WiggleIt: Tardive dyskinesia & dystonia from TCAs/nortriptyline/desipramine; rapid taper & benzo trouble, too

WiggleIt

It does eventually... But... Eventually is a term not bound to a certain time frame... So, when? Who knows? It's not permanent, that is all know.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

10:52 PM - Wave of physical problems started and triggered anxiety.  It is now 11:46 PM and I am still in the wave.  I am trying to remember that I was recently in a window, but the way this goes is that you feel safe in the windows and trapped in the waves.  When you're in one, you forget that the other exists at all.

I know a one-hour wave doesn't sound like a big deal, but I am just trying to give a real-time update as I hang on for dear life.  I don't know when this will end… Will it be hours, days, weeks before I see a window again?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

"you feel safe in the windows and trapped in the waves" 

In my experience, that's exactly what happens. It's like you're in two different parallel universes. Try and hold on WiggleIt. That's all we can do. Hold on and try to distract and reassure ourselves. It will pass, it always does. But it's horrible while it lasts. Remember the good times. They will come again and will become more and more. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Hi WiggleIt, I've just been reading some of your thread.  You asked if anyone who had "brainzaps", had got over it, who had "cold turkeyed".   I had that and also "pins and needles" on the back of my head.   All gone , now.    After reading your thread , I think you have a lot of advantages.  The fact that you are young , and also that you were not on the drugs for more than ,  what - 3 - 4 yrs.  I hope I have that right.   I'm not meaning to minimize any of your trauma. I just want to say, I think there is a lot of hope, here.  I just wanted to say "hi" and wish you the best, in your recovery.  I think it is a "withdrawal" symptom, that we think we won't heal. The fact is, that we do . It just might take some time.   Sending positive thoughts your way,   Ali. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Ali G, you are not minimizing anything, you are being encouraging, and I thank you for it! :)

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

Thanks for visiting my thread.  Your input is valuable to me.  I have so many issues I did not accept the bladder problem with open arms.  It is distressing to say the least.  I hope you are coping ok.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

I'm so sorry about the wave Wiggle. 

I understand completely what you say about the windows and waves. Like Bluebalu, they seem like two parallel universes. 

I always make the mistake of thinking that I'm finally healed during a window and get my hopes up and make commitments and plans, and then I get the waves and think I will be like that forever and just want to die, that is also a mistake. 

You've shown improvements, I do think there is a lot of hope for you. I know it's hard to see that during waves. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

(((Wiggle))) I agree there is hope, and I do believe you have shown improvement. I also agree that it is difficult to see that when you're in a wave. Everyone says to remember the windows, but that is so difficult, isn't it?!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus
 I don't think "withdrawal" is a good term for this.  I've seen people have withdrawal from recreational substances and THIS is not it.  I also think "discontinuation  syndrome" is too benign.  The most accurate phrase is "tardive neurological damage," in my opinion.  

I agree with you Wiggle, withdrawal might be an accurate description for what happens right after someone stops taking a drug, but this sometimes long process of recovery is obviously something different. I'm wondering if you have read Rhi's plant trellis analogy. Here is a link to it if you haven't:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=91582

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Six months and three weeks off meds: began experiencing bad hair loss this month. Bad. This is completely unexpected this far out. I've heard other people get it, but thought I had dodged a bullet. I'm completely wilted inside. Just one thing I wanted to hold onto, just one. And I always prided myself on my hair... My hair was known among my social circle for being gorgeous. And even though I've been too damaged by meds to style my hair, I thought at least I was losing it like other people were. I just can't with this pain anymore.

Wiggle, I hear you. I thought I had "dodged the bullet", as well.  Now I'm noticing some thinning.  These "drugs" want to take everything, from us.  I haven't worked out whether they just "fry"  your thyroid (leading to hair loss.), or if they just "stuff" up your system so much that the "stress" of it all, causes your hair to fall out.  I liken it to "chemotherapy"!!!   I think it's the last assault as a woman, and I feel your pain. Having said that, I believe , given time , our "tresses", will return to their "former glory". (LOL). Like everything in withdrawal, it's just a matter of time.     Stay strong.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

So sorry, Wiggle. My hair has always been really thick. A couple of months back, I absolutely had to manage to get it cut. When I went in, my hairdresser commented on how my hair had "thinned out":(

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

My hair started falling out on Cipralex. That's why I wanted to stop taking it. When withdrawal started, I had a massive nervous breakdown from the suffering and chopped off all of my hair. Now it's really short and I look terrible, but I don't care that much. That's the least of my problems. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

• Moderator Emeritus

Six months and three weeks off meds: no improvement in vision.  The world looks like I am wearing glasses that are too strong.  Everything looks too sharp and too far away, like when you look in a rearview mirror and it says "Object in mirror are closer than they appear."

This is bullsh**.  It's all bullsh**.  I can't imagine the world looking this way for the rest of my life.  Has anyone recovered from visual problems like this? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Update:  I had a VERY bad stretch of a few hours today.  Checked my symptom calendar and it looks like it's been about a week since I had a day this bad.  

On a good note, I received a message from a man I like who I went on a few dates with before the meds screwed up my life.  Maybe someday I will find out if he and I actually have a shot, but I will have to go through much more recovery before I can see him again.

There are plenty of recovery stories out there, but there are also plenty of non-recovery stories out there for the severe cases like mine.  Obviously, I choose to focus on the good stories, but I wonder if someday I will have to face the music of the hard truth if I don't get well enough to live a normal life again.  

What do you guys think?

Stay positive! I hate that you had a rough day, but the fact that it's been a week since you had a day that bad is a good thing. I was in the same situation yesterday--very bad day, but last REALLY bad day was 8 days before!

Hang in there... You will heal!

Update: I had a VERY bad stretch of a few hours today. Checked my symptom calendar and it looks like it's been about a week since I had a day this bad.

On a good note, I received a message from a man I like who I went on a few dates with before the meds screwed up my life. Maybe someday I will find out if he and I actually have a shot, but I will have to go through much more recovery before I can see him again.

There are plenty of recovery stories out there, but there are also plenty of non-recovery stories out there for the severe cases like mine. Obviously, I choose to focus on the good stories, but I wonder if someday I will have to face the music of the hard truth if I don't get well enough to live a normal life again.

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I do not believe that. I believe everyone gets better, eventually. I don't believe those stories. And, the reason I don't, is because Alto and Rhi have probably the most experience actually communicating with people in WD. And, they both unanimously say that people eventually recover. The time it takes obviously varies from person to person.

Also, I don't believe people's horror stories because often, when they recover, they never come back to give their stories. Alto has mentioned she knows of quite a few people who have recovered from rough WD, and she has asked them numerous times to come here and post a recovery story, and they won't.

People do not want to discuss this stuff when they get better. Being on this site when I'm having better days is the last thing on my mind and I stay as far away from here as possible. And, I think you kinda do the same thing. I think this is the norm.

I don't even know if I will ever write a recovery story. I want to give people hope, but, I also want to move on. I don't know how much of my life I will devote to rehashing every horrifying detail of my recovery. I don't think I will do that. I don't think a lot of people do that. This is traumatizing. And, most people leave it in the past.

All of this makes it look like people don't recover sometimes, but they do. People recover from major brain injuries and all kinds of things thanks to neuroplasticity.

Also, I have seen a lot of people show up and claim they aren't healing and never got any better, but then you come to find out that while they were off the original drug for 2 years, during those two years they also tried other meds, or drink and smoke pot. I'm pretty sure the experimenting with 5 other AD during those two years probably affected their WD. But, many times, they fail to mention all of this until after they have scared the hell out of eveyone.

Anyways, what I am saying is you are gonna get better. Who knows how long it will take...probably longer than you would like. But, you will recover.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Wildflower is absolutely correct. If I was completely healed and felt good again I would be out and about living a life I haven't had for years. I would like to think I would post a success story to give others hope but who knows really. I am sure time will show you healing. I have to believe that.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wildflower and Frustrated: thank you.

Today's update: Major recurrence today of myoclonic jerks (while awake), dystonia (involuntary contortions of body), and inability to walk because legs jerked repeatedly out from under me and arms contorted so it looks like I'm having Grand Mal seizure.  It was bad enough to where I needed my walker again, which is discouraging because I had been able to get by with a cane for about two weeks.

Suffered recurrence of inability to speak/speech impediments again today—where I can barely think a coherent thought and, if I can, certainly cannot open my mouth to say it.  In those episodes, I have to use gestures to communicate.  It's been (I think) two weeks since I had an episode where I was semi-mute.  I say semi-mute, because I am usually able to say the word "Please" during these episodes.  Additionally, it bears repeating that these episodes are not prompted by anxiety.  The episodes are always preceded by a neurological, sensory, or physical stimulus that I USED to react to normally prior to being exposed to psychiatric medications.           

Now almost seven months off meds (tricyclic and benzo). Very discouraged about whether I will ever be able to recuperate motor function, or will always remain only partially able-bodied.

Sorry you have to go through this. Hugs xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Sun intolerance.  Was in the sun for 30 minutes today and skin flared red like a tomato, which is alarming as I am of Hispanic and Arabic descent and—prior to ever being on meds or suffering from protracted withdrawal—I used to lay out in the sun for 2-3 hours and would barely catch a tan.

I'm so sorry that everything's so hard , at the moment. I do believe, it's temporary, and will improve over time.  My thoughts are with you.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry that everything's so hard , at the moment. I do believe, it's temporary, and will improve over time.  My thoughts are with you.

Thank you AliG, you are being such a kind support system for me.  I am sorry that I am not able to do much racing these days to stop by your thread, or my other friends' threads.  It seem to go in cycles.  For a while, I will be able to visit and comment a lot, and then there will be a while when I just can't handle it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dystonia and myoclonic jerks still very bad.  

Does anybody know of any dystonia recoveries I could read about?

Wiggle, you're going through so much. Don't even worry about "threads".   I'm sorry I can't help with the "dystonia".   (Google??)

• Moderator Emeritus

Terrible insomnia. Brain keeps clicking itself back awake as I begin to drift off. Myoclonic jerks throughout body waking me up. My body will begin to relax into sleep mode with the muscles beginning to relax, then they seize up.

(((Wiggle))) Sorry, I'm not getting around to threads much either. I think that is the case with many of us right now. The nervous does a lot of healing, over time. I can tell you that from my experience with TM. I can say that, at 10 months out, I have had bouts when my symptoms (especially akathisia) have seemed to be progressively worse. This has been going on since about month 4. Thought it was supposed to get better--not worse--but others have said the same, so I'm thinking perhaps this is nornal. Not sure it's really "windows and waves", because I don't really feel I'm following that pattern yet. Some have basically told me it's too soon. That is hard to hear, but perhaps it is true.

• Moderator Emeritus

luv2knit,

Thank you for reminding me about your experience with transverse myelitis.  It is exactly the kind of reminder I need right now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dystonia bad 

Myoclonic jerks bad

Painful tingling and tremors on EVERY part of body: face, hands, ears, too many to name.

:( :( So sorry, Wiggle. The tremors actually returned, briefly, for me a week or so ago. I thought they were gone. I do still frequently get numbness/burning/tingling. At times, it is mostly extremities, but sometimes, even my face and ears burn.

• Moderator Emeritus

luv2knit,

My ears have also burned and felt painful pins and needles there on occasion.  I'm so sorry about your tremors :(  But I hope that since your body was alb to heal itself from transverse myelitis that it learns to heal itself from this, too.  

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't do it. I cannot live with tardive dystonia. I don't want to.

I haven't found one f*cking recovery story about it, but I HAVE found people saying they STILL have it after two years, five years, whenever.

I don't want to try and make a life with this. I don't want to learn to live with it.

In April when I made a dramatic cut in my antipsychotic I developed sever twitching, jerking of muscles and myoclonic jerks along with a sense of psychological terror but only when trying to relax and fall asleep, not during the day. I also had jerking of muscles when trying to fall asleep on Velnafaxine and Citalopram but they stopped when I discontinued them. I guess my withdrawal will be similar to yours. 

WiggleIt you said before that you were having some decent days, do I remember correctly? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Decent, but still disabled.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've figured out why people don't come back and post recovery stories about medication-induced dystonia. Because there aren't any.

Those people aren't out enjoying their lives like normal and forgetting about the antidepressant support groups. They have joined different support groups for people with movement disorders.

I don't want to live like this. I'm done. I'm not going to harm myself, but I am sure as h*** done thinking I'm going to magically heal from what is obviously a permanent movement disorder.

It's over. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking about being out in the real world again. I will learn to make my life solely inside my home, with my family, and will continue denying visits from non-family.

I think your situation will improve but will probably need more time. 7 months is still early. Are there any improvements, no matter how small?