SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

More tragic victims of psychiatry?

mammaP

• Moderator Emeritus

This poor girls went missing last night with her newborn baby and was found dead this morning, police are still searching for the baby'

The poor poor girl and her family, this is tearing my heart in two. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11270008/Police-cordon-off-rubbish-bins-in-search-for-missing-mother-Charlotte-Bevan-and-her-baby.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-30316706

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

The poor girl had stopped her antidepressants to breast feed her baby, 4 days old and

she took her life and her baby. I am struggling with this so much, there are a lot of people online saying awful

things about her doing that, and others saying it is because she stopped taking her medication and became ill

without it. No-one mentions withdrawal. It is so so tragic and not that far from me.  :(

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2014/12/04/charlotte-bevan-missing-body-found-search-for-new-mum-newborn-baby/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D312472

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Aww so sad. So very sad, especially since as you see on here things can improve and withdrawal is harrowing but temporary.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

No-one mentions withdrawal.  :(

That makes me so mad!

05/11  Gabapentin 1800mg, nardil 60mg, 05/12  Rapid taper & d/c both
12/12  ER: Risperidone .5 mg 2x day 1 wk/then .5 mg 1x day, 02/13  Risperidone d/c
03/13  ER: Seroquel 150 mg, Celexa 20 mg (d/c after 1 week)
04/13  E&T: 10mg zyprexa, 20mg Celexa, 150mg trazodone, 2mg Clonazepam (Zyprexa and Celexa d/c after 1 week)        
05/13  Rapid taper & d/c Trazadone, clonazepam reduced from 2 mg - .5 mg, Gabapentin 300 mg 3x day
06/13  Clonaz .5 mg - .125 mg

12/13  Clonaz 1/8 mg, gabapentin 240 mg 3x day

03/14  Clonaz 1/8 mg, gabapentin 100 mg 3x day

09/14  Clonaz 1/8 mg, gabapentin   33 mg 3x day   11/14  Clonazepam 1/7 mg

04/15  Clonazepam 1/11 mg

08/15  finished taper

So upsetting, when will it end? 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I've just seen this Mamma P. It really did upset me too. People on Facebook saying she was troubled and had issues. I ended up telling some home truths....she cold turkey off Her meds and its withdrawal that killed them. She wasn't to know that would happen. She obviously loved her child as she was concerned she was harming her by taking meds. Shame her family will not know that it was the abrupt discontinuation of the med that did this and not really her.

Breaks my heart.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• 4 weeks later...

This is just terrible and it is maddening, maddening. If the news about antidepressant withdrawal were available to those nurses, they would have monitored her better or even had a better idea than CT WD.

To the mods: Should the topic I created this morning possibly just get added to this one? The title and topic are both good for what I posted.

Does anyone know if groups like those that run Mad in America have attempted any kind of outreach to health practitioners, media, or lawmakers? I recall that California democrat Barbara Boxer was talking about the vast cost of medical mistakes last year, but haven't heard much from anyone else in high places. And Boxer will retire next year. I owe it to all of us to write to her, so hold me to it.

Here is the form from her web site

https://www.boxer.senate.gov/contact/shareyourviews.html

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

The man who threatened to kill John Boehner had had a psychotic episode in 2012, the nature of which is not described. He was put on meds and stopped taking them six months later. This story SOUNDS like a genuine case of actual pre-meds psychosis, not discontinuation, but you never know. At his age, a first psychotic episode needs explaining. Usually, schizophrenia first manifests by one's early 20s.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/15/boehner-foiled-plot-man-mental-illness

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

To the mods: Should the topic I created this morning possibly just get added to this one? The title and topic are both good for what I posted.

give specifics and is this a request? You can PM me if so. Or any mod.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

i don't think we should be too quick to say it is withdrawal - she could have been experiencing postpartum psychosis

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hi all. In an effort to stay in bed and iPadding for as long as possible, I decided to search the net for the phrase "off his medications."

Here's a case you might recall, when the high schooler shot and killed some students in Seattle last year. I recall the case, and at the time tried to find out if there was a medication angle. Well, there was. He had been on meds for OCD and gone off them 6 months before. That's not quite the smoking gun we see when the assailant just went off his meds a few days before, but it is of some interest.

My most psychotic-seeming period lasted from about Nov 2012 to June 2013, I would say. By May I was making some sense, but still thoroughly agitated and experiencing PTSD-like terrors. I was still paranoid and hostile to so-called authorities.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/11/prosecutor-says-seattle-campus-shooter-stopped-taking-his-medication/

Now I'm just making myself angry.

Look at the headline here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/31/derek-ward-beheaded-mother_n_6081498.html

Derek Ward, Man Who Beheaded Mother, Was Off Medication: Family

I haz idea: how about we write a succinct letter that can be sent to journalists and editors when a story like this is printed. If they could just say something like "his behavior may have been due to a psychiatric medication discontinuation syndrome, known to cause psychosis, rather than a relapse into a pre-existing illness."

It is so hard to be succinct about it though...

The man in this HuffPo story had not been violent in the past. So how could it be a recurrence?

I don't recall this horrible story. Imagine the ongoing devastation there for the survivors and their loved ones.

This sort of story makes people think so-called bipolar patients are dangerous...for crying out loud, before all these meds were so prevalent, I learned about bipolar illness in college, as a psychology major and as a projectionist showing movies for professors of psychiatry in the med school. I have no recollection of bipolar patients being described as murderous. It would be in interesting project to review text books from the past to the present and see how the ailment is described.

Anyway, here we go again. If there is a God I hope He has some solace for all involved in this terrible event.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/07/rodrick_dantzlers_family_says.html

There are several sites on the net where stories such as this are posted. Recalling them all here not quite necessary. The earliest site was Charly G's (do a search).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I wish it said more about what this man was like before and during medication. At least no one was hurt. Wonder what chemical straight jacket they have him on now...

http://fox6now.com/2014/05/21/missing-endangered-bipolar-hartford-man-said-to-be-off-his-medication/

Hi Cymbalta, I was worried I would run afoul of protocol by posting these here. I'll stop. Our last two posts crossed in the mail.

Not so much afoul but our mission here is one of support and some of those stories are very alarming for someone in the throes of a bad wd.

That makes sense. I will not be the least bit offended if you wish to delete all of them, then,

Another tragic story.

Florida man threw his  5-year-old girl from bridge. He was on Zoloft and Seroquel.

"Phoebe's mother, Michelle Kerr, told the Tampa Bay Times that Jonchuck often was unpredictable and took psychiatric medications such as Seroquel and Zoloft.

"He was very, very bipolar," she said. "He was Jekyll and Hyde all the way.""

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/14/tampa-girl-tossed-from-bridge-funeral/21741017/

Yup, saw that one. I wonder just how bipolar he was before he got on meds.

Barrett Brown, a reporter who published links to material hackers had taken from some security firms, was sentenced to five years last week, and a huge fine in the hundreds of thousands. I JUST found out that some of what got him into trouble was...PAXIL. He's obviously a complicated person, not an angel, and apparently has heroin addiction in his last.

The Paxil withdrawal along with suboxone withdrawal apparently had him making videos that looked crazy and led to prosecution, along with his writings and his links to the hacked material.

In the link below, the Paxil comes up in the second italicized paragraph.

http://bit.ly/1yNBLaN

• 2 weeks later...

Happened upon this. Highly successful man becomes depressed in 1988 goes on ADs, turns bipolar.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-57755/Confessions-manic-depressive.html

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

I am curious where you found this link?

Oddly this is the first time I have heard of him. 

He did an interview here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhjC_7FAIoU

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

on page 107 he mentions auto immunological processes and pulmonary fibrosis ....

these are new to me. He is talking about side effects of prozac and stated like drugs do the same. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy