SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

WiggleIt: Tardive dyskinesia & dystonia from TCAs/nortriptyline/desipramine; rapid taper & benzo trouble, too

WiggleIt

I've had various vision issues. They have gotten better for the most part. They will return occasionally, but I'm sure they will eventually be gone for good. ((Hugs))

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

((((WiggleIt))))) Everything will get better and you will heal from this entire mess. Your body is amazing and will slowly return to a state of health and normalcy. We just have to give it more time.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Ugh, seriously, if people can work, go to school, and walk and swallow and exercise during their withdrawal, then I wish they would stop whining.

If your symptoms aren't bad enough to halt your life 100%, then count your blessings.

I agree. I personally don't want to hear from anyone who sleeps. But, I can't hold that against people, yet I still have a side of me that wants to tell them all to piss off.

Or people whose WD is like having the flu. I can't listen to that either. I actually have no tolerance and don't care. I'm not even sure why I'm here, I'm being so negative. Sorry.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Ugh, seriously, if people can work, go to school, and walk and swallow and exercise during their withdrawal, then I wish they would stop whining.

If your symptoms aren't bad enough to halt your life 100%, then count your blessings.

I agree. I personally don't want to hear from anyone who sleeps. But, I can't hold that against people, yet I still have a side of me that wants to tell them all to piss off.

Or people whose WD is like having the flu. I can't listen to that either. I actually have no tolerance and don't care. I'm not even sure why I'm here, I'm being so negative. Sorry.

I'm negative sometimes too.

Until one has been through suicial anxiety/akathesia where you pace the floors night and day, loose complete concentration and cannot work, eat or sleep with absolute brain torment unrelenting has not been through withdrawal. I would trade the suicidal anxiety/aketheisia for flu symtpoms, insomnia etc that others have any day.

I'm not having that now, praise the Lord, but I fear that it could return at any time.

I also will say absolutely that I will take death before going through that again and I'm dead serious!

Friends and relatives can't believe when I make a statement like that  but it's true.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Wishing you healing..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Will I ever stop having myoclonic jerks?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Yes, sweetheart, you will--in time. I feel the same way about the akathisia. I've had it constantly for 7 months now.

Praying these will ease up for you!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

All your symptoms will begin to subside at some point Wiggle. I know it seems like our bodies will be making us suffer for the rest of our lives, but it's not true. Tell yourself that, don't forget about it at all. I've recently learned that people can rehabilitate from many brain conditions, embolisms, brain strokes, paralysis, etc… it takes time but people recover. The same will apply to you. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

Until one has been through suicial anxiety/akathesia where you pace the floors night and day, loose complete concentration and cannot work, eat or sleep with absolute brain torment unrelenting has not been through withdrawal. I would trade the suicidal anxiety/aketheisia for flu symtpoms, insomnia etc that others have any day.

I'm not having that now, praise the Lord, but I fear that it could return at any time.

I also will say absolutely that I will take death before going through that again and I'm dead serious!

Friends and relatives can't believe when I make a statement like that but it's true.

I feel ya Chicken. Glad I'm not the only one.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

I dared to think and write some complex info tonight and now have brain zaps.

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

Ugh :( I watch game shows on TV a lot--mainly because they're about the only thing I CAN watch. I went through a phase where trying to participate actually made my brain hurt. It's much better now!

WI,

I just made a whiny poor me post about how I am feeling today and then remembered that your suffering is so much greater than mine is:

I'm sorry, I guess I have blessings that I am not counting. I get in these moods, looking at all the problems that I cannot fix, and I just want to die and get away from all of it because I see no silver lining or escape.

I wish you were not so ill and I wish there was something I could do to help, And I am ashamed for whining just because I feel a bit 'useless'.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

WI,

I just made a whiny poor me post about how I am feeling today and then remembered that your suffering is so much greater than mine is:

I'm sorry, I guess I have blessings that I am not counting. I get in these moods, looking at all the problems that I cannot fix, and I just want to die and get away from all of it because I see no silver lining or escape.

I wish you were not so ill and I wish there was something I could do to help, And I am ashamed for whining just because I feel a bit 'useless'.

Oh, CW, I did not know about your post and was not directing anything toward you!  I apologize if I inadvertently made anything awkward.

I just wish I could even walk one block without myoclonic jerks.

CW, did you ever have brain zaps?  Did they go away?

• Moderator Emeritus

Why am I still getting brain zaps 4.5 months later?  Will they go away?  Please, I rad one scary thread somewhere on here where someone got hit with worsening brain zaps a year later.  They said they had gone away for a long time, so this person though they were in the safe zone, and then they got whammed worse than before.

Please, please, someone, tell me you've recovered.

And from the jerks.

You will recover from the jerks, WI, and I'm not talking about the myoclonic ones. You will heal from all this WD stuff in time. Just because somebody's symptoms came back doesn't mean yours will, sweetheart. You never know the whole story from what people write on these threads. They could have downed a bottle of wine and howled at the moon covered in dog sh*t the night before, but they're going to leave out that tidbit of info. You're going to take care of yourself, limit your naked moon howling and, before you know it, you'll toss your cane and straw at an unsuspecting stranger. Of course, that would be WD rage, so you'll have to get acupuncture, or watch a f*cking YouTube video to work on that.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

Pug, you just made me laugh tears of joy for the first time in a long time!  I read your comment to my folks and it cheered them up, too!

• Moderator Emeritus

There haven't been any new recovery stories in a while, it seems, but I keep going back to read Pax80's recovery story over and over again.

There's a new one here from PennyLane34. And don't forget. Were gonna write a recovery story someday too, sweetheart. It's just a matter of TIME.

You will recover from the jerks, WI, and I'm not talking about the myoclonic ones. You will heal from all this WD stuff in time. Just because somebody's symptoms came back doesn't mean yours will, sweetheart. You never know the whole story from what people write on these threads. They could have downed a bottle of wine and howled at the moon covered in dog sh*t the night before, but they're going to leave out that tidbit of info. You're going to take care of yourself, limit your naked moon howling and, before you know it, you'll toss your cane and straw at an unsuspecting stranger. Of course, that would be WD rage, so you'll have to get acupuncture, or watch a f*cking YouTube video to work on that.

Pug! You are now officially reading between the lines!!! :) you never know what people leave out of their stories. Very very true!

WF taught me that. She is my Yoda.

WF taught me that. She is my Yoda.[/quot

lol. Thx you. I had to learn the hard way when I showed up. Months of hysterics and no one would even speak to me here for a while... Lol so after throwing myself in the floor in despair, I finally figured it out. :)

Friends and relatives can't believe when I make a statement like that  but it's true.

Chicken, you described exactly how I feel about akathisia. I'm still surviving it and still traumatised by the intensity of it some weeks ago. And yes, death is better than akathisia, only people who have experienced it would know that. Thankfully it seems to go away. I hope it never returns for any of us. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

Wiggle, I completely agree with Pug. Symptoms can return for many reasons and everyone's body is different. 

Years back when I was on the AD's and not in withdrawal, whenever I drank beer or wine, I would get the brain zaps. Now after withdrawal I don't dare to touch alcohol. Unfortunately right now my brain zaps haven't gone away unless I take 1 mg of a SSRI (And I'm taking it right now). I think it's normal to have the brain zaps for a long time. Mine lasted 6 months until I just couldn't take them anymore and reinstated.

But still, we have to take a lot of care of ourselves from now on. You'll begin to see improvements. I wish it could be quicker for you and mostly with all the distressing and severe symptoms you're experiencing. 

((((WI)))) The hardest thing for me is waking up to the same WD every single day with no improvement. It makes me feel I'm not healing at all. But we are. We just need to be patient, and one day, this will be a memory.

• Moderator Emeritus

Brain zaps, insomnia. It's been about a month since my last batch of brain zaps.

Really bad wave of breathing trouble. Been a while since that bothered me as much as it did tonight.

Trying to figure out what could have caused this re-emergence. I ate more Ritz crackers than usual over the past couple of days. Could that be it?

I just want to fall asleep. I had a nice stretch where falling asleep was not filled with as many terrifying physical symptoms as usual, but now the terrifying nighttime symptoms are back when I start to drift off: muscle tremors and twitches everywhere including throat and face and chest and stomach and butt and more, brain zaps, and brain snapping out of sleep mode, plus giant gasping breaths waking me up, and pins and needles, and nighttime urination. Some of this stuff had decreased in intensity just slightly, enough for me to have hope, and now it's all a mess again.

Can you take magnesium in any form, WI? It may help. I don't want to suggest you change up anything you're not used to. I didn't know if mag is something you're already doing.

The symptoms do cycle back around for no reason. It doesn't mean you're getting worse. It means you're healing an area more.

I agree with Pug. Symptoms do cycle back around. With me, it seems they lessen in intensity each time, and I have one or two that have done this and are pretty much gone now.

I definitely have to agree with Cdav and Chicken about the akathisia too. I seem to have had some pretty good "windows" lately, with this at a lesser intensity. I'm praying that will be the next thing on its way out!!

You will get there, Wiggle!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Still cannot walk more than twenty feet due to myoclonic jerks and dystonia.

Still cannot swallow due to messed up throat muscles.

Problems breathing again.

Arms and shoulders still jerk.

Brain zaps.

I have seen exactly zero recovery stories from this severity of physical symptoms. Well, maybe pax80, but I don't know if pax80 had jerks and dystonia. Plus pax80 was younger than I am.

• Moderator Emeritus

Still cannot walk more than twenty feet due to myoclonic jerks and dystonia.

Still cannot swallow due to messed up throat muscles.

Problems breathing again.

Arms and shoulders still jerk.

Brain zaps.

I have seen exactly zero recovery stories from this severity of physical symptoms. Well, maybe pax80, but I don't know if pax80 had jerks and dystonia. Plus pax80 was younger than I am.

Hang in there, Wiggle... You will get better! Sending hugs and prayers!

• Moderator Emeritus

Waking terrors have returned. Those had gone away for a while.

Thin, twitchy sleep last night, waking every hour.

Jerks today.

What if this is as good as it gets?

Plus, lots of people say they get slammed at the six month mark. I am almost at month five. I keep praying that I won't suffer from what I see happening to others, but so far, I fit the pattern. Please, Lord, I cannot take it if things get worse at month six. Please, dear Lord, please send me a miracle, even though I have done nothing to deserve one. Please.

Wiggle, 

sorry about the waking terrors. I've had that these past few days and lots of twitching too. It's awful and frightening. 

Try not to worry about the 6 month mark. As time passes you will get better. There might be waves, but you will be getting better. I don't think this is as good as it gets for you or for anybody of us, even if it feels like it is. 

I'll be praying for God to help you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Cdav,

You are so sweet and so encouraging, but I don't understand how everybody here can keep telling me I will get better when so many are still having problems and it has been longer for many on this website than it has been for me. I don't understand. I am so grateful for my friends here, but are you all just being nice?

I don't think anyone can say for sure what is going to happen. I have noticed over the last nine months that symptoms I didn't have before I cold turkeyed seem to be coming and going in varying degrees. Some are better and some are the same and some come and go. I have to believe that my body and brain are doing something to cause this variation in symptoms. Hopefully it is the brain healing itself. If that is what is happening then your brain must be doing the same. I pray we are all healing. I would be happy if my muscle twitching and burning and weakness and soreness would go. It is the symptom I hate the worst. I hope you are healing and that your symptoms will gradually lessen.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Wiggle, 

Yes, probably many or most of us are still having problems. We probably wouldn't be hanging around here if we were completely healed now. I've been on and off meds, and always had withdrawal syndrome. One of the worst ones left me with severe symptoms for 6 months, and these symptoms went away. My head felt like it was burning, I literally could not think, everything was a fog, all my body hurt, I lost so much weight, my hands and legs went numb or felt like they were in pins and needles every single day. All of this went away after 6 months. Then I went back on other meds for my depression, and was already too sensitive to be trying more medication, thus, I still have problems, physical and emotional. But those horrible phyisical symptoms did go away. 

The akathisia I have been experiencing for the last two months, has diminished a lot, it sometimes flares up, but I do feel improvement. So I know and have felt that healing is possible. 

You are not adding any more meds, so you'll be okay. 

keep hanging in there.