Depression as an Infectious Disease

Ssriwarrior

Check out this article with a researcher suggesting major depressive disorder to be re-classified as an infection...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141114124307.htm

would make sense with the inflammation theory and the possibility that anti-depressants work because of their anti-fungal/anti-histamine properties. 

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

He said 're-conceptualize' not reclassify.

MDD remains highly prevalent disease with some 15 to 20 percent of the population experiencing MDD at some point. Recurrence is common, and pharmacological treatments have not changed. Because the causal aspects of the disease are not clearly defined, research to find causes remains paramount to help improve treatments.

"Given this track record of MDD, I propose reconceptualizing the condition as some form of infectious disease," said Dr. Canli, who is also Director of Stony Brook's SCAN Center, a member of the Program in Neuroscience, and a Senior Fellow in the Center for Medical Humanities, Compassionate Care, and Bioethics. "Future research should conduct a concerted effort search of parasites, bacteria, or viruses that may play a causal role in the etiology of MDD."

An interesting line of research to be sure. Studies need to be done. I see more drugs at the end of this tunnel too as in "Pharma will jump on this like dogs on meaty bones".

Ah, I am such a pessimist...... and in danger of becoming an "anti-drug" fanatic. Could that be the worst thing in the world? Being a "compliant patient" (up to a point) got me here.....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

He said 're-conceptualize' not reclassify.

MDD remains highly prevalent disease with some 15 to 20 percent of the population experiencing MDD at some point. Recurrence is common, and pharmacological treatments have not changed. Because the causal aspects of the disease are not clearly defined, research to find causes remains paramount to help improve treatments.

"Given this track record of MDD, I propose reconceptualizing the condition as some form of infectious disease," said Dr. Canli, who is also Director of Stony Brook's SCAN Center, a member of the Program in Neuroscience, and a Senior Fellow in the Center for Medical Humanities, Compassionate Care, and Bioethics. "Future research should conduct a concerted effort search of parasites, bacteria, or viruses that may play a causal role in the etiology of MDD."

An interesting line of research to be sure. Studies need to be done. I see more drugs at the end of this tunnel too as in "Pharma will jump on this like dogs on meaty bones".

Ah, I am such a pessimist...... and in danger of becoming an "anti-drug" fanatic. Could that be the worst thing in the world? Being a "compliant patient" (up to a point) got me here.....

Cymbaltaswithdrawal, I totally agree about your points regarding being an anti-drug fanatic.

And if depression is inflamatory, why not advise patients to take fish oil and eat an antiinflamatory diet?   But that would take money out of big pharma's pocket so we can't have that. :rolleyes:

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Right, it's an infection you get from family members who are jerks.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I loved your comment, Alto, but I think this theory has more merit than the "chemical imbalance" delusion.  The big problem as I see it, is that these theories somehow get passed along as facts without any respectable research behind them, and then Big Pharma comes along with another money-making variety of good old-fashioned snake oil to cure the fictitious problem.  I've personally experienced a number of physical symptoms when I've been badly depressed and some of our members have medical conditions with symptoms that are mistaken for "mental illness", such as Alexejice. IMO, however, there are multiple causes behind MDD, which includes close associates with toxic personalities. 

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Yes, like "chemical imbalance," it is an attempt to find a biological basis for a condition that has many forms and causes.

I maintain if a physical disease causes emotional or mood effects, the diagnosis should be the disease and not "depression." In that situation, "depression" is only a very vague, inaccurate description of some symptoms, not a diagnosis.

I agree these attempts to further biological psychiatry lead to attempts to treat the disorder with mind-altering drugs. However, where a bug or a parasite is the cause of infection, the treatment should be to control the infectious agent, not to modify the person's neural processes.

(This article refers to Major Depressive Disorder as a "highly prevalent disease with some 15 to 20 percent of the population experiencing MDD at some point." In other words, the garden-variety situational "depression" that made drug companies so much money, not the relatively uncommon very severe condition formerly called Major Depression.)

The researcher has no evidence at all that parasitic, bacterial, or viral infection cause MDD, he is only speculating, perhaps fishing for grant money.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Here is a link to a study on how pap therapy treatment eases depression symptoms.   I am just incredulous that a study is needed to prove that since obviously, if you stop breathing several times per hours, it is going to effect brain funtion which leads to depression. 

http://www.dailyrx.com/sleep-apnea-treatments-continuous-positive-airway-pressure-and-mandibular-advancement-devices-may

Here is a link to a study on how pap therapy treatment eases depression symptoms.   I am just incredulous that a study is needed to prove that since obviously, if you stop breathing several times per hours, it is going to effect brain funtion which leads to depression. 

http://www.dailyrx.com/sleep-apnea-treatments-continuous-positive-airway-pressure-and-mandibular-advancement-devices-may

Last time I was at my doctor's office I noticed there was a pamphlet about sleep problems causing depression, seems they may be trying to get to the root cause here finally...They were advocating for PAP therapy too, hopefully skipping over drugs for insomnia...

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Last time I was at my doctor's office I noticed there was a pamphlet about sleep problems causing depression, seems they may be trying to get to the root cause here finally...They were advocating for PAP therapy too, hopefully skipping over drugs for insomnia...

Good to know US.  Still I am reluctant to mention depression out of fear I will be labeled as a psych case and offered meds as the solution to all problems.

I don't blame you comp, I wouldn't tell them that either.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 4 weeks later...

As a sufferer of what I now know to be 'melancholic depression' (4 episodes) I have long been interested in the biological causes.  I've done a lot of research and the theory I favour the most is inflammation. I don't know if that is the case for those who find no relief for years but it certainly fits those of us whose depression is episodic.  It's almost as if the brain shuts down the inflamed parts as it is trying to heal.  What causes the inflammation is, of course, very much open to debate.

Personal history of GAD and 4 melancholic depressive episodes - two treated with Amityptline

Family history of Bipolar Disorder - goes back at least 3 generations

Adult son with autism, ADHD, intellectual disability and Bipolar II

Put on Aropax / Paxil in July 1997 for anther episode.  Decision to stay on it - worst decision of my life.

Began to poop out in late 2008. Switched to Lexapro March 2009.  Made me suicidal.  Tried Cymbalta for 19 days. Horrible w/d.

Found PP and RI'd Aropax at about the same time - August 2009.  Began slow taper in 2010. Crashed in 13-11mg range in mid 2013.  Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct 2013 in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/longing-for-life/id958423649  My book about my unsuccessful journey through IVF

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/04/depression-allergic-reaction-inflammation-immune-system

A growing number of scientists are suggesting that depression is a result of inflammation caused by the body’s immune system

I found this really interesting, mainly because I gave up and went back on my full dose of Lexapro during a period of time when I began having system inflammation - chronic hives, swollen joints, etc. My depression hit me full force during that time.

In my case, the only thing that seems to help is careful attention to diet - and in particular a ketogenic diet seems to calm the symptoms for me. It's tough to get going on it, though - because it takes a few weeks for the mood improvements to kick in, and starting a radical diet is difficult when you feel very down. I'm back at it, trying, though.

Sugar and grains are being claimed by some to be related to systemic inflammation - from Harvard: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/What-you-eat-can-fuel-or-cool-inflammation-a-key-driver-of-heart-disease-diabetes-and-other-chronic-conditions.shtml

The bolus of blood sugar that accompanies a meal or snack of highly refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, French fries, sugar-laden soda, etc.) increases levels of inflammatory messengers called cytokines.

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

merged similar topics.

The Guardian picked up the story from where it was originally found at Science Daily

See Alto's comment above.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

merged similar topics.

The Guardian picked up the story from where it was originally found at Science Daily

See Alto's comment above.

I definitely agree with Alto.  I am sure my inflammation is increased from severe sleep deprivation which leads to depression.   But the underlying issue is physical and sadly, most doctors would overlook that and push an AD on me.

Yes, like "chemical imbalance," it is an attempt to find a biological basis for a condition that has many forms and causes.

<snip>

The researcher has no evidence at all that parasitic, bacterial, or viral infection cause MDD, he is only speculating, perhaps fishing for grant money.

were the comments I related to.

Here is a write-up of a study that came out well before the inflammation hypothesis. It says turmeric was as effective as Prozac. If depression has an inflammatory cause, it would make sense that turmeric, which is anti inflammatory, would help. I take turmeric for its purported anti cancer properties. In all my research since having cancer, turmeric is the only food ingredient besides various mushrooms that seems to have real science behind it at a preventative. (I no longer have cancer, thank God.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23832433

Edited by cymbaltawithdrawal5600
fixed link

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

To be perfectly honest, the link I had was about inflammation - not necessarily linked to infection like the first one. The link I posted is not linked to the Science Daily article and has several other sources talking about related but not the same things. My hope for conversation about diet and its links to inflammation is now quashed - I'll have to take it elsewhere.

I don't think I've ever posted anything on these forums that wasn't deleted or moved, and it's part of why I get so frustrated and don't come here often except to talk about dosages specifically. The conversation is so heavily controlled that I can have much more open and engaging dialogue on other sites.

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

Here is a write-up of a study that came out well before the inflammation hypothesis. It says turmeric was as effective as Prozac. If depression has an inflammatory cause, it would make sense that turmeric, which is anti inflammatory, would help. I take turmeric for its purported anti cancer properties. In all my research since having cancer, turmeric is the only food ingredient besides various mushrooms that seems to have real science behind it at a preventative. (I no longer have cancer, thank God.)

WC,

That link doesn't lead to the study directly, just to the person's most recent tweet. If you can point me to the study you found or to the original tweet, I can fix the link.

Was it this one? Note that the study discusses circumin, which is a turmeric extract, MDD and fluoxetine and not inflammation, as you point out. Several health and wellness blogs did posts on this study.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah. Whatever I pasted in was not the link I intended! Sorry and thanks for catching it. The study whose link you suggested is that one I meant.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Good info, btdt. I noticed that one listed side effect is iron deficiency. Given the lack of energy many of us have it is possible some of us are already deficient in iron. I sure would like some bloodworm done! In the past I was told I had anemia...

Good info, btdt. I noticed that one listed side effect is iron deficiency. Given the lack of energy many of us have it is possible some of us are already deficient in iron. I sure would like some bloodworm done! In the past I was told I had anemia...

I was anemic when I was on effexor but not since I have been off I have not taken any iron supplement since ... but they don't check my iron anymore I don't see it on my blood work not sure why... 

At one point I was told to stop taking the supplement as I had too much iron as i was so use to taking it I continued after Effexor as I had needed it so long... just assumed I always would 

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

Surgery: Turmeric might slow blood clotting. It might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using turmeric at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Bleeding problems: Taking turmeric might slow blood clotting. This might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.

A stomach disorder called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): Turmeric can cause stomach upset in some people. It might make stomach problems such as GERD worse. Do not take turmeric if it worsens symptoms of GERD.

These are the ones that worry me. 

Had a car accident in 85

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/37/10/1077.full.pdf

Alteration of Central Serotonin Modifies Onset and Severity of Adjuvant - Induced Arthritis in Rat  I can't copy from it as I do not have the programs on my computer to do so or I would read the end.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22251606

"

contemporary investigations have revealed that depression is linked with inflammation, and that SSRI/SNRIs possess significant anti-inflammatory actions. While these anti-inflammatory properties initially only related to work undertaken on cells of the peripheral immune system, it has recently become apparent that these drugs also exert anti-inflammatory effects on microglia, the principal cells within the CNS that regulate and respond to inflammatory factors. "

So it would make sense for inflammation to increase after these drugs are stopped( I would suspect cold turkey to be worse than taper but don't know...) They do affect the peripheral immune system... since the immune system is poorly understood who know where we go from there. The affect on the CNS is even more interesting and compelling as we live with that fact daily in withdrawal. 

Had a car accident in 85

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy