Trouble: gabapentin and effexor withdrawal

Trouble

Decided to wean off gabapentin and effexor due to side effectssuch as weight gain, low energy, fatigue, no motivation, antisocial, very little emotion.

I recently weaned off effexor. Was on 225mg for many years atleast 5yrs. Weaned down to 37.5 from jan to about april. Then weaned off from 37.5 to 0 from may to july of this year by bead counting. It was tough but i made it off.

Have been on antidepressant for last 17 yrs on and off. Previously on prozac, celexa, paxil, welbutrin. Was on 3600mg for awhile of gabapentin. Have been taking for 10yrs or so. Last year reduced to about 800-1200mg a day. Decided to wean off completely. This is attempt number 4.

Each time I weaned off too fast and became severely suicidal, extreme fatigue, thoughts of self harm so had to go back on and reduced slower. Currently taking 50mg every other day.

Still having extreme suicidal thoughts, depression, having thoughts about cutting myself or driving off the road. After a bad day at work I did in fact cut myself a few times. One I cant hide very well so its a bit embarassing. I blamed the cat but i dont think all my co workers buy that story. Especially with it being by old burns and scars.

Im starting to get worried these thoughts wont go away and may get worse. Im also getting extreme nausea, dropped 30lbs last few weeks, anger, crying. im so close to getting off this med again. I do not want to go back up yet again. Will these thoughts get better. Any ideas on what I should do? Keep weaning off, go back up again which I dont want to do. I feel so defeated.

1997-07/2014 antidepressants prozac, zoloft, paxil, then effexor last few yrs 225mg. Weaned off by bead counting.

2009-04/2014 bachlofen currently weaned off (10mg 3x day)

2009-04/2014 Cyclobenzaprine currently weaned off (10mg 3x day)

2004-2014 gabapentin 3600mg. Currently 50mg every other day. Will hopefully be off soon. Bad withdrawal symptoms: Suicidal thoughts, self harm, depression, anger, agitation, manic episodes, anxiety, panic attacks, fatigue, crying, nausea.

Current meds

Zopiclone, since 2004 15mg, will wean off this next

Codeine since 4-6 30mg tabs/day since 1997

Percocets 2-4 a day since 2010

Cannabis-dr prescribed

Magnesium, b vitamins, vit d, vit c.

Melatonin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Trouble and welcome to SA,

I'm very happy for you that you found this forum so that you can learn how to taper properly and not get yourself in the situations you describe. I also spent many years trying to come off with the only result of ending up on more drugs, higher doses and not to mention, feeling horrible.

Our aim is not to so much to get off the meds but to stay off them and, most importantly, have a reasonable quality of life throughout the process and afterwards.

Thank you for filling in your signature. After looking at it I'm not surprised that you are feeling so unwell. It seems that this year you stopped taking 3 drugs that you had been taking for many years and are in the process of discontinuing the 4th with a very ill-advised method of skipping days which can cause nothing but more trouble.

To avoid all that you are going through right now we recommend tapering by not more than 10 % on your current dose every 30 days. Especially for people like you with a long history of different medication, discontinuations, changing doses, high doses, etc. We always taper one drug at a time.

The first thing I would do is to stop taking Gabapentin every other day. It is very destabilising.

Can you please add the doses of the drugs you stopped taking in 20014 and more importantly at least approximate dates of when you stopped taking them?

I hope we will be able to offer some advice and suggestions on where to go from here once we get this information. 

I'm also afraid that things won't go away and might get worse but I'm very confident that by coming here things wil finally start changing for better for you as they did for me and many other people.

When you have time, browse through the topics on this thread. It's a lot of information but it's extremely valuable. Years of your suffering will start making sense. You will understand why all of that was happening and most importantly, learn how to prevent it from happening again: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

Along with valuable information you will find a lot of friendly support here.

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You're only "defeated" because you've been tapering too fast. You actually can get off these drugs, but you have to do it much more slowly and much more carefully. Otherwise as you have experienced, you end up back on them.

Success is possible, but it's a long-term, marathon effort. (But in my opinion it's better to spend a few years getting off meds successfully, than to be on and off them over and over, forever.)

Reinstating a low dose in order to stabilize so that you can taper properly and successfully is not failure, it's strategy.

Definitely stop skipping days! Gabapentin only stays in your bloodstream for about six hours, so you're going through a CT every other day, which is not something that will make you feel good. 

Read through our materials on tapering and reinstatement. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks guys. I will take gabapentin daily. I started weaning down in about january off all 4 meds. Got down to 37.5mg of effexor in mar/april. Weaned off cyclobenaprine and bachlofen by april. l tried going every other day on effexor but failed. So stayed on 37.5 for awhile. Got to about 400-600 day of gabapentin. Kept weaning until off but had to go back on. Went back up to 400mg stayed there from may to july. Between may and july weaned from 37.5 to zero of effexor by bead counting. This took a long time. Severe nausea the whole time but i was able to keep weaning. Then started gabapentin weaning again in july. This med seems to be the hardest for me to wean of off. Fatigue and suicidal thoughts are horrible. I weaned off two times since july but had to go back up a bit. My symptoms could be a combo of weaning off everything but if I go higher on gaba symptoms go away so it may be all gaba related. I feel like I am weaning so slow. I will go back up to 50 daily then decrease to 25 daily. Im feeling less suicidal today so that's good. Every other day of gabapentin was horrible. Extreme overheating, hypertension, tachycardia, suicidal thoughts were more severe. I weaned or am weaning against medical advice on these 4 meds. She wanted me to take less meds but I guess she wanted me off the narcotics first. When i tried to get her help to wean off gabapentin she actually switched me to lyrica. I took it briefly but switched back to gabapentin as i wanted off these types of meds. Weaning off so many at once probably wasn't the best plan but I was unaware it was a bad idea then.

1997-07/2014 antidepressants prozac, zoloft, paxil, then effexor last few yrs 225mg. Weaned off by bead counting.

2004-2014 gabapentin 3600mg. Currently 50mg every other day. Will hopefully be off soon. Bad withdrawal symptoms: Suicidal thoughts, self harm, depression, anger, agitation, manic episodes, anxiety, panic attacks, fatigue, crying, nausea.

Current meds

Cannabis-dr prescribed

Melatonin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Trouble,

Please read through the link Bubble posted, especially this topic:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
The general philosophy of gradual tapering

Also this:

Tips on tapering Neurontin (gabapentin)

I weaned off two times since july but had to go back up a bit. My symptoms could be a combo of weaning off everything but if I go higher on gaba symptoms go away so it may be all gaba related. I feel like I am weaning so slow. I will go back up to 50 daily then decrease to 25 daily.

You have been tapering too fast, stopping and starting drugs, taking doses on alternate days, all this would have contributed to nervous system destabilization.  A slow taper will not only minimize withdrawal symptoms, it will give you the best chance at getting through the post-withdrawal year or two without having to go back on the drugs.

What you are suggesting is still too fast, this is a 50% cut.  We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.

Please slow down, read the information here and give yourself the chance to become medication free and stay that way.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi! Thanks for giving us more details about your tapering.

I would recommend you stop tapering the gabapentin right now and just hold for a while. You haven't had time for the full impact of all the other stuff you've cut so fast this year to really hit, and you need to be gentle with yourself. After as many years as you've had on meds and as many changes, your brain needs to do some serious work to heal itself. Personally I would consider reinstating a small amount of Effexor, like 2-5 mg, to cushion that withdrawal a bit, because I'm sure it's contributing to your symptoms now and usually with those ADs the worst doesn't hit right away but months later.

If I were the boss of you and I wanted to minimize your WD and maximize your odds of getting through withdrawal and staying off meds, I would reinstate a bit of Effexor and hold the gabapentin right where it is and change nothing else for three months at least, probably longer.

At the very least, definitely hold the gabapentin for a while.

There's a push right now in medicine to get people off narcotics. Me, being the cynic I am, I think it's probably because the pharmaceutical companies don't make any money on those but they can push their fancy expensive new ADs and psych drugs as pain relievers. But anyway your doctor is undoubtedly feeling the pressure. And it sounds like you're on heavy doses. When the time comes, please taper those very carefully and slowly. It's usually easier to get off narcotics than it is to get off ADs and other psych meds, but yours may be covering up some WD symptoms, and you have a complex medical history, so I'd taper the narcotics at 10% same as everything else.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone developed akathesia from withdrawal? how long did it last? what can be used to treat it? im taking chlorpheniramine or benedryl for it which keeps me from appearing completely crazy. if I dont take them I cant sit, pace like crazy and fidget uncontrolably, shake and become hypomanic. cannabis seems to ease it some too. I have a constant inner tension, anxiety, restlessness, have to stay busy, move my legs, but have to avoid people as im easily agitated. everything is too loud. when im still i think about suicide because the feeling of tension is so horrible.I tried baclofen to treat it but got it mixed up with my prednisone and od on it. I rather avoid anymore toxic meds like that after that or going back on gabapentin or effexor. alcohol seems to help but i dont want to drink. im not sure which med caused it. pls tell me it will go away. did u have to go back on medication? any natural treatments to help?

Current meds

Cannabis-dr prescribed

Melatonin

Hey there.

Someone will be along shortly to help you. I'm so sorry you are suffering. And, yes there are people here with very similar symptoms. Hang in there. We are glad you found your way here!

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Trouble,

I merged your new topic with your original introduction thread, its one intro thread per member, you can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Please bookmark it so its easy to find.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this awful symptom, it can sometimes be part of withdrawal syndrome, many members here have experienced it, I had it on and off for a while as part of my early withdrawal.  It does go away in time.

Are you still taking gabapentin?  Please would you update your recent history.  When did the akathisia start?  Once you get back to us with more details about your recent drug history and situation, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Sorry. Having a hard time lately. got some ativan which has helped. I think the akathesia is gone.

I think the baclofen overdose along with 5htp flared it up along with a bit of dxm as i was getting a cold. im not sure. I stopped vit d and 5htp now.

ive had the akathesia for awhile i think. I think effexor originally caused it. I was treated for rls two yrs ago but nothing really worked then it settled.

this time it sort of started about 6-8 weeks after I stopped effexor. I started reducing gabapentin then too. I tried holding, going up then decreasing down. tge akathesia stayed the same. gabapentin withdrawal has been horrendous. just severe depression even with weaning super slow. Its taken about 4 months to get from 100-0.

I was on higher dose originally. my memory is very fuzzy. the last four months has been hell and a blur. memory issues, cant remember if I took my prednisone, or what pills ive taken, hypo manic spells, aggressive driving, crashed my car into a hydro poll, fallen down stairs, constantly hurting myself, cant do basic math when use to be great at it. started drinking for about 6 weeks due to depression over the holidays and the akathesia but finally stopped a few weeks ago. took the baclofen to help with the drinking craving and to help with akathesia. then od on it getting it mixed up with prednisone. that was super embarassing. I vomitted and slept for hours then woke up super manic state as I didn't take any opiods or benedryl to calm me down that day.

they almost were going to keep me in hospital to watch as they thought i was crazy. they wouldnt sedate me or give me pain pills. my mom is a nurse so she was able to get me release me into her care. thankfully they didn't see all the cut marks. I had some cutting issues from the akathesia as I thought I had just gone crazy and it seemed to help. ive stopped now that I understand what is happening to me and I haven't totally lost my mind and it will get better.

im off gabapentin now. been off about 1 week. It feels great to finally be free but the depression is horrible. im feeling better as tge akathesia is better but the depression is horrible. I just started the 5htp as its so bad but I dont want the akathesia to come back. ive been using my zopiclone to help deal with anxiety lately. I need to get off the zopiclone next then the opiods nut need to stabilize from the gabapentin and effexor withdrawal first.

for awhile there I lived on only a couple pieces of toast if that per day but my appetite is better now. im back to eating eggs and smoothies with yogurt berries and flax seeds. I think thats a sign im on the mend. l

Edited by Petu
added paragraphs for readability

Current meds

Cannabis-dr prescribed

Melatonin

• Moderator Emeritus

Its good that the akathisia is gone, I'm happy to hear that.  You probably came off the gabapentin too fast, especially since you hadn't yet stabilized from your previous tapers, as Rhi suggested a couple of months ago:

I would recommend you stop tapering the gabapentin right now and just hold for a while. You haven't had time for the full impact of all the other stuff you've cut so fast this year to really hit, and you need to be gentle with yourself. After as many years as you've had on meds and as many changes, your brain needs to do some serious work to heal itself.

How often are you taking the ativan?  Please would you add this to your signature.  If you are taking this regularly for more than a couple of weeks, you will become dependent on it and it too will need to be tapered.  Its a short acting benzo and can cause interdose withdrawal symptoms, especially in a destabilized nervous system.

I'm glad you are feeling better, please read through the information on this site and learn about proper, safe tapering, you can come off these drugs, but you need to take care of yourself in the process.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I csnt figure out w here my signature is. i have ony 14 ayivan so it will only be a few days worth just enough to to get rid of the horrible anxiety, angry, rage, panic attacks etc ... hopefully. if not im not sure whst im going to do. i feel like im walking along a cliff. im so impulsive. i frighten myself. im trying to stay strong a n d not give in to dark thought or going back on antidepressants. I fep telling myself these feelings are just horrible withdrawal effects all will go away. I reaserching zopiclone withdrawal mow. when should I start that? 1month?

Current meds

Cannabis-dr prescribed

Melatonin

• Moderator Emeritus

Here are instructions for how to do your signature:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

If I were you, I would wait until you have felt well for several months before beginning another taper.  You have been through a lot, you need to give your nervous system time to recover.

Are you still taking 5htp?  There seems to be mixed reactions to it, we have a topic here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/656-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-tryptophan/

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary