Jason

Friend can start/stop nerve- and brain-related drugs with few problems

Jason

I have a friend who has been on a number of more psych and neuro-related drugs, much more than I've been on, and more than quite a few of us here have been on, for a lot longer than I or many of us have been on them. He's shared stories with me about side effects and the last drug he stopped taking I told him he was in withdrawal when he was texting me about needing someone cant stop crying, feeling suicidal, etc. But now he's on another one and seems better when I saw him, and I know it was from being on a drug. Why is it that some people can actually just take a number of these things and, yes, they will get side effects and withdrawal effects - things that even medical doctors would recognize as not out-of-the-oridnary, but some of us, like me and those on this board, are EXTREMELY sensitive can have horrific long-lasting periods of withdrawal or severe side effects such as suicidal thoughts and severe malaise and illness and other strange disorders. I just don't understand.

I worry about him, but to be honest I'm almost a little jealous. He seems to tolerate meds well and sometimes they help him, sometimes they don't. But when they don't he can just tell his doctor or doctors, and they get him off of them, with some problems but nothing like what I experience or read about here. I'm just baffled at the difference.

So, what gives?

And, I'm honestly happy that some of these things help him. Do I wish he wouldn't take them? Yes. And I tell him this all the time. I ask if he takes nutrient supplements and he does and even some of his doctors prescribe them for him! Imagine that!

BTW - his main neuro concerns are more with regards to migraines, but there is so much overlap with neurology. He has also suffered some low self-esteem, some depression, and some anxiety, but again, nothing like what I have seen/experienced here which is from what I gather from the drugs themselves, too.

Thanks.

nz11

He's shared stories with me about side effects and the last drug he stopped taking I told him he was in withdrawal when he was texting me about needing someone cant stop crying, feeling suicidal, etc. But now he's on another one and seems better when I saw him, and I know it was from being on a drug.

The title and this observation are very contradictory.

Clearly he cant stop these drugs with no symptoms.

Do you know the drugs and dosages? I kind of think you are making a lot of assumptions..

Sending someone back on a drug at double the dose often numbs the brain and cns into compliance creating an illusion something useful is happening when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

These are not chemicals that can be taken intermittently, willy nilly like an aspirin ...your friend is playing with fire.

Jason

He's shared stories with me about side effects and the last drug he stopped taking I told him he was in withdrawal when he was texting me about needing someone cant stop crying, feeling suicidal, etc. But now he's on another one and seems better when I saw him, and I know it was from being on a drug.

The title and this observation are very contradictory.

Clearly he cant stop these drugs with no symptoms.

Do you know the drugs and dosages? I kind of think you are making a lot of assumptions..

Sending someone back on a drug at double the dose often numbs the brain and cns into compliance creating an illusion something useful is happening when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

These are not chemicals that can be taken intermittently, willy nilly like an aspirin ...your friend is playing with fire.

While he has shared stories of side effects with me with regards to these, they're nowhere near the ballpark of the types and severity of the sypmtoms I and others on this board experience. He's very lucky in that regard.

He does get symptoms upon stopping drugs. I really, really wish he wouldn't take anything at all.

Although, the majority of his suffering relates to migraines. Something I know absolutely nothing about.

He is playing with fire! I tell him this all the time. Fortunately enough for him, though, he can stop and start various drugs with not that much problem. Makes one wonder why some are like this and some are not.