compsports: Introduction

compsports

So it's not a fluke that I felt I slept better after taking Vit D (Q)

For you no, but perhaps for me, yes. By the way, I am glad to hear that is helping you.

Didn't sleep as well tonight and I kept supplement use to the minimal other than my usual vitamin D dose. Only drank half of my usual caffeine dose. Felt my usual sleepingness after dinner and had my usual struggle not to fall asleep.

When I initially went to sleep, all of a sudden, I felt awakened. Ate apple which did the trick in getting me to sleep. But the quality was lousy.

In doing a google search, I didn't come across solid evidence but it appears that people can have occasional apnea. So if my case is mild, perhaps that is what is going on? If it is moderate to severe, probably not.

Questions to ask the doctor when I get my results.

CS

PS - It is too darn bad one can't get a sleep study over several days. But unfortunately, that is fantasy land.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• compsports

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Healing

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - It is too darn bad one can't get a sleep study over several days. But unfortunately, that is fantasy land.

Along with the recovery spa of our dreams and the House-like open-minded dedicated doctor who will get to the bottom of all our troubles. *Sigh*

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updating but alot has happened. It turned out I have a moderate case of sleep apnea.

For various reasons, I didn't start cpap treatment until yesterday. Well, actually, the night before but due to operator error, my machine was too loud and was not usable. Fortunately, the kind company that I bought it from gently showed me the mistake I had made that was causing the noise. Now, it is very quiet.

Even though I had lots of broken sleep probably more due to my messed up sleep cycle than getting used to the machine, this has been a productive day. Got some cleaning done and just came in from taking a very long walk. Still tired from all the sleep deprivation but am very optimistic that things are going to go well.

CS

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, since the last time I posted, CPAP treatment has gone horribly. After that initial day in which I was optimistic, my sleep continued to be severely fragmented to the point where I had to take a break of 3 days from the machine.

It had gotten to the point where sleeping off the machine was a better option which was proven when I was able to run some errands I hadn't been able to do previously. Please don't misunderstand as I know I need the machine long term as it is clear from the computer reports that I do have apnea. But sometimes, you have to step outside the box to do what is necessary in the moment to keep your sanity.

Initially, I thought mask leaks were the culprit. But this was happening even when they weren't.

Thoughts as to why this could be happening which I will run by my doctor.

Hypersensitivity from years of psych med use is an issue in adjusting to cpap treatment. I am wondering if just like some folks have to start at microdoses of meds and adjust upwards, if this might be the case for hypersensitive folks starting cpap treatment.

Apparently, there are folks that have a sleep breathing disorder called upper airway respiratory syndrome who are very sensitive and don't do as well on cpap treatment. Interestingly, on my computer printouts, I am seeing mostly hypopneas, which seem similar to UARS. In English, that means the airway is partially and not totally obstructed.

My 2nd thought is that never having developed any type of good sleep cycle after getting off of psych meds, that this is interfering with CPAP treatment. I will ask my doctor about starting light therapy and/or melatonin. I can't see why this would be an issue but due to brain fog, I want to make sure that I am not missing something.

Going through this has essentially caused me to experience what feels like withdrawal all over again with the sleep issues and dealing with the negative thoughts that come from lack of sleep. I know things should eventually improve but the wait is so exhausting.

The biggest issue I worry about are the cognitive issues. I will spare the details because it is too painful to mention them but let's just say I am concerned.

I am going to start cranking up my use of coconut oil as I feel that can help with cognitive issues. I really would like to do a Paleo type diet but it so hard to do when feeling sleep deprived all the time. My carb cravings have greatly worsened which hopefully consuming coconut oil will help.

Sorry for not actively participating on the board. I do read posts every day and am so sorry for everyone's suffering.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CS, I'm sorry you're having it rough now. My heart aches for each one on this forum. I understand how you feel about not participating much. I can't tell you how many times I've keyed a post, only to delete it before adding it to a thread.

I do believe we all share a certain love for one another here ( I know I do ). That's what makes this forum 'special' to me. I can feel the love, plus Alto and the moderators are so knowledgeable. So, you take care and know that we are pulling for you.

Sincerely,

Tezza

{{{{HUGS}}}} CS

Tezza, I do the same thing....type a post-- delete. Thanks for mentioning that. :-)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Tezza and Barb,

Thanks!

Tezza, I just glanced at your thread and man, tapering off of Risperdal. God, I couldn't imagine going through that.

Barb, it sounds like you need some hugs also and are going through med hell that sounds awful.

Well, I just woke up from a nap and am feeling pretty good so hopefully, this is a sign of things to come. I even had the presence of mind when my dollar didn't work in the candy bar machine to unplug and then reconnect it to see if that would help. Not only did it help but another dollar came out of the machine:) No, I don't feel guilty as that machine has ripped me off so many times.

Oh, I did say I have strong carb cravings, right:)?

CS

Candy and slot machine in one!! Yup--gotta go with the small gifts that come our way. :-)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi CS, I'm sorry you're having it rough now. My heart aches for each one on this forum. I understand how you feel about not participating much. I can't tell you how many times I've keyed a post, only to delete it before adding it to a thread.

I do believe we all share a certain love for one another here ( I know I do ). That's what makes this forum 'special' to me. I can feel the love, plus Alto and the moderators are so knowledgeable. So, you take care and know that we are pulling for you.

Sincerely,

Tezza

Tezza,

I really couldn't have put it better myself.

My heart goes out to all of us here...such a beautiful bunch of people.

CS, I hope you find some relief soon.

Lotty

xxxxx

Paxil 20mg 1995 for panic disorder/anxiety.

3 attempts to w/d c/t. Horrific w/d hit after 1 month each time. Straight back to 20mg.

2003-2007: 30mg.

30mg to 20mg slowly over 2007.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Jan 2009) - big problems, back up to 20mg (pill) immediately. Recovered slowly.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Dec to Feb 2010) - suicidal. Back to 20mg May 2010, could not stabilise.

Dec 2010 to 31/01/2012: 20mg~9.6mg in tiny drops.

21/02/12~9.0

08/03/12~8.4

22/03/12~7.9

12/04/12~7.5

03/05/12~7.1

24/05/12~6.7

14/06/12~6.3

05/07/12~6.0

26/07/12~5.7

17/08/12~5.5

ALSO ON 1MG XANAX

Sincerely,

Tezza

Tezza,

I really couldn't have put it better myself.

My heart goes out to all of us here...such a beautiful bunch of people.

CS, I hope you find some relief soon.

Lotty

xxxxx

Thanks Lotty. I see the doctor this morning and for various reasons, fear the "M" word will be mentioned. I will politely insist that it isn't an option.

Anyway, due to not having good experiences with doctors previously, I am a little nervous about the appointment. But I have written down my concerns so hopefully, that will direct the conversation and keep things on track.

I keep you all posted and I greatly appreciate your support.

CS

Unfortunately, the visit with the sleep doctor went horribly and yes, the "m" word was mentioned and so was the "P" word. If you want more details, pm me.

I am too upset to even say anything more. And I fear if I do, it will not come across very well.

I really need some encouragement and support.

The good new is I obtained Barry Krakows sleep book and I think it is going to be very helpful. He seems to be the only sleep professional who treats people with insomnia as intelligent human beings and not like children.

In quickly glancing at it, I realized I have developed so many bad habits from being on psych meds and then getting off of them that it is no wonder I am having problems. Anyway, it is time to get to work.

CS

• Administrator

Unfortunately, the visit with the sleep doctor went horribly and yes, the "m" word was mentioned and so was the "P" word.

To which I hope you replied the f--- and y-- words!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Unfortunately, the visit with the sleep doctor went horribly and yes, the "m" word was mentioned and so was the "P" word.

To which I hope you replied the f--- and y-- words!

Alto,

Thank you so much for a great laugh.

God, what I wish I could have said.

CS

Well, thanks to the advice in the Krakow book, Sound Mind, Sound Sleep, I slept the most I have slept in months. I am not supposed to count hours by the way but old habits die hard obviously.

I still have alot of work to do but I now know that I am going to overcome this.

Unfortunately, I am still having trouble adjusting to the machine and I took the mask off after an hour and slept the rest of the way without it. But I have no choice but to figure it out since I definitely need to use it.

And to think that a doctor predicted I would fail without meds. I guess in a way, I should be thanking her because when someone doubts me, I take it personally and so whatever is necessary to prove them wrong.

I know I need to move forward but I am mad a hell because how many people are medicated to oblivion when it just requires a willingness to be open minded and listen to the patient.

Rant over.

CS

• Administrator

Good news, cs. Which tricks in the Krakow book worked for you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Good news, cs. Which tricks in the Krakow book worked for you?

Thanks Alto, so far, this is what I have gotten out my limited reading.

1. Emotionally process all lingering issues before going to bed. Dr. Krakow's theory is when you don't do this, it can contribute to all type of insomnia. Basically, you list all the lingering issues and then ask yourself if there is anything you can about them at that point. If there is and it won't take long, do it. If not, remind yourself that nothing can be done until tomorrow and you need to remind yourself that the day is done and it is time to come to a close.

I found myself able to do this as I used pacing to keep myself awake after dinner. It sounds boring but actually, I found it very calming. Every time I started to get upset about an issue, I reminded myself by downward hand movements that the issue was done for now and I needed to think calming thoughts.

2. Do not watch the clock. I had a lightbulb moment yesterday when after dinner, I started feeling anxiety about being able to not fall asleep and stay awake until my designated bedtime I had set which was 8:30pm. All of a sudden, it occurred to me that I needed to cover the clock and it worked beautifully. As I knew it was getting closer to my designated bedtime, I watched the computer clock which wasn't anxiety producing. Maybe it is all that light, I don't know.

I know I woke up several times but I got back to sleep. I am still not sure what you are supposed to do when you're darned sure you have slept enough but maybe if I can follow the rule 90% of the time and it doesn't interfere with my sleep, I am doing good.

3. If you can't fall asleep, it is because you don't want to. That sounds kind of harsh but it isn't meant to be. Essentially, Dr. Krakow is saying you have no control over what your body wants to do.

I found that very liberating and it helped me deal with the anxiety I have had about wondering if I was ever going to sleep again. Intellectually, I knew that worrying about it was not doing me any good but then there is reality.

Dr. Krakow put in terms I could understand and thus was able to relax more about it.

The other rules I followed are not Krakow rules such as no naps and no caffeine after early morning. I also turned the computer off before going to bed so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat.

Also I am hoping that when I get the lightbox and start using it, it won't be as much of a struggle to stay wake after dinner. But of course, I will have to still remember to process the issues for the day. I really think that is one of the most important concepts that all the sleep experts are missing.

Time to do some more work and see what else I can learn.

CS

Got the lightbox which I feel is going to make a huge difference. Was very cautious yesterday and only used it for a few minutes at a low setting.

That is why I still went to bed very early and woke up early although I feel I got enough sleep. Now that I know I have this item, the pressure I feel about staying awake after dinner is gone because I feel this will reset my body clock and give me energy.

Also, this may a placebo effect but I feel using the light has definitely improved my mood. Or maybe because I now feel I have a game plan going forward, I feel good about things.

CS

• Administrator

Yay! Feeling like you have some control over your situation is empowering. Keep on fighting, cs.

Yay! Feeling like you have some control over your situation is empowering. Keep on fighting, cs.

Thanks Alto.

Unfortunately, I think the picture may be more complex. In spite of using the light therapy lamp alot more than I did the previous night (not excessively), I still got the drugged feeling I have previously described that causes me to fall asleep prematurely without any warning which occurred again yesterday.

Next step is to buy a glucose meter to test blood sugar to see what is going on. Yes, I complained about this to the doctor and of course was blown off. To say I am pissed is an understatement. I obviously got the wrong bleeping referral.

Still, I am not discouraged at all as I still feel the lamp has helped mood wise. I had an evilish grin as I was breaking all the rules last night. Heck, I know from previous experience when I am done sleeping so no need to prolong the agony in my humble opinion.

I got a little further in the Krakow book in which he suggests that using imagery can be as powerful as sleeping pills. As one who has never been strong in this area, it actually worked when I woke up the first time. Unfortunately, it didn't work the 2nd time even when I felt I had given it a fair shot. But I followed Dr. Krakow's advice to get up and have fun which I definitely did.

CS

• 9 months later...

Wow, I didn't realize it had been nearly a year since I last posted. Before I update my situation, a merry Christmas to those who celebrate.

Anyway, due to experimenting with several apap pressure settings, I finally found one that enables me to stay asleep on the machine for 4 hours. Previously, I was lucky if I stayed asleep on the machine for 1.5 hours.

Now, I have to figure out how to increase the time which I think will involve improving my sleep hygiene. Unfortunately, due to the constant sleep deprivation, I find it hard not to take naps. But I think somehow, I need to avoid them in order to build up a bigger sleep drive.

I also continue to have a very hard time staying awake after dinner in spite of lowering my carbohydrates. Many times, I have succumbed to the overwhelming urge to fall asleep which I know is hurting me regarding being able to stay asleep later when I got to bed for good. But even when I have managed to stay awake after dinner, I am still only sleeping 4 hours on the machine.

My current sleep doctor felt that would improve once I slept alot more on the machine. But the dilemma is how to get out of the viscous cycle?

One night, I tried driving to the library after dinner. But when I started feeling like I was going to crash any minute, I decided to drive home because obviously, I didn't want to fall asleep while driving.

I have considered fasting after lunch. But I always give in to extreme hunger pains when I previously tried to do it. Anyway, I have to figure out something.

Obviously, this is very frustrating to say the least as I feel this has greatly impacted and limited my life. After initially thinking this was no longer an issue, I do wonder if rebound insomnia is still at play. I did taper slowly but I am beginning to think that being on these meds for 15 years literally destroyed my sleep structure and it will take time to improve.. And of course, having undiagnosed apnea certainly didn't help.

By the way, based on conversations with long time friends, I feel I have had apnea for a very long time. They said I used to fall sleep constantly in classes even though I feel I slept enough hours. There is no doubt in my mind that taking psych meds greatly worsened it. Of course, my chances of getting doctors to believe that are as great my becoming a millionaire.

Anyway, I didn't expect to be struggling so much sleep wise after 2.5 years but I guess I need to be more patient. It is hard when I feel like life is passing me by due to not being able to fully participate due to being so exhausted.

I know people say you need to live your life not matter what. Ok, that sounds great but how can you do that being so exhausted and barely being able to function? And I don't want to be driving when it isn't safe to do so.

The other issue I am dealing with is family members who think I should go back on meds. If I really thought they worked, I would do it and take the risk of side effects. But I don't think they do.

And by the way, I feel the same way about OTC supplements. It seems like they go south on me pretty quickly.

Of course, if I had Alto's doctor, who understands how all of them work on the sleep cycle, I would take them.

Speaking of doctors, just like with psychiatrists, I feel I am on my own with the pap treatment. If it weren't for the apnea board, I would be in big trouble. I guess this is true for alot of medical conditions as patients seem to know alot more than doctors.

Anyway, for those of us who are struggling, may we all have better years.

CS

• Administrator

Good healing in the new year to you, too, cs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Comp sports

I can only empathize with you in terms of the sleep issues. I think my long term use of remeron has really impacted on my capacity for normal sleep.

I go to be about 10.30. Get to sleep at about 11 and wake up at 2.30. Usually that's it for the night

This has improved a bit of late. I have been taking magnesium, taurine and arginine.

I don't know what I can recommend about staying awake other than maybe take a walk after lunch or dinner

Hope it turns around for you soon. Sleep deprivation is torture

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Comp sports

I can only empathize with you in terms of the sleep issues. I think my long term use of remeron has really impacted on my capacity for normal sleep.

I go to be about 10.30. Get to sleep at about 11 and wake up at 2.30. Usually that's it for the night

This has improved a bit of late. I have been taking magnesium, taurine and arginine.

I don't know what I can recommend about staying awake other than maybe take a walk after lunch or dinner

Hope it turns around for you soon. Sleep deprivation is torture

Dalsaan

Thanks Dalsaan and Alto.

Dalsaan, I really hope we aren't doomed by being on Remeron and that it is a matter of time before things normalize. I just find it too depressing to think any differently.

I am glad the magnesium, taurine, and arginine are helping and hope your luck continues. Sleeping for three and a half hours must be horrible.

I think if I feel like I am going to fall asleep after dinner, I will try seeing if exercising on the treadmill in the apartment exercise room helps. Unfortunately, walking outside is not an option due to bad weather and it being dark.

And if that doesn't work, then I probably have to hold off eating anything until a light snack right before bedtime. That will be tough and hopefully will be an option I don't have to entertain. But I may have no choice.

CS

CS,

Is your sleep apnea CENTRAL or OBSTRUCTIVE? I'm assuming it's central, but wondered if they are treated differently.

B

• Administrator

Hi CS

Have you had your thyroid checked? Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I would find that I would fall asleep driving ... it was so bad that I literally slapped myself to keep myself awake until I could get home safely.

I realize that your bigger problem is that you are unable to get more than 4 hours of sleep, but I'm just thinking that if your thyroid is off it might contribute to insomnia and also raging drowsiness at odd times. Just something else to look in to.

Love and light,

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Hi CS

Have you had your thyroid checked? Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I would find that I would fall asleep driving ... it was so bad that I literally slapped myself to keep myself awake until I could get home safely.

I realize that your bigger problem is that you are unable to get more than 4 hours of sleep, but I'm just thinking that if your thyroid is off it might contribute to insomnia and also raging drowsiness at odd times. Just something else to look in to.

Love and light,

Thanks Karma, that is a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't have health insurance so I am going to research to see if I can order specific tests like one can do with vitamin D.

Barb, I have obstructive apnea. Folks who have central or mixed (combination of central and obstructive) are usually treated with an ASV machine. It provides the pressure of a regular cpap/apap provides also administers breathing support when people have central apnea episodes.

And for those folks not familiar with central apnea, it means you stop breathing momentarily due to a faulty brain signal vs. obstructive apnea which is a breathing pause due to the airway in the throat momentarily closing.

CS

• 2 weeks later...

I really need some encouragement as this is about as low as I have felt in quite awhile.

After seeing improvement in my sleep on Saturday from intense outdoor exercise, I continued doing it yesterday. And even inside, I got quite bit of exercise during commercials when I was watching the NFL playoffs.

This worked so well that I didn't have my usual problems in falling asleep after dinner like I normally do. I did nod off briefly while watching TV in the afternoon but I don't think it was for long.

Anyway, I went to bed at 9:30pm. I wasn't expecting to sleep through the night, I mean I do try to be realistic. But I was hoping for at least 4 hours on the apap machine. I got a bleeping 3 hours and could not get back to sleep.

I am so exhausted and tired of not being able to function and having my life on hold.. I mean damm, I am working hard to be proactive and I feel I keep getting punched in the face with no rewards.

I know catastrophic thinking isn't helpful but I worry greatly that being meds long term has destroyed my sleep cycle making it impossible for me to every sleep without some type of aid.

Since one member from the other board has had great success with inositol, I am going to give that a shot and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I don't know what I will do but I can't keep functioning on 3 hours of sleep per night waiting to see if my sleep cycle returns.

A big fat sigh! :(

CS

• Administrator

Don't give up on the exercise. Sounds like it made a window for you.

• 1 month later...

I had a rough nite of non-sleep last night. I don't know how you do this on a regular and prolonged basis, CS. There's no way i could function safely if i had to go somewhere.

You are strong.

I had a rough nite of non-sleep last night. I don't know how you do this on a regular and prolonged basis, CS. There's no way i could function safely if i had to go somewhere.

You are strong.

Thanks Barb, it is very tough.

I guess I fear that if I succumb to everything, I will go down a place I don't want to go.

What is really mind blowing is on Monday night, I hadn't taken any naps and was exhausted from lack of sleep. I lasted 4 bleeping hours on the machine with one wakeup that was totally unrefreshing.

I can't prove it but I feel that being on psych meds long term has made me intolerable of the treatment I need to live a healthy life.

Thanks Karma, that is a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't have health insurance so I am going to research to see if I can order specific tests like one can do with vitamin D.

UNless you live in a few states where overlords prohibit it, you can order tests through directlabs.com ... I think a D is $60 or so.

This months special is the CardioPlus for $29.

CardioPlus Includes

Glucose

Blood sugar level, the most direct single test to uncover diabetes, may be used not only to identify diabetes, but also to evaluate how one controls the disease.

Kidney

Uric Acid—A by-product of protein metabolism eliminated through the kidneys. Uric acid is an indicator of kidney function.

Bun (Urea Nitrogen)—Another by-product of protein metabolism eliminated through the kidneys. BUN is an indicator of kidney function.

Creatinine, Serum—An indicator of kidney function

Bun/Creatinine Ratio—Calculated by dividing the BUN by the Creatinine

Fluids & Electrolytes

Sodium—One of the major salts in the body fluid, sodium is important in the body's water balance and the electrical activity of nerves and muscles.

Potassium—Helps to control the nerves and muscles

Chloride—Similar to sodium, it helps to maintain the body's electrolyte balance

Minerals and Bone

Calcium—A mineral essential for development and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. It is important also for the normal function of muscles, nerves and blood clotting.

Phosphorous—Together with calcium, it is essential for healthy development of bones and teeth. Associated with hormone imbalance, bone disease and kidney disease. It is found mainly in bones and teeth. NOTE: a temporary drop in phosphorus level can be seen after a meal.

Iron, Serum—An abnormally low test result may indicate iron deficiency anemia.

Liver

Protein, Total—Together with albumin, it is a measure of the state of nutrition in the body.

Albumin—Serum one of the major proteins in the blood and a reflection of the general state of nutrition

Globulin, Total—A major group of proteins in the blood comprising the infection fighting antibodies

Albumin/Globulin Ratio—Calculated by dividing the albumin by the globulin

Bilirubin, Total—A chemical involved with liver functions. High concentrations may result in jaundice.

Alkaline Phosphatase—A body protein important in diagnosing proper bone and liver functions

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH)—An enzyme found mostly in the heart, muscles, liver, kidney, brain, and red blood cells. When an organ of the body is damaged, LDH is released in greater quantity into the blood stream.

Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST or SGOT)—an enzyme found in skeletal and heart muscle, liver and other organs. Abnormalities may represent liver disease.

Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT or SGPT)—an enzyme found primarily in the liver. Abnormalities may represent liver disease.

GGT—Also known as Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, GGTP Formal name: Gamma-glutamyl transferase helps to detect liver and bile duct injury. Some doctors use it in all people they suspect of having liver disease, others use it only to help explain the cause of other changes or if they suspect alcohol abuse.

Lipids

Cholesterol, Total—A sterol in the blood. Knowing your cholesterol may be as important as knowing your blood pressure. Elevated cholesterol is associated with an increasing risk of coronary heart disease.

HDL—Cholesterol High-density lipoproteins are believed to take cholesterol away from cells and transport it back to the liver for processing or removal. They have become known as the "good" cholesterol as persons with high levels of HDL may have less heart disease. Low HDL could be the result of smoking and lack of exercise.

VLDL—Very Low Density Lipoprotein (VLDL) is one of three major lipoprotein particles. The other two are high density lipoprotein (HDL) and low density lipoprotein (LDL). Each one of these particles contains a mixture of cholesterol, protein, and triglycerides, but in varying amounts unique to each type of particle.

LDL—Cholesterol Low-density lipoproteins contain the greatest percentage of cholesterol and may be responsible for depositing cholesterol on the artery walls. For that reason, they are known as the "bad" cholesterol.

Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio—Calculated by dividing the total cholesterol by the HDL cholesterol. Ratio used by physicians in determining your relative risk for developing cardiovascular disease.

Triglycerides—Triglycerides are fat in the blood responsible for providing energy to the cells of the body. Triglycerides should be less than 400 mg/dl even in a non-fasting state.

Labwork like this would cost $200+ via a doctor's office.

You can find thyroid tests as well.

The Thyroid Panel, Special runs $89 and will get your FT3, FT4 and TSH. If TSH is high or T3 low, then perhaps seeing a doctor about thyroid antibodies would be the next step. Or asking about an iodine measure. I really like directlabs, they've allowed me to confidentially direct my own care while saving money at the same time.

Best,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Alex,

Thank you for mentioning the lab tests. And I am sorry I didn't respond sooner by the way.

I have decided that my difficulties in staying asleep after dinner are most likely due to the untreated apnea and unfortunately, it gets to be a viscous cycle. I simply have to find an activity that keeps me out of the condo until I return in the early evening or I am going to have to not eat anything until near bedtime and make sure it isn't something that will cause nasal congestion and prevent my using the machine.

Interestingly, when I had one of those "you're not going to believe it moments" last Saturday and felt completely awakened (too long to explain), I didn't feel comatose after dinner and had some great energy for awhile. I still felt sleepy normally like I usually do but it was such a different experience.

Unfortunately, I was unable to replicate what I did when I took the quick nap that led to that so I must have simply hit my pillow in a certain way that led to that feeling of energy with using a neck collar and strap for my chin that kept my jaw in place to prevent apneas. Definitely not a placebo effect as I was not expecting that.

UNless you live in a few states where overlords prohibit it, you can order tests through directlabs.com ... I think a D is $60 or so.

This months special is the CardioPlus for $29.

CardioPlus Includes

Glucose

Blood sugar level, the most direct single test to uncover diabetes, may be used not only to identify diabetes, but also to evaluate how one controls the disease.

Kidney

Uric Acid—A by-product of protein metabolism eliminated through the kidneys. Uric acid is an indicator of kidney function.

Bun (Urea Nitrogen)—Another by-product of protein metabolism eliminated through the kidneys. BUN is an indicator of kidney function.

Creatinine, Serum—An indicator of kidney function

Bun/Creatinine Ratio—Calculated by dividing the BUN by the Creatinine

Fluids & Electrolytes

Sodium—One of the major salts in the body fluid, sodium is important in the body's water balance and the electrical activity of nerves and muscles.

Potassium—Helps to control the nerves and muscles

Chloride—Similar to sodium, it helps to maintain the body's electrolyte balance

Minerals and Bone

Calcium—A mineral essential for development and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. It is important also for the normal function of muscles, nerves and blood clotting.

Phosphorous—Together with calcium, it is essential for healthy development of bones and teeth. Associated with hormone imbalance, bone disease and kidney disease. It is found mainly in bones and teeth. NOTE: a temporary drop in phosphorus level can be seen after a meal.

Iron, Serum—An abnormally low test result may indicate iron deficiency anemia.

Liver

Protein, Total—Together with albumin, it is a measure of the state of nutrition in the body.

Albumin—Serum one of the major proteins in the blood and a reflection of the general state of nutrition

Globulin, Total—A major group of proteins in the blood comprising the infection fighting antibodies

Albumin/Globulin Ratio—Calculated by dividing the albumin by the globulin

Bilirubin, Total—A chemical involved with liver functions. High concentrations may result in jaundice.

Alkaline Phosphatase—A body protein important in diagnosing proper bone and liver functions

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH)—An enzyme found mostly in the heart, muscles, liver, kidney, brain, and red blood cells. When an organ of the body is damaged, LDH is released in greater quantity into the blood stream.

Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST or SGOT)—an enzyme found in skeletal and heart muscle, liver and other organs. Abnormalities may represent liver disease.

Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT or SGPT)—an enzyme found primarily in the liver. Abnormalities may represent liver disease.

GGT—Also known as Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, GGTP Formal name: Gamma-glutamyl transferase helps to detect liver and bile duct injury. Some doctors use it in all people they suspect of having liver disease, others use it only to help explain the cause of other changes or if they suspect alcohol abuse.

Lipids

Cholesterol, Total—A sterol in the blood. Knowing your cholesterol may be as important as knowing your blood pressure. Elevated cholesterol is associated with an increasing risk of coronary heart disease.

HDL—Cholesterol High-density lipoproteins are believed to take cholesterol away from cells and transport it back to the liver for processing or removal. They have become known as the "good" cholesterol as persons with high levels of HDL may have less heart disease. Low HDL could be the result of smoking and lack of exercise.

VLDL—Very Low Density Lipoprotein (VLDL) is one of three major lipoprotein particles. The other two are high density lipoprotein (HDL) and low density lipoprotein (LDL). Each one of these particles contains a mixture of cholesterol, protein, and triglycerides, but in varying amounts unique to each type of particle.

LDL—Cholesterol Low-density lipoproteins contain the greatest percentage of cholesterol and may be responsible for depositing cholesterol on the artery walls. For that reason, they are known as the "bad" cholesterol.

Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio—Calculated by dividing the total cholesterol by the HDL cholesterol. Ratio used by physicians in determining your relative risk for developing cardiovascular disease.

Triglycerides—Triglycerides are fat in the blood responsible for providing energy to the cells of the body. Triglycerides should be less than 400 mg/dl even in a non-fasting state.

Labwork like this would cost $200+ via a doctor's office.

You can find thyroid tests as well.

The Thyroid Panel, Special runs $89 and will get your FT3, FT4 and TSH. If TSH is high or T3 low, then perhaps seeing a doctor about thyroid antibodies would be the next step. Or asking about an iodine measure. I really like directlabs, they've allowed me to confidentially direct my own care while saving money at the same time.

Best,

Alex

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately, my being able to stay asleep on the pap machine has not improved. Last night, after waking up after two hours in spite of extensive exercise and being outside quite a bit, I took an ambien for the first time two days in a row to get back to sleep. Unfortunately, taking it in that manner does nothing energy or sleep wise but it alleviated the extreme feelings of despair so it did the job.

It was a horrible day yesterday as I saw a sleep medicine dentist about the possibility of a dental appliance for apnea. Due to my being sleep deprived, I didn't ask the questions I should have asked and got ripped off big time on a dental exam which I had asked for in addition to the consult for the appliance.  It didn't include a cleaning by the way and of course, he claims I need a million things done.  He could be right but I am going for another opinion for obvious reasons. Even if he is, to not offer a cleaning with the exam is unheard of. Anyway, getting a dental appliance is not going to be a possibility and even it was, I would be quite leery as I think so many of them are rip off artists.

Anyway, I have to solve this sleeping problem and if it means taking meds, than that is what I will be doing. But I will give the epson salts a real shot for a few days. The problem is I am so tired when I am ready to go to bed, I never feel like taking a bath. But I gotta give this an honest try.

The problem I am going to have is because I fall sleep so easily, I fear anything I take is going to have an opposite effect. This happened with inositol and elavil. Tried taking ambien before going to bed and only lasted 3 hours. Someone suggested I try the CR version but due to feeling that it worsens my apnea which is listed as a side effect, I am not too crazy about this option.

To be continued

I am sorry Compsports;I am having really bad time with my sleep also.

The odd thing about it is that during the day I'm noticing important improvement in anxiety levels.

I  take ALL kind of natural stuff to help me sleep, but I can't get rid of benzo, and that scares the hell out of me.

What a Tough ride...

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Thank Alex.  I am sorry you are also a member of the "struggle with sleep" club but I am glad to hear your anxiety is improving.  Yup, it is darned tough ride.

CS

I have a question for you CS; are your sleeping problems due to apnea?

Because mine are not.I wake up because of high cortisol.I don't have any breathing issues;for now.

Very scary anyway...

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.