Progress! What withdrawal symptoms have gone away for you?

Rhiannon

@Superwoman no I just had the cold hands/feet in withdrawal. I never experienced any side effects on medication personally (I was taken off of Risperidone because it was elevating my prolactin levels, but I was oblivious to it). 

Can of pop, lol.

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

@Armorall

He was totally convinced it was a can of pop.

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

really amazed how the depression has gone,especially since I'm still dealing w/a lot of depressing symptoms if you know what I mean.😕

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

On 12/14/2019 at 6:10 AM, Superwoman said:

Did you have these symptoms on the medication or just during withdrawal?  I had freezing cold hands, feet and nose on Effexor at the higher dose.  One night I touched my husbands back in bed. He about jumped to the ceiling!  I kid you not, he literally thought that I was playing a prank on him and had touched his back with an ice cold can of pop! Lol!  That’s how cold my hands were. 

It just occurred to me recently that my hands are rarely cold anymore since I tapered down my medication.  At least not like before.  It never occurred to me that this could be a side effect.  I wonder if antidepressants effect blood flow?

I have cold hands and feet’s but not everyday. I never experienced this before tapering.

AD: Seroxat since 2005 20 mg and tapering from March 2018 10% every 4 weeks.

15-11-2019 down to 5.5 mg 

28-12-2019 crashed really bad on 5.5mg 

01-01-2020 updose to 7mg

16-01-2020 Updose to 9 mg

Benzos: Bromazepam 1.5 mg daily since 2015

Quit CT Bromazepam 16-01-2020 No withdrawals 

Occasionally 1.5 mg extra

Last extra 1.5 mg 12-01-2020

I'm trying to hold onto any little teeny, tiny ray of hope right now, so I'm posting to make myself (and others) feel better haha.  Something that is better is my sensitivity to cold temps and winter darkness (not having actual coldness as in the post above; just a sensitivity to it). Just a year ago (before the majority of my taper), I was bothered by how meds made me feel so sensitive to (for instance) holding a cold beverage that had ice in it; or going outside in December without gloves on.  This winter, even though I just finished tapering and have many more worrisome symptoms, I can celebrate that the cold actually feels... dare I say it... Good?   Also I used to dread the short sunlight days but this year, despite crippling depression/anxiety from coming off meds, the lack of sun itself doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Also I think, if I'm honest, my stomach pain is better. Nausea is wretched, but pain itself is much better. 

--Current supplements: Fish oil 1000 mg x4 (split into 2 doses of 1000 mg); Vit. D 2,000 iu once daily; 2-3 tsp coconut oil daily

--3/14/20: Re-discontinued gabapentin after 2 weeks, due to agitation

--2/27/20: Reinstated Kpin .5mg and also briefly reinstated gabapentin 300mg. 2x/daily, to help with side effects (Kpin dose usually taken in a.m. between 5-8 a.m.; gabapentin once in a.m. and once around 6 p.m.)

--2/13/20: Tried reducing Kpin down to .375mg due to dysphoric side effects; tried to CT but started hallucinating again after 4 days

--1/23/20: Placed on daily .5mg dose of Klonopin

--From July 2017-Jan. 2020: PRN Klonopin 1mg. :  up to 1x/day:  sometimes weeks without it, sometimes 1-2x/week, sometimes 4-5x/week; tried to CT in Jan. 2020 and ended up in hospital with delirium and hallucinations

--November 2019: Weaned down gabapentin approx. 100 mg. per week and discontinued it

--August 7, 2019-10/18/19: Reduced Trintellix from 10mg. down to zero (insurance stopped paying for it - I couldn't afford it).

--February 2019-11/30/19: Reduced nortriptyline from 75 mg. to zero

--As of February 2019:  Meds were 10 mg. (1x/day) Trintellix, 75 mg. (1x/day) nortriptyline, and 600 mg. gabapentin

--1992 through 2018: On various cocktails of meds, starting with anafranil

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm looking back tonight at when I first started this tapering process 10 years ago. I was pretty intensely suicidal and in a great deal of emotional pain almost all the time. Both of those things are gone. Those intense waves of emotional pain and despair--once in a great while I will get something maybe a little like that, kind of an emotional "zap", but it doesn't last long, it feels like a "wobble" that then kind of rights itself.

But my emotions are up and down and come and go, they may still be being affected by the drugs and withdrawal, or maybe it's just life, I don't know. It's nothing like that agony I felt at first though.

I think the most noticeable change is the disappearance of suicidality. It was gradual, over years. At first I was actively suicidal, coming up with various plans, but not acting on them mostly because I did that once and I didn't want to go through that again. Then it sort of bumpily transitioned to a more passive suicidality, where I knew I wouldn't actively harm myself but I often wished I would drop dead from a heart attack or get hit by a truck or something. Then it transitioned from that into a lighter kind of thing where I realized I didn't really want to die NOW, but I sort of hoped I wouldn't have a particularly long life, like when death came it would be a relief but I wasn't really ready for it to come right this minute. And gradually that lightened up to where it was interspersed with occasional surprising days or hours of realizing that I actually do NOT want to die, that I'm happy that I'm alive, for no particular reason, just the natural survival instinct of the organism reasserting itself. And now, over the past year and a half or so, that has become my norm. I do have bad times from time to time where I feel discouraged about life and feel like "this sucks and isn't worth doing" but that is about as bad as it gets these days. I am absolutely certain that I do NOT want to harm myself, in fact quite the contrary, I feel pretty self-protective. And I hope to live quite a few more years yet, at least another 25 or 30.

So those are the most noticeable changes for me. And the suicidality was pretty much a constant companion every year that I was on psych meds before I started tapering officially. It was worse sometimes and better other times but always in the background for those 18 years or so, so it's a significant change for me.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Mentor

For me, I've stopped making the jump from vague possibility to absolute certainty and then catastrophizing everything.  I used to be constantly afraid the slightest mistake or slip-up would result in a terrible consequence.  I think I convinced myself I was one step from the grave and/or jail at least 400 times.  I'm much better about keeping my thoughts in the realm of reality.

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

On 1/9/2020 at 7:34 PM, Rhiannon said:

So those are the most noticeable changes for me. And the suicidality was pretty much a constant companion every year that I was on psych meds before I started tapering officially. It was worse sometimes and better other times but always in the background for those 18 years or so, so it's a significant change for me.

Wow Rhiannon, thank you so much for sharing this. I too have had terribly recurrent suicidal ideations, mostly for the past 3 1/2 years, mainly due to the psych drugs, and that is the reason I've taken action to get off of them. Hope to have this symptom go away myself some day...

But I digress... this thread is about things that have already gone away. (I like participating in threads like this; they help balance the negativity I usually find myself in). Okay, here's one:  A few months ago, I had to always be near a bathroom, and I had some mild urinary incontinence for about 2 months that really freaked me out. But I don't even think about that anymore. It was a symptom that seems to have passed. 

Hoping that's not TMI 🤨 haha.

--Current supplements: Fish oil 1000 mg x4 (split into 2 doses of 1000 mg); Vit. D 2,000 iu once daily; 2-3 tsp coconut oil daily

--3/14/20: Re-discontinued gabapentin after 2 weeks, due to agitation

--2/27/20: Reinstated Kpin .5mg and also briefly reinstated gabapentin 300mg. 2x/daily, to help with side effects (Kpin dose usually taken in a.m. between 5-8 a.m.; gabapentin once in a.m. and once around 6 p.m.)

--2/13/20: Tried reducing Kpin down to .375mg due to dysphoric side effects; tried to CT but started hallucinating again after 4 days

--1/23/20: Placed on daily .5mg dose of Klonopin

--From July 2017-Jan. 2020: PRN Klonopin 1mg. :  up to 1x/day:  sometimes weeks without it, sometimes 1-2x/week, sometimes 4-5x/week; tried to CT in Jan. 2020 and ended up in hospital with delirium and hallucinations

--November 2019: Weaned down gabapentin approx. 100 mg. per week and discontinued it

--August 7, 2019-10/18/19: Reduced Trintellix from 10mg. down to zero (insurance stopped paying for it - I couldn't afford it).

--February 2019-11/30/19: Reduced nortriptyline from 75 mg. to zero

--As of February 2019:  Meds were 10 mg. (1x/day) Trintellix, 75 mg. (1x/day) nortriptyline, and 600 mg. gabapentin

--1992 through 2018: On various cocktails of meds, starting with anafranil

I thought I would pitch in with a couple of major ones for me.

Agoraphobia (I was homebound for about 2 years).

Suicidality (I agree with the previous distinction between "not feeling like living" and "wanting to die". Most of my life since I was put on meds at 17 y I have passionately and sincerely wanted to die (and attempted). I don't feel that way any more. Like a switch has flipped - even when things are awful my desire and solution to it is not "to die" any more)

And of course there is a long list of other horrible symptoms that I have had and no longer have. Psychotic fears for example.

I am currently on 12,5 mg Valdoxan and 0,216 Diazepam (have tapered off Olanzapine from this particular cocktail). 

• 2,5 years of slowly tapering down Cymbalta from 60 mg. Then tried going from 8,44 mg to 1 mg in 8 days. (April 1st 2015). That's when the real hell started. Reinstated. Didn't help. I was added Ativan (2 mg 2 times a day for relentless akathisia that started with jumping Cymbalta). For years had been taking Zopitin 7,5 mg and Stilnox 10 mg for I had not been able to sleep naturally since the 1st day I started Cymbalta). Used to take Xanax occasionally.
  • All of the above were stopped cold turkey when I was hospitalized in the beginning of May 2015.
  • Prior to that I have been on and off the whole spectrum of different AD-s for 15 years (since I was 17).

My introduction.

Tapering:

• Olanzapine (starting point 2,1 mg): Jan 2016  /---/ April 2018 0 mg. (From 2,1 mg to 0 mg in 1y 3mo).
  • Diazepam (starting at 5 mg) : switching to liquid May 2018;  4,6 mg (June 2018) /---/ 0 mg (Feb 2020) (From 10 to 5 - nobody knows, from 5 to 0 in 1 y 10 mo)
  • Valdoxan (starting at 25 mg): switching to liquid (Feb 2019) /---/ 0 mg (July 2020)

Hello Rhi,

Thank you for sharing your feelings and experience about transitioning from not wanting to be amongst the living to being happy to be alive. They are painful things to wrestle with and it takes personal courage to look these negative feelings in the eye (admit that they are real and shared by others) and then realize life is a gift. I am repeatedly told everone has a different path and this is mine.

I have intemittently coped with suicidal ideation but turn my feelings around eventhough it is hard - to know my life is a gift. There are things I want to accomplish and share with others - and there is the biological instinct to survive.  There are many times (passive) when I wish I had gone wtih a friend a lost to illness.

On the positive side - I have improved a great deal since last August, and after reinstatement, last December. Acute symptoms have lessened. Many come and go - you think they are gone - but they then return in a less intense form. A few of them are limiting. I'm grateful for days when I do not have imbalance (for one). Agoraphobia is terrible.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:34 PM, Rhiannon said:

'm happy that I'm alive, for no particular reason,

I am so glad you feel this way. So is your family. :)

Hugs,

G.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:38 PM, mstimc said:

For me, I've stopped making the jump from vague possibility to absolute certainty and then catastrophizing everything.  I used to be constantly afraid the slightest mistake or slip-up would result in a terrible consequence.  I think I convinced myself I was one step from the grave and/or jail at least 400 times.  I'm much better about keeping my thoughts in the realm of reality.

Wow, I didn't think this was a WD thing. I have been having that intensely in the last year or so and I thought it was just my personality off the drugs. Thank you for sharing this. I have days where probabilities seem more realistic but most of the time it's catastrophe after catastrophe. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Mentor
Just now, Onmyway said:

Wow, I didn't think this was a WD thing. I have been having that intensely in the last year or so and I thought it was just my personality off the drugs. Thank you for sharing this. I have days where probabilities seem more realistic but most of the time it's catastrophe after catastrophe. 

Hi Onmyway.  Well, catastrophizing comes with OCD, but it was much worse in WD.  During recovery, I realized coming off my SSRI wasn't going to do me any good unless I also addressed my anxious and obsessive behaviors at the same time.   That's where the CBT and therapy came in.

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

15 hours ago, phill said:

Has anyone on this forum experienced long term insomnia withdrawal from ssris and/or antipsychotics and how did you cope with it? have you been fully healed from the insomnia where your able to sleeep for 8-10 and not wake up have broken sleep?

Occasionally I'm now able to sleep over 6 hrs. In the beginning I slept no more than 1-4 a night for a few months. In waves it gets worse, in windows it gets better but I think now I can manage an average of 5-6. 

Things that helped.

1) Accepting that this will get better on its own when it does and in the meantime I will be ok on the sleep that I could get

This was life changing. Really helped.

2) extended release melatonin - not sure if this was placebo. Melatonin is only somewhat helpful in staying asleep but I think it helped 

That's it. Insomnia gets better for everyone. It just takes time. Also accepting it and not obsessing about it is what helped me the most. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• 1 year later...

My cognitive function was able to heal over a couple months. I am lucky in that regard. I hope to add more in the future.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 6 months later...

Thought it might be nice to have a community thread for posting about improvements great and small, as we notice them occurring. We mention positive developments in our intro topics and of course there are the success stories; I'd love for this to be a place to pop in for a little snack of something promising, a little pick-me-up for when we want to share a nugget or savor a nibble. 

I've been noticing something I think is an improvement (curious to hear what you think): increased muscle efficacy/strength -- the opposite of muscle weakness. In other words, I feel like my muscles are working better!

This is remarkable to me because it's been a couple of years since I've been able to exercise properly, and I'm definitely in worse shape, much heavier with more fat and less muscle mass, than I was at the beginning of WD. I haven't been lifting weights or training, I can't do much at all. However I feel like my muscles work better. I've been noticing this on and off for the past few months. I still sometimes get muscle aches and extreme full-body fatigue, but it's like my muscles have more energy, more available resources to do what they need to do. I'm not sure how to describe it but it's pretty cool. 

This new experience is making me realize that I may have suffered from significant drug-induced muscle weakness for decades without even realizing it. I just thought how it was was normal. Now I'm thinking it probably wasn't normal at all! How else to explain that today I am much older, overweight, out of shape, with inadequate muscle mass, and still things seem to be working better? If it is indeed the case that I had muscle weakness side effects for most of my life, consider me retroactively offended. 

Does this resonate with anyone?

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

I've been noticing something I think is an improvement (curious to hear what you think): increased muscle efficacy/strength -- the opposite of muscle weakness. In other words, I feel like my muscles are working better!

This is remarkable to me because it's been a couple of years since I've been able to exercise properly, and I'm definitely in worse shape, much heavier with more fat and less muscle mass, than I was at the beginning of WD. I haven't been lifting weights or training, I can't do much at all. However I feel like my muscles work better. I've been noticing this on and off for the past few months. I still sometimes get muscle aches and extreme full-body fatigue, but it's like my muscles have more energy, more available resources to do what they need to do. I'm not sure how to describe it but it's pretty cool. 

This new experience is making me realize that I may have suffered from significant drug-induced muscle weakness for decades without even realizing it. I just thought how it was was normal. Now I'm thinking it probably wasn't normal at all! How else to explain that today I am much older, overweight, out of shape, with inadequate muscle mass, and still things seem to be working better? If it is indeed the case that I had muscle weakness side effects for most of my life, consider me retroactively offended. 

Does this resonate with anyone?

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

• ChessieCat changed the title to Improvements: symptoms that have got better or improved
  • 4 months later...

Panic attacks are gone, pacing is largely gone. So is crushing chest pressure, oh, and a low grade temperature that lingered for months.

The restlessness, my worst symptom, is still here. But even that has lessened a bit. Drives me nuts though.

It is progress. Slow and painful, but progress.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 11:34 AM, Rhiannon said:

I was pretty intensely suicidal and in a great deal of emotional pain almost all the time. Both of those things are gone.

It’s a relief to hear that these things pass with time. I’m starting to admit to myself that if it wasn’t for my kids and partner and my deep love for them I wouldn’t be here. This thought happens a lot. I haven’t experienced this level of suicidal ideation in a very long time. But I love my family too much to do that to them. I hope this passes as it did for you. It’s overwhelming and seeps into every part of my life when it’s happening 

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:38 AM, mstimc said:

Wow I thought this was just something wrong with me…. But it’s WD? And it goes away? That’s incredible news!

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

As far as Seroquel withdrawal: insomnia, the most obvious symptom, subsided within about 1 week after stopping. Heightened anxiety and brain fog have also mostly faded away in the time since I stopped. Overall, very few obvious WD symptoms from Seroquel.

The big deal for me, and the reason I decided to stop taking these drugs, was an incredibly severe reaction I was having each time I took Seroquel. This reaction didn't start happening until around 1 year into taking the drug. It was inducing basically the mother of all panic attacks. Feeling 1000% positive that something horrible is happening and that I'm going to die. This feeling persisted for hours, every single night, after taking 150mg Seroquel. I was hospitalized for this.

Happy to say that I haven't experienced that reaction since stopping Seroquel. Priority #1 was getting a handle on that reaction.

1 week since stopping Depakote: General feeling of confusion and unease lasted a few days, feeling fairly normal otherwise. Sleep is fine. Can't think of anything that has interfered significantly with work or day to day life.

I was on both drugs for a little over 1 year at relatively consistent low doses (150mg Seroquel, 500mg Depakote)

Things I'm experiencing that I can't confidently attribute to withdrawal: chronic pain in neck and between shoulders, low energy, moderate depression, persistent dissociation (feeling like I'm watching a movie through my own eyes), frequent leg bouncing or repetitively clenching my toes (which is controllable if I notice and decide to stop). Most of these are things I've dealt with for a long time, maybe exacerbated slightly with medication changes.

Diagnosed with PTSD and general anxiety disorder.

Hopefully this information helps alleviate the fears of those with a similar background. It's different for everybody, but I found these drugs to have a far more agreeable withdrawal than other substances I've withdrawn from: nicotine, cannabis, sertraline (zoloft), clonezepam (klonopin), and hydrocodone (norco).

2014-2015 Clonazepam (Klonopin) 2mg BID, Sertraline (Zoloft) 150mg (Discontinued Clonazepam cold turkey)

2014-August 2021 Sertraline (Zoloft) 150mg (Discontinued cold turkey in hospital, replaced with new regimen)

August 2021 Sodium Valproate 500mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 150mg (Seroquel)

May 2022 Sodium Valproate 500mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 150mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Mirtazapine 15mg

July 2022 Sodium Valproate (Depakote) 500mg, Quetiapine 200mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Venlafaxine 75mg (roughly 10 days)

August 1 2022 Sodium Valproate 500mg (Depakote)Quetiapine 100mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Buspirone 10mg (5-7 days)

August 14 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 100mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN

September 7 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 50mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN

September 22 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 25mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN

October 9 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 12.5mg (Seroquel)

October 26 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 0.0mg (Seroquel) - #1 Goal Achieved

November 18 2022 Sodium Valproate 0.0mg (Depakote) Drug Free!

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

Bumping! What symptoms have gone away for you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Nearly a year later, I would say the leg bouncing and repetitive clenching of toes and fists have subsided a lot for the most part, but naturally, if I have a cup or two of coffee I'll catch myself bouncing my leg a bit.

Insomnia is nonexistent and I sleep fully and soundly every night, though I take melatonin to help with this. I work late and on computers, so it helps offset the disturbance from screen time. I had severe insomnia for much of the time I was on ADs and during withdrawal, so this is a considerable change.

The chronic pain and related issues I noted earlier have been traced to a spinal problem we found through X-rays, so I can at least say that the pain I'm in and related symptoms aren't due to WD but other circumstances.

Strangely, I've actually seen an increase in the number and intensity of my panic attacks in the last month. Unsure of the cause. Potentially related to spinal problems, since that's so heavily tied to your nervous system.

Overall I'd say I'm no longer experiencing any symptoms that seem like withdrawal symptoms. It'd be nice if things improved even more as time goes on, but I'm starting to think this is about as good as it'll get, and now I need to work on other parts of my life to progress further. I think I'm mostly back to my usual self, which is a person who still had enough mental issues to "need" those scripts initially.

2014-2015 Clonazepam (Klonopin) 2mg BID, Sertraline (Zoloft) 150mg (Discontinued Clonazepam cold turkey)

2014-August 2021 Sertraline (Zoloft) 150mg (Discontinued cold turkey in hospital, replaced with new regimen)

August 2021 Sodium Valproate 500mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 150mg (Seroquel)

May 2022 Sodium Valproate 500mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 150mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Mirtazapine 15mg

July 2022 Sodium Valproate (Depakote) 500mg, Quetiapine 200mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Venlafaxine 75mg (roughly 10 days)

August 1 2022 Sodium Valproate 500mg (Depakote)Quetiapine 100mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Buspirone 10mg (5-7 days)

August 14 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 100mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN

September 7 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 50mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN

September 22 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 25mg (Seroquel), Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN

October 9 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 12.5mg (Seroquel)

October 26 2022 Sodium Valproate 250mg (Depakote), Quetiapine 0.0mg (Seroquel) - #1 Goal Achieved

November 18 2022 Sodium Valproate 0.0mg (Depakote) Drug Free!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy