compsports: Introduction

compsports

Well, out of desperation, I stupidly bought a supplement for insomnia that worked great initially but now is causing problems and not working.

Anyway, I need to do what I should have done months ago, which is to give up caffeine. It is going to be tough but I have to do it and see if that improves my situation.

Refusing to give it up when having insomnia is like going to the doctor for medication when you continue to engage in habits that are health damaging.

Just so folks know, I am not saying that everyone who takes meds has done anything wrong. But you get my point.

Ironically, I think having insomnia caused me to have cognitive impairment in which I didn't realize how clueless I have been for months.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• compsports

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Healing

Top Posters In This Topic

I sleep better if I have a cup of coffee in the afternoon. It may be that it prevents caffeine withdrawal symptoms during the night(from my morning coffee). But I think the more likely explanation is that it keeps me from getting too relaxed. Getting too relaxed results in sleep apnea, which wakes me up, and coffee prevents this. Deeper relaxation is not always better. It's also possible that coffee has a beneficial effect on neurotransmitters for me. Not everyone can tolerate coffee, but this has been my experience.

• Administrator

Excellent point, Georgia. And this may have been why caffeine has helped cs in the past.

Many of us have found if we get too relaxed, the alerting system paradoxically wakes us up. So arranging for lighter sleep actually works better.

For a long time, I slept better on the couch with the TV going than in my bed for this very reason.

It surely can be difficult to strike that balance -- caffeine certainly isn't going to help everyone, it will keep them awake instead. But cs, for you maybe the benefit of caffeine has passed. Perhaps your alerting system will permit you to relax and sleep more deeply now.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Interestingly, when I woke up this morning, I consumed my usual 2 teaspoons of instant coffee with the intention of only having a little more this morning.

After doing so, I felt extremely wired unlike previous situations. Even eating a piece of cheese didn't help and I had to take a Swanson's stress tab to stop the extreme palpitations.

It seems like giving up coffee might be easier than I think if my body is reacting so strongly to it.

CS

I sleep better if I have a cup of coffee in the afternoon. It may be that it prevents caffeine withdrawal symptoms during the night(from my morning coffee). But I think the more likely explanation is that it keeps me from getting too relaxed. Getting too relaxed results in sleep apnea, which wakes me up, and coffee prevents this. Deeper relaxation is not always better. It's also possible that coffee has a beneficial effect on neurotransmitters for me. Not everyone can tolerate coffee, but this has been my experience.

Perfect example that the one size does not fit all regarding insomnia issues.

CS

• 3 weeks later...

It was a sleep supplement I was taking, Zenbev, that caused me to get extremely wired on little caffeine. Once I stopped the Zenbev, caffeine seems to be having zero effect.

Anyway, until I got sloppy with my habits, I had had several days of decent to good sleep. Unfortunately, it wasn't making a bit of difference regarding my brain fog.

What I mean is that even though I have tasks I need to accomplish and want to get done, I literally stare in space and can't move. Even focusing on task at a time is very difficult.

It doesn't seem to matter what I take supplement wise.

The fish oil capsules definitely help with mood but that is about all they do.

Is this a common WD symptom? I have been off of meds for slightly over a year after taking nearly 4 years to taper 4 drugs. Including the tapering time, I was on meds for nearly 15 years.

I have to admit I am starting to feel very frustrated and scared about what my life is going to be like. I don't mean to be negative but I am really feeling down about this.

Unfortunately, my family doesn't understand so there is no one I can vent to personally.

Thanks for listening.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

Vent away, CS. After years on those drugs your poor brain is rebuilding neural networks as fast as it can. It took two years for my brain to recover from benzo use - I was on Serax, 10mg/day. Not a lot, not a strong benzo, but it took a long time for the racing thoughts and confusion to die down.

I don't know if it will help, but I have found walking beneficial for brain fog. In fact I am becoming something of a walking nut - I think exercise helps EVERYTHING (except the national debt, but that's a different blog). And even if there is no immediate noticable effect on brain fog, if you're outside and moving, you're getting more blood to your brain which is helping the healing process. Moving around more is good for mood too, so maybe it will help with the annoyance and discouragement that comes from wrestling w/d symptoms.

The other thing that has helped to some extent is mindfulness meditation. But definitely your mileage will vary.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Moderator Emeritus

CS - me again. There's a topic here that addresses what I was talking about

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/192-self-directed-neuroplasticity/page__pid__7411#entry7411

I don't know how to do links...but self-directed neuroplasticity is actually just mindfulness meditation.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

*don't remember doses

Started taper in 2007:

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

12 mg Celexa March 2021

Hi CS.

I don't know if the the brain fog and inability to concentrate are due to the insomnia or is part of w/d in general, but many people here have mentioned it.

I have this problem also and, like you, am very down about how this will affect my life. Many people here say it will come back in time, we just have to hang in there. Here's hoping that's true.

Please vent away here! It lets all of us know we're not alone in the rough patches.

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

• Administrator

Problems with concentration are a very common withdrawal syndrome problem.

Yes, the ability to concentrate does come back! Keep on practicing, don't despair. Just accept yourself the way you are and send healing messages to yourself when you get frustrated.

I used to call myself a "three-legged cat" -- not quite up to my old nimbleness.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Vent away, CS. After years on those drugs your poor brain is rebuilding neural networks as fast as it can. It took two years for my brain to recover from benzo use - I was on Serax, 10mg/day. Not a lot, not a strong benzo, but it took a long time for the racing thoughts and confusion to die down.

I don't know if it will help, but I have found walking beneficial for brain fog. In fact I am becoming something of a walking nut - I think exercise helps EVERYTHING (except the national debt, but that's a different blog). And even if there is no immediate noticable effect on brain fog, if you're outside and moving, you're getting more blood to your brain which is helping the healing process. Moving around more is good for mood too, so maybe it will help with the annoyance and discouragement that comes from wrestling w/d symptoms.

The other thing that has helped to some extent is mindfulness meditation. But definitely your mileage will vary.

Hi Baxter,

Thanks!

Unfortunately, extensive walking tires me out big time. But I do walk outside for a brief period just so I can get some necessary sun exposure

One thing I might try is weight lifting to see if that would have an effect.

I am glad you eventually recovered from benzo use.

CS

PS - I will check out the link you provided

Hi CS.

I don't know if the the brain fog and inability to concentrate are due to the insomnia or is part of w/d in general, but many people here have mentioned it.

I have this problem also and, like you, am very down about how this will affect my life. Many people here say it will come back in time, we just have to hang in there. Here's hoping that's true.

Please vent away here! It lets all of us know we're not alone in the rough patches.

Thank Ajay,

I am sorry you are experiencing similar issues.

Speedy healing to all of us.

CS

Problems with concentration are a very common withdrawal syndrome problem.

Yes, the ability to concentrate does come back! Keep on practicing, don't despair. Just accept yourself the way you are and send healing messages to yourself when you get frustrated.

I used to call myself a "three-legged cat" -- not quite up to my old nimbleness.

Hi Alto,

Thanks for letting me know that problems with concentration is common.

It is just hard to be accepting when so much is at stake. But there really isn't a choice.

I like your 3 leg cat analogy.

CS

CS,

Brain fog is one thing for me that has really improved. A year ago I had a hard time with passive mental tasks like reading and a very hard time with active ones, like writing. I still have some cognitive issues -- e.g., I'll type the word 'shoe' when I am intending 'slow' -- but my ability to concentrate is vastly improved.

I can read complex material for 3 or 4x as long as I could. The same for writing.

The only caveat is that I am as sensitive as ever (possibly more so)... sometimes I'll have a wacky reaction and the cog fog will come back temporarily.

So hang in.

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 3 weeks later...

My insomnia problems continue. Unless I drink coffee which obviously, I don't want to do past 9am, I have a hard time staying awake after eating. And that is true even when I keep my carbs low.

If I make it to 8:30pm without falling asleep prematurely, I will sleep around 5 to 6 hours. But I wake up tired and drinking coffee doesn't help. In fact, I will fall asleep which makes the problem worse.

Friday, when I started to get really tired in the afternoon, I knew I had to start standing up and watching TV because when I fall asleep prematurely, then my sleep is even worse. Unfortunately, I felt so drugged that I couldn't stay awake. I ended up sleeping off and on until 10pm and then couldn't fall asleep and was pretty much up the rest of the night.

I did sleep last night but once again, still feel tired.

As an FYI, I don't have health insurance.

Anyway, I feel there are many things I need to investigate but I feel so cognitively impaired, it is hard to focus on anything.

CS

PS - Alex, after being put on Wellbutrin XL in 2004, I developed the exact same issue of typing the wrong word when I meant something else. In spite of being off of meds for over a year, that problem has not disappeared.

• Administrator

cs, this is better than it used to be! And your writing is getting better and better, too.

How about doing something like modified light therapy? Remember that phase shift idea?

Didn't it involve bright light in the afternoon?

cs, this is better than it used to be! And your writing is getting better and better, too.

How about doing something like modified light therapy? Remember that phase shift idea?

Didn't it involve bright light in the afternoon?

Thanks Alto.

I don't mean to discount your compliments but I actually felt very very frustrated with my writing when trying to respond to posts on blogs this morning to the point of tears. I had the worst case of cement brain I have had in months.

Yeah, I do remember the bright light therapy idea. I have held off because I was worried about eye damage.

I had thought about taking supplements that would protect my eyes from damage but after having an adverse reaction to curcumin, I have been leery about doing this. Curcumin had been cited in a NIH study for protecting against sun light damage to the eyes.

I think I have several issues going on and I just have to pick something and start from there. I am going to order a cheap book on sinus survival as I feel blocked sinuses could be contributing to my problems. The Breath Rite strips only partially help.

Thanks Alto, I do greatly appreciate your kindness and support.

CS

PS - Sinus rinse does not help as I feel water gets stuck in my nose and doesn't drain.

CS, I hear you on the sleep mess.

I wish I had answers for us. I feel like I'm on a hamster wheel - if I could get more sleep, maybe I wouldn't have so many issues with anxiety. If I wasn't so anxious, maybe I could get more sleep. It's the feedback loop from hell.

You have mentioned a few things like milk proteins, light boxes, and having a routine... Have you been able to try any of these consistently? On the weekend, can you just give up on staying awake, sleep after breakfast, then try to get up from afternoon until 8:30pm?

Sometimes I wish I could just be chloroformed or something. Though I suppose I'd just wake up again a few hours later.

I wish you rest, CS, with all my heart.

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

• 3 weeks later...

Ajay, thank you for your reply. I apologize for not responding as somehow I overlooked it.

Well, I had had two decent nights of sleep and was on my way to the best night of sleep in weeks. Unfortunately, hurricane Irene had other ideas.

When the power came back on after going out shortly the first time, the sound of the printer turning on woke me up at 1:30am. That figures.

But I may have learned something. In anticipation of the power going off, I was trying to keep my apartment as cold as possible. I am wondering if I slept better because of that.

I know there had been a post about a cooler environment helping with sleep but of course, it didn't register with my brain.

I had also posted about my allergies flaring up big time. It looks like cutting back vitamin D might have contributed to that. When I took close to what I was previously taking which is around 1000 to 1200 IU, I felt so much better.

Anyway, I hope everyone effected by the hurricane is safe and has not suffered any property damages or loss of power. I don't want to get too cocky but so far so good.

CS

• Administrator

Good to hear you weathered the storm, cs. And signs your sleep is improving.

I've always found I sleep better when my bedroom is cooler.

Good to hear you weathered the storm, cs. And signs your sleep is improving.

I've always found I sleep better when my bedroom is cooler.

Thanks Alto.

That would be something if it took a hurricane for me to discover the answer to my insomnia. Stay tuned.

By the way, I am amazed at how many posts you take the time to respond to. You truly are awesome.

CS

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, my sleeping problems have greatly worsened where I extremely non functional. I am trying to make plans to deal with this problem and I can't even focus on the necessary steps.

I was hopeful last night when I didn't feel drugged after eating dinner for the first time in months. I was able to actually fall asleep around 9pm instead of struggling to stay awake until 8pm.

But in typical fashion, I woke up after an hour and a half and then got back to sleep for about 4 hours. The constant segmented sleep has caused extreme deterioration in my functioning.

I am wondering if I am dealing with something else besides withdrawal issues as my sinuses are constantly clogged up. I am considering consulting with an ENT (have 3 people in mind) to see what is going on.

Breathing rite strips and nose cones don't seem to help.

I don't have health insurance which is a whole other post.

I am extremely down about the situation and need some encouragement.

CS

PS - Yesterday,I got plenty of exercise and sunlight exposure as an FYI

Hi CS.

I'm thinking of you and trying to send bright thoughts.

More later, just wanted to get at least that much in.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey, CS,

Sorry to hear that your sleep is deteriorating. Sending you good vibes.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

*don't remember doses

Started taper in 2007:

12 mg Celexa March 2021

Thanks AJ and Baxter.

I slept last night but of course, since this has been an every other type of day situation, I am worried I am going to have problems tonight which I realize isn't helping my situation.

It takes a real toll as we all know with lack of sleep. Whoever said that lack of sleep doesn't hurt is full of it.

I am going to look for a pillow that might help with the sinus congestion. I have read that sleeping on the side helps considerably.

Another option is to find a wedge pillow that would elevate my body and enable me to continue sleeping on my back.

If this doesn't help, then I guess the next step is to see an ENT.

CS

Hi CS,

I know there's tons of tips here on sleep. Even though I'm curious about your current routine (which you can share if you have the time/energy) I realize that a person can do everything for weeks on end and it still won't bring consistent sleep.

I honestly thing the insomnia is the worst withdrawal effect, because it exacerbates everything else.

on ramps and wedges: My husband has tried a bunch of different orthopedic pillows over the years. Right now, his favorite thing is one of those awful "husband pillows" like this. [why are they always corduroy?] He got it at Target for about $20, which is significantly cheaper than some of the other stuff he's tried.

Other ideas: if the congestion is worse at night, have you thought about allergies? I've heard people swear by neti pots. It can be expensive to go down that path (air purifiers in the bedroom, machine washable duvets, etc) but maybe even vacuuming and changing the sheets more often could help. Granted, in my current state, vacuuming the bedroom and changing the sheets would be my accomplishment for the day.

As for me, I go in phases - try everything under the sun and track it all, give up. Right now I'm in the "give up" phase.

I absolutely hate the feeling I get when I'm coming unhinged and I'm sure I could keep it together if I could only get some sleep. It's horrible. you have my sympathies. I wish you rest.

• Administrator

That was my question, too -- cs, are you waking up because your nose is clogged?

Saline rinses are supposed to be good for this, too.

Hi Ajay,

Well, I bought one of those wedge pillows and woke after an hour and a half with less congestion. I did get back to sleep for about 3 hours but needless to say, that isn't great.

Interestingly, an ENT, Steven Park, had said that eating before bedtime can worsen congestion. It looks like he was right in my case as I didn't. But when I woke up, I was quite hungry and ate a banana. It is so frustrating as it is dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

I have tried nasal rinses but I think due to having a deviated septum, they don't work. Anyway, I don't feel like I get good drainage.

Yesterday, it was not sunny but I don't think that would have made a difference. In the afternoon, I ran alot of errands and got alot of exercise. I didn't take any naps.

I consume all my coffee before 8am. I drink instant with a total of 6 teaspoons that are small.

CS

Hi CS,

I know there's tons of tips here on sleep. Even though I'm curious about your current routine (which you can share if you have the time/energy) I realize that a person can do everything for weeks on end and it still won't bring consistent sleep.

I honestly thing the insomnia is the worst withdrawal effect, because it exacerbates everything else.

on ramps and wedges: My husband has tried a bunch of different orthopedic pillows over the years. Right now, his favorite thing is one of those awful "husband pillows" like this. [why are they always corduroy?] He got it at Target for about $20, which is significantly cheaper than some of the other stuff he's tried.

Other ideas: if the congestion is worse at night, have you thought about allergies? I've heard people swear by neti pots. It can be expensive to go down that path (air purifiers in the bedroom, machine washable duvets, etc) but maybe even vacuuming and changing the sheets more often could help. Granted, in my current state, vacuuming the bedroom and changing the sheets would be my accomplishment for the day.

As for me, I go in phases - try everything under the sun and track it all, give up. Right now I'm in the "give up" phase.

I absolutely hate the feeling I get when I'm coming unhinged and I'm sure I could keep it together if I could only get some sleep. It's horrible. you have my sympathies. I wish you rest.

That was my question, too -- cs, are you waking up because your nose is clogged?

Saline rinses are supposed to be good for this, too.

Well, my sinuses were less congested last night and I still woke up after about 1.5 hours sleep.

I have tried rinses in the past but don't feel I get good drainage possibly due to a deviated septum.

CS

hi CS,

with my nocturia, dry mouth and eyes(since w/D) i woke each hour to pee, after meds our sleep cycle is broken, i have a chronic sinus left all year,

until today i make this: after trying to sleep official regular hours;

i adapt on the broken cycle and sleep a little each hour often in the morning(at boards i read testimonies other people sleep since withdrawal in the morning

if it can help you to find a solution

bye

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

I am plagued with sneezing and congestion at the moment and its not a cold because it can clear as quick as it starts. Another symptom maybe?????

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

hi CS,

with my nocturia, dry mouth and eyes(since w/D) i woke each hour to pee, after meds our sleep cycle is broken, i have a chronic sinus left all year,

until today i make this: after trying to sleep official regular hours;

i adapt on the broken cycle and sleep a little each hour often in the morning(at boards i read testimonies other people sleep since withdrawal in the morning

if it can help you to find a solution

bye

Hi Stan,

Thanks!

I seem to feel worse when I take naps.

CS

I am plagued with sneezing and congestion at the moment and its not a cold because it can clear as quick as it starts. Another symptom maybe?????

Thanks Squirrel.

No, I have had it for as long as I can remember.

I have a vague memory of my internist giving me some nasal spray and feeling like that was the best night of sleep I had had in ages. Unfortunately, when I tried some flonase my ENT had given a few years ago, it didn't work.

Various other non med nasal sprays are marginal at best.

An internist I had considered going to back in 2007 had suggested that I have a nasal endoscopy as he felt there was there was alot of stuff there. I know I am not quoting him exactly right but obviously, he picked up something.

CS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last week, I had my best night of sleep in months. As I mentioned in the thread on sinus congestion, some nasal spray I purchased worked wonders. Unfortunately, it seems to have stopped working which I am not sure can totally be blamed on the product. Hard to say.

I am still struggling to stay awake past 7pm. On Monday night, I was determined that I had to stay awake longer. Unfortunately, my body said otherwise and I ended up with horrible sleep by falling asleep prematurely.

So I have decided that if I want to fall asleep prematurely, I will set the alarm for 5 minutes. Yesterday, that strategy enabled me stay awake until 8pm. But I still only slept 4 hours and feel lousy.

I woke up with nasal congestion and think that perhaps adding back cheese might have contributed to that. So it is eliminated again.

I think my sleep issues are complex. The nasal congestion is a factor.

I also need to figure out a way to delay my bedtime. I may try going to the library after dinner and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I will experiment with taking a microdose of melatonin in the early am to see if that might do something.

I realize light therapy could be helpful but I am reluctant to try it due to having a family history of cataracts and macular degeneration. I would be open to doing it under medical supervision but that is another subject.

I am so tired of this as I feel like my life is on hold. But as mentioned in Maybe's thread, this is my new normal and I guess I have to get used to it. It is tough when you have a day like I did on Saturday that tells me what life is like when I get good quality sleep. Getting things done was no effort at all and it was like a new world was opened up to me. Now I feel it is closed again and that is so unfair.

CS

• Administrator

A sleep doctor just prescribed 5 minutes of light therapy upon waking in the morning to someone I know with withdrawal syndrome and too-early bedtime.

Her nervous system was too sensitive for this but it might be just right for you, cs. I'll ask her what light box she got.

A sleep doctor just prescribed 5 minutes of light therapy upon waking in the morning to someone I know with withdrawal syndrome and too-early bedtime.

Her nervous system was too sensitive for this but it might be just right for you, cs. I'll ask her what light box she got.

Thanks Alto.

I am really feeling desperate as I can barely complete any necessary tasks.

CS