Satch: Seroquel and Remeron Help!

Satch

I'm terrified. Thanks for the encouragement.

Klonopin 2mg 2000-2005 Tapered off without bad symptoms

Ativan 1mg 2007-2010 Tapered with moderate problems

Klonopin 16 total mgs in Jan and Feb 2014 - got dependent and foolishly updosed by bad doctor to 1.25mg for 4 weeks.  Then horrific detox and placed on Neurontin 100mg, bid, Propanolol 40mg prn, Seroquel 100mg qhs and Remeron 15mg qhs.  Quickly dropped Neurontin and Propanolol.   Stuck on other two meds and still having strong symptoms from klonopin cold turkey.  Want someday to be med free and healed again

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Satch

• tgirl

• Altostrata

• chicken

Top Posters In This Topic

Satch,

Maybe your still suffering from your c/t?

I am terrified as well! Believe me when I say it's all I think about these days!

Hang in there!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

I'm definately still suffering from ct. That's what gives me pause about other tapers.

Klonopin 16 total mgs in Jan and Feb 2014 - got dependent and foolishly updosed by bad doctor to 1.25mg for 4 weeks.  Then horrific detox and placed on Neurontin 100mg, bid, Propanolol 40mg prn, Seroquel 100mg qhs and Remeron 15mg qhs.  Quickly dropped Neurontin and Propanolol.   Stuck on other two meds and still having strong symptoms from klonopin cold turkey.  Want someday to be med free and healed again

Just go slow, because your brain is still muddled from your c/t?

By the way, why would you do a c/t benzo withdrawl?

Hope your well today!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

I foolishly agreed to a detox because my family was freaked out because I had been suicidal mainly because the klonopin had become paradoxical and I stopped sleeping. The ct was the single most horrific thing I've ever experienced. Did damage I fear is permanent.

Dear Satch,

I'll bet the detox was horrifc!

Hown do you feel today?

Any improvement?

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Not really. I'm very hopeless. Feel trapped in psychistry. With my cooked cns don't see how I'm going to ever get off these meds.

You will be fine.

Have you thought about reinstating the benzo and re tapering? How long have you been off it?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Been off seven months. Way too long to reinstate.

Satch,

I do not know much about benzo or benzo withdrawl.

Sorry

How r u feeling?

Are you able to work?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Be glad. It's the worst drug withdrawal on the planet.

I don't know. I've heard that remeron is worse. We shall see.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

I can sorta work. My life has been destroyed by this.

Help. I'm in the wave to end all waves. I think I need to go to the hospital. Is there any benefit to an inpatient stay.

• Mentor

Help. I'm in the wave to end all waves. I think I need to go to the hospital. Is there any benefit to an inpatient stay.

Oh Satch I feel for you...   I am having to take seroquol again, probably try 100mg a night.  I can not answer for you about going to hospital.  Have you got a friend or family nearby that understand?

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry you're suffering Satch.  Many of us have been where you are, feeling what you feel now, and have improved greatly.  You seem worried that you've permanently damaged yourself, I can tell you that this is very unlikely.  Deciding when one feels well enough to taper is a personal judgment call.  I've been waiting two years for the boat to stop rocking, and I still don't feel ready.  If I were you I'd hold where are you for now, since the going is still so rough.  So sorry this is so hard Satch, but things will absolutely improve over time.  Hang in there.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thanks for the encouraging words. I foolishly took some vicodin which I know has thrown me into this wave. I really have little hope for a good outcome after a horrific klonopin ct.

I was with family for last two weeks abc now have to leave. They think I need to be pushed. I really just need to be housed and given tlc. Everyone thinks my healing can be influenced. Am I missing something.

Any thoughts.

I've been on seroquel 100mg after a brutal klonopin detox for eight months. Just recently my teeth are starting to move and my tongue feels weird. Is it possible this low of a dose could already be causing tardive dyskinesia.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry that your family are unable to be supportive, but they most likely don't understand anything about withdrawal or what you are going through, its not their fault they don't understand and you are the only one who can educate them about it, but it they don't want to listen, then there's not much more you can do.

Having the support and understanding of friends and family can be very helpful, but few people going through this are lucky enough to have that, it doesn't mean you can't recover though.  You have the support and understanding of us here, there are other online sites where you can find support and you can do the best you can to take care of yourself as you taper and recover.

Read back through your thread, especially some of the good advice you have been given.  I agree with what narcissus says here:

If I were you I'd hold where are you for now, since the going is still so rough.  So sorry this is so hard Satch, but things will absolutely improve over time.

You need to remain functional so that you can work and support yourself, that is reality.  I don't think you need to be housed and taken care of, it would be nice, but I don't think its going to happen.  So what you really need is to find a way to be patient and realistic.  You are still recovering from your CT off Klonopin earlier this year.

You have a long history with these kinds of drugs and there have been some destabilizing changes over the past year, from my understanding, I would assume that your nervous system is sensitized and still struggling.  Recovery takes time, for some people it takes more time.  If you give your body the time it needs, you will eventually get off the drugs, remain functional and preserve your life and future.  I believe you will have a good outcome.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks. I'm worried I'm starting to get tardive dyskinesia. Mouth and especially tongue feel weird and aren't behaving normal. Doc over phone denied it but was only basing it on averages. What should I do.

• Moderator Emeritus

I came off low dose TCAs and low dose benzodiazepines myself recently and I HAVE seen recovery stories on here about this symptom.  I'm having issues myself.

Also, I personally know someone who recovered from these symptoms, so not just someone I've read about on forums, but a real-life person who I KNOW recovered from tardive dyskinesia induced by medication.  It must be a sign of hope.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Satch, I can't diagnose TD over the Internet or tell you what to do about it. If you're really concerned about it I think you need to see your doc in person.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It's miserable. I know it's not much help, but I've seen a lot of people as bad off as you or worse who eventually improve. The fact that you're able to hold down a job is a great sign, don't expect too much of yourself right now. Hang in there and take as good care of yourself as you can.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Satch, you need to stay calm. Take it one breath at a time. Be patient. You will get through this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This may not mean much, but you are working, and sleeping. There are those of us incapable of both. It could be much much worse for you. You actually have a lot going for you. If I were u, I would hold, and wait for stability. Best of luck.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thanks everyone. I really want off the seroquel. I feel poisoned every time I take it. I can't believe a detox feels it's medically appropriate to rip someone ct off of a benzo and replace it with an antipsychotic which has a much worse side effect profile. Am I crazy to even try a small cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

No, not crazy, maybe a little impatient.  We are all concerned that you are going to make your situation worse than it is.  It would be better if you could find a way to calm down without changing your current drug schedule, then your thinking may become a little clearer, and you would be in a better place to make this decision.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

I understand. I just fear the seroquel is poison and going to give me td. I'm grinding my teeth at times and my eyes are darting at times. Just scared.

• Moderator Emeritus

What you are describing doesn't sound like TD, see here:

http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/symptoms/

But if you are really worried perhaps you should do as Rhi suggested

Satch, I can't diagnose TD over the Internet or tell you what to do about it. If you're really concerned about it I think you need to see your doc in person.

Ultimately its your decision if you decide to start tapering seroquel now, if you do, please make the first cut a very small one to see how its going to effect you.

I understand you are scared, but compared to some people on here you are doing well.  You will get through this.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thanks petu. I'm actually seeing doc soon about the td. What is the treatment if I do have it.

My tongue is tingling. Moving around feels heavy. Lips are also tingling. Help.

Last night after taking meds my throat totally locked up. Muscles wouldn't respond. Should I go to er or call doc.

Satch, How are you now?

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Tongue is still dancing around. Not sure what to do. Wonder if I should go inpatient and get help. Not sure there's anyyhing that can help this.

• Administrator

I've been on seroquel 100mg after a brutal klonopin detox for eight months. Just recently my teeth are starting to move and my tongue feels weird. Is it possible this low of a dose could already be causing tardive dyskinesia.

Satch, I'm concerned that this is an adverse effect of the Seroquel. If I were you, I'd reduce it. That's just my personal opinion.

If you go to the hospital, it's likely they'll give you a benzo or another drug for this symptom.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.