird that giving it more time and looking for nonmed options wold be the way to go.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thankx brassmonkey

• Administrator

Britt -- It sounds to me like the skipping doses you did earlier when you were taking Paxil started the withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms come from a destabiilized nervous system.

Our nervous systems are much happier when they are in a stable environment.

Although you had the symptoms of a destabilized nervous system, when you did some tapering, it continued shaking up your nervous system. Decreasing dosages, even when very gradual, can also be destabilizing.

This is why you've been feeling terrible for 2 years. It sounds to me like you have had a destabilized nervous system from changing your Paxil dosage throughout that time.

Often, people who are tapering and start getting withdrawal symptoms can help their nervous systems stabilize if they stop changing the dosage. They stop tapering and take one low dose for some time, perhaps a few months or more.

Thank you all ! I tapered til 0,2 mg liguid paxil that was till last week i have ringing in my ears and bad sleep, anxiety brain fog

Do you have any Paxil left? You could take 0.2mg Paxil again; take it every day at the same time. If this helps you feel a little better, you may wish to take 0.2mg for some months, then very carefully taper off even that tiny amount.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks altostrata !!

Does someone knows if paxil can mask add ? Or knows what you can do about it ? I have racing thoughts thats why i think i have add and paxil masked it ! Or can it be withdrawel ?

• Moderator Emeritus

It can definitely be withdrawal.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

I am so scared it doesnt get any better the depression lifts a bit and i takes place for never ending thoughts whats wrong with me ? There are nights when i sleep 2 hours and nights when i sleep 6 hours ! And ringing in my ears heartbeats and anxiety !

• Administrator

That sounds like a typical pattern of withdrawal syndrome.

Altostrata or anyone else help help ! I think i have add and paxil masked it ! I stopped paxil and have mist in my head agitation racing thoughts ! I am going to the docter and i am scared he will give ritalin or some other drugs ! Are there alternatieves ?

Hi Britt-- No you don't have add.  You've only been off paxil for a few months and you're getting hit with some very common WD symptoms.  "Mist in my head" or what is usually referred to as "brain fog" is something that everyone gets, I have a nice dose of it right now.  Pay closer attention to what ever you have to do and you'll be fine, it will come and go as it wants to.  As for agitation and racing thoughts, the best thing is to accept them as being caused by the drugs and then let them go or try thinking about something else, given time they will calm down too.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks brassmonkey huggsss for you to ! I think i have add it runs in the famiy my brother is having ADHD an i think paxil masked it for 15 years do you think that is possible ? Xx

Maybe thats why i never felt stable all of this is horror i dont know any more are the also people with add that can life without meds ? I dont know anymore is it withdrawel is t add is it both ? I am lost !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody knows of add can masked by paxil ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Britt I think you are panicking about ADD when it is really withdrawal. I have never heard of ADD being

helped or masked  by paxil. Take a look here at Dr Glenmullens withdrawal checklist. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Your doctor will no doubt offer you some drugs and may even diagnose you with something else. and offer 

you more psychiatric drugs which can make things even worse. Did you have any paxil left? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible