Bigpawz: Pristiq taper begins

Bigpawz

Hi, all.

After reading until my eyes are blurry, digesting all the info I can find, I'm about to start my taper to get rid of my 50mg Pristiq "habit".

I've been on 50mg for about 4 years. In that time, I've suffered terrible sexual side effects. Lack of sex drive. Totally unreliable erections. As a result of this, plus the fact that she wasn't much of a communicator, it ended the relationship with my girlfriend of 6 years. I'm 50, healthy as they come. CrossFit 3 times per week. Cardiac health excellent. Started the "demon drug" when I got divorced 6+ years ago. Not depressed anymore except for the fact that IT RUINED MY CURRENT RELATIONSHIP. Nothing worse than for someone with self-esteem issues (body-related) to have a partner that doesn't "appear" into you. I may as well have no penis at all at this moment. And all my life prior to this, it has served me spectacularly well.

SO...Ive read all the warning, cautions, helpful anecdotes and I'm going the pill-cutting route. I have my 1st few weeks all prepared. I found that a pair of cutters that I use for electronics (to cut leads to flat on a circuit board) worked best.

Cross your collective fingers for me. I'm a stubborn man. I know what I'm in for. I'm not happy about it. But I'm less happy about staying on it. Hopefully, a nice gradual taper will do it. I came off Cymbalta once after 3 years. Not fun but doable.

Cheers

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

Welcome bigpawz. You are in good company here. I find this forum very helpful when I need answers and very comforting when I just need to hear that it will be alright. I hope you will find the help and support you are looking for here. Thank you for sharing your story.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Thanks. MUCHO. I echo what many have said. Why is this prescribed at all. And even more so...why with no easy way out. Well, money, obviously. I'm pretty strong mentally. Seems like I may need it.

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Bigpawz, Well done for doing your homework and planning your taper. I'm glad you came here

before starting your taper, most of us landed here suffering from withdrawal after a too fast taper or cold turkey. 

I'll post some links for you that you might have missed. Sorry if you have seen them already but they tend to get buried

away! Ignore them if you've seen them already. 

Tapering pristiq http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

Why taper 10% http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

It would be good if you could just put your drug and dosage in your signature strip, then if you have any questions 

later on we can see at a glance where you are at and where you started. Here is how to do that. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

And last but not least the 3 KIS http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

I am sure your taper will go well for you as you seem to have prepared well, hopefully your symptoms will

improve as your dose gets lower. Keep us updated won't you? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I will most definitely keep you updated. I'm beyond thrilled that this site exists. Lots of tidbits scattered all over the internet. This is the one place I found with a lot of good info, stories, and people.

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

Hello Bigpawz,

Just wanted to wish you well on your journey!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Ok.  Day one of the taper. This stuff (Pristiq) really has to go.  

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

<Crosses fingers>

NO matter how bad it gets, it will not quit.  I just hope I can keep it comfortably manageable.  

I get tons of exercise (CrossFit) so hopefully that will help.

Cheers

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

Hello Bigpawz,

Just wanted to wish you well on your journey!

Thanks.  As with most people in this particular boat, I'm sure, like me, didn't realize the situation it would land us in with no easy way out.  It's good that we have each other.

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok.  Day one of the taper. This stuff (Pristiq) really has to go.  

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

<Crosses fingers>

NO matter how bad it gets, it will not quit.  I just hope I can keep it comfortably manageable.  

I get tons of exercise (CrossFit) so hopefully that will help.

Cheers

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that Bigpawz, toughing though it can lead to disaster as many of us have discovered :( 

Slowly really does win the race with tapering these drugs, especially SNRI like pristiq and effexor.  You have dropped

by 25% for your first cut, we recommend no more that 10% cuts with 4 weeks between cuts.  I thought I could go

faster and pushed through when I felt some withdrawal, then stopped too soon and it was a nightmare! It took several

months to stabilise and now it is going on for 3 years since I started tapering. Had I done it the 10% way I would have

been off much sooner!  It honestly isn't worth it. We have had very fit and active people here brought to their knees by

a too fast taper, please don't join them. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Definitely a demon drug.  OK.  I'll readjust things when I get home and go from there.  

Thanks!

50mg Pristiq yesterday.

37mg today (12/9/2014)

Good luck Bigpawz. We are in the same boat. My first drop was too big and took a while to stabilise. I can echo what MammaP a says, take it slow. I'm struggling with my last drop - too big again - it's very tempting to rush it when things going well but don't.

Like you I'm determined to rid myself of this drug. I will pop in every now and again to see how you are doing

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• 3 weeks later...

Bigpawz -

I, too, am on the journey of tapering Pristiq.  I tapered too quickly in 2013 which led to terrible withdrawal symptoms.  I reinstated about 4 months out and have been tapering ever since.  I have held several times as I seem to take a while to stabilize.  

I wish you all the best on your journey.

Pdg610

Started Pristiq in 2009

Weaned off in Fall of 2013 using skipping dose method advised by doctor

Intense anxiety, insomnia, weightloss in early 2014

Prescribed multiple meds including klonopin, trazodone and 50 mg Pristiq

Finally found a psychiatrist to help me withdraw

Reduced to larger half of 50mg on July 19

Reinstated to larger half and large 1/4 of 50mg on Aug 6

Reduced to larger half of 50 mg around Aug 30

Reduced to large quarter end of November

Slowly reducing with help of a scale

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bigpawz.

Wondering how your taper is going?  Do let us know.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes