Cdav: How to deal with depression and interrupted personal/career plans

Cdav

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cdav , could you try 0.5mg ?    You want the brain zaps to go , yet not have the jaw-clenching and other side effects.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cdav

• LoveandLight

• WiggleIt

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fresh, thank you for your suggestion. 

After enduring the zaps for two days… I tried 0.5 mg of citalopram, brain zaps didn't go away completely, but lowered in intensity. But I woke up with the jaw jittering and clenching plus more akathisia/RLS. :( This has subsided as the day goes by, but I don't know if it's a good idea for me to be taking 0.5 mg on a daily basis because the effect accumulates and my serotonin receptors are really damaged. 

However, I've noticed whenever I'm going to have a bout of brain zaps, I have a huge surge of neuro-emotions, fear, dread, depression, anxiety. 

I really don't know what's the best way to go. This is difficult. 

Next step will probably be to try 0.25 mg and see what happens. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

So sorry cdav. Pughugs coming your way. You'll emerge from the symptoms and be able to catch your breath soon.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Thank you Pug, hugs coming your way too. Thank you for the support, you're an angel :) 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

Unable to read much. Just saying hello. Xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thank you Joanna. Hope you get a window soon. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for writing to me Cdav.  I'm so sad to read about your symptoms.  All I can do is pray for you, and I do.  

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Thank you Wiggle. I also pray for you and all of us. 

Depression is bad today. Brain zaps are constant, can't eat. Seems like my boyfriend or soon to be ex-boyfriend can no longer handle my constant complaints, crying, inability to do normal things as a couple and my talking about wanting to die. I just have my parents, that's the only unconditional love that exists for me right now. I'm thankful for that but it hurts so deeply that my partner can't understand this. I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to be with me either. 

Oh, Cdav, sweetheart, I'm so sorry you are going through this WD and it's causing relationship road bumps. Dammit. This is so hard. I'm praying for you and your partner to be able to weather this storm and come out on the other side stronger than before.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey cdav ,   what did you decide about trying 0.25mg?     How has the past 24 hours been for you?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

CDAV..it's crap isn't it? But I think you'd doing amazingly well and you've been an inspiration to me..you'll get there cxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Thank you so much for your prayers, Pug.  We're doing a bit better right now, since I've had a semi-window these last couple of days, thank God. How are you doing?

Fresh, I had to go back to 1 mg to get rid of the zaps, I don't know why but thankfully, the jaw thing didn't happen. I'm still having akathisia, a little less intense and mostly in the mornings but I'm getting long breaks during the day from it. It seems like I'm beginning to stabilise on 1 mg, my mood has been better these two last days. I really pray for things to keep improving. Thank you for passing by. How are you doing? 

Thank you Joanna, I can't believe I'm having a very good window after such a horrible wave. But I really thank God for it, and when a wave comes back I'll try to remember these windows, because they really remind me that life is worth living. 

I also wanted to add, I was hesitant to share this as I'm very skeptical about it and my parents decided this for me. I started TMS therapy this week. It's supposed to last between 4 and 6 weeks. The machine just arrived at a hospital in my city and the treatment is not as expensive as in the US. 

I don't expect for it to help me with the physical withdrawal symptoms, I'm just hoping it helps with the suicidal depression. I'm not really sure this will be possible since my depression is not a normal depression, it's a depression caused by protractedwithdrawal, unlike any depression I had experience before meds. Still I'm having the treatment and letting you all know how it goes. 

Like I said these past two days my mood has been very good (and I had been really depressed), I don't know if it's the therapy or that I'm trying to stabilise on 1 mg of citalopram. The doctor that is attending me is really nice to me and concerned about all of my withdrawal problems and how this might interfere with me feeling better. But we're going to give it a try. 

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. 

• Moderator Emeritus

What is TMS therapy?

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I just looked it up. That's electroshock therapy. I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you what to do, but as your friend, I can beg you please don't do that. Please. Do not.

Cdav, I don't trust whichever doctor told you to try this. At all.

Please, can a moderator weigh in here?

• Moderator Emeritus

I should just shut my big, fat mouth. Just please be careful and listen to what your body tells you. Please, please be careful.

I'm glad you shared this, though, and I hope my concern doesn't make you regret your choice to tell us about the treatment. I'm just a big scaredy cat about every treatment now. I promise I'm not being judgmental, just want you to be safe.

Your in a window now? :)

Your in a window now? :)

Sorry, I started TMS last week, not this week. 

Wiggle, I understand it sounds like a very scary treatment, but it's not elecroshock therapy at all. That one is called ECT and has been around for many years it is really invasive, doctors have to sedate patients in order to do the treatment and some people do feel better depression-wise but there's a lot of chances of losing memory and many other horrible side effects. 

On the other hand, TMS is similar to ECT in the sense that it senses electromagnetic pulses. But it does this in a much much milder way and just to a single part of the brain. There's no need for anaesthesia and the only possible side effect is a little headache. I haven't had any side effects yet. For me it hasn't hurt or been uncomfortable, only the first day I felt a little scalp discomfort and the I got used to it. 

I know many people here might see this treatment as something bad, and I really understand that. But this depression is SO debilitating and the suicidal feelings and thoughts have been with me daily for a long time, that I really don't care about any side effect of this therapy, I'm just hoping it helps me. 

So far, all I can say is that I had two VERY good days this past sunday and monday, still with some physical discomforts, but they have lessened and I haven't cried desperately which I have done everyday since I don't remember when. I don't know if this is just a very good window, or if it's the TMS helping, I have to see how it goes from here. 

Please don't worry about me Wiggle, I'll be okay. I know you're very scared. 

Joanna, yes I'm in a window :) It's not completely open in matter of physical symptoms which I'm still having (akathisia/RLS) but in mood it is quite open right now. Thank God. 

There was a thread around here in the site about someone who had bad WD depression and received TMS and felt much better. So I'm hoping this is my case too. 

At least I know right now, my brain is capable of feeling very good even if it feels like crap most of the time. 

Yes, glad your in a window..and thanks so much for the comments on my thread xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I thought this was the same as the old, scary electro-treatment!  I am soooo relieved to hear that it is different!

Yes, it's a completely different treatment. It has shown to be very helpful for several neurological conditions, parkinson's, dysphagia, paralysis, depression, and more. 

So far I think it is really starting to help me with depression. 

Yay!

:)

cdav, what brand/type of lecithin do you take?

Pug,

It's GNC Triple lecithin 1200

I take 4 capsules in total each day,(2 in the a.m. And 2 in the p.m.) this is a high dose. I would start with one capsule and see how it goes. It's supposed to help balance the cholinergic/dopaminergic systems which are a cause of akathisia when they are off balance. But we do have to be careful with supplements anyway.

Pug,

It's GNC Triple lecithin 1200

I take 4 capsules in total each day,(2 in the a.m. And 2 in the p.m.) this is a high dose. I would start with one capsule and see how it goes. It's supposed to help balance the cholinergic/dopaminergic systems which are a cause of akathisia when they are off balance. But we do have to be careful with supplements anyway.

Thanks, Cdav.

A bad dip in mood today. Very disheartened since I had been feeling so much better and thought TMS was helping. I guess this is a wave or PMS or both.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cdav ,     I think it's fabulous that you're sharing your experience of TENS ,  how else can we learn?  

It's a shame that the TENS started at the same time as your citalopram increase (could you add that to your sig.? ) .   Hard to know which is helping.

Two days up and one day down is a start in the right direction in my books  :).

Hang in there , you're doing great. 

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you Fresh, I'm doing better today. I'm having windows and waves in one single day, it's really strange. I try to enjoy the windows and just push through the waves of akathisia and depression and other symptoms. 

Here's a link about TMS, so you can learn a bit more about it. 

http://www.contemporarycare.net/transcranialmagneticstimulation/tms-therapy-faqs.php

I'm not sure if TMS is helping, the only thing I've noticed is I've been crying less, feeling more interested in things I had lost interest in (reading, exercise, socialising, the singing lessons I teach), and having more windows of better mood. It's not causing any bad side effects so far. TMS only focuses on the left prefrontal cortex, supposedly not working well during depression. So I still feel like many parts of my brain are still struggling to reach homeostasis and harmony. 

But yes, I feel like I'm going in the right direction even with the bad days. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is such good news!!!

Cdav. You are so strong and compassionate towards others. Every little break you have is a Godsend. Love you. Hoping and praying for long windows for you.

Thank you Wiggle and Pug. 

Bad akathisia day today, but no depression, so I'm being able to endure this.